Cruise Critic Community
TheDougOut

Everything... Norwegian ENCORE! Launch Nov 2019

11 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Has anyone seen yet an exact date and time for the Handover Ceremony?

The date is Oct 30th. Time? Pretty likely in the morning... something like 10 or 11 am... But this will be inside anyway. The only thing you can see from the outside will be the change of flags.

steamboats

1 minute ago, SailBreakaway said:

I'm not sure NCL has given an exact time yet for them to hand over the keys to @TheDougOut.

😉

I’m just hoping they let me board.  

31 minutes ago, steamboats said:

The date is Oct 30th. Time? Pretty likely in the morning... something like 10 or 11 am... But this will be inside anyway. The only thing you can see from the outside will be the change of flags.

steamboats

Thank You   I hope they put the Bahamas flag up correctly this time.

20 hours ago, SailBreakaway said:

The following statement is purely me venting. I’m not expecting an actual answer...

Pressure Relief Valve Open..

I don’t get it. First let me say, I am on the Inaugural TA because it is the last of the BA class of ships that we have loved as a family (esp 2015 era NCL Management - Breakaway from NY) and my wife and I have wanted to do an inaugural TA for years. Were going to be indoors for many days and that’s something we love. Deck space and outdoor events won’t have any impact on us, nor will crowds like Summertime out of NY.  I had a Summer Bermuda booked on Encore and I’ve cancelled it. I won’t spend 5000$+ on that ship for a summer sailing that is packed. 

I keep reading over and over again about the lack of deckspace, the loss of Spice, the massive amounts of real estate made into some sort of Virtual  Reality, the extra charges for everything, and on and on. And then you read post after post of everyone throwing their money at NCL for this ship!!!! WHY? Book Getaway, Book Breakaway, Book Escape, Book Bliss or Joy even, but why is everyone investing in a product they don’t like?? Soon FDR will bloviate to his shareholders how Encore has more bookings than any other ship NCL has had and further out and on and on and on. He will brag how their go to market strategy for paid venues and virtual reality and go carts lead the industry in generating revenue both pre cruise and on board spending, yet over and over educated cruisers say “This is awful.... But I’m booked”. With all the options of ships and experiences and beautifully designed decks,  why??!?!?

This is rhetorical. I know some will love the design, mothers and fathers of kids and families may think this design is the pinnacle of cruising (until they want to spend an hour in the sun without the kids)

Time will tell, however I just don’t understand why so many will flock to book this ship at premium prices, but will declare the design sucks. 

I’m done.

Not looking for answers, just to vent. It’s capitalism, open free markets, and it’s what out country is founded on, but I just can’t get over with this design that “If you build it they will come”. 

Carry on!

Having said all that we are like 17 days from boarding and I’m excited as heck to do this Trans Atlantic with our family of 500 CC members!!

I get it and agree and if we weren't in the Haven, I would have booked a different line.

However, the reason I booked this ship, is that it is leaving New York.  I cruise often and once every few years

it is nice to leave close to home.  I would have booked any NCL newer/Away ship out of NY for next August, it wasn't

specifically the Encore.  That all said, I cannot wait to cruise on the Encore. If I were others and didn't care what port I was going to leave from, I would be canceling.  I don't get why people are upset before they get on the ship and still spending the money to sail if before final payment.

Edited by js

We're booked on Encore in February for a number of reasons, and not one of them has to do with the ship itself. However, I'm fine with waiting and seeing how the layout works before making judgments. 

As long as we can find a spot to relax on the Waterfront or in the Observation Lounge (which I'm so glad they have brought back), we'll be happy. 

"As long as we can find a spot to relax on the Waterfront..."

Good luck with that. With SpiceH20 eliminated, and literally ALL of the public upper deck space absorbed by the massive new vibe, there's only one outdoor no-fee public area left for the crowds to spillover to...and that's the Waterfront. RIP Waterfront. 

12 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

As final payment is approaching, I'm seriously considering switching ships. What were they thinking?! 

I can’t say I blame you.  

30 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Is this the 1st Haven pool with that setup? I don't know what Joy's looks like.

It's different from the others regarding shape.

Here's Joy;

44 minutes ago, Steff79 said:

What do you mean? One pool and the other water for the loungers.?

Encore has the "ankle depth" area around the pool. I hadn't seen that before. 

The Haven pool looks nice but I would love to see both "pool areas" combined for a larger pool. I know its a plunge pool but it could be bigger.  Its not a Jewel class ship with only a few Haven passengers.  In any event, anything is an improvement IMHO so I like this subtle change.

27 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

The Haven pool looks nice but I would love to see both "pool areas" combined for a larger pool. I know its a plunge pool but it could be bigger.  Its not a Jewel class ship with only a few Haven passengers.  In any event, anything is an improvement IMHO so I like this subtle change.

I'd keep the dividing wall where one half is the usual depth (3'11") and the other half is about 6ft. or so. Lose the "ankle depth" and make it a full width pool.

I am not sure if a larger pool is possible, it may be to way forward and high up (this is deck 17 after all) and could possible cause stability problems? Or well that's what I made of the small Haven pools.. :classic_smile:

17 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

I am not sure if a larger pool is possible, it may be to way forward and high up (this is deck 17 after all) and could possible cause stability problems? Or well that's what I made of the small Haven pools.. :classic_smile:

MSC have no issues putting a bigger pool even higher.

59 minutes ago, JohnIreland said:

They did a great job on Meraviglia, Bellisima, and Grandiosa. I’ll see if I can post a news drone photo from its inaugural Manhattan arrival of the top deck. They did like an aft ampatheater tiered seating surrounding a pool, great efficient use of the space. They also have the main pool (good sized), slides, ropes course, a solarium pool just forward of the main pool (like RCCL) with a Haven retractable roof, AND the YC area forward of the solarium and pool. We’re sailing on her in February. 

B3467067-7D33-4C8A-BE69-0E622A092A2F.png

47B15C94-54DC-407C-AD72-C165ECA9AFB9.png

12 hours ago, JohnIreland said:

Perhaps that's due to the different design, I can imagine a top heavy/-ier ship needs i.e. bigger stabilizer fins (when in use) or more immersion to have a certain amount of stability and that there's no technical space for it on the BA/BA+ class design? Or a larger pool would simply cost too much space in the Garden Cafe's kitchen on deck 16 below (Escape has the fitness center there, cast your votes for a dry dock hint to NCL!)

NCL really did an effort in the evolution of this class I think, so if a larger Haven courtyard pool would be possible they probably would have done it or.. it was greatly overlooked.

On 10/18/2019 at 5:15 PM, Apsalar said:

We're booked on Encore in February for a number of reasons, and not one of them has to do with the ship itself. However, I'm fine with waiting and seeing how the layout works before making judgments. 

As long as we can find a spot to relax on the Waterfront or in the Observation Lounge (which I'm so glad they have brought back), we'll be happy. 

Exactly. I’m not a complainer and will take any day on a cruise but I’m there to relax and if I can’t find any place to do that I will not be happy. I will be very interested to read the reviews when the ship starts sailing.

On 2/1/2018 at 5:46 AM, rtkenmore said:

We just got off the Joy. Trust me, that design is not a disaster 

I don’t know. There was a lot of things custom done for the Asian market on joy. I can’t imagine they do these same things for encore to spend a year in Miami and then go to Asia. Look at the upper decks on joy. A design like that would be a disaster in the North American market.

I loved the YC Club pool and deck on MSC SEASIDE.  It's a real pool and spacious deck all the way forward, and I don't feel like I'm swimming in a deep well like I do in the Haven on the newest ships.  The pencil pool is a bit of a joke with walls all around.

I think EPIC has the best Haven of all the NCL ships.  Much nicer Haven pool and deck area, and even POSH is quite wonderful.

fullsizeoutput_58d4.jpg

fullsizeoutput_58d5.jpg

fullsizeoutput_5740.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5741.jpg