All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

Hello fellow AMA cruisers! We leave the end of the month for AMA's Enticing Duoro, Portugal. While we have been on 4 other rivers with AMA, this cruise is a bit unusual as there is no night crusing and more bus travel to get where we need to be, which is fine. I have searched but find no "recent" reviews. If anyone can share their experiences, we would appreciate it. We are staying in Porto 2 nights after the cruise on our own. Thank you!

We are doing AMA's Enticing Duoro next year. Hope you a post a review when you return. Safe travels and have a wonderful time.

I meant to take photos of all of the menus for the week, but only took photos the first night. Fish, beef and vegetarian each night.

Note the "Always Available" items. If you did not like the night's menu you could always have steak, salmon, chicken, etc...

20180820_190716.thumb.jpg.55f4c7ac352921f5814fc9e2d41d5f3e.jpg

20180820_190711.thumb.jpg.a306ac494c785c265cb6104e28a22dca.jpg

Enjoyed the pictures. Anyone doing the Gems of Southeast Europe on the AmaCerto? Leaving US Sep 18 for pre-cruise out of Bucharest. Any suggestions from anyone?

We did that cruise last October. If you have any questions about it ask away. We did the pre and post extensions and went from Vienna to Bucharest.

Funny, only sailed 6 months ago and neither one of us can remember the wine. I am going to say there was very limited selection poured at meals, but nice wines, not amazing. Comfortable shoes a must, the walking was not difficult, but lots of walking to enjoy everything on the river, and the shore locations were very lovely spots to be able to walk around the towns. Ensure you have a light sweater for the temples, always asked at the gates if what we had was sufficient, once got told we were fine, only to reach the temple and be told no, some areas would say a shawl was fine, and then we would get inside and they wanted a full sleeve, wish I had just always packed a light sweater to cover my shoulders. For some reason, a fellow traveller was carrying 3 sweaters at one stop and bailed 2 of us out! Overall an amazing experience, and hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

We did that cruise last October. If you have any questions about it ask away. We did the pre and post extensions and went from Vienna to Bucharest.

Did you enjoy this cruise? We leave tomorrow for Vienna and board the AmaCerto on Saturday. We are hoping we can take the ship the entire way as we have been hearing that the water levels have been very low.

Did you enjoy this cruise? We leave tomorrow for Vienna and board the AmaCerto on Saturday. We are hoping we can take the ship the entire way as we have been hearing that the water levels have been very low.

Loved the cruise. Out of the 4 AMA cruises we did it was my favorite. Found Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania fascinating and the guides all seemed to have different views on how communism affected their countries. We went in October so had no problems with water levels but the itinerary had to be changed slightly as a bridge was being replaced in Serbia and we missed seeing Mohacs and Vukovar but Constanta, Romania was added. Our cruise manager was Florentin who was wonderful. Enjoy your cruise, it will be fantastic!

I have loved seeing the food pictures and menus. Again just trying to get my brain round river vs what I know on ocean. Typically how many courses a night do folks have - my husband is an appetiser, soup or salad, main and dessert guy - would those we are table sharing with frown on 4 courses being ordered?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have loved seeing the food pictures and menus. Again just trying to get my brain round river vs what I know on ocean. Typically how many courses a night do folks have - my husband is an appetiser, soup or salad, main and dessert guy - would those we are table sharing with frown on 4 courses being ordered?

We had all four courses nearly every night. No problems. If someone at the table did not want a particular course they waited until the next course was served.

Tip: There is an entry salad offered every night. They will bring you a smaller version as a second course as an alternate to the soup. Or in addition to the soup.

We had all four courses nearly every night. No problems. If someone at the table did not want a particular course they waited until the next course was served.

Tip: There is an entry salad offered every night. They will bring you a smaller version as a second course as an alternate to the soup. Or in addition to the soup.

Brilliant thanks!

Loved the cruise. Out of the 4 AMA cruises we did it was my favorite. Found Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania fascinating and the guides all seemed to have different views on how communism affected their countries. We went in October so had no problems with water levels but the itinerary had to be changed slightly as a bridge was being replaced in Serbia and we missed seeing Mohacs and Vukovar but Constanta, Romania was added. Our cruise manager was Florentin who was wonderful. Enjoy your cruise, it will be fantastic!

Thanks so much fo the quick reply. I hope we do not have river level issues; however, I am sure AMA will take care of us regardless. We have a hurricane heading this way so a bit concerned about leaving home. Water levels, hurricanes--deep breaths, deep breaths--LOL.

Thanks so much fo the quick reply. I hope we do not have river level issues; however, I am sure AMA will take care of us regardless. We have a hurricane heading this way so a bit concerned about leaving home. Water levels, hurricanes--deep breaths, deep breaths--LOL.

Hopefully it will all work out for you. We had some minor issues with 2 of our cruises ( the bridge repair in Serbia and in June extremely busy locks that affected the timing when we got to ports ) but AMA goes above and beyond to make things work out for their passengers. Awful timing with the hurricane, hope it changes course or gets downgraded, I can appreciate your concern.

Hello!

My guide in Amsterdam is Frank K, he has been great to deal with so far. The canal cruise was booked with www.privateboattours.nl after recommendations from a friend who did a cruise with them. The two restaurants we booked, based on getting Dutch food that was not too eclectic and fancy and that had good reviews, were Bleu Bistro https://www.facebook.com/bleuamsterdam and Van Speyk http://vanspeyk.amsterdam.

Wendy

I am just now starting to read all of the posts on this board. My husband and I are considering booking our first river cruise on AmaWaterways in 2020, so the information on this board is very helpful. I also wanted to comment on the Van Speyk restaurant in Amsterdam. We went there for a pre-cruise dinner with a group of people who were going to be on a Celebrity Silhouette Cruise with us that began in Amsterdam in August 2016. We all enjoyed the food there.

For anyone who is doing the Amsterdam Tulip Time cruise you can add the AmaKristina which is cruising on April 9, you will be able to get an overview of what is happening each day of the cruise. Thanks again.

Since you mentioned it, we are thinking of booking one of the Tulip Time cruises in 2020. Do you or anyone else on this board have a suggestion as to what dates and ships we should consider when booking this cruise? Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Judy and Bill