All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

25 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Hello fellow AMA cruises;  I was reading a forum on Viking and they stated there is no dress code on Viking.  You wear what you want for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  So what is the feedback from Ama cruisers regarding dress for all three meals?  Thanks and have fun out there

Good morning, I would say that is true.  I sailed with AMA back in 2016 and will be going again with them in

April:classic_biggrin:.   I recall the dress code being very casual......I wore jeans/long sleeves every day. I did change for

dinner but that was my choice. I didn't get "dressed up" but after touring all day, I prefer to change for dinner.

Example would be from blue jeans to black ones or black slacks.....as for breakfast and lunch? You are in

the clothes you will be wearing all day so yes, you wear the same thing for your daytime meals.

I would also suggest a good pair of walking shoes....not necessarily a "walker" but a closed

toe shoe that is comfortable for all day outside....most tours have quite a bit walking with them.

8 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Lois R,  thanks.  We are on Ama Stella in May.  I have a pair of merrill shoes which are waterproof.   Aren't you doing a TA crossing this year?

Hi, yes...going on  a crossing and then after arriving in Barcelona I am flying to Lisbon for a river cruise on The

Douro:classic_biggrin: and The Stella was the riverboat I sailed too!!!  It is lovely:classic_smile:

This trip crossing/river cruise is a big trip!!! I recently retired on Dec 31st and this is a retirement celebration

for a month:classic_biggrin:

We sailed in July so breakfast and lunch most were in shorts or sun dresses.  The evenings I would describe it as country club casual. Ladies were in casual dresses or summer dress pants. Men were in docker style pants and some had sports coats on. I did not see any jeans in the dining room during the evening. In fact our teenage boys were with us and recall the cruise director saying no jeans for them. It is very casual but most tend to get cleaned up as another out it for dinner. 

1 hour ago, mdroho34 said:

We sailed in July so breakfast and lunch most were in shorts or sun dresses.  The evenings I would describe it as country club casual. Ladies were in casual dresses or summer dress pants. Men were in docker style pants and some had sports coats on. I did not see any jeans in the dining room during the evening. In fact our teenage boys were with us and recall the cruise director saying no jeans for them. It is very casual but most tend to get cleaned up as another out it for dinner. 

Hi, I went in April to Amsterdam and the itinerary was cool out every day...cool enough most folks had some sort

of sweater or jacket on...…….

As for jeans?  It has been 4 years so maybe I just don't remember but I could swear nobody said anything about

no jeans for dinner.....I thought some folks stayed in the same clothes they had worn all day (I could be wrong

of course).  As mentioned, I did change my clothes though.

Hi AF-1.  We sailed in November of 2018.  We usually changed for dinner but not necessarily dressy (leggings, a sweater or blouse) but we did dress for the dinner at The Chef’s Table.  Most men had jackets, ladies were black pants and blouses.  Few were in dresses.  For the most part it is very casual in the dining room but most people we never were told any dress code as in.no jeans. I’m sure there were nights my husband wore a pair of jeans to dinner.  

Ive booked a Captivating Rhine for my mom and I, leaving Sept 7, AMS to BSL. Flights out of BSL were limited, expensive and  without good connections for us so we booked out of ZUR, Sept 14 at noon.  We have booked a private transfer from BSL to ZUR, leaving at 745a. If others are interested in joining, please reply. I know most will take the train but my mom is 85 and I am looking for door-to-door for her. It is my understanding Ama does not provide transfers direct to ZUR; just to BSL or to ZUR via the post-cruise. The drive from the port to Zurich airport is 70 minutes. 

On 1/30/2020 at 9:14 PM, dylandog1 said:

Ive booked a Captivating Rhine for my mom and I, leaving Sept 7, AMS to BSL. Flights out of BSL were limited, expensive and  without good connections for us so we booked out of ZUR, Sept 14 at noon.  We have booked a private transfer from BSL to ZUR, leaving at 745a. If others are interested in joining, please reply. I know most will take the train but my mom is 85 and I am looking for door-to-door for her. It is my understanding Ama does not provide transfers direct to ZUR; just to BSL or to ZUR via the post-cruise. The drive from the port to Zurich airport is 70 minutes. 

Pls post a review/ suggestions etc. Looking @ this for next year. Thinking of taking the train to Paris from Zurich ( about 4+/- hrs w/o airport hassle) and then flying home to NYC from CDG

Have a great trip

Carole

Needing info about SA suites on Magna. Read a trip report and writer said that the music and revelry from the lounge at night could be noisy in tyhe front cabins. Has anyone stayed in the first SA cabins and was noise a problem? I’m looking at 304. Thx!

On 2/4/2020 at 5:57 PM, Pompein said:

Needing info about SA suites on Magna. Read a trip report and writer said that the music and revelry from the lounge at night could be noisy in tyhe front cabins. Has anyone stayed in the first SA cabins and was noise a problem? I’m looking at 304. Thx!

We are going on Magna in September so I can't speak to that but we were on AmaKristina and the distance from the lounge to the first cabins was separated by the elevator area so once you left the lounge the sound didn't seem to travel.  Perhaps it is the same.  Sadly for us the ship was mostly sold out when we booked Magna for September 20th and we had to take cabin 243, I believe it may be next to captains quarters but not sure so I am also worried about potential sound.  Has anyone been around cabin 243 on Magna?

On 2/3/2018 at 6:40 AM, sueleekey said:

We are doing a 14 day cruise out of AMS in June!!! Any tips from former Ama sailers? This is our first river boat cruise!!!

sueleekey,

River cruises are wonderful, and you can'tgo wrong with Ama!  We're doing Nuremberg to Luxembourg in June (just the river part).  Be sure you try the chef's table at the stern. 

VirginiaTraveler

1 hour ago, VirginiaTraveler said:

sueleekey,

River cruises are wonderful, and you can'tgo wrong with Ama!  We're doing Nuremberg to Luxembourg in June (just the river part).  Be sure you try the chef's table at the stern. 

VirginiaTraveler

I assume you're doing the Rivers & Castles trip. We're doing that in October (same direction, with pre and post stays). So few poeple have commented on this trip here and on the "Book of Face" page for AMA. I hope you post reviews and/or photos.

On 2/6/2020 at 6:35 PM, Annie11455 said:

I assume you're doing the Rivers & Castles trip. We're doing that in October (same direction, with pre and post stays). So few poeple have commented on this trip here and on the "Book of Face" page for AMA. I hope you post reviews and/or photos.

Could you please clarify what "Book of Face" is.  I have never come across that expression in any of my research.

Thx GrammaRama

35 minutes ago, GrammaRama said:

Could you please clarify what "Book of Face" is.  I have never come across that expression in any of my research.

Thx GrammaRama

Hi,  I think it is a play on words...… do you know the initials FB? I am guessing that is what they are referring to......

On 2/6/2020 at 5:35 PM, Annie11455 said:

2 hours ago, GrammaRama said:

Thx GrammaRama

Trying to be too cute for her own good.  If this was illegal, the Host [that would be me, a human with far greater preceptive powers than bots] would have spotted it and dinged her.  But it is ok to refer to a cruise line's own Facebook page.  The prohibition is against sending people [or even referring to the existence of] non-Cruise Critic groups that compete with our Roll Calls.

49 minutes ago, GrammaRama said:

I guess my name GrammaRama explains why the question was raised.  FB and Book of Face is not part of my vocabulary and I intend to keep it that way.  Thanks for the explanation.

Sorry - I didn't see this until now.

Yes, FB and Book of Face are Facebook. I didn't know if even mentioning that would be "illegal". 

I've seen many, many posts on Christmas Market trips and other itineraries but very few ever mention the Rivers & Castles trip. Just like I've yet to see any "real" photos of the cabins on the lowest level. We opted to save a little so we can splurge elsewhere. This will probably be our last chance to see Paris because we'll be retiring soon'ish and I don't foresee being able to go on grand vacations after that. 😞

Hi Annie11455. We were in one of the smallest cabins in 2018.  There are pictures(I recall) on tha AMA website and in their brochure. We found the cabin  sufficient for us. Just two windows just above the water.  Our luggage fit under the bed and there was plenty of closet space, shelf space and night stands with a drawer on each side.   Our ship sometimes tendered to other ships so those with balconies had a “view” of someone else’s room.   We spent very little time in the room since we were put all day on excursions or in the dining room or lounge. We booked again in 2021 and took the same room.

31 minutes ago, hoosier2017 said:

Hi Annie11455. We were in one of the smallest cabins in 2018.  There are pictures(I recall) on tha AMA website and in their brochure. We found the cabin  sufficient for us. Just two windows just above the water.  Our luggage fit under the bed and there was plenty of closet space, shelf space and night stands with a drawer on each side.   Our ship sometimes tendered to other ships so those with balconies had a “view” of someone else’s room.   We spent very little time in the room since we were put all day on excursions or in the dining room or lounge. We booked again in 2021 and took the same room.

I was hoping to see "real" pictures. Kind of like the photos you see of a representative hotel room compared to what you get. It's "bad enough" that the AMASiena is still under construction. I want to see her! LOL

I'm really glad to see that other folks like to try to save a little money on the room so they can spend it on the experience.  🙂

1 hour ago, Annie11455 said:

I was hoping to see "real" pictures. Kind of like the photos you see of a representative hotel room compared to what you get. It's "bad enough" that the AMASiena is still under construction. I want to see her! LOL

I'm really glad to see that other folks like to try to save a little money on the room so they can spend it on the experience.  🙂

How under construction?  we are looking at the August 2 10 day

The pictures on the AMA website (and you can look at your actual ship) are exactly what you get.  There was also a fridge in the room.  Bathroom was compact but fine for us wIth storage in the medicine cabinet.  The room is “cozy” but we didn’t have a problem with the size.  One morning while sailing we sat at the back of the ship (in the evening the room is used as the chef’s table dining room, another afternoon we were up on deck soaking in the sun (a beautiful warm November day), the lounge is always open with plenty of seating.  The staff is incredible, friendly and will do everything to make you happy.  Enjoy your trip.  

AmaSiena is the latest in the generation of ships that started with AmaStella and AmaViola in 2016 and continued with AmaKristina in 2017, AmaLea in 2018 and AmaMora in 2019.  So pictures or reviews from any of those ships should give you the information you are looking for about cabins on AmaSiena.  And since the shipyard has already built five in this series, I wouldn't have any worries about their meeting the completion dates.