Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sueleekey

All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Recommended Posts

now I'm confused, we were told tips were $20 a day pp or $280 and you also tip tour guides. My rep said everything else is all inclusive. We were never told to tip the wait staff, assumed it was included in the tips. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, coevan said:

now I'm confused, we were told tips were $20 a day pp or $280 and you also tip tour guides. My rep said everything else is all inclusive. We were never told to tip the wait staff, assumed it was included in the tips. 

I was including the whole staff in "tips", not to individually tip. Except cruise director.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, coevan said:

now I'm confused, we were told tips were $20 a day pp or $280 and you also tip tour guides. My rep said everything else is all inclusive. We were never told to tip the wait staff, assumed it was included in the tips. 

On our last river cruise, which was a 7 day, we paid $326 for both of us on our invoice as we prepaid our gratuties.  We like to tip extra to bartenders, our room attendant and some waiters from time to time for the excellent service. We also tip the tour guide/bus driver who usually share the tips.  But for convenience of not carrying a lot of extra cash, we pay the full gratuties up front on our total invoice as part of the cost of our trip and it includes everyone.  Sorry if I confused you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, beachbumsns said:

we pay the full gratuties up front on our total invoice as part of the cost of our trip and it includes everyone. 

 

 

13 minutes ago, beachbumsns said:

We like to tip extra to bartenders, our room attendant and some waiters from time to time for the excellent service.

 

Other than off the ship tips, You sound like these 2 comments contradict each other. I am, was, in the hospitality industry my entire life and generally a pretty generous tipper. Our last land based trip to Europe it seemed tipping like the U.S. 20% is frowned upon. We want to do the right thing and not appear cheap. Do you tip the bartenders for every drink like a bar in the states? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coevan said:

 

 

 

Other than off the ship tips, You sound like these 2 comments contradict each other. I am, was, in the hospitality industry my entire life and generally a pretty generous tipper. Our last land based trip to Europe it seemed tipping like the U.S. 20% is frowned upon. We want to do the right thing and not appear cheap. Do you tip the bartenders for every drink like a bar in the states? 

No just a few times throughout the cruise.  Definitely not for every drink. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, knitter said:

Gratuities question- can you charge them on board or do you need cash? I'm guessing cash for the cruise director, but not sure about the stewards, wait staff, etc. Thanks.

BTW: We got a very good air fare thru AMA for a our Normandy cruise next month. Still awaiting documents, however.

Sandy

There is a suggested amount per day per passenger. That covers all the staff on board. You can pay in advance or on board  with cash or credit card. We chose to some small bills on hand throughout the cruise to tip our fav bartender as well as some cash to tip the guides. Clearly that is not what everyone does though as many did not tip them at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, beachbumsns said:

We had our travel agent add them to the bill and paid in Canadian funds.  We tipped extra to wait staff during our cruise.

I thought our TA said we can't add them in now. It's worth asking again just in case I misheard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you use on board credit for your tips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...