All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

Thank you for spotting that, steamboats. I see that the first trip is on 2 November, a round trip through Belgium and the Netherlands from Cologne.

As for the Amaviola, I do not know what happened there, either. I saw her offered a while ago. I wonder if it was more difficult to accomplish a good itinerary, seeing that the low water stretch is upstream from Passau (Vilshofen to be accurate) and a trip downstream would meaning crossing the border into Austria immediately, with the situation in Slovakia possibly uncertain and Hungary now out of reach again, as you posted in another thread. It is certainly easier to do a trip downstream from Cologne on the Rhine with the option of doing a nice change to the itinerary at short notice if needed.

Not sure that I would want to see the low flat lands on a bleak November day, though... Mist and rain have their appeal but more in the hills in my opinion.

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In Kristin’s Blog September 10, she indicated continuing plans to renovate the AmaBella and AmaVerde in 2021.  Any thoughts as to whether that would be something done in the off season ahead of spring sailings?  Booked on AmaBella in August for Gems of Southeast Europe and still trying to be positive. A freshened décor will give me something else to hope for.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for spotting that story, will be interesting if the new layouts offer more that just being able to spread out using the space consumed by the buffet stations.  The challenge may be timely service with everyone coming it at the same time and ready to get on to the next excursion. I do not mind being served vs. balancing my plate. 

• 3 months later...

I read today on "TravelPulse" that the AmaLucia is scheduled to set sail on 16 March.That is a little ambitious if they want to fill the ship with guests from the UK and further afield. As of now, the Netherlands is struggling with the situation and even has a curfew. Hopefully things will be much better by March and the entry ban from the UK and Schengen countries has been lifted.

notamermaid

@notamermaid, I´m not sure where they´ve got this information. But I saw quite a few "restart" articles just quoting the next cruise which is available for booking. There´s no way that AmaWaterways can restart mid March with their regular customers (US, UK, Australia). The German online travel agent which had the cooperation last year does not offer the AmaLucia or the mentioned tulip time cruise.

steamboats

@steamboats I was a bit puzzled by the article but AmaWaterways had been big on press releases and interviews in the past couple of weeks so it seemed up to date info in the article, perhaps even coming from AmaWaterways. But they were not quoted directly, that I noticed. On Ama's website I cannot find the Amalucia doing the exact date of 16 March. The AmaSiena is supposed to sail on 18 March.

The cooperation with the German agent seems not to have been taken up again. You are right, I noticed that, too. Not sure what is going on there, but then we have changes almost everyday in the news right now. AmaWaterways states they inform passengers 45 days out about any changes to the itineraries, which would be about now.

I am skeptical of a restart at all in March.

notamermaid

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But hope springs eternal...

It certainly does. And very much so in the "ever trying to be the optimist" tourism marketing departments.

16 March for the Amalucia was the date given by several websites, also cruisecritic, about a year ago. I mean 16 March 2021 was the original date for launching the ship. I have not read anything about a postponement, but bookable seem to be only cruises from April.

Will see how it goes, the Amalucia might be christened on the day in a small-ish ceremony and set sail, but if she will take more than a few chosen VIP's, who knows... Facebooks users might see a bit more in the next couple of weeks.

As a side note: as of today, she has no entry in two websites compiling ship data, I could not find any ENI number yet and she is not listed on marinetraffic or signalling on cruisemapper.

notamermaid

Just got a link from my sister for a special Celiac only cruise....March 15-21 2021.  Told her I wouldn't even get excited about it sailing.

It would be nice if the various lines could do one cruise a year like this though.  Especially for people who have to worry about cross-contamination.

*Deleted link ...although it's an Ama page, it does have a special "Event's" contact for booking.

Edited by Daisi

• Hi everyone!  We rescheduled our Medieval Treasurers cruise from October 2020 to September 2021.  A bit bummed as we were to sail on the new AMALucia and are now on the AMACerto.  Not the end of the world considering what's been going on.  Joyful both of us received our first Moderna Covid 19 shots yesterday!  Anyway, staying positive, does anyone know how many locks we will go through starting in Basal and ending in Nuremberg?  Just curious.  We are brining friends of ours (their first rivercruise) and they are excited to get all the info they can.  Thank you!

Coming from Basel up to the confluence of the Main with the Rhine there are 10 locks to go through, from wikipedia Germany "Rheinschifffahrt": town and kilometre marker along the embankment

Kembs (F)179,10

Ottmarsheim (F)193,64

Fessenheim (F)210,51

Vogelgrün (F)224,54

Marckolsheim (F)239,88

Rhinau (F)256,15

Gerstheim (F)272,23

Straßburg (F)287,36

Gambsheim (F)308,83

Iffezheim (D)334,00

notamermaid

We are in US. In a quandary here. Moved our Danube cruise from last October 2020 to first week of June 2021. Final payment coming up next week.

I really don't think cruising will start In early June (not enough vaccinated, lockdowns, new variants, etc). Didn't purchase the Travel Waiver Plus, but have trip insurance. We can either cancel (but lose deposit plus future cruise benefit purchased in 2019. Make final payment and if they cancel then get 115% fcc but they keep our money longer, or rebook and kick the can down the road!) We are a family group with 4 cabins. All but one couple have gotten both vaccines. Main hang up is what will cruising look like and will we be able to do/see all as before, will it be worth the new prices we are seeing?

Any suggestions? 

43 minutes ago, Pompein said:

We are in US. In a quandary here. Moved our Danube cruise from last October 2020 to first week of June 2021. Final payment coming up next week.

I really don't think cruising will start In early June (not enough vaccinated, lockdowns, new variants, etc). Didn't purchase the Travel Waiver Plus, but have trip insurance. We can either cancel (but lose deposit plus future cruise benefit purchased in 2019. Make final payment and if they cancel then get 115% fcc but they keep our money longer, or rebook and kick the can down the road!) We are a family group with 4 cabins. All but one couple have gotten both vaccines. Main hang up is what will cruising look like and will we be able to do/see all as before, will it be worth the new prices we are seeing?

Any suggestions? 

Ask AMA for more time for final payment?

On 2/9/2021 at 4:58 PM, notamermaid said:

Coming from Basel up to the confluence of the Main with the Rhine there are 10 locks to go through, from wikipedia Germany "Rheinschifffahrt": town and kilometre marker along the embankment

Kembs (F)179,10

Ottmarsheim (F)193,64

Fessenheim (F)210,51

Vogelgrün (F)224,54

Marckolsheim (F)239,88

Rhinau (F)256,15

Gerstheim (F)272,23

Straßburg (F)287,36

Gambsheim (F)308,83

Iffezheim (D)334,00

notamermaid

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

We are doing back-to-back Christmas Market Cruises (Danube then Rhine) on the AMA Lea and then AMA Lucia. This will be our 4th & 5th AMA cruises and we will be going with a couple we met on the 2014 Magnificent Europe Christmas Cruise. 

It looks like AMA is not doing the Magnificent Europe after 1 scheduled in May 2021 which may or may not go. IS it just too expensive to go the through the Main River Canal? That is the only thing I can come up with because I am pretty sure they were popular but maybe not enough. We would have loved to do another Magnificent Europe Christmas if offered. 

Have you guys noticed how much AMA prices have gone up since this pandemic?   I took the 115% FCC; which AMA has on file.  But the same cruise and same cabin for 2022 or 2023 has gone up so much that am not going to be getting anything extra.  I thought I might be able to upgrade my cabin or get airfare;  but I don't think that is going to happen.  

14 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Have you guys noticed how much AMA prices have gone up since this pandemic?   I took the 115% FCC; which AMA has on file.  But the same cruise and same cabin for 2022 or 2023 has gone up so much that am not going to be getting anything extra.  I thought I might be able to upgrade my cabin or get airfare;  but I don't think that is going to happen.  

That is such a pity. Somewhat to be expected but still disappointing to have used up almost all the extra 15 percent (if I understand you correctly). I suspect others will join you in that experience.

notamermaid

On 2/9/2021 at 9:47 PM, SCHappilyRetired said:

Anyway, staying positive, does anyone know how many locks we will go through starting in Basal and ending in Nuremberg?  Just curious.

I have just realized that gnome12 gave you the locks on the Main Danube Canal and I gave you the ones on the Rhine, so the ones on the Main are missing. Here they are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_(river)

If you would like some more info on the Main, here is the thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2670259-the-river-main-infos-and-river-cruising-experiences/

notamermaid