Haggling?

cleobella

Hi,

Does anyone know if you are expected to "haggle" or negotiate what you will pay when shopping in Bonaire or Aruba? I have heard that at the flea markets in Curacao you do haggle, but not in Grand Cayman or some other islands. Kind of confusing and I don't want to be offensive to any of the vendors.

I can't speak for Aruba but on Bonaire the majority of the items for sale have a price displayed. If you see items that have no price shown then you can negotiate on those pieces. The Arts and Crafts Cruise Market in Wilhelmina Plaza has some really unique handmade work by their vendors. I would definitely stop there and take a look around.

"Expected", no. But there is no harm in asking for a different price anywhere in the Caribbean. DH will occasionally just say something like, "Would you take ## for these?" when he's about to buy something.

And often, while looking at something, the salesperson will just come up to us and offer a lower cost, or add a " if you buy two, you can get them for ##".

The islands are NOT like Mexico where everyone expects to haggle for the lowest prices. And where it gets "serious".