ronbe65

What Carnival is yours?

"I cruised on such and such cruise line and did not like it."

"I cruised on such and such cruise line and liked it."

"What cruise line to choose for my next year cruise?"

Sounds familiar?

Yes.

It happens over and over.

New cruisers sometimes do not realize that a cruise line is nothing, the ship is everything.

Carnival ships differ like day and night. Same related to Royal Caribbean, NCL, HAL...

You did not like Carnival?

What ship did you cruise on?

I cruise on different ships / different cruise lines.

It lets me enjoy cruise life at its fullness.

I can jump from Oceania to NCL, then from Viking to Carnival, and continue on Cunard...

Fellow cruisers from other boards do not understand it: how is it possible to mix "luxury" cruises with Carnival??

I will answer this question little later.

For the "luxury lines" customers Carnival looks like this (photos from Carnival ships):

500.jpg

I am a Carnival advocate on other boards.

Yes, you can see this on Carnival ships if you want to (choose the "right" ship and the "right" itinerary).

But Carnival experience is not limited to this.

As I said, ships differ dramatically.

The Sensation is never the Splendor, the Vista is far from the Miracle...

What Carnival is yours?

I cruise on select Carnival ships and enjoy it.

Don't be afraid of Carnival.

Choose the ship that is right for you.

This is My Carnival

Largest standard cabins at sea:

100.jpg

There is somethong to eat in the MDR:

102.jpg

Something more special:

110.jpg

Best Carnival ships offer romantic promenade decks:

104.jpg

Yes, this is Carnival too:

112.jpg

And this too:

106.jpg

New to Carnival?

Skip the new floating anthills (other cruise lines have them too).

Skip the old ships.

Focus on the Conquest family (#1 is Glory).

Try this itinerary.

600.jpg

Enjoy My Carnival!

What you said!! My Carnival is all of those things. We enjoy the quiet relaxation of the Serenity deck and LOVE the spa. We ride the water slides and do the sky rope course. We go to comedy shows and the playlist shows. We eat at the steakhouse at least once a cruise and want to try the chefs table. Now the other side, at least one day a cruise i tend to have "5 too many" and may be the guy "napping" on a random deck chair. But i will also laugh-at and take a selfie with a random dude passed out on a deck chair. Last cruise, we were the loud group still carrying-on at 3am at the back of the ship.

I learned early, like life, it's what you make of it. We want to try Princess because Love Boat. And I want to try RCL because i want to do ifly tube! I make fun of the "uppity"people that talk **** about the cruise/cruise line when they are on the ship. We will e on the Vista in April and trying to do a cruise on the Miracle in Nov. I suppose i'll report back on the "anthill".

I agree that the big differences in the mass market cruise lines is found within each individual ship. I cringe every time I read a post that compares say food, entertainment, cabins....as a whole from Carnival to RC or NCL. Each ship from all those companies fleets will offer a different experience within the same company let alone against every ship from another line.

When a post says for instance Carnivals food is better than RC but RC’s entertainment is better, I just discount the post because you can only really compare ship to ship not the whole fleet against the whole fleet of these mass market cruise lines.

Love the "floating ant hill" comment. As a seeker of quiet and relaxing spaces I have always been able to find a it possible to relax and enjoy the cruise without needing cruise line to entertain me

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

We're sailing Glory this April, and this will be our 3rd Conquest Class ship. We love them.

The Miracle was very nice as well (love the Solarium).

I agree that the big differences in the mass market cruise lines is found within each individual ship. I cringe every time I read a post that compares say food, entertainment, cabins....as a whole from Carnival to RC or NCL. Each ship from all those companies fleets will offer a different experience within the same company let alone against every ship from another line.

When a post says for instance Carnivals food is better than RC but RC’s entertainment is better, I just discount the post because you can only really compare ship to ship not the whole fleet against the whole fleet of these mass market cruise lines.

I think that food and entertainment should be similar across a line for the basics, the only differences should be when the size of the ship allows for different entertainment and possibly more food choices in specialty venues. But each ship can certainly have a different feel than another ship in the same fleet.

I actually don’t think there is that much difference between the Carnival ships. Or maybe it’s better said that the differences don’t mean much to me. I’ve liked them all. I do think there is a difference in the type of passenger cruising in February versus June. Not better or worse. Just different.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great post! My Carnival is as fun as I make it. I enjoy eating in the MDR, the buffet and am trying the steakhouse for the first time this trip. I love having a balcony, being able to dress up or down and participate in activities or read on the balcony or deck. For us, we chose a cruise based on itinerary and ship.

Service is #1 for us then itinerary. We always book a balcony.

We've sailed CCL, RCCL, HAL and Cunard.

(Toss out Cunard - the Queen Mary 2 was fabulous in all areas :D)

We find the service on CCL is every bit as good as any other line and ship we've been on.

We enjoy the American Menu on CCL. On RCCL and HAL it seems they try to be too gourmet but often miss the mark. On our last HAL cruise it was not infrequent for some at our table for 10 of seasoned cruisers to send back their entree and ask for the every night salmon.

We like that CCL uses many different home ports and enjoy combining sightseeing in an area like Baltimore, Tampa or Jax with a cruise.

I've been cruising for a long time across multiple brands. IMO, there really isn't a good ship or bad ship, or a good cruise line or a bad cruise line. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. The important thing is to find the ship/line that best suits one's needs. Cruise Critic is a great place to help someone make that decision. I'm grateful for others sharing their honest opinions, no matter whether they are positive or negative opinions, because that information helps others make better decisions with their vacation dollars.

I've enjoyed all of my Carnival cruises on different ships. The comedy shows are the best and Carnival often books comedians who have several different shows. This allows us to watch different comedy shows over nearly the entire cruise. Since my husband and I really enjoy comedy shows, that keeps us coming back. I also like that they have self service washing machines so we can do carry-on luggage only. We like to pack light.

The only ship I will not sail on again is the Vista. Every time I watched a show in the theater, it bothered me that it was a terrible theater. They put nice theaters in all of the other ships. I don't know why they down graded the Vista's theater. Also, the lines were much too long for the theater shows and adult comedy shows. I don't mind showing up 1/2 hour before a show, but anything over that is just too long.

On the flip side, I really liked the hand sanitizing machines in the buffet area. That is so much better than just hand sanitizer. I liked that they had their act together on some of the rules. They announced that people should not save seats for more than one person, although there were always rude people who did it anyway. The cruise director was the best I have ever seen. On the departure day for early departures (priority, FTTF, and early flights), they had everyone line up their luggage as soon as they got to the Refelctions restaurant. The cruise director said that the old way made it so the last to arrive were the first to get off of the ship. The new way allows the first to arrive to be the first to leave.

Oh, I also like that Carnival serves food near the pool deck. Guy's Burgers is very good and so is the Mexican area. It's great for a quick lunch. I sail on other cruise lines, but will continue to add Carnival to the mix. I've always had a great time. I don't have a favorite ship.

Hi ronbe65,

While I like the thoughts presented in your post, I am just wondering if maybe you should have placed it elsewhere.

There are only a handful of people that make an effort to come to the Carnival boards only to enlighten Carnival cruisers of all the reasons you shouldn't cruise with Carnival.

If you want to get a varied response of how people view Carnival (apart from a few of your pictures :)) you should possibly make the same post on the "ask a cruise question", or on a few of the threads dedicated to some other cruise lines.

If you do, let us know so we can follow the thoughts being presented there.

I love the post. I really enjoy Carnival when I just want to get away for a week or so and relax. Enjoy the Serenity Area, perhaps enjoy the Steakhouse and/or the Chef's Table , play the Trivia, listen to the music, see a few shows and of course take a couple of excursions. Love it!!

Fantasy class ships have adequate umbrellas in Serenity. Others have none. I can't sit in the sun like that or I'd bake. Carnival, please add umbrellas.

The list of the favorites will not be complete without these elegant ships: Spirit class (Spirit, Legend, Miracle, Pride).

These ships have the best passenger/space ratio (within Carnival fleet).

702.jpg

I've been cruising for a long time across multiple brands. IMO, there really isn't a good ship or bad ship, or a good cruise line or a bad cruise line. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. The important thing is to find the ship/line that best suits one's needs. Cruise Critic is a great place to help someone make that decision. I'm grateful for others sharing their honest opinions, no matter whether they are positive or negative opinions, because that information helps others make better decisions with their vacation dollars.

Exactly! We to have been on multiple brands. Have enjoyed all. We swing back to Carnival two times this year after our last Carnival cruise in 2014.

The next a tough task for you my friends.

All eight pictures below are showing the same Carnival ship.

Please name another ship of any cruise line that offers all these amenities and services.

Don't limit your search. Think of anything from Crystal to MSC and from Europa to Costa.

Forward viewing deck and a separate jogging track:

a6.jpg

Unobstructed views from the balconies:

a8.jpg

Unobsructed promenade deck:

a1.jpg

Central pool area under sliding roof, and aft sea view pool:

a3.jpg

Continued...

Hydrotherapy pool & Spa:

a7.jpg

Lobsters in MDR:

a5.jpg

Afternoon tea:

a4.jpg

Serene sun deck, and the Sports court:

a2.jpg

Enjoy your search!

Bring your ideas!

Too difficult?

Where are you cruise enthusiasts and Carnival loyal customers?

Great post, thank you for posting it, I needed some reassurance of what cruisecritic really is about. Sometimes all the bashing gets so old. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting ronbe. We actually didn't like Splendor very much, especially for warm weather cruising because of the closed in center section. Now for Alaska or the fall in New England she might be great. But agree with you in the Conquest boats. Yet to try the Dream or Vista class.