Don't go to specialty restaurants

tommyj4

Sorry but the criticisms of the mdr are often way over blown. Go to Giovanni’s on oasis and tell me that place isn’t hectic. Oh, and tables side by side and no view. My dad was star class and took my wife and I one trip and we had to wait 30 mins after our reservation time to get seated. It was a hot mess to say the least.

Yep, nothing... ever.... is 100% perfect 100% of the time

Add to this that many criticize many of the pay restaurants too. So your comparisons are a bit exaggerated in many cases. I get where you’re trying to go with this but your examples are too extreme and simply not necessarily the case.

I already know you're in the majority with your thoughts on these forums, it's totally great with me. Food is subjective. So is money. I read these boards daily...I have not seen many negative posts about specialty dining. The issues I quoted were from other reviews and threads that have been posted right here on these forums by other people in recent weeks.

Originally posted by topnole:

Add to this that many criticize many of the pay restaurants too. So your comparisons are a bit exaggerated in many cases. I get where you’re trying to go with this but your examples are too extreme and simply not necessarily the case.

The issues I quoted were from other reviews and threads that have been posted right here on these forums by other people in recent weeks.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2600133

Yes, specialty criticized as well

I totally disagree with the OP. We go to the specialty restaurants 5 nights at least on every cruise. I love the food and service as opposed to the MDR. I like ordering a drink and getting it served within a few minutes rather than getting it closer to the end of the meal.

I like the quiet in the specialty restaurants as opposed to the din in the MDR. I like being able to choose the time I want dinner as opposed to choosing a time for ATD and having to wait in lines to get to the hostess and then on the formal nights being in a holding area waiting for my table.

So, OP, I will continue to use the specialty restaurants and spend my cruise money as I wish, not as you wish.

I agree with you. ;)

I agree with you. ;)

On our last 7 night cruise on Freedom we went to Giovanni's 3 times and Chops grill once.

It was a bit noisy and very busy in the MTD even with reservation's we had a bit of a wait whereas the speciality restaurants we were seated immediately and it was a totally different experience.

My DH insists on getting the 4 or 5 night specialty dining package. I on the other hand am just happy to go to the MDR every night, especially because I don’t have to cook and do dishes:) My DH also insists on booking at a minimum an ocean view balcony, when I would be happy to stay in an inside just so that I could go on a cruise:) He always did call me a “cheap date!”:):):)

I do agree that if you don’t buy a dining package the prices at the specialty restaurants are pretty expensive, especially when you can get a meal down the hall or down the elevator that you have already paid for.....but then I’m not much of a “foodie.”

Like others have said, to each his own. Happy cruising everyone!!

We eat more dinner's in the WJ than any other venue. We'll occasionally eat in MTD (maybe once during a cruise). The only time we have eaten at Chops was when it was comped to us from our concierge.

We like the WJ for dinner...lots of choices and it's quite different at night....unfortunately it's becoming more popular.

We eat more dinner's in the WJ than any other venue. We'll occasionally eat in MTD (maybe once during a cruise). The only time we have eaten at Chops was when it was comped to us from our concierge.

We like the WJ for dinner...lots of choices and it's quite different at night....unfortunately it's becoming more popular.

Last week on Allure the Windjammer was ridiculously busy for dinner. Back when we started having dinner there it used to be so quiet. It is unfortunate that it is becoming so popular. But you would think with that growing popularity RCI would either increase the length of time that it is open for dinner or at least open more sections so people can spread out a bit more.

On our last cruise on Navigator, our meal in Chops was pretty sub par. No manager / headwaiter to be seen. Wasn’t in the mood to argue, etc as I’m on vacation. I did leave poor marks on the survey and explain the poor service and lack of supervisor/manager during our dining.

We’ll most likely consider this a one off and try on our next cruise using D+ coupon.

And I would also agree about more and more people going to Windjammer. On our Serenade sailing last year, the Windjammer was better than the MDR most nights in my opinion. Anthem’s Windjammer dinner offerings were also very good. Navigator’s Windjammer dinner offerings were fairly poor compared to those two.

Last week on Allure the Windjammer was ridiculously busy for dinner. Back when we started having dinner there it used to be so quiet. It is unfortunate that it is becoming so popular. But you would think with that growing popularity RCI would either increase the length of time that it is open for dinner or at least open more sections so people can spread out a bit more.

I would imagine that the scheduling of more staff for WJ during dinner is very difficult. WJ uses the same staff as the MDR and with all the levels of the MDR open for dinner they can't pull more wait staff off of the MDR. During breakfast or lunch a much smaller part of the MDR is open so that allows them to assign those crew members to the WJ.

I would imagine that the scheduling of more staff for WJ during dinner is very difficult. WJ uses the same staff as the MDR and with all the levels of the MDR open for dinner they can't pull more wait staff off of the MDR. During breakfast or lunch a much smaller part of the MDR is open so that allows them to assign those crew members to the WJ.

Add more staff, this isn’t a problem on other lines.

Thank you OP for the good advice. I will stop going to specialty restaurants immediately, because you said not to.

Just kidding. I love specialty restaurants and never eat in the MDR. I will continue to book them as long as they continue to provide good service and delicious meals and experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the answer is just bother adding sufficient staff to a venue that customers are choosing to use? The place was packed. RCI is showing a pretty decent bottom line. Hire some people.

Meh. I view it a bit differently.

I first started cruising in 1997, and back then everything was included, no specialty restaurants. The MDR food back then was better than it is now but not as good as the specialty restaurant food. However, the cabin prices were more expensive ( factoring in inflation). Also, the ships were not as full featured.

Basically, your price of admission to cruising has gone down, along with the overall service and food quality, but you can pay to upgrade that to a better quality experience. It opens up cruising to people who could not afford it before. I am happy to pay a bit more and get a better experience, but some would rather save their money.

It feels like the cruise lines are steering guests to the specialty restaurants by decreasing the quality and selection of food in the MDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly. We have just 2 weeks holiday this year. We’ve spent £6,000 on a cruise.

I’ve studied all the threads on RC for the last 6 months.

Would I risk having a mediocre cruise due to ‘poor’ or ‘average’ food when we can have ‘amazing’ or ‘excellent’ food for a small percentage increase. Nope.

We’ve ‘upgraded’ to the UDP and yes I feel as guilty as hell for it. We shouldn’t feel like that as the MDR food should be a main selling point for RC.

I couldn't agree with you more. We too have been having dinner in the WJ for several years...It used to be just a few cruiser's, us and the senior staff including the captain...Darn those other people now showing up.

Perhaps if we start some negative feedback those people will go back to the dining rooms.

I have a question for those who frequently done in WJ. Do you choose MTD? It seems the line could better allocate staff if they were not concerned with who doesn't show up to their assigned tables. Just my two cents. We're not fans of the evening meal in WJ.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

It feels like the cruise lines are steering guests to the specialty restaurants by decreasing the quality and selection of food in the MDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The decrease in food quality and selection is the result of the cruise lines competing on the basis of cost.

I have a question for those who frequently done in WJ. Do you choose MTD? It seems the line could better allocate staff if they were not concerned with who doesn't show up to their assigned tables. Just my two cents. We're not fans of the evening meal in WJ.

Yes. We never step foot in the MDR. There is no need to have a seat reserved for us.

We've told our TA to never book us in Traditional Dining.

Yes we choose MTD and never make a reservation....I don't want anyone looking for or expecting me.

If there was an opt out for even MTD we would choose it.

I'm hoping more and more will decide the WJ is not for them in the evening.

Yes. We never step foot in the MDR. There is no need to have a seat reserved for us.

After 20 cruises on Oasis a Class ships we have only had 1 meal total in the MDR. Specialty dining, in suite dining, Costal kitchen and the WJ have done the job for us.