Dress Code - Either Enforce it of Forget It

Djptcp

Oooooooooooooooooooo........... GREAT THREAD

You have all sorts of people..... You will never satisfy everyone!!

Dockers or Khaki..... to get away with not dressing up

Dress pants..... more to a suit above dockers

Elagant -- "Stylish" in appearance... suit pants with dress shirt/tie and jacket

Business Casual -- more dress pants and button down shirt without a tie

Cruise Casual -- Dockers/ Khakis polo shirt.

Who cares what others wear... Does not affect my cruise at all. BEST DAMN ANSWER YET!!!

44 cruises and 31 on Carnival...... Bless you!! We are in 2018 not 1994 ..... Hell cell phones everyone has 1...

So my question to all of you that want the Fancier dress and dinners is why don't you start booking your cruises on a cruise line that still offers that experience rather than continuing to spend your hard earned dollars with Carnival and not be happy and come home and complain about it? A very great question for the Howells....

I should not ignore patrons disobeying the dress code and I should let it ruin my evening? HELL NAW

This is the problem with selling to the general public..... Damn you make it affordable for everyone and the Howells get pissed. I bet for the average person wish you would get on the BS ship!!

we've never judged people...... AMEN

a portion of the population that just dont get it. It has to be spelled out. Even when its spelled out,..... Whoa.... Are you the JUDGE? Why in the hell you cruise with Carnival (1 tenth of the population)?

If someone prefers a more elegant experience, they probably are not a good match for Carnival....... I could not have said it better!!

I got a kick out of this post.... Me I like to dress up and rub elbows with the "UPPITY" people to bring them down on why if you feel this way ..... what brings you to CARNIVAL CRUISE when you have a CHOICE to be a snob on the higher priced cruise lines!! After talking and show I have just as much "CLASS" as they do we all got along and shot the breeze outside the MDR.....

Me and my crazy self, I brought a round of drinks for my table during ELEGANT night!!! You should have seen Thurston Howells face lite up!! The 2nd elegant night my wife & I got there early and had 3 bottles of wine on the table for everyone.....

You get these folks think they are better than the next travel on Carnival when "THAT'S ALL THEY CAN AFFORD"!!! You see them right here on this thread....... KEEP IT REAL

Response in bold italicized red.

This thread is just silly. Almost as silly as the tablecloth threads. Carnival should do away with dress codes. I've been in the restaurant business for 17 years, and just the other day I had a guy all angry over two men wearing a hat into the restaurant.(semi private club restaurant bar and grille feel) As the F&B manager I told him I didn't have a problem with them wearing a hat. I agreed that I was raised differently, and wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't risk two complaints just to push his values on someone else.

This thread is not about "forcing values" on someone but rather it is inviting a discussion on the fact that if Carnival is going to bother having a dress code for certain nights or events, then they should enforce it.

I agree with you that what someone is wearing doesn't really affect me one way or another. Unless certain standards have been set. Being a few years older than you, the hat thing doesn't really bother me either.

Going with your analogy, this is more a case of there being a rule at your restaurant against wearing hats, and yet you let these two men wear them just to avoid "risking two complaints".

That is what is being complained about and addressed here.

In the grand scheme of things that's what this boils down to. People not minding their own business. You have your views and values, and I have mind. When you let my views and values ruin your cruise or dinner, like this man did because they aren't the same of someone else's you are at fault. Mind your own business. Does a pair of shorts or a hat bother you that much. Again stay on your side of the fence and mind your business.

Again, it isn't a case of what someone may prefer, but the rules that Carnival has set in place.

There are only one or two nights that they have designated a special dress code for.

If they are going to bother having it, then it should be enforced. It isn't like they would be left with no other options for dinner.

In an earlier comment I likened it to people sneaking liquor on board.

Let's say you are going through the security checkpoint and saw a crew member pull a bottle of liquor or a rum runner flask out of someone's bags. Instead of confiscating it, they just hand it back to the passenger and let them on with it.

In the grand scheme of things no big deal.

But since it was made clear ahead of time that the policy was NO LIQUOR brought on board, and you had followed that policy, you would probably be pretty ticked since they were being held to a different standard.

If they are not going to enforce that policy, then they should do away with it.

Same thing with this. If they are going to have a policy governing proper attire for formal night, then it should be enforced.

In closing I'll be 40 years old next month. Last cruise I took I didn't pack a suit or dress pants. I gotta laugh when someone says buy a pair of dockers. I wouldn't be caught dead in such rags. My jeans you snicker at cost as much as 10 pairs of dockers at kohl's and feel about 100 times better. I already know when I take my cruise in august I won't pack a suit. Even though I have several hanging in the closet. Why? I'm with my wife and kids, and I don't feel like dressing up. It's jeans and a button down shirt every night.(ok I may take the pink dress pants;) I'm sure you would snicker at that too) When I cruise for my parents 50th in 2019, I will pack a suit, heck I might pack my tux like I did when I went on the first ever journeys cruise carnival offered.

People go have a good time worry about yourselves and nobody else. You want X out of a cruise, and I want Y out of a cruise. I don't let you wearing an out of date Hideous JC penny's stafford suit ruin my cruise, so don't let me wearing a pair diesel jeans, with my robert graham shirt, and a pair of shoes from my collection that is worth more than all your clothes you carried on board ruin your cruise either.

I am honestly trying to figure out why on the one hand you tell us not to care what people are wearing, but on the other hand go to great lengths to "tag brag" about the quality of the rags you cover your body with.

It isn't about what anyone "wants out of a cruise", it is about the standards they expected based on the description of the cruise they paid for.

If I went to your restaurant because it was advertised and styled as a "semi private club restaurant bar and grille", looking forward to a nice meal, and then saw that you had booked two or three birthday parties for 2 year olds and their friends, I'd be justified in feeling that you weren't holding to the standards you presented when I booked my reservation.

Same thing here.

Edited by Chervil

I do feel that men get the “shaft” when it comes to the MDR dress code. My DH has spent 32 years in the construction business. He works 50 hour weeks in heavy uncomfortable steel toe work boots that have actually changed the shape of his toes. He lives for vacations and flip flops. Even in the dead of winter ( which in Florida isn’t saying much) he wears them. Now my point being, I have myself wore basically black flip flops but since they have some fake rhinestones it works. I can wear a casual dress and that’s it, I’m all set.It seems so much easier for women to dress up and still be comfortable on vacation. As other in this thread have stated what others are wearing isn’t my concern. What is my business is having a fun vacation. Carnival is in their own words “The Fun Ships” and considered one of the lowest priced cruislines. If the elegant night is something that you really appreciate maybe try another more “elegant “ line. Maybe you’ll see you prefer that type of atmosphere to the more laid back Carnival cruise. I could and have sailed other lines but prefer the atmosphere of Carnival and remain loyal to them. Hey we are all looking forward to vacation, that’s why we read these message boards. So relax and enjoy your vacation planning, be present and grateful on your cruise. We are very blessed to be able to vacation and I try to be aware of that. My best friend of 25 years has never once been on a family vacation because of finances. Her 11 year old son has never spent a single night in a hotel. I think if they went on a cruise they wouldn’t be upset if a guy was in flip flops at dinner. To each his own.

Response in bold italicized red.

You're truly clueless. First off there's no rule against wearing a hat in my restaurant. It was simply an old man not minding his business.

I go to great lengths to describe my rags I wear, because they are vastly superior in quaility and style to a cheap 200 dollar suit, or a 30 dollar pair of dockers someone might wear on formal night. I am better dressed and look better in my jeans on formal night.

People like you see the dress code as a hard rule. It's not. It's more like a guideline. If Billy comes rumbling down to the dining room in a crusty pair of wranglers wearing a tee shirt with a front pocket holding his pack of smokes the martire'd will stop him and say sir I can't let you in dressed like that. When I come strutting in a lil while later he will smile compliment me on my outfit, and have a hostess show me to my table.

See managing in black and white is easy. You mentioned the liquor smuggling. That's easy. It's don't do it. It's black and white. Easy managing decision. The dress code is a gray issue. Managing in the gray isn't easy but necessary. That's what is happening here. Carnival uses the dresscode as a guideline letting each martire'd decide what is best, and most folks like yourself want a hard fast rule.

Carnival is a budget line. I love it. Not because I get great food(it's rather mediocre) but with two kids I get a cheap way to safely vacation. That's why we do it. I don't let certain things bother me thst could, because of the price I pay. It's still a good value. When that stops, I'll stop sailing, as will you and every other person on this thread, because almost all sail carnival because of price!

I'm okay with just about anything but I'd like to see them just put plain old duct tape on curse words on shirts and hats. "F... this s..." on a shirt in the MDR is for trashy people and I don't want to see ir or explain it to my kid. Anything else (style, color, etc.) I don't care.

Cover up the curse words with ugly tape and people get the hint real quick and stop with the trash clothes.

Carnival is the only line where I see graphic t-shirts with curse words.

I seriously having fun reading this thread. How many times does a person say Carnival is like going to Walmart. Then everyone gets offended. Then you get a thread like this. The discussion between those that think you should actually get dressed a little decent on a night designated for such dressing, and others that think, that a baseball cap, flip flops, and tank top is "elegant" enough because that's the way they were brought up.

This thread only proves that Carnival is very similar to Walmart, and Golden Corral. Don't hate on me, just read all the posts, and than think about what you just read.

Some people say they miss the nice table cloths and elegance of how cruising used to be. These same people in their next breath say to mind your own business and ignore what other people wear in the MDR. Do these people ever think that the elegance is gone and tablecloths removed is BECAUSE some people dress like slobs in the MDR. CCL figures why roll out the red carpet if people are going to dress like they are eating at a truck stop diner ......

I seriously having fun reading this thread. How many times does a person say Carnival is like going to Walmart. Then everyone gets offended. Then you get a thread like this. The discussion between those that think you should actually get dressed a little decent on a night designated for such dressing, and others that think, that a baseball cap, flip flops, and tank top is "elegant" enough because that's the way they were brought up.

This thread only proves that Carnival is very similar to Walmart, and Golden Corral. Don't hate on me, just read all the posts, and than think about what you just read.

The posts from someone who doesn't cruise with Carnival don't mean much.

Some people say they miss the nice table cloths and elegance of how cruising used to be. These same people in their next breath say to mind your own business and ignore what other people wear in the MDR. Do these people ever think that the elegance is gone and tablecloths removed is BECAUSE some people dress like slobs in the MDR. CCL figures why roll out the red carpet if people are going to dress like they are eating at a truck stop diner ......

The tableclothes are gone because they are disgusting stain riddled, and harbor germs. Very few restaurants are using them anymore. They are passé

I can almost guarantee that if Carnival would do away with the dress code altogether, that we'd see a flurry of threads pop up denouncing yet another negative change and to bring back elegant nights!

As for me and my family, as long as there is a dress code to eat in the MDR, we will follow it.

I used to sell art in a fabulous little gallery in the Midwest. What I learned very quickly is that you can't judge a person by what they are wearing. These folks go to Walmart and sail with Carnival by choice, not because they have to. Personally, I have to dress up all week long and when I go on vacation I want to be casual which is why we tend to vacation on islands. We do wear business casual to the MDR on elegant night out of respect but we also bring a sense of humor and a good attitude. I can't fathom letting someone else's choice in clothing affect my joy in cruising.

What I learned very quickly is that you can't judge a person by what they are wearing.

I know a very (very!) successful businessman / property developer who wears polo shirts with casual jeans all the time. And usually a baseball cap. He looks like a regular guy, maybe even a tourist.

So yeah, books, covers, all that.

I know a very (very!) successful businessman / property developer who wears polo shirts with casual jeans all the time. And usually a baseball cap. He looks like a regular guy, maybe even a tourist.

So yeah, books, covers, all that.

I believe the discussion was pointing out extremes, such as tank tops and jeans cut offs. We all have some elitism in us just by the fact of where we choose to live. I chose nice neighborhoods, sometimes with a HOA, so I don't have to see cars parked in front yards or 2 ft tall grass. Nothing wrong with it, IMO.

I am always amused with these threads. We all book Carnival knowing full well it is a family/Party boat. And yet some seem to be expecting a Cunard like dinning experience. Myself and my Boyfriend always dress to the nines as we enjoy dressing up and plan to on our March 3rd Sunshine Cruise as well but we don’t allow someone who isn’t dressed up ruin our experience either.

All of these threads are nothing more than opinions and personal choices we make. The OP was stating how they have seen a decline in what constitutes "elegant" and how some just don't seem to get what that means, despite there being a dress code (that doesn't seem to be universally enforced). There was nothing in the post about being turned off or letting it ruin their vacation, yet, that what this discussion always seems to devolve into.

Anyone ever take one of those tests where there is a question with a choice between "I always follow the rules" and "Rules were made to be broken?" This thread adequately reflects those that would choose one or the other.

And I have yet to read one person's comments (in all of these types of threads) on how someone was dressed actually ruining their cruise, despite this being a common retort.

I wonder how much longer this thread will go on before it dies just like all others that came before it.

This thread is just silly. Almost as silly as the tablecloth threads. Carnival should do away with dress codes. I've been in the restaurant business for 17 years, and just the other day I had a guy all angry over two men wearing a hat into the restaurant.(semi private club restaurant bar and grille feel) As the F&B manager I told him I didn't have a problem with them wearing a hat. I agreed that I was raised differently, and wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't risk two complaints just to push his values on someone else.

In the grand scheme of things that's what this boils down to. People not minding their own business. You have your views and values, and I have mind. When you let my views and values ruin your cruise or dinner, like this man did because they aren't the same of someone else's you are at fault. Mind your own business. Does a pair of shorts or a hat bother you that much. Again stay on your side of the fence and mind your business.

In closing I'll be 40 years old next month. Last cruise I took I didn't pack a suit or dress pants. I gotta laugh when someone says buy a pair of dockers. I wouldn't be caught dead in such rags. My jeans you snicker at cost as much as 10 pairs of dockers at kohl's and feel about 100 times better. I already know when I take my cruise in august I won't pack a suit. Even though I have several hanging in the closet. Why? I'm with my wife and kids, and I don't feel like dressing up. It's jeans and a button down shirt every night.(ok I may take the pink dress pants;) I'm sure you would snicker at that too) When I cruise for my parents 50th in 2019, I will pack a suit, heck I might pack my tux like I did when I went on the first ever journeys cruise carnival offered.

People go have a good time worry about yourselves and nobody else. You want X out of a cruise, and I want Y out of a cruise. I don't let you wearing an out of date Hideous JC penny's stafford suit ruin my cruise, so don't let me wearing a pair diesel jeans, with my robert graham shirt, and a pair of shoes from my collection that is worth more than all your clothes you carried on board ruin your cruise either.

Amen!!!! You said it perfectly. My 19 year old son was called out last summer by a woman a bit older than myself (42) while he was waiting to get into the MDR on elegant night. He was wearing dark denim jeans, a pressed button down shirt and very nice shoes. I came in toward the end of her chastising and waited until she was done, before I ripped into her about thinking a $30 Worthington shift dress is “elegant” vs. his entire outfit that costs more than her dress, her jewelry and her bad hair color.

If someone’s attire has the ability to ruin your dinner or vacation, you need to find a hobby. [emoji1365]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The tableclothes are gone because they are disgusting stain riddled, and harbor germs. Very few restaurants are using them anymore. They are passé
Most if not all other cruise lines have them still and Carnival did for decades ..... You sure about your reasoning because I'm not ......

DH and I have been taking cruises since 1994 and have watched the dress codes lessen as society craved less formal options. I understand that people who have to fly to cruise ports have to pay for luggage or extra luggage and more formal clothes take up a lot of luggage space. However, after 44 cruises and 31 on Carnival, the dress code for elegant nights is pretty straightforward, but passengers still wear baseball caps and jeans with holes in them, women wearing short shorts, let alone t-shirts with offensive sayings on them. They are still allowed in the MDR on elegant nights. Is that what people really wear to restaurants that cater to elegant dining? Why even have a dress code if it is continually ignored? I just don't get it.
Our one Carnival cruise I said Soweto bff to the waiter ahhh out shorts and t- shirts in the MDR. He agreed that it isn't allowed but he wasn't allowed to say anything about it to the passengers he had to tell the manager who was violating the rule. Two nights later the same people came to the MDR I shorts, t- shirts, sandals, and baseball caps. I haven't seen that on Royal Caribbean but I'm sure it happens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

You're truly clueless. First off there's no rule against wearing a hat in my restaurant. It was simply an old man not minding his business.

I go to great lengths to describe my rags I wear, because they are vastly superior in quaility and style to a cheap 200 dollar suit, or a 30 dollar pair of dockers someone might wear on formal night. I am better dressed and look better in my jeans on formal night.

People like you see the dress code as a hard rule. It's not. It's more like a guideline. If Billy comes rumbling down to the dining room in a crusty pair of wranglers wearing a tee shirt with a front pocket holding his pack of smokes the martire'd will stop him and say sir I can't let you in dressed like that. When I come strutting in a lil while later he will smile compliment me on my outfit, and have a hostess show me to my table.

See managing in black and white is easy. You mentioned the liquor smuggling. That's easy. It's don't do it. It's black and white. Easy managing decision. The dress code is a gray issue. Managing in the gray isn't easy but necessary. That's what is happening here. Carnival uses the dresscode as a guideline letting each martire'd decide what is best, and most folks like yourself want a hard fast rule.

Carnival is a budget line. I love it. Not because I get great food(it's rather mediocre) but with two kids I get a cheap way to safely vacation. That's why we do it. I don't let certain things bother me thst could, because of the price I pay. It's still a good value. When that stops, I'll stop sailing, as will you and every other person on this thread, because almost all sail carnival because of price!

This is a fun post....got a whole lotta ego going on with this one....I have hi-lited some of my favorite lines

Who said you are better dressed and look better? You and that ego? Your wife? No slight bias there now, huh :loudcry:....You seem to be very hung up on what things cost, let me hit you with this. You can spend over $300 on a pair of sneakers (Ballers) and only $50 on a pair of dress shoes. Are you claiming the sneakers are more appropriate in a formal setting than the dress shoes because they cost 6 times as much? I will answer for you, no they aren't.

Let me also get this straight, in your world you get to decide what is a "rule" and what is a "guideline"

Rum Runner = NO, smoking on the balcony = NO, but dress code you don't have to follow because YOU decide you don't want to? Go to the Carnival website under dress code....for Elegant evenings they list things that are NOT PERMITTED (even Casual evenings they list things as "not permitted"). It doesn't say "Not Recommended", it says "NOT PERMITTED"....so in this case, to support your opinion, "not permitted" is deemed a guideline in your mind, is that how it works? :confused:

This whole "Carnival is a budget line" reasoning makes me shake my head in wonder as well....You are now lumping "price" into following rules. You aren't the only poster who has referenced these 2 unrelated issues. Whats the reasoning here, that because you paid $2000 for a cruise and not $8000 the rules can be disregarded? So before you go exaggerating with the dress code, lets take it for what it is: On Elegant evenings, is Carnival demanding you wear a tux? NO....They asking you to wear a suit? NO....they asking you wear a tie? NO....2 nights out of 7 they are asking you dress in slacks and a collared shirt and a pair of shoes (guys)....they are also saying "ya know what, if you don't want to dress in even that basic tenant of what we deem as "Elegant", you don't have to, just order room service for dinner or go to the buffet....2 nights out of 7, not a big deal is it. If you just simply have to wear your Diesel jeans, take them up onto the Lido deck for those 2 nights....simple :D

This is a fun post....got a whole lotta ego going on with this one....I have hi-lited some of my favorite lines

Who said you are better dressed and look better? You and that ego? Your wife? No slight bias there now, huh :loudcry:....You seem to be very hung up on what things cost, let me hit you with this. You can spend over $300 on a pair of sneakers (Ballers) and only $50 on a pair of dress shoes. Are you claiming the sneakers are more appropriate in a formal setting than the dress shoes because they cost 6 times as much? I will answer for you, no they aren't.

Let me also get this straight, in your world you get to decide what is a "rule" and what is a "guideline"

Rum Runner = NO, smoking on the balcony = NO, but dress code you don't have to follow because YOU decide you don't want to? Go to the Carnival website under dress code....for Elegant evenings they list things that are NOT PERMITTED (even Casual evenings they list things as "not permitted"). It doesn't say "Not Recommended", it says "NOT PERMITTED"....so in this case, to support your opinion, "not permitted" is deemed a guideline in your mind, is that how it works? :confused:

This whole "Carnival is a budget line" reasoning makes me shake my head in wonder as well....You are now lumping "price" into following rules. You aren't the only poster who has referenced these 2 unrelated issues. Whats the reasoning here, that because you paid $2000 for a cruise and not $8000 the rules can be disregarded? So before you go exaggerating with the dress code, lets take it for what it is: On Elegant evenings, is Carnival demanding you wear a tux? NO....They asking you to wear a suit? NO....they asking you wear a tie? NO....2 nights out of 7 they are asking you dress in slacks and a collared shirt and a pair of shoes (guys)....they are also saying "ya know what, if you don't want to dress in even that basic tenant of what we deem as "Elegant", you don't have to, just order room service for dinner or go to the buffet....2 nights out of 7, not a big deal is it. If you just simply have to wear your Diesel jeans, take them up onto the Lido deck for those 2 nights....simple :D

Exactly.

I find it funny that the OP and most people responding are referring specifically to "Elegant evenings" and yet there are a bunch of people who seem to think they are calling into question how people are dressing in general.

When it isn't an Elegant evening, I really don't care what someone wears in the MDR (as long as it isn't a wet bathing suit) as long as it is in the guidelines.

I also appreciate you pointing out that these are not just guidelines but rules.

This original discussion wasn't about what anyone felt was "appropriate" but whether rules should be enforced if they exist!

Nah I won't because those diesel jeans cost more than your cheap suit and look better too. As for shoes this is always a hard issue for me. Limited space what two pAirs to bring. I'd never be caught dead in a pair of ballers or a pair of Chinese made 50 dollar dress shoes. Normally my salvatore ferragamo's come along. Sometimes I'll throw the mezlans in for giggles.

Amen!!!! You said it perfectly. My 19 year old son was called out last summer by a woman a bit older than myself (42) while he was waiting to get into the MDR on elegant night. He was wearing dark denim jeans, a pressed button down shirt and very nice shoes. I came in toward the end of her chastising and waited until she was done, before I ripped into her about thinking a $30 Worthington shift dress is “elegant” vs. his entire outfit that costs more than her dress, her jewelry and her bad hair color.

If someone’s attire has the ability to ruin your dinner or vacation, you need to find a hobby. [emoji1365]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Too funny. I would've love to have seen this😂😂😂

I know someone already posted the rules, but just wanted to respond to certain points you made since apparently you think I'm "completely clueless".

I never said there was a rule against it. I riffed off of your example and posited a situation where the rule did exist. As in "if this rule existed" then it would be inappropriate to allow them to wear them "just to avoid complaints".

Which is what this thread is about.

It isn't about what anyone thinks is "appropriate" or what "values" they hold, but whether a rule that Carnival has set should be enforced or not.

:')

:')

People like you see the dress code as a hard rule. It's not. It's more like a guideline.

No.

No it isn't a guideline, but I'll post a link for you since you couldn't seem to find it yourself.

If Billy comes rumbling down to the dining room in a crusty pair of wranglers wearing a tee shirt with a front pocket holding his pack of smokes the martire'd will stop him and say sir I can't let you in dressed like that. When I come strutting in a lil while later he will smile compliment me on my outfit, and have a hostess show me to my table.

I'm certain the "maitre'd" is sufficiently impressed by the labels on your clothing that he just has to say something to you about them.

More likely they just don't care enough at this point because they are tired of hearing people like you complain that your jeans are in some way equal to someone who bothered to follow the dress code, even if it is in a "cheap" suit.

As you mentioned about the hat, for them it just isn't worth the complaint someone like you would inevitably file.

The point isn't whether you look better in your jeans than someone else does in a suit, but whether or not the standards Carnival has set are being followed.

Ah, but it is a rule, not just a "gray issue".

Here is the link I promised you:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/kw/elegant%20evening/session/L3RpbWUvMTUxODYyMzQ1OC9zaWQvZlVpeFZDbHJaNzF4T05ueWd1R2xGV0xMNWpLRzZvSGZ3cVRVeEI1ZllBSkZ3REdrVGlwVXhLQ2c4M2czSWslN0VfMmVGaTRvSHRPT2dZMUJoOWJBUmwlN0VsdkwlN0VrT1lpY2FnUDBEcnZ1WUpoZFFOWFY3NG1CNVNYY2FBJTIxJTIx

Note the part under Elegant Evenings where it says "Not Permitted".

Literally the first word is Jeans.

So no matter how good you may think you look in your overpriced denim, according to Carnival's own rules your jeans are Not Permitted in the MDR on Elegant Evenings.

You're right! Carnival is a great value for safe travel. And honestly when you're on vacation that is the time to kick back and relax!

Put on your comfy clothes and chill out!

But no one is calling into question how people dress in general on the cruise.

Or even how they dress in the MDR on most nights.

The thread was started as a discussion about the fact that since Carnival doesn't seem to bother enforcing the rules they set for dress standards on Elegant evenings, should there even be a rule at all?

You seem to be among the "vocal minority" who are trying to make it seem people are complaining about the way people are dressing during the other times.

I believe the discussion was pointing out extremes, such as tank tops and jeans cut offs. We all have some elitism in us just by the fact of where we choose to live. I chose nice neighborhoods, sometimes with a HOA, so I don't have to see cars parked in front yards or 2 ft tall grass. Nothing wrong with it, IMO.

Agreed!

And you are right that the discussion isn't about what someone should wear but whether Carnival should be enforcing their own rules.

It they aren't going to bother doing that, then they should just go ahead and turn it into a "suggestion" or do away with it all together.