Rise in Gratuities

Josy1953

Fred Olsen are now including them in the price.

I do not know where you got that incorrect info from Jean. Fred still charges tips and they are going up to £5 from £4.

Fred have offers, (as do P&O) and Fred sometimes have ones with tips included, or OBC or AI included, but that is an offer, not something they do with all cruises. Even their river cruises had tips to be paid on top, though they have had to give some big offers with the river cruises as they were stupid prices compared to other river cruise companies, given the lack of included elements.

Edited by tring

I think if P and O announced the rise before bookings opened then passengers would be more understanding. Increasing the price after booking just feels like a sharp practice. I am sure most of us do not begrudge the crew an extra 50p.

As tips are optional passengers can always take any amount or the whole amount off. P and O guarantee the crew minimum income so P and O have to make up the shortfall to the minimum level.

It is up to the passenger. Nobody has to pay anything or more because P and O put the rate up or other passengers choose not to pay.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have always paid auto gratuities as I look on it as a Service Charge. I don't really agree with tipping unless the service is exceptional. My opinion is that the staff are all very pleasant and friendly but they do no more than necessary and coupled with the knowledge that more and more people are removing tips then for me I won't be paying them.

Like many others have said

As many others have said, its high time P&O included them in the fare so all pay !!

The question is with the price increase of gratuities being 16.66% does anyone really believe that the staff will get an increase in their wages equal to that. I certainly dont so the question is where does the money go, I am sorry but believe a lot, if not all, will be taken by P&O to boost profits.

We do need to keep in mind that even if the entire increase in the service charge is passed on to the qualifying crew (and I have no reason to doubt that it won't), it is only the proportion of their pay that comprises the service charge that increases by 16%, not the entirety of their overall remuneration.

We do need to keep in mind that even if the entire increase in the service charge is passed on to the qualifying crew (and I have no reason to doubt that it won't), it is only the proportion of their pay that comprises the service charge that increases by 16%, not the entirety of their overall remuneration.

Maybe so but we are talking about several £ millions auto tips per ship per annum so it a substantial amount per person.

I wasn't aware that Princess had introduced a "mandatory" service charge instead of optional gratuities. When did this happen?

P&O do charge a % on the drinks, they just add it into the drinks prices you see. Then credit part of it back to you depending on what tier of the loyalty scheme you are on.

Sorry but from 23rd March the money collected from auto gratuities will increase by 16.66% and is by no means a small amount my belief and has been for some considerable time that all of the extra money collected will go to the staff. I might be wrong but having seeing many questions asked of P&O over the years on their Facebook page they have not consistently answered it with an honest answer. It either changes daily or they give a corporate answer that only muddies the water even more. This tells me that they have something to hide and dont want the real terms of where the money collected in gratuities really goes in the public domain.

Sorry but from 23rd March the money collected from auto gratuities will increase by 16.66% and is by no means a small amount my belief and has been for some considerable time that all of the extra money collected will go to the staff. I might be wrong but having seeing many questions asked of P&O over the years on their Facebook page they have not consistently answered it with an honest answer. It either changes daily or they give a corporate answer that only muddies the water even more. This tells me that they have something to hide and dont want the real terms of where the money collected in gratuities really goes in the public domain.

Perhaps we should all cancel the autotip and individually tip what we thing the service deserves.We decided to do that a year ago and have that's what we will do in the future

Perhaps we should all cancel the autotip and individually tip what we thing the service deserves.We decided to do that a year ago and have that's what we will do in the future

That would be interesting, as I suspect for many people it would be an awful lot less than £7 pppd.

Nobody tips the person who cleans a hotel room, so many will not consider that element deserves a tip.

And if people are using the buffet for breakfast and lunch, that would price the evening meal at £70 per person without drinks. I cannot see many people agreeing with that.

I do not know where you got that incorrect info from Jean. Fred still charges tips and they are going up to £5 from £4.

Fred have offers, (as do P&O) and Fred sometimes have ones with tips included, or OBC or AI included, but that is an offer, not something they do with all cruises. Even their river cruises had tips to be paid on top, though they have had to give some big offers with the river cruises as they were stupid prices compared to other river cruise companies, given the lack of included elements.

Sorry, I guess that's what I meant. Last 2 cruises I have done with them, we got free drinks and tips.

That’s irritating, as it doesn’t seem that long ago that they went up to £6.50 pppn. If it is because so many people aren’t paying then this increase will surely be counter productive, as it will give even more people an excuse to opt out. I haven’t had any emails overnight and we have 5 future cruises with P&O booked, 4 of which are after this date.

At least this increase provides an excuse for yet another tedious thread on tipping, where the same people will make the same spurious excuses as to why they don’t pay them. I didn’t engage with the last one as I get so fed up reading the same circular arguments where some people repeatedly quote complete inaccuracies as though they are fact. But I realise that I have failed already on this one..!!

We have 2 P&O cruises after that date but to date the only correspondence from P&O was about the new dress code which doesn't affect us as we dress smart all the time.

We always pay our gratuitys and give extra in cash too so it isn't a problem for us.

The question is with the price increase of gratuities being 16.66% does anyone really believe that the staff will get an increase in their wages equal to that. I certainly dont so the question is where does the money go, I am sorry but believe a lot, if not all, will be taken by P&O to boost profits.

It certainly makes you wonder.

So from £4 in 2013 to £7 in 2018.

Either a 75% pay rise for cabin staff and waiters or P&O are cutting their base salary and making it up with the increased service charge.

Hmm, I wonder which one it is.

I have to say I am beginning to get a bit synical about it all.

So from £4 in 2013 to £7 in 2018.

Either a 75% pay rise for cabin staff and waiters or P&O are cutting their base salary and making it up with the increased service charge.

Hmm, I wonder which one it is.

And £5 to £7 in a little over a year.