Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

O.k., do not shout hooray, yet, stay calm. It could be over before it begins, but the river levels on the Danube between Regensburg and Hofkirchen (before Vilshofen near Passau) are rising. I mean rising. Pfelling is getting close to that window of sailing the Danube had there between 2rd and 5th October. I hope it works. More rain please!

I hope the sandbanks in those photos will have disappeared in real life soon: https://hungarytoday.hu/record-low-water-level-on-danube-hungary-in-pictures/

notamermaid

If that’s the case, there is no reason my ship can’t pick me up in Deggendorf as scheduled.  

We will see what happens! 

😔 

To start off on a positive note, things have improved along the whole length of the Danube, so lets go into detail. The rain at the weekend did it's job.

There have been very heavy storms in Croatia, this rain fall will have a posiive impact on the Budapest - Bucharest stretch of the Danube.

There has been a very heavy storm in the northern Alps in Italy and Austria, this will impact the southern Danube tributaries. Downstream from Passau, the Danube is carry enough water to alliviate any problems between Passau and Vienna, also have a very positive effect on the Vienna to Budapest stretch.

Upstream from Passau, both Pfelling and Straubing the levels have risen enough with a window opening up for boats to transverse this area. Although the levels have started to fall slightly, we'll have to wait and see what happens, if the Danube carries enough water to keep this window of opportunity open. No rain for the next 5 days.

All those of you did rain dances ths summer, there is another job waiting for you, as the wine havest is in full swing, you can help by trampling the grapes.

image.thumb.png.2fe355caaf7c2f1e59dd210cd4a74b1f.png

• Like 2

Yes, the grapes have been plentiful. In my neighbour's garden as well, the best they have ever tasted I think. They were turned into jam, not wine though. :classic_biggrin: Or eaten by birds and insects.

Over in Kent in the UK they have had such a huge crop of pumpkins they got children and animals to help with the harvest: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-kent-45982980/giant-pumpkins-grown-at-kent-farm

notamermaid

Spoke to my Cruise Director this AM.  He confirms there is much improvement, though he hasn’t spoken with the Captain there is a Chance that my cruise will depart where and when it was scheduled.  

I would have no issues issues beinf the guinI pig  cruise that will test the stretch from Vienna to Budapest. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

1 minute ago, Flamencacha said:

I would have no issues issues beinf the guinI pig  cruise that will test the stretch from Vienna to Budapest. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

A lot of ships have sailed in and out of Budapest from Vienna over the past few days.

I guess while the water levels remain marginal it is all about the confidence that they will get out again if they go in...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Yes, the grapes have been plentiful. In my neighbour's garden as well, the best they have ever tasted I think. They were turned into jam, not wine though. :classic_biggrin: Or eaten by birds and insects.

Over in Kent in the UK they have had such a huge crop of pumpkins they got children and animals to help with the harvest: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-kent-45982980/giant-pumpkins-grown-at-kent-farm

notamermaid

This could be the answer for the low river levels or next Halloween cruise:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-46018859/pumpkin-boat-paddled-down-river-ouse-in-york

• Haha 1

Unfortunately many patrons selecting a river cruise fail to realize that the success or failure of their voyage is dependent upon water levels in Europe as well as elsewhere...  Low water levels may cause the riverboats to scrape bottom whereas high water levels may not allow boats to pass under low bridges.  Some companies such as Viking now have scheduled riverboat itineraries so that they have matching sized vessels sailing above and below problem areas so that their passengers are able to switch boats mid-cruise which allows passengers to still experience most of their journey by water.  Of course that involves packing up ones belongings, boarding a bus transport to the other riverboat, and then unpacking in your corresponding cabin on the other ship...  Not fun, but far better than having your river cruise turn into a bus land tour.  My advise would be to check to see if the company you are booking your cruise with has this option covered before committing to a cruise.  My husband and I learned this lesson the hard way on our Grand European Tour with Viking back in 2009 before they had a matching sized vessel for the Legend and our cruise turned into a bus tour in Regansburg.

58 minutes ago, Little Toot2 said:

My advise would be to check to see if the company you are booking your cruise with has this option covered before committing to a cruise. 

It isn't quite that simple as for example on the Amsterdam-Budapest route it is only sufficient to have matching ships at either end if the blockage is in the middle. Right now with the main issue being the Rhine Gorge which is only about 3 days away from the Amsterdam end, this isn't enough.

Where Viking have been excelling this summer has been by having 3 or 4 ships available along the route and if you make that a requirement then you may as well say 'just book Viking' 🙂

On shorter cruises or routes like Amsterdam-Basel then yes, having two ships working from opposite ends does greatly decrease the risk of being shifted to hotels/coaches.

Also don't dismiss the way that Crystal have been handling things with complete itinerary shifts, while that isn't a route that would appeal on most lines, for Crystal where a good part of the experience is the ship itself, it does seem to be getting broad acceptance from the limited feedback we've seen here.

7 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Also don't dismiss the way that Crystal have been handling things with complete itinerary shifts, while that isn't a route that would appeal on most lines, for Crystal where a good part of the experience is the ship itself, it does seem to be getting broad acceptance from the limited feedback we've seen here.

While I haven't left, I actually like the itinerary of my Crystal Mozart river cruise (RT Vienna). And as of today - the route would probably go as planned. I do look forward to the food on the ship. For the most part, I don't plan on spending a lot of time on the ship. I have all day tours planned most days and hope to do Christmas markets at night. The price was not that much more compared to other lines that included less.

Edited by Coral

Have we had any reports of how Crystal Mozart has been doing this year?  The round trip Vienna itineraries should have been possible, perhaps with some nips and tucks.  But I recall that last year she didn't do well in low water.

20 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Have we had any reports of how Crystal Mozart has been doing this year?  The round trip Vienna itineraries should have been possible, perhaps with some nips and tucks.  But I recall that last year she didn't do well in low water.

Yes and she has a great blog: 

Edited by Coral
I don't know why the link didn't work - Jazz if you want to fix it you can.

Today along the Danube it is sunny with tempeatures due to rise to 17°C, although a storm force 12 will be ripping through the Alps above 1500 meters. It will remain sunny and warm for the next six days, without rain.

The river levels have fallen slightly, but nothing to worry about, the levels between Passau and Regensburg should maintain their navigational levels. Downstream from Passau it should be completely ba to normal in a day or two.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Today along the Danube it is sunny with tempeatures due to rise to 17°C, although a storm force 12 will be ripping through the Alps above 1500 meters. It will remain sunny and warm for the next six days, without rain.

The river levels have fallen slightly, but nothing to worry about, the levels between Passau and Regensburg should maintain their navigational levels. Downstream from Passau it should be completely ba to normal in a day or two.

Thanks GMT, this morning I noticed lots of movement along the Danube on the 

marinetraffic.com 

website! 👏🏻    I realize it can change in a matter of hours but for now things are looking better for all.

I am loving seeing the traffic on the river in Budapest! Much different than it has looked at any time recently! https://www.earthcam.com/world/hungary/budapest/?cam=hotelvictoria

Less than four weeks until our cruise is due to start there, and I'm finally feeling optimistic about boarding in Budapest. I know we'd have a great trip either way but the idea of being able to cruise the entire original itinerary is getting me excited about the trip all over again.

• Like 1

I am now approaching Regensburg from the west on Viking.  Light rain all day long.  Made our tour of Miltenberg uncomfortable, but no one complained.  Can I get a status of cruising from Nuremberg to Budapest?  I'm a little confused by the conversation.  We arrive in Budapest on the 8th.  Many thanks to G.M.T. and Notamermaid for your excellent efforts!!

15 minutes ago, austinetc said:

I am now approaching Regensburg from the west on Viking.  Light rain all day long.  Made our tour of Miltenberg uncomfortable, but no one complained.  Can I get a status of cruising from Nuremberg to Budapest?  I'm a little confused by the conversation.  We arrive in Budapest on the 8th.  Many thanks to G.M.T. and Notamermaid for your excellent efforts!!

If you stay off the beer and würste in Regensburg you should make it to Passau.

The Danube levels are falling between Regensburg and Passau, even if there is no rain, passage is good for some ds to come.

Passau - Vienna - Budapest, the Danube is carrying a lot of water, lot of rain in the Alps and the River Inn dumping it in the Danube in Passau.

Have a eat cruise.

PS. What conversation are you confused about?

Hi everyone,

Excited I have just found this thread...I am a very nervous first time river cruiser and hopefully going on the Christmas river cruise of a lifetime, not a Christmas bus trip from Budapest to Amsterdam.  

This is the most information I have found on river levels so thank you everyone for your contributions.  I am in two minds whether to cancel our trip planned to leave on the 21st of November and rebook for next year (although still waiting to hear at what cost).

G.M.T. you seem to have great insight into the river levels and provide more information than I can get from our TA or the river company, and give me some hope to continue rather than cancel. 

I hope to hear more good news about the water levels in the next few days, so will keep in close contact with this thread. So thank you again everyone.

13 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

If you stay off the beer and würste in Regensburg you should make it to Passau.

The Danube levels are falling between Regensburg and Passau, even if there is no rain, passage is good for some ds to come.

Passau - Vienna - Budapest, the Danube is carrying a lot of water, lot of rain in the Alps and the River Inn dumping it in the Danube in Passau.

Have a eat cruise.

PS. What conversation are you confused about?

Happy to report having a nice lunch on the Avalon Panorama, here in Deggendorf, DE, could not have asked for a more beautiful day.  It appears we may make it all the way to Budapest.  

I feel truly  Blessed. 

All quiet on the Easter Front, for now.

Looking at Marine Traffic (my favourite) it seems the Spanish Armada on it's way to Passau from Linz. Fourteen at last count, should be fun waiting at the locks.

So will have to rouse the local Dads Army Units (the German Army is in Norway, manouvers not occupation this time) to defend Passau, with the war cry "Up and at em lads".

• Haha 1

A perfect occasion to exclaim "Alter!" Passau can just be glad it does not have to feed the thousands. As it is Halloween, perhaps you do not need the army. Or a small one will do. Get the local women to hand out some treats and perhaps you can keep them at bay (or embankment).

That aside I am glad to read the Danube is doing better. Need to get oil to the refineries pretty sharpish. There have been reports of Hamsterkäufe of petrol along the Rhine and in the hills.

notamermaid

P.S. to the English speaking world: Alter! is an exclamation of surprise - I would say close to "my goodness", Hamsterkäufe  is panic buying.

• Like 1