2020 World Cruise Survey released onboard

The-Inside-Cabin

Like Cruise NH, I found many regular world cruisers who were friends. For them, it was a "country club" type atmosphere. That ought to be expected, I think. And, it was rewarding to observe the renewal of friendships. I found other "first timers" as world cruise guests who enjoyed their experience as much as I did. We did tend to loosely "bond" during the cruise. There were some cliques among the "long timers". While it could be annoying to some guests not so "privileged to be among the supposed entitled", it was interesting to watch the ship's staff reaction to those "so entitled".

To be perfectly frank, the encounters that I had with such "entitled ones" along with a MDR table that was the worst I have experienced has prevented me from considering booking another world cruise. Even considering booking a segment of such a cruise has provided thoughts of "should I really do so?". I haven't and its unlikely that I will do so again.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Rka. What you describe is what concerns me, especially since I would be a solo cruiser.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

Roz..... I too am a solo traveler and have booked the 2019 world cruise.... I have the same concerns as you..... I’ll be sure to let you know my experience.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Tom, I'll look forward to your report. The soonest I'll be retiring is the end of 2019, so the earliest I could do a WC would be 2020, but more realistically 2021. As you're probably aware, it's never too early to be saving money and researching.

Roz

I hope the thought there may be cliques on the ship doesn't stop you from doing a trip. It's an amazing experience.

You can always change tables if the company doesn't suit you and do it as many times as you want. Or choose anytime dining and eat with someone new every night. Also, you won't find the frequent travelers on the excursions, they have definately been there and done that. It's another great opportunity to meet new world cruises.

Another option is to look at Cunard's world cruise. We've done two long segments (including this year) on their world cruises. There is no hint of cliques on these ships that we've seen.

Rkacruiser's mention of the crew interacting with the 'entitled' does bring up one thing we noticed in the Lido. First let me go back to a session we went to with the cruise director (not sure that's the title). In the daily program there was a meet and greet for first time HAL cruisers, it wasn't our first time but it had been a while so we went. He filled us in on a few things and then very earnestly told us there were these 'frequent guests' on board and sometimes new people can feel left out and he wanted us to come to him with any concerns.

The first couple of days we were on it was hard to get the staff's attention in the Lido for coffee or water. They were renewing friendships with the frequent travelers. We brought it to the cruise director's attention and it stopped right away. The staff probably didn't even realize they were doing it. All was fine after that. If you see something you don't like say something.

So am I to infer that the World Cruise is geared to those who have done a WC before? As a first timer, would I be out of place or unwelcome?

Roz

No, we’re there are some clicks, we did our first one last year and made lots of friends.

I hope the thought there may be cliques on the ship doesn't stop you from doing a trip. It's an amazing experience.

You can always change tables if the company doesn't suit you and do it as many times as you want. Or choose anytime dining and eat with someone new every night. Also, you won't find the frequent travelers on the excursions, they have definately been there and done that. It's another great opportunity to meet new world cruises.

Another option is to look at Cunard's world cruise. We've done two long segments (including this year) on their world cruises. There is no hint of cliques on these ships that we've seen.

Rkacruiser's mention of the crew interacting with the 'entitled' does bring up one thing we noticed in the Lido. First let me go back to a session we went to with the cruise director (not sure that's the title). In the daily program there was a meet and greet for first time HAL cruisers, it wasn't our first time but it had been a while so we went. He filled us in on a few things and then very earnestly told us there were these 'frequent guests' on board and sometimes new people can feel left out and he wanted us to come to him with any concerns.

The first couple of days we were on it was hard to get the staff's attention in the Lido for coffee or water. They were renewing friendships with the frequent travelers. We brought it to the cruise director's attention and it stopped right away. The staff probably didn't even realize they were doing it. All was fine after that. If you see something you don't like say something.

That is helpful information, NH. I just don't want to be stuck eating by myself for 100 days, or doing things with the same handful of other "misfit" passengers.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

No, No, don't ever think that you would be considered a "misfit" guest. That is not at all what I experienced.

I did not experience any overly attentive service to past guests whom the crew recognized that negatively impacted my service. One memorable crew reaction was my challenging 3 long time (and current) world cruisers by daring to sit in a seat at the Crow's Nest Bar that they clearly thought were theirs prior to Main Seating Dinner cocktail hour. One evening, I got there before they did and sat in one of their usual seats (which I preferred). When the 3 arrived, I was given "the evil eye". By the expression on the faces of the two bartenders, one could tell of their approval of what I had done. (The 3 did manage to find another place to sit and enjoy their pre-dinner drinks.)

Happy to find this thread. Husband and I are frequent HAL cruisers heading for our 5th cruise on the Eurodam in October. We have been to Antarctica and up the Amazon , but are particularly interested in doing a World Cruise Segment from South America, visiting Easter Island and ending in either Australia or Singapore. I looked at the 4 possible World Cruise scenarios that were posted, and 2 or them would suit us I believe, depending on how it is segmented.

My question is this. Does anyone know what month HAL will start selling the segments as opposed to the entire cruise? Based on past history of course. I have been researching other Lines too ( Costa, MSC) , but my preference would be HAL.

Also does anyone have an email address or a Extension number at HAL for someone that can help me with this booking., I find getting information on World Cruises/segments to be an exercise in frustration with all the cruise lines. While I have worked with several very good TA's over the years, getting answers this time out is next to impossible.

Thank you in advance.

My question is this. Does anyone know what month HAL will start selling the segments as opposed to the entire cruise? Based on past history of course.

IIRC, pre-booking for both the full 2019 and segments of that cruise opened in either April or May of 2017. The bookings themselves opened in late June of 2017.

I was able to book a segment of that cruise as soon as it opened.

Segments are booked as guarantee cabins, since full world cruisers get their choice without needing to be moved.

Thank you Ruth. I have booked only with HAL on their website, but of course this is different. Can I contact someone at HALS inside sales team to deposit the 2020 WC? Somewhere along the way I was referred to Avoya travel, and the agent that contacted my told me I could not deposit and wait list for WC segments at all, then a few hours ago I received an email and she said she just found out I can. Needless to say I am not certain how experienced she is if she was not aware of this before today. I know Avoya is connected to AMEX and I use my Platinum AMEX for all my travel bookings. I also heard that Avoya can provide some extra "perks" IF any of you have used Avoya and have an experienced and competent agent I would be happy to speak with them...or am I just better off dealing directly with HAL on price and any Perks? Thank you for your help :)

Im going to call them. I just got a response from the TA I mentioned in the last email. My daughter has been home for a few days so I have spent less time on line, as we dont see her very often,

The response regarding the inquiry on the World cruise segment as follows:

Should I take it that you are no longer moving forward?

Up to the point of gathering info, the responses were quick and sharp, then, at the point of making a financial commitment, it all came to a halt.

Am I reading this wrong .....or am I?

I find this email highly offensive since it has been less than 48 hours since she had last emailed me. The financial obligation she sought was $125 pp to go on a wait list...which makes the email even more offensive..... I already told her I have sailed approx 180 days with HAL so I would not think $125 x 2 is a hard stop for me, but her rudeness most definitely is. UGH People!!

I receive many e-mails from this Agency. In the past, I have deleted them without opening them. I will continue to do so.

There are travel agencies that specialize in working with clients doing long cruises. I'd suggest you try to find one of those and work with them. I have found that an experienced travel agent is worth "her/his weight in gold" for complex itineraries. And, a world cruise fits that definition with all of the questions, concerns, etc. one has prior to departure.

• 2 weeks later...