Oceania vs Crystal

Sny

That's cool. We felt very safe in all of the Mexican ports we stopped at. If I recall we even had an armed guard on a couple of our excursions.

Mexico, Cancun just became the murder capital of most of the world. How safe can you feel? No me. Would not get off the ship. Probably no ports in Mexico very safe. Too bad. used to be great places to go but not anymore. :(:(:(

I think it is impossible to judge a cruise line from a single cruise (except maybe the PG which is beyond amazing). In 15 cruises on Oceania, every cruise has been different -- none bad, but some clearly better than others and some stupendous. A lot depends on fellow cruisers, the itinerary, the chef, the CD, your particular steward or butler, the GM -- there are so many variables.

Our first Seabourn cruise was a disappointment; our second quite wonderful (yes, it was Antarctica -- how could it not be?).

I have 3 Crystal cruises booked and I am about to book 2 more. As much as we have loved Oceania, it has become same old same old -- from the itineraries to the food to the on board experience. Time for something new and different.

Mexico, Cancun just became the murder capital of most of the world. How safe can you feel? No me. Would not get off the ship. Probably no ports in Mexico very safe. Too bad. used to be great places to go but not anymore. :(:(:(

That's your call and that's fine. We had a great time and all of the Mexican folks we met were very nice and the tour guides were quite knowledgable. We never at any time felt that we were in any kind of danger. But if that's why Crystal's per diem rate was so reasonable, then that's cool too. It allowed us to give Crystal a try and we are definitely looking forward to our next set of voyages with them.

We also enjoyed the fact that gratuities and internet service (60 minutes/day/person) were included in the cruise fare.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Rather than addressing each post, I will try to only answer those that have specific questions.

PaulMCO - We like O class for restaurants and R class for “atmosphere” - more intimate relationship with fellow passengers & staff. I too wish Seabourn Square & Bistro concepts could be included on Oceania

Noggins & travelberlin - we might try another Crystal but it would have to be for a unique itinerary that Oceania (or others) do not have.

Classiccruiser777 - the beds were OK - better than, say, Princess but nowhere near Oceania’s.

May B - as Platinums we get gratuities included. If another PPG is offered by TA or cruise line, we get the full value of that PPG as refundable OBC.

Paul,

Thanks for the excellent comments. Our cruise on the Symphony ended in Sydney...I agree with 99% of your comments as we had some of the same experiences. I was particularly interested in your comments about your fellow passengers. We found the other passengers very reserved.

Steve Forbes was on one of our excursions. He was totally ignored....probably for the first time in his life. We were shocked when he walked down the aisle of the bus. We nodded to him but let him enjoy his day being anonymous. BTW he looks much younger in person than on television.

Paul -- how long was your cruise (days). Generally find Crystal to be more reserved even on longer cruises. There is less private tour organization on their roll calls. Our next cruise has 5 couples checked in..

What I like about Crystal is the quality of the lecturers. Our next cruise we have Philippe Cousteau as one.

Paul, thank you for your very long and detailed comparison. After reading it I don't think Crystal would be a good fit for us. We do love Oceania. Have only been on the Marina (4 times). Like you we love the penthouse suites. I think once you try it you can never go back to a standard cabin. :)

We especially like that Oceania can be an a-la-carte experience. We much prefer to book our own private excursions, book our own air, and we are not big drinkers.

Thanks again for your post!

Paul, thank you for your very long and detailed comparison. After reading it I don't think Crystal would be a good fit for us. We do love Oceania. Have only been on the Marina (4 times). Like you we love the penthouse suites. I think once you try it you can never go back to a standard cabin. :)

We especially like that Oceania can be an a-la-carte experience. We much prefer to book our own private excursions, book our own air, and we are not big drinkers.

Carol,

Just wanted to clarify that Crystal's (ocean) fares do not include the so called "free" air and excursions. However, Crystal River cruises and yacht voyages do include complimentary excursions . Regent includes these free/included" items!!! :D Yes, most premium alcoholic beverages are included in the price. It's great that all of these lines have different amenities and ways of marketing their brand. So many good choices for us consumers.

Nancy

Yes, thanks to Paul for his review. We are very similar to Carol from CA and now know Crystal is not for us. We had booked a cruise with them prior (a leg of the WC) and cancelled due to many of the same things you had issues with.

Paul -- how long was your cruise (days). Generally find Crystal to be more reserved even on longer cruises. There is less private tour organization on their roll calls. Our next cruise has 5 couples checked in..

What I like about Crystal is the quality of the lecturers. Our next cruise we have Philippe Cousteau as one.

The cruise was 24 days with 10 sea days.

If I did book another cruise on Crystal - not very likely - it would have to have be one with many sea days. The reason being is that the biggest advantage of Crystal - strong enrichment program - is almost non-existent on port days. Thus a port intensive cruise on Crystal wouldn’t provide the one big advantage of the cruise line.

Granted, this is based on my recent experience, where on port days there were next to none enrichment programs, as I have not done a port intensive cruise on Crystal.

Edited by Paulchili

Try Crystal just so you can make your own comparison.

I have read all of the posts on this thread and this by Henry says it all to me.

You will never know for sure until you sail a cruise line for yourself. How could you?

Even one sailing IMHO is not sufficient to know 100% for sure if a cruise line is for you.

Why? Because each sailing we have ever been on has some items that are unique that impacts our experience.

Taking a cruise is no different then most things in life.

Will you like the book even if 90% of the people say you won't. How about the film critics who say this is the best picture ever. Which car is best for you? Will you enjoy Istanbul? You won't know until you experience each one for yourself no matter what anyone tells you.

My view is simple.

If you find an itinerary you like give it a try because you will never know until you experience it yourself.

And if and/when you try it my recommendation is to keep an open mind throughout the voyage.

I am reminded that many years ago my wife and I tried one of the former Seabourn triplets for the first time. If after one day you said to me you could leave today and get a full refund I think my wife and I would have taken it. Fast forward and that 18 day cruise turned out to be one of the best experiences we had at sea.

Anyway, you can do all the research in the world but the won't tell you whether or not you will like it and since we all have different opinions only one opinion truly matters and that is your very own.

Keith

I have read all of the posts on this thread and this by Henry says it all to me.

You will never know for sure until you sail a cruise line for yourself. How could you?

Even one sailing IMHO is not sufficient to know 100% for sure if a cruise line is for you.

Why? Because each sailing we have ever been on has some items that are unique that impacts our experience.

Taking a cruise is no different then most things in life.

Will you like the book even if 90% of the people say you won't. How about the film critics who say this is the best picture ever. Which car is best for you? Will you enjoy Istanbul? You won't know until you experience each one for yourself no matter what anyone tells you.

My view is simple.

If you find an itinerary you like give it a try because you will never know until you experience it yourself.

And if and/when you try it my recommendation is to keep an open mind throughout the voyage.

I am reminded that many years ago my wife and I tried one of the former Seabourn triplets for the first time. If after one day you said to me you could leave today and get a full refund I think my wife and I would have taken it. Fast forward and that 18 day cruise turned out to be one of the best experiences we had at sea.

Anyway, you can do all the research in the world but the won't tell you whether or not you will like it and since we all have different opinions only one opinion truly matters and that is your very own.

Keith

Very good post Keith.

I agree, yes it is difficult to read opinions and draw a conclusion based on others experiences, which were their personal take.

However, there are reviews from others that cite exact facts that are not subject to personality or situation. Pauls review included both personal and concrete experiences such as:

Fixed menu every night in main dining

Only a Sushi and Italian speciality

extra charges for speciality

small cabins

Trivia only during lunch time

Poor layout and sanitation in Buffet

limited breakfast menu

early and late sittings in dining room rather than 1 open time

Thats enough concrete non personality driven factors for me

Now as to Mexico, someone wrote " we felt safe in the Ports, and there were armed guards too" Hey young kids feel safe playing in the street too.

Cause and effect,. I ask just WHY was there a need to have armed guards in the port and tours ? Maybe to show off new uniforms or celebrate National Armed Guard day?.... Connect the dots.

Facts speak. By the way in the Iraq war which went on for 3 years, with intense conflict 17,000 were killed . Thats 5700 a year approx.

, I ask you to consider that in one year, 2017 , 1/3 of the time of the Iraq war , Over 25,000 people in mexico were killed, tourists, locals police, dopers,.cartel

Thats 430% more violence in peace-time mexico than in a All out war in Iraq !!!! I agree with, I wont get off a ship in any Mexican ports, and I lived within 40 miles of Mexico..

. We would hear daily of killings, robberies, kidnapping, sometimes even by the police themselves, that never made the national PC news of visitors tourist and locals alike ( very diverse)..

Its your life, use it wisely The fasct is in Baghdad, Kandahar, Kabul, Syria, Mogadishu you will have a greater margin of safety than Mexico... !!!

Edited by Hawaiidan

small cabins

limited breakfast menu

Let us get some facts straight --

1) Specialties -- there are three on Serenity (Silk Road, Prego and Tastes) now and will have 4 upon drydock in Nov. There is no Sushi restaurant on Serenity. There is Silk restaurant which includes a Suishi bar. Chef Nobu's restaurant is more than raw fish.

2) They do not charge for your specialty restaurants. They charge after your free allotment (1 per on a short cruise). It is done to control capacity. Not my favorite idea -- but I have never had an issue to get a desired date and time for a single table (not shared) unlike sometimes on O on a short cruise,

3) Serenity will switch to an open seating in November after drydock. Symphony has already done this.

4) There is no fixed menu on any Crystal vessel. The menu changes nightly. There are some fixed items no different than the GDR. I have found Crystal to be more tolerant of special requests.

I agree, yes it is difficult to read opinions and draw a conclusion based on others experiences, which were their personal take.

However, there are reviews from others that cite exact facts that are not subject to personality or situation. Pauls review included both personal and concrete experiences such as:

Not quite sure what you mean here. Every night in the MDR that had a different menu with a wide assortment of quite tasty starters, entrees and desserts to choose from. In fact they were so good, we really didn't need to make any additional $30 pp reservations in their Italian or Asian specialty restaurants. BTW the sushi bar may be in the Silk Road restaurant on the Serenity, but it was a totally separate deal; although there was sushi and sashimi on the menu if you wanted to order it.

small cabins

Their veranda cabins are pretty much the same size as the cabins on Riviera, maybe a little smaller, but comfortable. However, based on square footage, the veranda cabins on O's R class ships are a lot smaller than on the Serenity.

Every night before the evening show, the CD would let everyone know if they had any requests and/or complaints, to see him up near the stage and he would try to accommodate any requests. Some folks early on requested more trivia and he subsequently set one up to run every day in the afternoon at 4 pm on sea days. But you have to remember, Crystal has over 50+ things to do on sea days, unlike on O where trivia is one of the main highlights. BTW that is the first cruise we have ever been on where the CD would take requests and listen to complaints every night on the cruise after the show, both early and late.

limited breakfast menu

Can't argue with that one when it comes to the breakfast buffet. However, since we both sanitize our hands both before and after we leave a dining area as well as wash our hands when we get back to the cabin, that wasn't such a big deal for us. But then again most of the time we ate breakfast in the MDR where their eggs benedict as well as other selections, to include a variety of fruit, were great!

As I mentioned earlier, Crystal now has open seating in their MDR. But in case you forgot here it is again as quoted from their website the other day:

Open seating at Waterside allows guests to dine at their leisure for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Guests may enjoy dinner at any time they choose from 6 pm until closing at 9:30 pm (opening times subject to change). Reservations are not accepted.

Now as to Mexico, someone wrote " we felt safe in the Ports, and there were armed guards too" Hey young kids feel safe playing in the street too.

Cause and effect,. I ask just WHY was there a need to have armed guards in the port and tours ? Maybe to show off new uniforms or celebrate National Armed Guard day?.... Connect the dots.

Facts speak. By the way in the Iraq war which went on for 3 years, with intense conflict 17,000 were killed . Thats 5700 a year approx.

, I ask you to consider that in one year, 2017 , 1/3 of the time of the Iraq war , Over 25,000 people in mexico were killed, tourists, locals police, dopers,.cartel

Thats 430% more violence in peace-time mexico than in a All out war in Iraq !!!! I agree with, I wont get off a ship in any Mexican ports, and I lived within 40 miles of Mexico..

. We would hear daily of killings, robberies, kidnapping, sometimes even by the police themselves, that never made the national PC news of visitors tourist and locals alike ( very diverse)..

Its your life, use it wisely The fasct is in Baghdad, Kandahar, Kabul, Syria, Mogadishu you will have a greater margin of safety than Mexico... !!!

Again, that's your call. We had a great time and even though there was an armed guard on a couple of our excursions, we never felt in danger at any time. In addition I find it hard to believe Crystal or any other cruise line would take their guests to unsafe locations. But that's just us. You do what you feel is best.

See my comments above.

Let us get some facts straight --

1) Specialties -- there are three on Serenity (Silk Road, Prego and Tastes) now and will have 4 upon drydock in Nov. There is no Sushi restaurant on Serenity. There is Silk restaurant which includes a Suishi bar. Chef Nobu's restaurant is more than raw fish.

2) They do not charge for your specialty restaurants. They charge after your free allotment (1 per on a short cruise). It is done to control capacity. Not my favorite idea -- but I have never had an issue to get a desired date and time for a single table (not shared) unlike sometimes on O on a short cruise,

3) Serenity will switch to an open seating in November after drydock. Symphony has already done this.

4) There is no fixed menu on any Crystal vessel. The menu changes nightly. There are some fixed items no different than the GDR. I have found Crystal to be more tolerant of special requests.

I only interpenetrated to what you wrote and did not look an more.

You did say however that the Main dining room menu did not change and I consider charging for any specialty and extra charge , no matter what time

Too you wrote that the Buffet is closed for dinner and that means on black tie nights you either sit in your room or dress up..

. No thanks Italian and Japanese cuisine are not my personal likes. I dont like Sushi and never eat Italian except rarely Prefer Jacques, Red Ginger, and French/ french fusion on O. That for me is my choice. and preference Nobu maybe a fine chef but his cuisine ain't on my favorite ( I worked in Japan, Korea, a lot and did not enjoy the foods. But thats me

Good to know about the changes you wrote as they were , to me, non emotional fact driven Thanks for the up date, but there is enough that does not fit with me that Crystal will not work , even in the future.

As to Ken Yes the cruise lines do go to a lot of nasty places in Africa, Egypt ,Philippines Brazil, and until recently Turkey where the US recently closed an embassy. We all have choices and after enduring a war or two where people were actively seeking to kill me, I have aquired a keen sense of survival and risk taking... I see the forest for the trees as it were. There are some things where think for me are too risky without a reinforced rifle company and air cover.

small cabins

limited breakfast menu

What is interesting is that you are quoting things and they really are not fact.

Fixed menu every night in main dining - MENU IS NOT THE SAME. CHANGES EVERY NIGHT IN THE MAIN DIINING ROOM.

Only a Sushi and Italian speciality - INCORRECT. THE NOBU RESTAURANTS SERVES SUSHI/SASHIMI/SALADS, ENTREES/APPETIZERS/DESSERTS AND ALSO HAS A SUSHI BAR

extra charges for speciality - TWO SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS ALLOW ONE VISIT TO EACH WITHOUT A CHARGE ON CRUISES LESS THEN FOURTEEN DAYS AND TWO VISITS TO EACH ON CRUISE 14 DAYS OR GREATER. ON BOTH SHIPS THERE IS A THIRD RESTAURANT THAT I CONSIDER SPECIAL AND NO CHARGE AND ON SYMPHONY AND END OF YEAR ON SERENITY ANOTHER RESTAURANT WITHOUT A FEE AT NIGHT.

small cabins - THERE ARE VARIOUS SIZES CABINS AND SUITES. SMALL IS NOT A FACT. A FACT IS WHAT THE SIZE IS

Trivia only during lunch time - YES

Poor layout and sanitation in Buffet - IS THAT REALLY A FACT? PERSONALLY I THINK THE LAYOUT IS QUITE GOOD.

limited breakfast menu - IS THAT A FACT? IN THE DINING ROOM THERE ARE MANY ITEMS TO CHOOSE FROM PLUS YOU CAN SPECIAL ORDER PRETTY MUCH WHATEVER YOU WANT. THERE IS A BUFFET (LIDO CAFE) WITH A WIDE RANGE OF ITEMS, THERE IS A LATE RISERS BREAKFAST AND THERE IS A PLACE SPECIALIZING IN COFFEE THAT ALSO SERVES SEVERAL BREAKFAST ITEMS.

early and late sittings in dining room rather than 1 open time - OPEN DINING WAS ROLLED OUT ON SYMPHONY LAST YEAR AND ROLLS OUT TO SERENITY LATER THIS YEAR.

So you said that is enough for you making a decision with incorrect information.

Why? Because one person said that on Cruise Critic and you have accepted it as fact.

Please see my earlier post.

This is exactly what I am talking about. ;p

Keith

As to Ken Yes the cruise lines do go to a lot of nasty places in Africa, Egypt ,Philippines Brazil, and until recently Turkey where the US recently closed an embassy. We all have choices and after enduring a war or two where people were actively seeking to kill me, I have aquired a keen sense of survival and risk taking... I see the forest for the trees as it were. There are some things where think for me are too risky without a reinforced rifle company and air cover.

Better avoid schools, movie theaters, nightclubs, and outdoor concerts in the US then.

• Like 1