ATV/Dune buggy tours?

Ellusionz

We would like to do a dune buggy or atv type tour on one of our stops to either Bonaire or Grand Turk. Is there one island that might be better than the other for this? Is there one operator group at this island you might recommend? We really want to see flamingos at both locations (plus some of those other wildish animals we might see).

Price and what we get to visit and do (swimming stop might be fun) is important. Thanks for any recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm living on Bonaire and I'm not familiar with the ATV tours. I do know that the best place to see flamingos right now is on the South part of the island near the salt pans. You can't get up-close though, since the area off the road is protected. Lake Gotomeer is the most common place recommended to see flamingos, but I've see flocks of hundreds in the South recently.

In the main part of town is a boulevard that cruise ship guests often walk along. Just north of the center of town is an easy entry to the water we call the "sea pool" where the swim teams practice in the late afternoons. I usually swim laps there and sometimes cruise ship guests and staff take a dip there. I usually offer my swim goggles because it's a great place to see parrot fish, tangs and coral. It's impressive, but because of all the swimmers it's not the best snorkeling. Just a few blocks north is great snorkeling you just have to look for a good spot to enter the water, and there are public steps and docks along the boulevard.

If you have wheels and want to snorkel, I recommend driving up to thousand steps, a dive site about 20 minutes north of the main town. The last time I was there, I saw 7 or 8 juvenile sea turtles.