No more cruising for a while.

We've been cruising for 20 years and all but 3 times have been with RCCL. To say the least, we've been very loyal and introduced many of our friends to RCCL. We sailed on January 27th on Harmony of the Seas and due to health issues, this was our first cruise in 3 years. The ship was beautiful and clean, the crew was friendly and helpful but the whole dining experience was very disappointing. Over the years we've noticed changes, of course, but what a difference 3 years has made! Back in the "good old days" the dining was elegant, food was delicious and presentation impeccable. Gone are the days when we would have a drink on our table when we arrived and the bar waiter would pass our table frequently. At the end of the meal, we would have the opportunity to have the after-dinner-drink of the day and who could pass these up in the pretty little glasses? The food served was so delicious there was no need to pay extra for eating in a special place on board. In fact, as I recall, there were no separate restaurants. On formal nights there was either a pianist or string quartet, and other nights as well. Our last night on the Harmony, I swear my selection was a frozen dinner! And don't even get me started of the lack of dress code. Are we the only ones objecting to this and should we just move on to another cruise line for older and stuffier cruisers?

I also wish dinner remained more formal, but I know the changes that are happening in that regard are due to "popular" demand.

Not all staff is top notch, but many still remain who will have your drink ready and anticipate your needs in the main dining room. I think they eliminated the person coming around w/ pre-made drinks and just started listing the options on the dessert menu to spare having someone busy with that task. I never saw that person swamped with business, so I'd suspect they were repurposed for something more lucrative.

Judy

We've been cruising for 20 years and all but 3 times have been with RCCL. To say the least, we've been very loyal and introduced many of our friends to RCCL. We sailed on January 27th on Harmony of the Seas and due to health issues, this was our first cruise in 3 years. The ship was beautiful and clean, the crew was friendly and helpful but the whole dining experience was very disappointing. Over the years we've noticed changes, of course, but what a difference 3 years has made! Back in the "good old days" the dining was elegant, food was delicious and presentation impeccable. Gone are the days when we would have a drink on our table when we arrived and the bar waiter would pass our table frequently. At the end of the meal, we would have the opportunity to have the after-dinner-drink of the day and who could pass these up in the pretty little glasses? The food served was so delicious there was no need to pay extra for eating in a special place on board. In fact, as I recall, there were no separate restaurants. On formal nights there was either a pianist or string quartet, and other nights as well. Our last night on the Harmony, I swear my selection was a frozen dinner! And don't even get me started of the lack of dress code. Are we the only ones objecting to this and should we just move on to another cruise line for older and stuffier cruisers?

Maybe try Celebrity

And don't even get me started of the lack of dress code. Are we the only ones objecting to this and should we just move on to another cruise line for older and stuffier cruisers?

I assume along with taking off 3 years from cruising you also took three years off from Cruise Critic. Plenty of threads with similar views. Welcome to mainstream cruise line cruising a la 2018.

Right there with you. We are Diamond Plus, have one more Royal booked, and that will most likely be it for Royal.

20 years ago, cruising was a MUCH different experience than today...I agree with that wholeheartedly. Everyone felt "special", especially at dinner! Taking a break from cruising is probably a good idea, if today's "norms" aren't making you happy! You can go to some fabulous land resorts and recreate the "feel" of day's past!

While I definitely agree with some of your observations I think some of the experience really depends on the crew you have taking care of you. We have had some AMAZING waiters on some of the cruises and also some mediocre ones. More often then not we have had good waiters who, come the second night, would have our glasses of wine waiting for us (me red/wife white) and knew what our choice of bread was. Some are just more attentive than others.

Dress code, or lack there of, is something that has bothered me but it is a losing battle. Look around you... it’s the way of the world... people are either too lazy or flat out don’t care how they present themselves. I wish they would enforce it but we all know how that would turn out.

We have always been loyal to royal but my wife and I have discussed trying our different lines and see how they compare... we can always come back and cruise Royal... but like someone else said... in the price point I don’t expect to see huge differences between lines.

No point in being loyal to a company, they're not going to be loyal to you. I don't cruise much, but I do travel for a living, and while I am still somewhat loyal to a specific airline/alliance and hotel chain, it's much less than it was even five years ago. I need to do what's best and most convenient for me, because in the end of the day that airline and that hotel chain (and that cruise company) don't give a damn about me.

I feel the same way about cruising the Mass Market cruise lines. I call them WalMart on Water. I am a Diamond Plus Member and will probably never cruise on RCCL again.....subpar food, service and experience. Not worth my vacation time.

Get ready to pay up. https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans

Your expectations for service and quality are going to require you to pay more, simple as that. Viking Star was an impeccable experience, though still a moderately casual affair there were no shorts or jeans etc in the dining rooms. But the food, and the service were first rate. I see the appeal in both. I loved the Viking Star, but it was a bit stuffy at times and the ship became a ghost ship after 10:30 or so at night because everybody was older and off to bed. But man the food, and the service. I've not been on Royal Caribbean yet, but have been on Carnival, and Disney as well and the service on Disney was first rate as well, though the food was not at the level of Viking. It sounds like you've already made up your mind on Royal, and they probably have an impossibly uphill climb to gain your trust back. Maybe give someone else a try that's a bit more costly to see if you feel like it was worth it. Frankly I've enjoyed all my cruising experiences aboard my three cruises with all three different lines. They all offered me so much. The value Carnival provides is astonishing to me at times. I'm hoping I feel the same about RCCL though so far they don't seem to be nearly as inclusive as Carnival. I'm hoping the more elegant ships make it worth it. Disney was an adventure. The shows were second to none, the entertainment was ... well.. it was Disney so there you go. The ship was impeccable and the service was first rate. The food was good, but they clearly are trying to appeal to a very wide palate and so you have to make some concessions on that. Viking was impeccable across the board, if not occasionally a bit stuffy and a little wanting for something to do at night if you weren't ready to retire for the evening.

Food in mdr on all major lines is not what it was 20 years ago or in my case 40 years ago, we eat most of our meals in specialty restaurants, this year we are doing ships that have suite dinning rooms for first time , 10 days to our celebrity cruise and9 months till oasis of the seas .

No point in being loyal to a company, they're not going to be loyal to you. I don't cruise much, but I do travel for a living, and while I am still somewhat loyal to a specific airline/alliance and hotel chain, it's much less than it was even five years ago. I need to do what's best and most convenient for me, because in the end of the day that airline and that hotel chain (and that cruise company) don't give a damn about me.

THIS.

I laugh every time I read "I'm loyal to Royal." Instead they might as well say "I'm a sucker."

If you think any company is loyal to anything other than their bottom line, you're delusional.