Norwegian or Carnival newer ships the best choice for 55+

Lakesuperior

What cruise did you take on celebrity? I didn't find this the case in Alaska or Europe. Good amount of families.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Carribean Reflection 10 day 3days in Mardi Gras New Orleans and Cozumel, Grand Cayman.

The ship, food and service was great but it wasn't a fun style ship with a conservative daily itinerary.

With a high percentage of elders and guests with disabilities it just didn't meet my expectation.

Don't get me wrong, everyone has the same right to cruising which is fun for all ages. I just need to be more selective in choicing my next cruise. T

Thanks for your feedback. I was invited for this cruise by another couple and you are right fun can be at any age. I think Celebrity doesn't meet my expectation of fun and will look at Norwegian and Carnival newer ships. From what I've seen they have more to offer in the way of my definition of fun. Thanks for your input.

The shorter the cruise, the younger the passenger mix. Young people can't afford the fare of a longer cruise, nor do they earn that much vacation time. I have done three longer cruises on Carnival (13-16 days) and when I looked around at the passengers, I thought anyone without gray or white hair - or no hair-was coloring it. EM

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to agree with an earlier poster that said your better bet with either NCL or Carnival is with a longer cruise. The shorter cruises, i.e. 3 or 4 day to the Bahamas, tend to be booze cruises. I haven't been on any of the newer NCL ships, but read reviews carefully to see if they will meet your expectations. I really liked the Carnival Vista (I'm in my mid 50's). The Vista and the Horizon have an area called the Havana Cabana area that the rooms are restricted to those 12 and above. The Havana area during the day is for Havana guests only, so if you need some quieter adult time this area is perfect, but you can also go to the main pool areas for fun and games. Lots of activities, and lost of food choices.

Just off Norwegian Dawn in Caribbean ( 7 nights). Excellent cruise with top food and service and cleanliness... and mostly over 45s. A handful of kids mostly with their grandparents. Carnival is the young party crowd cruise line.

I've been on 3 Celebrity cruises (one 7 day and two 14 day) and the age ranges were about 40-60. Hardly elderly! They had some adult activities, but not as many as Princess does. If you're looking for flow riders, climbing walls and skating rinks, then go on Royal Caribbean.

We are going to try Viking Ocean. Celebrity has become too class distinctive for us with drink packages that encourage a lot of boozy type of behavior. That is fun for some, not us.

Viking is not geared to those with mobility issues. No scooters wheel chairs etc. No kids.

Walking tours every day. A large walking/jogging track, two pools.

But also not much hoopla, no silly/stupid stuff. So that might eliminate some people.

I've sailed on Celebrity and found the cruisers are substantially older than I expected.

Does Norwegian and Carnival or Royal Carribean newer ships cater to a mature but not so old clients like I experienced on Celebrity?

Take a look at Princess. We sailed them last year and had a ball. I have sailed on NCL, RCI, and now Princess. If you are an active senior; then choose RCI or NCL. their ships have tons to do for active people. If you just want to relax and play trivia in the bar and watch some good shows in the theater; take a look at Princess

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my take:

Princess for active people over 40 who are looking for relaxing sea days and great ports.

NCL for 20-something singles and single GLBT cruisers.

Carnival for families, low-income cruisers, and short getaways. It's "Princess-lite." Noisy and festive.

RCCL for non-stop activity. A lot to do on the ship, and it is rarely quiet.

The last two Celebrity cruises we were on catered to large groups and the rest of us were SOL.

• Thanks 1

Here's my take:

Princess for active people over 40 who are looking for relaxing sea days and great ports.

Carnival for families, low-income cruisers, and short getaways. It's "Princess-lite." Noisy and festive.

The last two Celebrity cruises we were on catered to large groups and the rest of us were SOL.

Your take is interesting. Thank you for posting it.

Here's my take:

What is GLBT cruisers? or did you mean LGBT?

Here's my take:

I am just curious how you came to surmise Carnival is for low income people. Maybe people like cruising with fun people as opposed to stuffy people who think they are better than anyone else. I made a six figure salary and retired Jan 1. I love cruising Carnival. So does that make me low income? I book rooms that I pay a pretty penny for on Carnival. I also have cruises booked on Princess and Holland America.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Reread what I wrote -- families, low-income cruisers, short getaways, noisy & festive.

If you fall into any of those categories, Carnival might be a good fit. It doesn't mean ALL of those categories. Carnival tends to be less expensive than some of the other lines and is therefore often more affordable for families or folks who want to cruise, but can't spend a lot of money.

I hope that clarifies it for you.