Escape! Feb 10-17 Trip Report & Review

MaryBethV

Grand Cayman from the balcony was a bit more sunny and brilliant in the afternoon now that the clouds had mostly cleared. What a view!

40444138582_f013b90d70.jpg

40486798561_e70833b2be.jpg

We walked around the ship a little, peeked in at Le Bistro (maybe next time)...

25625196897_8d946cb68d.jpg

25625195777_a557f2b040.jpg

25625194987_862298df09.jpg

...and ended up at O’Sheehans for mid-afternoon snacks. I needed a little caffeine boost, so I tried their Irish coffee - not sure how much coffee was in that, haha, but it did the trick. We also ordered the Jamaican jerk chicken wings and spinach dip & chips. The wings were served piping hot and were really, really good! And the spinach dip was better than it was on day 1 - a little thicker I think.

What does one do after a day at the beach and extra food when you get back… why, nap of course. Nothing says you are on vacation like falling asleep for an hour or two in the middle of the day! Or waking up just as the sun is starting to go down...

39600294015_00e32c4083.jpg

Taste for Dinner| I remember reading alysonofagun’s amazing live review of her transatlantic sailing on the Epic (go look that one up if you haven’t read it). I do not have a flair for describing things with cute British terms, but our love of naps might make us besties if we ever meet. Anyways, she referred to the ship shaking when it came into port as ‘juggering’. This night on the Escape, as we walked into dinner at Taste - the ship was definitely JUGGERING. There is really no better way to describe it. I love the light fixtures in Taste and Savor and tonight they were visibly shaking like crazy! (Photo taken when the ship was *not* juggering!)

40453993392_b7ede5ec56.jpg

Our server was Hilaria from the Philippines. I nicknamed her the singing waitress. She loved to sing little, funny one-liners from movies and made up a little song with our names. She was adorable & I wanted to pack her up and take her home with me. Apps ordered were Asian potstickers (two thumbs up), and corn chowder (which was made with fresh sweet corn - so good - made me miss summer). For dinner I ordered the Mediterranean sirloin beef brochettes which were pretty good. Depending on the other menu choices, I might order it again.

39600292285_d232a5bda8.jpg

DH had the grilled New York strip steak which is one of the menu items that is there all week. I thought he was the eternal optimist after the previous evening’s steak at Cagney’s! Sufice it to say that this one was ordered medium and came well done. While better than the night before, he still swore off red meat for the rest of the cruise (a promise which he would promptly break and be so glad he did - the very next day).

25625194047_c1e43957ff.jpg

No dessert. You’ve read what we ate all day and know why!

*to remember* The dining staff works SO hard to serve an incredible amount of people 3 (or 4-ha) times a day. We were seated by what we dubbed ‘the server super-highway’... just a table next to the walkway where there is a continual rush-hour stream of staff bringing loaded trays of food, taking away empty trays of the plate covers, and fetching this or that. During the midst of dinner, the double doors they came from seemed to never close. Some of them looked so young and were walking pretty much sideways under their heavy loads. I can only imagine how they hurt at the end of the day. And they were moving fast… which explains why we maybe only received a plate or two our entire cruise that was not served piping hot. So, remember to thank them when you have the chance, and if you don’t see them smiling - GIVE them a smile… they might need it! I would.

After dinner we rode the elevator up and walked back to our end of the ship via the pool deck - with a stop at the Wave Pool Bar which I was surprised to see open. Two mango meltdowns to go please!

39600290155_3ff81dc955.jpg

25625192707_9477748410.jpg

Goodnight from Dino!

25625191467_bde626f49b.jpg

Thank you for all your reporting. We are going to the Caribbean on Dec 20th and just begun our research. I am glad you shared finding Hemingway’s. We stayed on Grand Cayman for 10 glorious days in 2004, at the Westin, and wanted to find a beach that wasn’t crowded like RP. Looks like we will be going to Hemingway’s. :D

Wednesday | February 14th | Valentine’s Day at Sea

So we finally slept in - about time! After a bit we headed down for a late breakfast in O’Sheehans. Dorna was our server and we liked her because she made our croissants-only-basket seem bottomless. DH had another omlet, and I had the breakfast platter. Both were yummy, though I can’t wrap my northern-mind around baked beans for breakfast - didn’t eat those and still managed to practically roll out of there.

We did our walk/sit/walk/sit/walk trip around the waterfront and chatted with a few nice people. Hint: if you wear a shirt or a hat advertising where you are from random people will start talking to you. Since we are generally introverts, that was helpful!

I love the view from the back of the boat. An aft balcony might have to be in our future at some point.

25628177617_58e3e7550c.jpg

On our way back to our room we wandered through the gift shops. Mitsygirly reviews are ones I can’t get enough of (& are so incredibly helpful!!!) and because of them I had my heart set on purchasing an Escape Ship Ornament. Upon searching high and low, we didn’t see one - so I asked the cashier who told me he didn’t think they had any, but to come back that evening after dinner because the guy we should ask would be there then. Fingers crossed!

Next stop was the excursions desk to rent a clamshell on Great Stirrup Cay. Then we stopped over at Guest Services and inquired about any easier way to board the tenders the next day - other than many stairs, and hallway after hallway. We were told come to the forward elevators on deck 8 and there would be someone there to take DH and I directly down to deck 4. Easy peasy. I told you I should have asked before Grand Cayman! Even nicer… would be a little proactive communication from Norwegian when you check-in and board via the special assistance desk. I think I’ll write or call NCL and suggest that. Couldn’t hurt right?

Back to O’Sheehans for lunch… it was busy and their service was just off. We ordered BBQ wings that were served mildly warm and we weren’t given any plates or utensils or napkins or wipes. Upon finally snagging the attention of a random server with obviously messy fingers - we were promptly brought napkins/utensils.

39603308875_69b8e7d2da.jpg

For entree’s: I ordered the Black & Blue burger (good) with more of those piping hot fries I love. (it turns out that I’ll mostly be paying later for my croissant and french fry habit this cruise - oiy!) DH ordered the chicken fajitas (OK).

Next up was a little time forgetting there was even such a thing as the real world in the spa. The artwork in the hallway going towards the spa/workout room is really pretty.

26627956938_8648cd2629.jpg

In the spa the artwork is nice, but very neutral as well. Nothing can compete with the view anyways!

39603307275_8fdc355e44.jpg

25628176077_b2af838edf.jpg

Time to get dressed up for a nice Valentine’s Day dinner! ...

These guys waiting to tie the ship up were so funny! They were yelling at people on the ship (not in English) and then laughing hysterically at themselves. Would have loved a translator!

38656072370_2a886da6c6.jpg

I thought Falmouth was a tender port for Escape, no?

Did you have an opportunity to visit the Supper Club on a free night and if so, what type of entertaiment did you see? How often is the free Supper Club offered during the sailing?

MARAPRINCE

We didn't visit the Supper Club at all. :( Looking at our dailies - here was the supper club schedule:

Day 1 (embarkation day) - 6pm The Company Men

Day 2 - 6pm The Company Men

Day 3 - 6pm The Company Men

Day 4 - 6pm Robert McFletcher-Jones Presents L.O.V.E.

Day 5 - 6pm Cabaret: Brenda Braxton

Day 6 - 6pm The Company Men

Day 7 - 6pm The Company Men

Backtracking for two things...

Dan Dan, the cruise director -

He was so fun! He didn’t seem obnoxious or over-the-top, just effortlessly funny! On the 14th (sea day) while we were in line for the shore excursion desk he was in the atrium doing a pastry demonstration with the pastry chef. They were making Black Forest Cake I think - the pastry chef was making his perfectly, a guest was trying to make one along with the chef, and then Dan Dan was making his own wildly hilarious version. He had everyone in the other areas off the atrium craning their necks trying to watch his antics and laughing along.

38692203220_01541c7e73.jpg

39607115775_f3b0aa11b1.jpg

Where we were in Grand Cayman-

Apparently my DH turned around when we were in the water and took a photo of our location. Novel idea! :')

39792739824_b8e6fce903.jpg

39607319025_c28b0116a9.jpg

What a great review and I love the pictures. I was on the Escape in 2016 and was just on it January 13th through the 20th.

I also had a spa balcony. I see your bed configuration was with the bed by the door and the couch by the closet. This is what I had asked for since it was easier to access the closet with my disability. I was disappointed when we arrived to see the set up was not with the bed by the window. One traveler on our cabin crawl showed us how to move the bed forward a bit so that you could get into the closet easier. I was thankful for that.

We had a great cruise just did not get to snorkel on Grand Caymen due to the sea conditions and we did not stop at all at Great Stirrup Cay due to the wave conditions. That was disappointing but did we still had a great time. And I agree with you about the spa pass. Ahhh it was so nice to be in there. One of the highlights of the trip!!

Looking forward to reading the rest of your review!

Thanks for posting it!

Mary

We stopped in at the District Brewhouse for some pre-dinner drinks. I do not know the name of ‘Mr. Piano Man’, but he was a very talented pianist and singer. I laughed when someone asked him if he takes requests and he answered “yes, they are just all my requests”. Love it. We enjoyed his music a couple of times throughout the week.

25633207067_67f9b96a18.jpg

La Cucina for Valentine's dinner | Now understand that I looove Italian food and cook it often. Making pasta from scratch and a long-simmered red sauce with tomatoes from the garden is one of my favorite things to cook. I almost didn’t reserve La Cucina because I didn’t want to be disappointed with ‘chain-restaurant-style-Italian’ - but ended up doing so thinking it will at least be a nice, relaxing meal. So glad I did!

We asked for a table on the waterfront and they had one available. BEST THING EVER. Quiet, slight breeze, and a unique experience. Listen to me -- unless it is crazy windy, eat on the waterfront whenever you can -- you’ll thank me later. Promise.

38693753980_f6ab521841.jpg

40504265061_e0c6dcba79.jpg

Christina was our server and she was the best! She ended up being one of our “hero’s” for the trip. For apps - DH had the Fritto di Calamari con Salsa Marinara (lightly breaded baby calamari, marinara sauce). It was very tender (I stole a bite) and he really liked it. I had the Linguine Cioppino (linguine, littleneck clams, shrimp, black mussels, calamari, monkfish, light pino grigio & cherry tomato sauce) and it was absolutely delicious! We also both ordered the Insalata Caesar Classica (classic caesar salad, with anchovies - which makes the salad. Mmm!).

39793687644_dd823d1831.jpg

You can tell we’ve been married ½ of forever because we ordered the same entree again -- Filetto di Manzo con Crosta al Gorgonzola (filet mignon with gorgonzola crust, brunello red wine sauce, sauteed garlic spinach, grilled polenta). You know when you bit into something really good and your eyes just kind-of roll involuntarily? That happened. YUM YUM YUM. I had to take a photo just to prove that it was cooked to a perfect medium too. DH was very happy he broke his promise from the night before to swear off all red meat for the rest of the cruise. The polenta was delicious as well - there was just too much of it! Something had to go partially uneaten because dessert I actually wanted was coming up...

25633206027_532ccabb0f.jpg

40461505162_77e15ac0c6.jpg

The entire dessert menu looked really good. Good thing you are only allowed one dessert each! DH ordered the ricotta & lemon curd cheesecake - and guess what? It was actual cheesecake - creamier than NY style because of the ricotta - and very good.

25633205357_4422158735.jpg

I ordered the Tiramisu. I’m having a hard time coming up with good words to describe it. Yummy, delicious, amazing… DH was not at a loss for words - “It’s even better than yours!”. It was true - even better than mine (and mine is from a fabulous, authentic recipe). We contemplated trying to get in for just dessert another night even though they were fully booked. I wondered if Christina could be bribed to smuggle us some???

It is pretty impressive that I managed to snap a photo before eating it. You’re welcome. :)

39793685704_f24b2fabe6.jpg

Food/wine coma was setting in so we headed back to our room after dinner. We're a bit boring when it comes to anything after 10pm and we're OK with that.

We were greeted by Mr. Elephant…

40504762031_6367b93121.jpg

...and went to bed saying a prayer that we would be able to tender to the elusive Great Stirrup Cay in the morning!

What a great review and I love the pictures. I was on the Escape in 2016 and was just on it January 13th through the 20th.

I also had a spa balcony. I see your bed configuration was with the bed by the door and the couch by the closet. This is what I had asked for since it was easier to access the closet with my disability. I was disappointed when we arrived to see the set up was not with the bed by the window. One traveler on our cabin crawl showed us how to move the bed forward a bit so that you could get into the closet easier. I was thankful for that.

We had a great cruise just did not get to snorkel on Grand Caymen due to the sea conditions and we did not stop at all at Great Stirrup Cay due to the wave conditions. That was disappointing but did we still had a great time. And I agree with you about the spa pass. Ahhh it was so nice to be in there. One of the highlights of the trip!!

Looking forward to reading the rest of your review!

Thanks for posting it!

Mary

I'm so sorry that the weather didn't cooperate for you on your Grand Cayman and Great Stirrup Cay days! The spa does help make just about anything better though.

We are going on the Getaway this spring with our kids and to get rooms together in the section of the ship we wanted - DH and I had to get a room with the bed closest to the closet. I'm hoping we can move it a few inches to make it easier to access - I'm sure going to try now that I know it might be possible. Thanks for the tip!

Thank you for all your reporting. We are going to the Caribbean on Dec 20th and just begun our research. I am glad you shared finding Hemingway’s. We stayed on Grand Cayman for 10 glorious days in 2004, at the Westin, and wanted to find a beach that wasn’t crowded like RP. Looks like we will be going to Hemingway’s. :D

You'll love it! Try to get an early tender and get there early. We had our pick of chairs and umbrellas. A few hours later it wasn't crowded on the beach by any means, but it was pretty impossible to get two chairs and an umbrella unless you wanted to stand around and wait for someone to leave.

We Will be on the escape top, on the same floor as you. Any last minute tips?:)

I'd say just have the cruise you want. See all the ship & stay out late, or figure you'll get to it next time and have a really relaxed cruise. This ship seems great for both. Spend time on the waterfront (walking & eating), sign up for early tenders, don't sweat the small stuff, and be nice to the staff. :)