Haven = Bleh

BNBR

My thermal spa experience was far from what you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting. I found the thermal spa super quiet and relaxing. One group started making some noise, not even this loud, and the attendant immediately asked them to quiet down.

When we were on NCL we stayed in the Haven and their was one family that did let their kids go nuts. However the rest of the ship was a zoo! So overcrowded. NCL never again not for us! Also only a lucky few can access the vibe. But you have to climb over chairs and bodies to access.

I'd have to agree. The ship has a lot of killer features. The dining is amazing, I've found the staff to be top notch, too. But I don't think NCL is for me. Too crowded in the public areas. Just not designed well for the quantity of passengers. I'm spoiled by Oasis-class and will stick to that when we have our entire family, and luxury lines or just nice resorts when it's the two of us.

Curiously, the pool rules in the Haven say kids under 12 must be accompanied by a parent. If this was actually enforced, I think it would solve the issue. Parent IN the pool, not just the courtyard.

The 12+ year old kids are not the problem. They are polite, and enjoy the adult atmosphere it seems. Can actually strike up a conversation with them.

I can agree with children under 5 if it is a health risk. But also people over 70 then.

Mentally competent adults are expected to make their own decisions. Children are expected to make stupid decisions, not because they are stupid but because they are children.

Again, I don't like children in adult spaces, but I expect that children in children areas will behave like children. And seeing as how we were all children once, we should let them enjoy being children in the right spots.

I agree with those who have said it depends on when you sail. I've been lucky enough to have stayed in the Haven 20+ times (mostly on Escape but also on BA and GA).

For the most part it has been wonderful although families do tend to take over the pool area and it can get quite loud. On Escape in particular I always spend my outside time on deck 19 and I wish NCL would make that deck adults only so that we may have some quiet place to relax.

On the minus side, I have witnessed children playing hide and go seek in the restaurant, playing catch with a ball (no lie!) in front of the buffet in the Haven restaurant, screaming and yelling at the table with zero parental intervention. Last week there was a group of six adults in the hot tub on deck 19 chatting and having drinks. A mother came up with her three small kids, settled in a lounger as the kids jumped in the hot tub splashing and screaming. The adults began complaining, mom did nothing, and they got out in a huff.

Also last week, on our sea days, every single lounger around the pool and up on deck 19 was chair-hogged by 7:30 in the morning with nary a person in sight. Several us complained to the concierge and the items were removed.

I try to carefully choose when I sail in the Haven trying to avoid holidays and school vacations. I love the Haven best on Escape mainly because I've come to know and love the crew and they make the experience amazing for me. As new ships are arriving and Haven prices are the highest I've ever seen, I doubt I'll be booking Haven as often as I have in the past simply from a financial standpoint.

When Haven is good, it is absolutely wonderful; when it's not, it can be an awful experience.

Tracy

Thank you for your insight to the Escape Haven. My two adult (21+) kids and I will be there the week of Thanksgiving. We are in the 2 bedroom suite which works best for us, hence no other options. As everyone knows, it's very expensive, but worth it to get away from the masses. This is supposed to be a chill vacation for all of us, as we don't care much about the itinerary. Do you have any thoughts on how many families might be onboard during Thanksgiving week? I know when my kids were young we didn't travel that week... I'm hoping that's still true for others. Not that I don't like kids, but as many others have said, the reason we booked Haven is so that we can have a relaxing time... otherwise we'd get two rooms at half the price and deal with the crowds.

Suffer the children who come to the Haven - the Good Book Ver. 101

NCL this is not Disney - so much for the Haven but then this is business

as usual - no contract stipulations or restrictions noted to keep families

out of the Haven.

Only thing to do here is book when the kids are in school - or at least

some of them.

Or perhaps NCL should entertain some cruises that will be all adult ?

No good answer or solution here.

Of course there's an "NCL" solution to a "better than 'Haven'" adult-focused experience which' date=' with the right itinerary choice, has a less costly "net daily rate" when the value of all inclusions (e.g., airfare/credit) are considered. It's called Oceania.

Anyone who has done a lot of cruising knows better than to expect a quiet cruise when school is out or spring break. I have read many reviews of the Haven and they have been far a wide positive. My son just did the Haven the Breakaway and loved it. The smaller ships Have a much smaller Haven area without a restaurant or bar; so that should be kept in mind.

Staying in the Haven on Breakaway in a few weeks and all these stories are making me anxious because our trip is over spring break. Be that as it may, my only thought is “kids will be kids”, and they’ll play, splash and be loud. It is what it is. I put FULL blame on their parents when they don’t do anything to rectify the situation. Haven or in the real world, that’s the way it is. The kids don’t piss me off. The parents do.

Thank you for your insight to the Escape Haven. My two adult (21+) kids and I will be there the week of Thanksgiving. We are in the 2 bedroom suite which works best for us, hence no other options. As everyone knows, it's very expensive, but worth it to get away from the masses. This is supposed to be a chill vacation for all of us, as we don't care much about the itinerary. Do you have any thoughts on how many families might be onboard during Thanksgiving week? I know when my kids were young we didn't travel that week... I'm hoping that's still true for others. Not that I don't like kids, but as many others have said, the reason we booked Haven is so that we can have a relaxing time... otherwise we'd get two rooms at half the price and deal with the crowds.

Deb, maybe the two rooms wouldn't be a bad choice for you and your family. We decided to get spa balcony rooms in part because we wanted to have some uncrowded (and child-free) areas. I have been thinking about what to do if we get an offer to bid for a Haven room...don't think we would do it.

Who would have thought? Maybe all the cheerleaders for the Haven are the same fools that show up with their 5 kids?

The Haven is essentially family harbor. Absolutely every single moment we have gone in, pool is loaded with kids. Splashing, screaming, snorkeling the hot tubs, you name it.

Sold a sanctuary, but apparently it's just an extension of the kids club. Definitely won't make that mistake again.

To anyone else who may be considering it.... If you are hoping for a quiet, relaxing courtyard like NCL portrays it... Buyer beware.

I have known all along the haven is a haven for screaming kids. It is not worth the money for us.

Thanksgiving week is a peak family travel week, expect a lot of kids.

Congratulations on raising a well behaved, respectful daughter. Unfortunately your daughter is the exception rather than the norm. Also, I wouldn’t consider a 13 year old a child. I would limit entry to kids under 12. Look, my point is kids have a ton of activities to do on today’s ships - water slides, rock climbing walls, arcades, activity centres, go-carts, rope courses etc. etc. etc. I just don’t think hot tubs should be added to their entertainment list. I’m not a pediatriction but I also believe that hot tubs can be dangerous for small children as they can raise heart rates to dangerous levels. Maybe the answer isn’t restrictions but enforcing good behaviour protocols for both children and adults.

There are a few hot tubs on NCL ships labeled adult only, the rest are okay for kids to use, don’t blame the kids. My kids are 15+, but if I spent the money for the haven so I didn’t have to be on a packed pool deck with my young family, I’m using the haven pool deck with my kids, hot tubs and all, unless labeled adult only.

I'm not in the medical field, but I think that it is for health reasons - they have so much more surface area and so much less body mass that I think it is easier for them to overheat in a shorter time than an adult body would. Remember, even adults are not supposed to stay in a hot tub for very extended periods of time.

if the "hot tubs" on our Getaway trip are any indication, there is no danger of that. They were barely above body temp. My only negative on the whole trip.

This is why im liking the price hike in the Haven....eventually parents who could bring 3-4 children will opt to do an AI resort. I wish they would stop offering free 3rd & 4th person for Haven rooms too. On the flip side I haven't seen a bad kid in the Haven yet. Usually well mannered and usually wanted to be by the water slides. I see them in the haven pool because the parents don't want to leave and sit by the main pool for their children to have fun. Maybe try booking Regent or Oceania.....the Ritz Carlton is coming out with a cruise ship too!

We were on the Epic Feb. 10 - 17th in the Haven. The pool area and restaurant were extremely quiet and relaxing. Most of the suites are 2 BR / 2 Baths. As everyone has said this is marketed to multiple occupants which means FAMILIES. Although, we only saw a handful of children under the age of 12 in the Haven "area" and this was primarily in passing.

As others have suggested try MSC for their Yacht Club. The suites are smaller but it limits occupancy. The MSC Yacht Club is much cheaper too which is a bonus.

We have the Haven booked for another cruise and realize every experience is different.

we avoid school vacation weeks. that cuts down immensely on the children on board. usually you just have homeschoolers (generally way better behaved) or european children (again, generally way better behaved).

i believe hot tubs are for a certain age (14 maybe?) and up. i do wish theyd enforce this tho. you see it out on the main pool deck too.

i wouldnt sail tahnksgiving week if they gave it to me free. you will have kids and families galore. good luck.

Ugh... doesn't anyone stay home with their families anymore? ;p I did assume it would be crowded, which is part of the reason why we chose the Haven. I'm looking forward to the private bar and restaurant. I guess we'll just have to hope it goes well.

If I did not want to be around kids I would not Book NCL or Royal. I would get a suite in Celebrity or MSC or even Hal I don't know if Hal has this I have not been on her too many old folks.

Even when I am in the private areas like Posh vibe or Haven I don't stay in there all day I am all over the ship were there are lots of kids so I do not understand why folks book these ships expecting a family orientated ship to be adults only.

You can ask folks on here that will agree that some of the adults are just as bad as kids running around. I have seen them take over all of the above places and they stay in there all day like they own the place.

.I believe the Breakaway doesn’t allow kids in their hot tubs...

Last week 2 of the 4 BA hot tubs were adults only

Staying in the Haven on Breakaway in a few weeks and all these stories are making me anxious because our trip is over spring break. Be that as it may, my only thought is “kids will be kids”, and they’ll play, splash and be loud. It is what it is. I put FULL blame on their parents when they don’t do anything to rectify the situation. Haven or in the real world, that’s the way it is. The kids don’t piss me off. The parents do.

Is there a sign or anything that says you must be quiet while enjoying the Haven pool area?

Last week 2 of the 4 BA hot tubs were adults only

Is there a sign or anything that says you must be quiet while enjoying the Haven pool area?

You obviously didn’t read my post. Which part of kids will be kids wasn’t clear?