To TA or Not to TA ... Just Some Thoughts and Questions

molymoo

We have completed ten cruises with Viking … both river and ocean … we have two more booked and pending and are looking at possibilities for number13. We have always dealt with Viking directly and enjoyed the repeat customer discount ($200 off per person). We additionally generally pay via e-check and realize an additional 3.3% savings. Wehave always been very happy with the customer experience when we call Viking and although we have experienced very little in the way of “issues” any and all have been handled in a professional and satisfactory manner.

Here’s the “But” …

I visit the boards regularly and have noticed that many cruisers book with travel agents/agencies and allude to “discounts” and other “perks” (e.g.:free silver beverage package, OBC, etc.) they received per their TA’s. Now none of these “perks” appear to be “mind-blowing”… just a “token” of appreciation for the business. I’m surprised that Viking doesn’t do this more often … we did get some “perks” from them when we booked our 10th… I simply asked about Viking “custom” Air (which used to be free for Explorer Society Members) and the agent suggested that although it was no longer free they should certainly give it to us as such loyal customers. He went to his supervisor and came back with not only free custom air but a generous OBC as well. It was a nice little “extra” and we appreciated it. That was the only time that anything like that happened.

I will admit that it was just a tiny bit annoying when we heard that a friend booked a Viking cruise with a TA and got a “small discount”, a free silver spirits package, and an OBC as well … all for booking their first Viking cruise. Now I realize that these extras are coming from the agent but is Viking being short-sighted by not offering some of these perks now and then? Bottom line … I have the TA’s information and am considering giving him a call … the control freak in me is very hesitant, but maybe this once we might try it.

Is there a “down side” to dealing with a TA? Perhaps the standard Viking discounts are equal to what any TA might offer. Any thoughts on this one?

I have only been on ocean cruises. Not interested in river cruises at this point.

Have used various travel agents for each of my sailing. Two of them did not give me any perks, but were a vast wealth of information, great service anytime day or night, and help in my post cruise plans and hiring private guides. Other online travel agencies gave me OBC and various perks for booking with them. They also did have group discount for the Celebrity sailings Downside is tht they are hard to get a hold of evenings and weekends. .

I had booked one future sailing while on board. I then transferred it to my TA within 30 days to get added perks from my TA.

I am taking my first Viking cruise in a month, booked over 18 months ago with a TA. Got good service but no perks. Still trying to figure out what deals for repeat customers, referral perk, and booking on board.

It would be nice if Viking offered an open future cruise certicate for on board customers to purchase. I really liked that program with Celebrity.

I have only been on ocean cruises. Not interested in river cruises at this point.

Have used various travel agents for each of my sailing. Two of them did not give me any perks, but were a vast wealth of information, great service anytime day or night, and help in my post cruise plans and hiring private guides. Other online travel agencies gave me OBC and various perks for booking with them. They also did have group discount for the Celebrity sailings Downside is tht they are hard to get a hold of evenings and weekends. .

I had booked one future sailing while on board. I then transferred it to my TA within 30 days to get added perks from my TA.

I am taking my first Viking cruise in a month, booked over 18 months ago with a TA. Got good service but no perks. Still trying to figure out what deals for repeat customers, referral perk, and booking on board.

It would be nice if Viking offered an open future cruise certicate for on board customers to purchase. I really liked that program with Celebrity.

Viking does offer a program similar to what you describe. Earlier this month on our first Viking cruise we booked a voyage on board. We received numerous discounts (Explorer Society, book on board.) The ES discount was $200 per person; the on board discount was $400 per person which I believe varies based on the cruise; now here's the part that is similar to Celebrity - with this booking we have the option to change the date or itinerary within four months of the planned cruise. This did require a $500 per person deposit. We normally cruise with Crystal; their on board booking discount is about $135 per person; they do offer a plan where one can get that discount if they book a cruise within six months, a $250 per person refundable deposit is required.

I have always shared a similar frustration - I fired my last T/A because I was doing all the work and I perceived that there was just not enough incentive in the deal for her - I get that. Being very hands-on and loving the planning part, I am not a very desirable client.

What it all comes down to is transparency - either Viking offers T/A's a certain commission that they can share, or not. I've read that the compensation they offer has either been greatly diminished on Ocean, or eliminated altogether. The River cruises are more competitive and I think there is a real incentive for Viking to keep up a competitive commission structure there.

Just let me have the best deal - or the same deal everyone else gets is what I want. I am quite happy dealing directly - I prefer it actually, but let me have the same deal that some T/A's offer.

I'm at a quandary as to which way is best, since I have never received anything extra* from either Viking direct booking or from my soon to be former Viking TA. I too would like to have a fair traded best deal, especially as an N time customer.

I think I'll let my more skilled negotiator wife book our next Viking cruise.

* Beyond the publicly advertised perks for the particular cruise.

We have only booked two cruises with Viking-one river and one ocean.

For the river, we were referred by our already booked traveling companions and after checking with Viking direct and a couple of online travel agencies, we booked using the online component of a membership warehouse. With them, we paid the same price as our friends, got the referral discount, a $200 obc and a gift card to the warehouse that was equal to just under 10% of three total amount we were paying to Viking.

That cruise was in spring of 2016. We had an issue afterViking canceled our inital cruise and the TA went to bat for us and we ended up with a two category upgrade on the replacement one.

When we got ready to book our upcoming (5 days away) Transatlantic, we first tried booking through the same online TA but learned they don’t book Viking Ocean. After a short search leading to the conclusion we couldn’t save money with a TA, we booked directly with Viking.

A day or two later, on a Viking thread a fellow CC mentioned their TA offered a hefty OBC. I got in touch directly with the poster, she gave me the TA contact info and we moved our booking. We expect to have a $600 obc when we board next Sunday.

YMMV

With the removal of discounts that Viking allows TA to offer, the minimal on board credit may not make it worth using a TA. We have used a TA for each of our past 4 cruises and after reading on here how Viking offers upgrades without asking and not having to go thru your TA to make changes, make using Viking directly more appealing to me for our next cruise. The only benefit I can see would be a person to assist if there was a problem but my various TA were never helpful and I have researched what I want before making a reservation and know more of Viking cruises then they do. Also it was brought up about the discount for paying with echeck, well paying with most credit cards you get a percentage back as well as having another source of assistance if things go wrong. We each have our own preferences.

In the past our TA gave us 15% off of the Viking price, plus the onboard booking credit, plus the repeat passenger credit. Now Viking has reduced the things that TAs can do, but they can still give onboard credit I believe...I haven't checked as our cruise is all booked and discounts in place. I've used the same TA for many years, have booked more than 20 cruises with her and always make out better than booking direct.

In the past our TA gave us 15% off of the Viking price, plus the onboard booking credit, plus the repeat passenger credit. Now Viking has reduced the things that TAs can do, but they can still give onboard credit I believe...I haven't checked as our cruise is all booked and discounts in place. I've used the same TA for many years, have booked more than 20 cruises with her and always make out better than booking direct.

I recently booked a 2019 cruise on the Jupiter directly with Viking and then turned it over to my TA. After negotiating with him, he not only pushed back on Viking’s early payment requirement and had it changed to 6 months from departure, but also gave us a $4100 cash back rebate on final payment. I could choose cash, OBC, or combination of both. I would say that is a darn good reason to use a TA.

I recently booked a 2019 cruise on the Jupiter directly with Viking and then turned it over to my TA. After negotiating with him, he not only pushed back on Viking’s early payment requirement and had it changed to 6 months from departure, but also gave us a $4100 cash back rebate on final payment. I could choose cash, OBC, or combination of both. I would say that is a darn good reason to use a TA.

I want your TA!

It doesn't matter if you book directly with Viking or with a TA: if you ask for a later final payment date, you will get it. I think it's on a "if you don't ask, you don't get" kind of basis. We always ask!

Amex Platinum told me that Viking offers nothing for the TA to give now. I still wanted the cruise and in the event there is an issue, Amex always works for you and not worth the risk to me. I recently paid in full and saw $100 OBC for each of us. ;-). Not what we usually get.

After reading all of your posts I decided to call a travel agent we have used in the past for river cruises. I have already booked direct with Viking Ocean for cruise this fall. I asked the TA if they could offer any additional OBC or % back. He said I would have to transfer the reservation to him first before he could tell me what they could offer me. Is this the normal procedure? Thx

After reading all of your posts I decided to call a travel agent we have used in the past for river cruises. I have already booked direct with Viking Ocean for cruise this fall. I asked the TA if they could offer any additional OBC or % back. He said I would have to transfer the reservation to him first before he could tell me what they could offer me. Is this the normal procedure? Thx

Sounds fishy to me. Since he already knows you, he can't claim he is trying to protect his relationship with Viking in case you are a troll. Many folks have posted that they always offer their booking to more than one TA and choose the best offer -- so they must be getting the terms without committing first!

Viking used to allow travel agents to give discounts. My TA used to give 15% off the fare. Then Viking no longer allowed it. What they do allow is for the TA to give OBC. The OBC varies depending on the length of the cruise. $150 per guest for seven-night sailings, $300 per guest for eight to 14-night sailings and $500 per guest for 15-night plus sailings. You still get whatever is offered on the Viking site as far as the fare is concerned, past customer discount, etc. I think it is still best to use a TA to get the OBC.

I have always shared a similar frustration - I fired my last T/A because I was doing all the work and I perceived that there was just not enough incentive in the deal for her - I get that. Being very hands-on and loving the planning part, I am not a very desirable client.

I got a TA for the first time in 25 years. My situation is exactly the same as you described. I don't know what to do. Can someone from this thread help?

I got a TA for the first time in 25 years. My situation is exactly the same as you described. I don't know what to do. Can someone from this thread help?

I'm not sure what Dark Avenger means: a client who does all the work should be very desirable to a TA because they get the full commission without doing much work :confused:

I often book directly with the cruise line, but then always transfer my booking to a TA. Sometimes I get a lot of extra benefit from the TA. Other times I get good advice [before the booking] -- I still book direct to make sure I have the cabin and 'deal' I'm looking at on the website, often in the middle of the night. But the reason I always end up with a TA is that if something goes wrong during the trip, my TA is available – in the US – with a phone and computer [and some direct numbers to the cruise line and insurance company that consumers don't have] – and can act as my advocate while I am trying to enjoy what's left of my trip. A TA never costs you anything but can add this bit of invaluable insurance. Of course, this rules out 'big box store' TAs because they aren't available nights and weekends when you might need them – mine is.