applehazar

Cozumel. Ferry travel dangerous?

We received a message on our door this morning saying the us government put a ferry travel warning for Cozumel. That was unexpected. Further the ship cancelled all ferry excursions. Not sure what is going on as no ship people are talking. Is other excursions safe? This is very disturbing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A ferry exploded at its dock last week, guessing that is what prompted it.

Authorities linked the event to an "explosive device":

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-blast/u-s-issues-alert-after-tourist-ferry-explosion-in-mexico-idUSKCN1GE0AC

I normally scoff at the travel warnings for this area (plenty of U.S. cities have much worse crime rates) but the fact that they found two more devices on another ferry yesterday gives me pause. On the other hand I'm not changing my plans for our stop in Cozumel in a few weeks... authorities will be all over this area perhaps making it safer than ever.

Though I do wonder how RCCL will react to this. Reroute to Belize?

No, just the travel to the mainland will be limited due to this ferry issue - no real impact for Cozumel itself.

Authorities linked the event to an "explosive device":

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-blast/u-s-issues-alert-after-tourist-ferry-explosion-in-mexico-idUSKCN1GE0AC

I normally scoff at the travel warnings for this area (plenty of U.S. cities have much worse crime rates) but the fact that they found two more devices on another ferry yesterday gives me pause. On the other hand I'm not changing my plans for our stop in Cozumel in a few weeks... authorities will be all over this area perhaps making it safer than ever.

No, just do not take a ferry. Plenty to do in Cozumel without leaving the island.

No, just do not take a ferry. Plenty to do in Cozumel without leaving the island.

That much is obvious, I'm just curious about the cruise line's point of view. 'Bombs being placed on ferrys at a port where I'm dropping off guests... how do we respond to this?'

That much is obvious, I'm just curious about the cruise line's point of view. 'Bombs being placed on ferrys at a port where I'm dropping off guests... how do we respond to this?'

The general ferry port is some distance away from the piers used by the cruiselines.

The general ferry port is some distance away from the piers used by the cruiselines.

One of the cruise ports is next to the ferry landing in San Miguel de Cozumel

One of the cruise ports is next to the ferry landing in San Miguel de Cozumel

RCI generally doesn't use that one.

RCI generally doesn't use that one.

Correct. The pier generally used by RCCL is several miles south of the Punta Langosta Pier.

Correct. The pier generally used by RCCL is several miles south of the Punta Langosta Pier.
However the ferries do pick up and drop off the RCI Shorex right next to the ship.

However the ferries do pick up and drop off the RCI Shorex right next to the ship.

Pick up was on the same pier but drop off was on the non-secure pier somewhat away from the cruise ship piers. They could move pick up there as well.

Pick up was on the same pier but drop off was on the non-secure pier somewhat away from the cruise ship piers. They could move pick up there as well.
I'll be there Tuesday 3/6 on Empress, I'll try to check it out. Edited by FLACRUISER99
Wrong day

Personally I'd be concerned. If they aren't doing it, I wouldn't. Was just there in Dec... "U.S. government employees are prohibited from using all tourist ferries on this route until further notice. Mexican and U.S. law enforcement continue to investigate," the embassy said in the alert.

Wow, not feeling so bad about missing my spring break cruise to Cozumel now, we were planning to do the ruins but with that bus crash and now this, I know we would not have wanted to. Thankful nobody was killed.

Wow, not feeling so bad about missing my spring break cruise to Cozumel now, we were planning to do the ruins but with that bus crash and now this, I know we would not have wanted to. Thankful nobody was killed.

The video is quite scary to watch. I feel so bad for those people.

The explosive devices being planted on a ferry is a concern. But we are going to Mr. Sanchos on our Spring Break cruise and I am not worried about my safety while in Cozumel.

Saw on another cruise board that Royal and another line are suspending excursions in Coz that require travel via ferry due to security concerns. DW and I are traveling on Brilliance in Dec to Coz and Grand Caymon. Im thinking by then it should be ironed out, but curious as to which excursions are affected?

Saw on another cruise board that Royal and another line are suspending excursions in Coz that require travel via ferry due to security concerns. DW and I are traveling on Brilliance in Dec to Coz and Grand Caymon. Im thinking by then it should be ironed out, but curious as to which excursions are affected?

Anything that uses the ferry.

Cozumel is an island. If your excursion is on the mainland, you take the ferry over. This is always (I think) an excursion to the Mayan ruins.