Pay to upgrade?

warthog2608

Just received an email from Princess that I haven’t seen before. For $49 per booking I can purchase Princess Advance Boarding. The description reads; Access the priority line for check-in and boarding at the terminal. Board earlier to reserve shore excursions, specialty dining and The Sanctuary. Choose your preferred time to disembark.

I’m not sure I like the perks for Captain’s Circle progression being for sale to the highest bidder.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just received an email from Princess that I haven’t seen before. For $49 per booking I can purchase Princess Advance Boarding. The description reads; Access the priority line for check-in and boarding at the terminal. Board earlier to reserve shore excursions, specialty dining and The Sanctuary. Choose your preferred time to disembark.

I’m not sure I like the perks for Captain’s Circle progression being for sale to the highest bidder.

Seems like they are taking away the priority board and selling it for a price.

Sound like Carnival’s Faster to the Fun program. On Carnival they offer a limited amount of slots supposedly based on how many Platinum / Diamond passengers there are. The more in these two categories the fewer the slots . In addition, they have priority boarding , but not above Platinum/ Diamond .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have not heard of this. Will it degrade those of us with priority boarding? On many cruises there are so many with priority, it becomes a non perk

Paul, I know just what you mean. IMHO This is just another "squeeze more money from the passengers" ploy

I am concerned about the impact to those of us who have earned the privilege of priority boarding. There really are people who HAVE TO BE FIRST and are willing to pay. Seems we elite are about to have our elite perks further degraded.

I don't think it's taking away the other priority boarding options. In fact, I thought it read that suites, elite and platinum may board before.

BVE sometimes boards before too.

As long as the paid for doesn't board before priority boarding, way to nickle and dime, Princess!

Again chipping away at previous perks. It will definitely leave Elite/Platinum/Suite priority boarding behind others. Add this to doing away with Happy Hour, changing evening E/P/S guest get together, changes in coffee card etc...this is not the Princess I know and like. Especially irking is I booked a cruise 18 months ago with certain expectations and now as cruise approaches (3/30/18) all these changes are occurring. Not sure I am going to be booking FCD (as I planned).

Chris

Paul, I know just what you mean. IMHO This is just another "squeeze more money from the passengers" ploy

I am concerned about the impact to those of us who have earned the privilege of priority boarding. There really are people who HAVE TO BE FIRST and are willing to pay. Seems we elite are about to have our elite perks further degraded.

You hit the nail right on the head. I totally agree with you. “Squeeze more money from the passengers”

It’s getting to be a Carnival-Princess MOTTO.:(

Tony

Well Royal Caribbean did it to...D & D+ about 10 years ago..and continues to chip away.....in fact when they took away the stock ownership perk, that same year, if I am not mistaken Princes actually added theirs...and military perks too......It's not as if all these benefits have been around since the beginning. Our first cruise was 1983 our honeymoon...have we seen changes????? you better believe it....

Interesting though everyone eventually accepts and adjusts to the changes....

Its pretty apparent sales are going well for Princess......and promos have kept the prices up, so I would not be surprised to see more and more changes.....Good or bad.....they are a comin'

IMHO, it depends on how they implement it. If those in the elite lounge board first, then those who have paid under this program, no harm done. They are still rewarding those who have obtained priority status by paying tens of thousands of dollars in cruise fares, suite fares, etc. over those who paid $49. I have no problem with that. If those who paid the $49 board before the elites and suites, there is something wrong with that logic. However, I doubt that many elites will vote with their feet.

I can't fault Princess for getting the max dollars from as many passengers as possible.

It is a little sad that they are imitating their "poor cousin" though.

Edited by moki'smommy

Kind of silly. If you show up at 10:30 you are usually onboard by 11:30 regardless of whether you have any status. And at that time there is seldom a line at any of the checkin stations, so priority boarding checkin doesn't mean much. Suppose they could let this group on before Elite/Suite, but would generate some pretty upset folks.

As elite we have already done a lot of voting with our feet. We now do half our cruises on Royal because the beef medallions went away and Princess quit sailing April-October in the Caribbean. We can always get some kind of steak at dinner on Royal.

We now do half our cruises on Royal because the beef medallions went away and Princess quit sailing April-October in the Caribbean.
The Caribbean Princess is staying in the Caribbean this summer. It's alternating between eastern (Princess Cays, St. Thomas, St. Maarten) and western (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel) itineraries.

As for paying $49 per person to board early, it may end up not being worthwhile. Sometimes people taking back-to-back cruises have already booked up the Sanctuary. Now that Princess allows people to make reservations for specialty restaurants ahead of time (and has always allowed us to reserve shore excursions, at least as long as I've been sailing on Princess), the benefits of boarding early don't seem worth it.

I'd be happy to pay this when we sail Princess. We're primarily Celebrity customers but will sail on Princess when an itinerary is appealing to us -- as is the case with our European cruise next month. I'd much rather pay a small charge and alleviate some of the boarding hassle/wait.

I'd be happy to pay this when we sail Princess. We're primarily Celebrity customers but will sail on Princess when an itinerary is appealing to us -- as is the case with our European cruise next month. I'd much rather pay a small charge and alleviate some of the boarding hassle/wait.

And Princess is counting on the fact that there will be many who feel this way.

Sound like Carnival’s Faster to the Fun program. On Carnival they offer a limited amount of slots supposedly based on how many Platinum / Diamond passengers there are. The more in these two categories the fewer the slots . In addition, they have priority boarding , but not above Platinum/ Diamond .

Carnival's FTTF program has more benefits than initial priority boarding and selecting a disembarkation time.

From the Carnival web site:

Here's what the program includes:

Priority Security, Check-in and Boarding

A dedicated security and check-in lane has been set aside for all Priority guests on embarkation day. FTTF guests will board after VIFP Diamond, Platinum and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations.

Note: Only VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations have access to the Captain’s Lounge.

Priority Luggage

While we process thousands of bags, FTTF luggage will receive priority delivery.

Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests.

Guest Services

Quickly have any of your questions answered or requests addressed as you will have a dedicated phone extension and line at Guest Services.

Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests.

Dining Reservations

Priority Dinner Time Assignment: FTTF guests will be cleared after VIFP Platinum guests. This benefit does not include specific time reservations for 'Your Time Dining'.

Note: VIFP Diamond guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations are guaranteed their dining in the Main Dining Room.

Tender Priority

You will have priority tender service from ship to shore (multiple departure times may be possible) so you can explore ashore as quickly as you want to. When ready to go ashore, if not on a Carnival shore excursion, present yourself at the Guest Services Desk.

Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations.

Debarkation Choices

When it’s time to say good bye, you may choose an early or late disembarkation time upon arrival to your homeport.

Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations.

Things to Remember

• The FTTF price is not per person. One ticket per stateroom covers all occupants of the stateroom, so only one guest needs to purchase and all occupants receive the benefits.
  • For guests sailing on multiple cruises back to back, FTTF must be purchased for each cruise in order to benefit from the program.
  • FTTF can only be purchased prior to the cruise; al a carte services cannot be purchased onboard. FTTF is now open on sail dates through 2018, where applicable. It will be offered on the Carnival Horizon starting with the 12/01/2018 departure. For 2019 sail dates, please check back in the Spring of 2018.
  • All FTTF guests must check-in online and select an Arrival Appointment.
  • Guests who completed their Online Check-in prior to purchasing the FTTF package, will need to re-print their boarding pass and luggage tags so the FTTF stamp reflects on the documents.

A Few Facts on Faster to the Fun

• VIFP Diamond and Platinum members and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations are the only guests to have access to the Captain’s Lounge at embarkation.
  • Similar to airlines boarding first class and then elite frequent flyers, etc., we will start boarding with VIFP Diamond and Platinum members, followed by guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations and then FTTF guests.
  • The number of people who may purchase the FTTF package will be capacity controlled based upon the number of VIFP Diamond and Platinum members booked on the sailing.

Since many of the FTTF benefits are during the cruise, pricing is based on the length of the cruise and the ship it is for. Pricing (again, per cabin) is from $49.95 to $79.95.

I am not finding any reference to Princess Advance Boarding on the Princess web site.

I am past the waiting period to get on the ship as I am platinum, CC, or suite in my next 4 cruises. However, when I was a newbie, I always got to the port around 10:30 a.m. and started the process of boarding. I always was there early enough to get a seat to wait for my boarding to begin, sometimes up to an hour. But to be honest, I was not upset by it. I love to people watch and it just started my cruise experience that much sooner. So to pay $49, no way Jose. I hope not many people sign up for this and it will be gone in the wind soon!!!!!!!:halo:

Pooh

Mimicking Carnival. I agree, it denigrates the Captain's Circle perks.