Cruise Critic Community
TRIPACIAN

Churrascaria dining venue.... What is your opinion?

We love the Brazilian place. We refuse to try to spell or pronounce it.

If you like the Lido (Marketplace) crew, it is the most fun place to eat on the ships.

The food is fine. We usually skip the meat altogether. Plenty of other choices.

We are not big fans of the Churrasqueria

The food is good but . .

Too much food

Too heavy

Too noisy

I prefer to "graze" if possible.  I would love a restaurant with lighter fare and more options and one that I would be happy to enjoy multiple times on a long cruise.  I would prefer a more relaxing atmosphere.

The most we can eat in the Churrasqueria is once on a 30 day cruise.  It just does not call us back.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:08 PM, Woodrowst said:

My wife and I just finished a wonderful Symphony cruise and thought we might weigh in on Churrascaria.   We were interested to see what this somewhat new venue was like.

Unfortunately, it did not work for us on a number of levels: 

1) It is part buffet and part service - seemingly the worst of both.  We went to the buffet for our side dishes and then they got cold while waiting for a waiter to come around with the meat.    This brings up the conceptual question of why one should eat at an on-board venue that gives you different components of your main meal at different times rather than eat at an on-board venue that serves a coordinated plated meal. 

2)  You can't order the meat at your preferred level of cooking (e.g. rare, medium, well-done);  you take what you get when the waiter slices the meat at your table.   We found the meat was more well-done than we like.  This brings up the conceptual question of why one should eat at an on-board venue where you take what you get in terms of how the meat is cooked rather than eat at an on-board venue that will allow you to select how thoroughly the meat is cooked.

3)  The environment is cafeteria-like.   This brings up the conceptual question of why one should eat at an on-board venue that has a cafeteria atmosphere when, for the same cost and wearing the same clothes, you could be eating at on-board venues that are much more elegant.

I realize that these are only our opinions and this is meant to add to the discussion.  We mean no disrespect to those who enjoyed Churrascaria.

David

Ditto. I think you just nailed it, for us anyway. 

Having been to a real Churrascaria I’m sure it is not as authentic.  The real good ones in Brazil have fresh fish, sushi, salads and multitudes of protein also a wide assortment of fruits and desserts.  The red and green cards indicate if you want more or stop serving the protein meat or chicken.  

From what I have read about this venue and Silk it seems to be not that popular as Tastes was.  We will experience these new venues next year and share our thoughts.

Crystal overthought this IMHO.  Basic Chinese food and Brazilian food is not luxury dining.  If you don’t like it write it up.

Edited by MalbecWine

We were just on Serenity and didn’t have any of the issues I see many posters seem to have had on Symphony.

Churra was not noisy, sides were hot and varied,  meat was done from rare to well, the salads were varied and seasoned well, service was prompt and excellent, views were very nice at a window table.  

One of the head chefs from the marketplace was overseeing everything including serving sides and checking on tables. We were pleasantly surprised with this restaurant 

22 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

Basic Chinese food and Brazilian food is not luxury dining.

I'm not sure I agree (I think the type of food is unrelated to the dining experience), but I also don't understand what I think is your overarching point.......It looks like you mean to say that only "luxury dining" should be available on a luxury cruise line.  Did I misinterpret?  Because I'd respond by saying that eating in a banquet hall or a restaurant the size of Waterside isn't luxury dining either. 

Ultimately, different people have different definitions of "luxury" and there are no objective rules to define the term, at least when it comes to cruising.

2 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

I'm not sure I agree (I think the type of food is unrelated to the dining experience), but I also don't understand what I think is your overarching point.......It looks like you mean to say that only "luxury dining" should be available on a luxury cruise line.  Did I misinterpret?  Because I'd respond by saying that eating in a banquet hall or a restaurant the size of Waterside isn't luxury dining either. 

Ultimately, different people have different definitions of "luxury" and there are no objective rules to define the term, at least when it comes to cruising.

I meant to say fine dining not luxury.  I’m certainly not expecting the French Laundry, Per Se or Ad Hoc on any cruise line.  I think the Vintage Room is the closest you will get to fine dining.  It’s hard for luxury lines to compete with Michelin Star land based restaurants at sea.

We had a wonderful cruise on Serenity a month ago, and one evening tried Churrasqueria.

It was almost embarrassingly bad -- the only disappointing dinner of the cruise.

Royal Caribbean has an excellent Brazilian steakhouse on at least one of its Oasis class ships, and NCL has a very good Brazilian steakhouse on several of its larger ships.

Churrasqueria wasn't in the same league with either.  The buffet of appetizers was not even close to as good as the appetizers on either RCL or NCL.  The meat offerings were not as good either.

Crystal should take a look at these other sea-going Brazilian steakhouses to see how it should be done.

37 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

I meant to say fine dining not luxury.

Ah, that makes more sense.  I think your definition as fine dining applying (based on your example) only to Michelin starred restaurants is too limited though; I think Umi Uma and Prego can fall within the "fine dining" category given their quality, decor, service, and size..  I agree that Waterside, Silk, and Currasqueria do not.

Just returned from 14 days on Serenity, RT from LA. Tried  Churrascaria once, and left to go to Waterside. Service was not good. Problems with food delivery were described in earlier postings. Shrimp arrived undercooked and beef and chicken arrived over cooked,so we did not eat these. The buffet had very few items we found appetizing so there was little there for us to eat. Glad that Waterside is now open seating so we could go there without a reserved time. We had a great meal in Waterside.

On another food venue, we had a wonderful evening in the Supper Club in Stardust on the first BTO night.  This new venue was available by reservation on the first and last of the 3 BTO nights. Dinner and dancing with the Crystal Orchestra and other  lovely entertainment. 

8 minutes ago, tipsygirl said:

the Supper Club

Ah, another widely-appreciated option not available on Symphony, the poor step-sister of the Ocean ships.   (I actually prefer Symphony for other reasons, but it was sad that there wasn't a Tastes, and now that there's no Supper Club.)

Many people love Mediterranean Food which is healthy and delicious could be an alternative venue.  If people don’t go to Silk or the Brazilian venue perhaps Crystal will make adjustments.  I can’t imagine Asians enjoying mediocre Chinese food.  

One of the issues that Symphony has vs Serenity is there is no real kitchen other than by the Waterside on Symphony.  Limits what they can do if they want to keep dining similar. 

Since we aren’t Asian foods lovers we’d love to see different types of restaurants on new builds. 

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

Ah, another widely-appreciated option not available on Symphony, the poor step-sister of the Ocean ships.   (I actually prefer Symphony for other reasons, but it was sad that there wasn't a Tastes, and now that there's no Supper Club.)

Actually I think "poor step-sister" is unfair to Symphony and is a matter of its design. The Stardust (?) on Symphony, because of its mid-ship location and open design, simply has too many other uses to accommodate a Supper Club. As to Tastes, Serenity was built with food service included in the "Silk" space, and had galley facilities (though not a full galley) built into the space. As noted above, Symphony has only the main galley. Rather than a poor step-sister I am inclined to think of Symphony as Crystal's "test bed". She was first to get the pool area re-designed with the new furniture, first to have its Stardust re-designed, Palm Court re-designed, and was first into the most recent drydock conversion. While we do tend to sail Serenity most frequently, we will happily sail either ship any time.

21 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

is unfair to Symphony and is a matter of its design

Exactly it's a matter of her design, and they have had the opportunity to change the design and decided not to.  As I said, I love Symphony, but I believe she does get less time and money than Serenity. 

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

Exactly it's a matter of her design, and they have had the opportunity to change the design and decided not to.  As I said, I love Symphony, but I believe she does get less time and money than Serenity. 

I probably should have said "the way she was built" rather than designed. She was built in 1993 - 1995 and I suspect was "state of the art" when she went into service. Serenity was built in 2001 - 2003 and benefited from almost ten years of marine technological advancement over her sister. Rather than Crystal deciding not to take the opportunity, I am more inclined to think it is a case of not being able to change the physical structure of the ship to add a Tastes or another venue that could have become a Supper Club. And that starts with something as simple as having enough places for the required extra crew to sleep!

Where is Vince when we need him! He is the expert on these types of things!! 😁

I'm sorry that some of you have been less than pleased with Churrascaria, but perhaps it was a different chef or a supplier of products.  Our experience on Symphony a week ago was very positive.  We found it a nice change from the fine dining atmosphere of Waterside and Prego, and I imagine it will be particularly nice in the summer months when it is light outside, because most of the tables were bordering the windows.  I don't know if there are any plans to include dining outside on the fantail. 

I don't eat red meat, but found plenty to choose from on the salad bar and among the sides.  The shrimp ceviche was excellent!  As far as the protein offered, the chicken was great the two nights we dined there.  The large prawns, however, were flavorless. David and our friends who do eat red meat found the choices tender and tasty.  The pineapple with cinnamon that grilled and then sliced for you was excellent!  I don't know why I never thought of doing that.

The atmosphere was convivial and the service attentive.  

Do give it another chance when you next sail.

Ricki

It's interesting how we each see things from different perspectives.

In terms of the venues I think that Symphony has had the most updates to its public rooms as she has gone through more dry docks.  Serenity now is going through its updates to public rooms as it did on the most recent dry dock.

The Brazilian restaurant on both ships is pretty popular from our experience and in speaking with guests on both ships.  Presently on Serenity they have been very busy.  We have gone to the one on Symphony and will go to the one on Serenity later in this voyage.

I do think that choice is good.  I am reminded that not everyone likes each restaurant.  We love Umi Uma but some people don't.

I also recommend giving restaurants a second chance as Ricki mentioned.  On our first few voyages with Crystal Pego didn't work for me.  In time, that changed and I do enjoy it very much.  For me it took me some time to figure out the range of items that I enjoy and now we love it.

Keith

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

It's interesting how we each see things from different perspectives.

In terms of the venues I think that Symphony has had the most updates to its public rooms as she has gone through more dry docks.  Serenity now is going through its updates to public rooms as it did on the most recent dry dock.

The Brazilian restaurant on both ships is pretty popular from our experience and in speaking with guests on both ships.  Presently on Serenity they have been very busy.  We have gone to the one on Symphony and will go to the one on Serenity later in this voyage.

I do think that choice is good.  I am reminded that not everyone likes each restaurant.  We love Umi Uma but some people don't.

I also recommend giving restaurants a second chance as Ricki mentioned.  On our first few voyages with Crystal Pego didn't work for me.  In time, that changed and I do enjoy it very much.  For me it took me some time to figure out the range of items that I enjoy and now we love it.

Keith

Lamb in Prego is the absolute best!!😊

While i love the lamb in Prego, i almost prefer the Waterside version. The former is very tender whereas the latter seems to have more flavour. Either way they are both excellent. 

On 12/21/2018 at 2:08 PM, Woodrowst said:

My wife and I just finished a wonderful Symphony cruise and thought we might weigh in on Churrascaria.   We were interested to see what this somewhat new venue was like.

Unfortunately, it did not work for us on a number of levels: 

1) It is part buffet and part service - seemingly the worst of both.  We went to the buffet for our side dishes and then they got cold while waiting for a waiter to come around with the meat.    This brings up the conceptual question of why one should eat at an on-board venue that gives you different components of your main meal at different times rather than eat at an on-board venue that serves a coordinated plated meal. 

2)  You can't order the meat at your preferred level of cooking (e.g. rare, medium, well-done);  you take what you get when the waiter slices the meat at your table.   We found the meat was more well-done than we like.  This brings up the conceptual question of why one should eat at an on-board venue where you take what you get in terms of how the meat is cooked rather than eat at an on-board venue that will allow you to select how thoroughly the meat is cooked.

3)  The environment is cafeteria-like.   This brings up the conceptual question of why one should eat at an on-board venue that has a cafeteria atmosphere when, for the same cost and wearing the same clothes, you could be eating at on-board venues that are much more elegant.

I realize that these are only our opinions and this is meant to add to the discussion.  We mean no disrespect to those who enjoyed Churrascaria.

David

Mr. B. has not articulated his full opinion, but I'm guessing he would second every one of the ones you have voiced here.

All he said was, I don't ever need to come back here.

I'd go back b/c I want to try the shrimp and the creamed spinach, both of which I missed!

Several friends and I greatly enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and the tasty food at Churrascaria. With one exception we’ve always had excellent service. If the meat was too rare, we just asked for it more medium done. No problem.  We usually go once a week or so. 

Edited by TER777

The Meat Palace.

it is a cruise ship with a nice little nugget of yummy and fun times!

Regular salad bar, fresh and stocked like lunch buffet.

Go lightly on the starter stuff, save it for the main meat battle.

Brazilian sausage - sweet and savory juicy sausage.  Just get it ne.

Parmesan Chicken - great crunchy skin, a well trimmed leg of 🐓.

Braised beef short rib - nice juicy tender hunk of moo.  Would NOT let me have the entire skewer!  Ugh....

The Lamb popsicles - medium rare, seasoned well and...all gone!

Beef tenderloin - better than I make at home!

Grilled shrimp, didn’t have but oh my, the sizzled as the skewer went by!

Grilled pineapple - carmelized sugar and cinnamon pairs nice with pork medallions they will slice for you!

The service was great fun, watching Clarry and Dio slicing away with broadswords and they still have their fingers!

Such good foods, simply prepared and the staff makes it all special!

On 12/27/2018 at 7:55 AM, gmarsh said:

The Meat Palace.

it is a cruise ship with a nice little nugget of yummy and fun times!

Regular salad bar, fresh and stocked like lunch buffet.

Go lightly on the starter stuff, save it for the main meat battle.

Brazilian sausage - sweet and savory juicy sausage.  Just get it ne.

Parmesan Chicken - great crunchy skin, a well trimmed leg of 🐓.

Braised beef short rib - nice juicy tender hunk of moo.  Would NOT let me have the entire skewer!  Ugh....

The Lamb popsicles - medium rare, seasoned well and...all gone!

Beef tenderloin - better than I make at home!

Grilled shrimp, didn’t have but oh my, the sizzled as the skewer went by!

Grilled pineapple - carmelized sugar and cinnamon pairs nice with pork medallions they will slice for you!

The service was great fun, watching Clarry and Dio slicing away with broadswords and they still have their fingers!

Such good foods, simply prepared and the staff makes it all special!

Interesting to read about the offerings. We have been at many Rodizios (what here is called Churrasqueria) and the main énfasis is definitely beef. Different beef cuts, all grilled. Chicken, sausages, lamb and pork are also offered. Nothing braised or Parmesan style...

We usually go to a Rodizio at lunch time. Too much to eat for the evening. 

Ivi