mykeb14

Bye bye libraries?

John has been asking a lot about the library on the ship lately... Do you think they are going to replace them? If so what do you think they will replace them with?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think I recall someone in the know saying they will become coffee shops, and the current coffee counters will be repurposed.

John has been asking a lot about the library on the ship lately... Do you think they are going to replace them? If so what do you think they will replace them with?

Good it's a wasted space.

Oh...that makes this current librarian/previous English teacher very sad. I too noticed that JH was asking a bunch of questions about the libraries. There were many responses of folks who genuinely enjoyed the quiet escape, the selection of books, playing games, and the conversations with other readers. But there were also replies that were eyebrow raising, such as the one who said, “I don’t cruise to get smarter, I just want to have fun.” Just sad...that there are some who associate “reading” with “being smart” and “not fun”..which is a ridiculous notion and perpetuates a fallacy regarding the art of reading....(as I quietly step down from my soapbox)

And one more thing...It is the height of hypocrisy to celebrate a reading pioneer (Dr. Seuss breakfast & parade) and at the same time consider getting rid of the libraries.

We can be sure when the brand ambassador asks if we like something it will be history shortly thereafter. ;)

I've been in a ship library once. That was when we had to meet there to go on our "Behind the Fun" tour. I've seen them just not interested in them. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they re-purposed them but I know there are a few people who do like them.

Good it's a wasted space.

Uh, no it’s not. My husband and I use that space when we cruise, and we always see other people using it too. Just because you don’t use the space doesn’t mean it’s wasted.

Library is not a money maker.

very good observation, i mean it. They are always looking for ways to increase their profits. For those who like quiet and to play games or read, I've heard of people finding bars that werent open and using that quiet space. But you have to bring your own games (deck of cards?) or books. Not sure if Carnival allows closed bars to be used that way, but it is a possible alternative.

very good observation, i mean it. They are always looking for ways to increase their profits. For those who like quiet and to play games or read, I've heard of people finding bars that werent open and using that quiet space. But you have to bring your own games (deck of cards?) or books. Not sure if Carnival allows closed bars to be used that way, but it is a possible alternative.

Would be very sorry to see it go. Very often take out books and leave books we brought behind

We can be sure when the brand ambassador asks if we like something it will be history shortly thereafter. ;)

that would be very sad and yet another reason to cruise elsewhee

Make it a dual purpose room. Library by day, ESCAPE ROOM by night. I love escape rooms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Library is not a money maker.

Bingo.

I like the libraries. I take my own books to read on cruises (I go to our public library the week before and check a few out), but I like going in there to play board games or just sit somewhere quiet and air conditioned to read.

Make it a dual purpose room. Library by day, ESCAPE ROOM by night. I love escape rooms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

That’s a great idea!’n

Save the libraries !!! Or at least mix it w/ internet quiet space. There are still many of us that enjoy books and cruising.

Bean counters can mess up anything.

Aren't some libraries on a few ships now libraries/bars? Great place for a wine bar, with better quality wines than the typical...

I love the library too and read a lot on cruises. With that said I do not use the library a lot, opting for reading on the outside decks on level 3 right outside of guest services and the excursions desk. I would not mind if they repurposed the rooms, maybe expanded them and made them into a lounge of sorts, with the option to buy drinks , like a wine bar . I know the breeze has wine dispensers in their library. Maybe if there were a library that was open to the outside with oversized chairs, hammocks, etc. a combination hangout place for times where you are not in the party mood but in relaxation mood. Add some glass walls of windows or something to open it up. I love libraries though, even on cruise ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Uh, no it’s not. My husband and I use that space when we cruise, and we always see other people using it too. Just because you don’t use the space doesn’t mean it’s wasted.

I agree. Folks attend A.A. meetings here too :D.

It's a shame! Some still enjoy the libraries. :(

I definitely enjoy them, I read five books this cruise and didn't bring any with me!

I just thought of something... on the fantasy class ships it’s where they have the chefs table... where would they move that?

On our Breeze cruise our group spent a whole evening in the Library playing Cards Against Humanity. One of our best nights on the cruise. With the self serve wine dispensers, they can make money there as well. Add a self-serve beer station to provide more variety.

the library-where my DH finds his quiet time, more so than a serenity deck that isn't serene when enough drinks are served. The library, where one can sit and play candyland while waiting to be buzzed in for your anytime dining. The library, where the chef's table is held, meet and greets meet, behind the fun tours start.

I have tried to get into the bars when they are closed in the day time, they are where they store the "art" for the art auctions-so that's a no. I am hoping they don't become another place to gather funds from the cruisers. I enjoy the space for what it is, a quiet place to watch the sea slide by.

A good place to offer an English Tea. With finger sandwiches and tiny cakes. Folks can still read and enjoy games.

I am hoping they don't become another place to gather funds from the cruisers. I enjoy the space for what it is, a quiet place to watch the sea slide by.

I agree but I suspect Carnival wants to re-purpose the libraries as suites or sleeping cabins to drive revenue rather than as a public venue.

I agree but I suspect Carnival wants to re-purpose the libraries as suites or sleeping cabins to drive revenue rather than as a public venue.

A suite next to the midship dining room?

Since I bring my Kindle, I don't use any books from the library. My husband nor I are board game players so we don't do that, either. However, on some ships we've found the library to be a great alternative to a bar with regard to finding a place away from the crowd where we can sit and read or relax. If these areas are turned into crowd producers, that'll be too bad. I'll miss the libraries of old.

When I go on a cruise I want to be outside enjoying the ocean not sitting in a room. I do my reading where I can hear the ocean and look up and stare at it for a few minutes. So losing the libraries is not a big deal for me.

On all the cruises I have been on over the years, I think I have seen 2 people ever in them. I would think that these could be used for something better than a coffee shop. I mean I like coffee, but....

Most major bookstores now have coffee bars and reading lounges. Repurposing the Library to keep the games and books while adding in the coffee bar would satisfy both the revenue generating element and those that enjoy that space. Of course, the space has to be large enough to begin with to handle it.

I wouldn't mind them repurposing them as the Shake Spot on all of the ships.

I love reading but am not interested in reading in the library on the ship. I'd rather read while laying out on the serenity deck or something.

Since I bring my Kindle, I don't use any books from the library. My husband nor I are board game players so we don't do that, either. However, on some ships we've found the library to be a great alternative to a bar with regard to finding a place away from the crowd where we can sit and read or relax. If these areas are turned into crowd producers, that'll be too bad. I'll miss the libraries of old.

I bring my Kindle as well but, often use the library for a quiet place to read or play cards with DH. Shame it looks like it is on it's way out. :loudcry:

I am a retired library director and bring our books on cruises from our local public library, so we do not use the ship libraries. However, I do notice many people of all ages using the libraries to play games, read, and just enjoy the peace and quiet. Public libraries are more popular than ever with increasing usage statistics and only those who never enter them are the ones who say no one uses them. It would be a shame to lose the ship libraries as there are so few places onboard where people can go to relax in a quiet place outside of their cabins. Parents need to be encouraging their children to read books, not just play on computers.

We may be in the minority but we've enjoyed the library on every ship we've been on. No, we don't spend hours there, but enjoy some time there. One of the nicest was on a HAL ship. I will mourn the loss.

Aren't some libraries on a few ships now libraries/bars? Great place for a wine bar, with better quality wines than the typical...

Yes, Breeze, Vista, Sunshine and Horizon have "wine bars", or at least wine dispensers in the libraries. I think all have the automated wine dispenser, and a couple have a wine bar that is periodically staffed by a crew member.