Host Sharon

P&O drinks prices and packages

Does P & O not have Beer & Drink package... ? Its looks like its only soft drink and wine packages?

No, unfortunately they don't. It's as you say just soft drinks and wine. Although compared to the American Cruise lines the drink prices are very reasonable.

Posted (edited)

Okay thanks... then i will choose RCCL , its important to me that everything is paid upfront. And I know that I don't get a bill after the cruise.

I think many would prefer a beverage package so they don't have to worry about that.

Thanks again!

Edited by Krydstosser

Okay thanks... then i will choose RCCL , its important to me that everything is paid upfront. And I know that I don't get a bill after the cruise.

I think many would prefer a beverage package so they don't have to worry about that.

Thanks again!

I would prefer to have a drinks package but I'm not sure that many on the P&O forum would agree.

Thanks again!

The drinks package on RCI works out much more expensive than paying as you go on P & O in my opinion........we like beer, wine and cocktails and gin and tonic lol :)

The drinks package on RCI works out much more expensive than paying as you go on P & O in my opinion........we like beer, wine and cocktails and gin and tonic lol :)

I agree. :D

We have watched fellow passengers all but ruin their cruise in an effort to consume as much alcohol as their pre purchased package allowed. We find that having cocktails, etc., only if and when we desire it is not only substantially less costly but better for the overall enjoyment of the cruise. Our first P&O cruise was notably absent of over indulgence and it's aftermath which is but one of the reason we wish to return.

We have watched fellow passengers all but ruin their cruise in an effort to consume as much alcohol as their pre purchased package allowed. We find that having cocktails, etc., only if and when we desire it is not only substantially less costly but better for the overall enjoyment of the cruise. Our first P&O cruise was notably absent of over indulgence and it's aftermath which is but one of the reason we wish to return.

We have been on 4 RCCL, 1 Carnival, 1 NCL all with Drink packages and never seen this as a problem on those ships.... no drunk people.

We have been on 4 RCCL, 1 Carnival, 1 NCL all with Drink packages and never seen this as a problem on those ships.... no drunk people.

Even though we may be referring to a larger cruise experience, we have to ask, were your cruises departing from US ports?

I prefer to pay for my drinks, even if you get a free drinks package on RCCL the price is on the cruise if you have to pay for drink package you have to be a big drinker to get money’s worth, last yeR I think it was 69dollars a day, P&O drinks are a lot cheaper which I like

I would, P&O need to move into the modern era

I would prefer to have a drinks package but I'm not sure that many on the P&O forum would agree.

I prefer not to have a drinks package. I enjoy a beer lunchtime, glass of wine with my evening meal with perhaps a cocktail before and a beer in the evening. I would never get value from a package. I also like that P&O don't have a package... I believe it encourages over indulgence and that can spoil it not only for themselves but also for others around them. Good on P&O for not giving in to pressure to introduce an alcohol package.

I prefer not to have a drinks package. I enjoy a beer lunchtime, glass of wine with my evening meal with perhaps a cocktail before and a beer in the evening. I would never get value from a package. I also like that P&O don't have a package... I believe it encourages over indulgence and that can spoil it not only for themselves but also for others around them. Good on P&O for not giving in to pressure to introduce an alcohol package.

Based on alcohol packages we have seen, one must over indulge in order to achieve value. An odd incentive that may well ruin a very costly cruise.

Its not just about booze, its soft drinks, fresh juices, coffees and mocktails. About 7 alcoholic drinks a day covers the cost with these included.

Thanks again!

For your P&O drinks package may I suggest that if pre payment is that important to you, then put the price of your 'package' into your onboard account and should you have any left over you can treat yourself . If you do go over your pre payment then the moral of the story is to get a package.

Just a thought ........

For your P&O drinks package may I suggest that if pre payment is that important to you, then put the price of your 'package' into your onboard account and should you have any left over you can treat yourself . If you do go over your pre payment then the moral of the story is to get a package.

Just a thought ........

An excellent suggestion. Note that package plans on other lines require that each passenger in the cabin must have a duplicate package plan. This is to prevent sharing. But with the deposit plan you are drawing from the pooled account where sharing is it's purpose and savings a possible result. :wine-glass::cocktail:

In Canada such plans are referred to "Lay-Away" plans which considering the subject matter might be seen as apropos. :D

So how much should you budget for - couple of beers, cocktail, couple of glasses of wine and night cap?

If you follow the link and scroll right down there is a very comprehensive price list from a few years ago ........

http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/698-po-cruises-alcohol-policy-drink-prices

Maybe someone can find a more up to date one, but not sure its changed that much ........ hopefully! :tropical-drink::beer-mug::champagne-toast::bottle-pop::whiskey-glass:

Thanks for this it’s really helpful. I guess I was wondering whether buying a wine package makes sense. Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks. How does that work? I thought any left over wine was stored for the next time you went to the restaurant? You seem to be suggesting that the wine wait or tops th3 glass up?

Exactly right on all accounts. You can of course say no to the topup and have it the following evening but we found there was never anything left over! :o :wine-glass:

We've had drinks packages included when on Celebrity. Saves all the bother of signing for everything.

Thanks. I had a package on Royal Caribbean which is my only cruise so far. It seems to me to be a lot simpler than navigating what P&O are offering

Exactly right on all accounts. You can of course say no to the topup and have it the following evening but we found there was never anything left over! :o :wine-glass:

Thanks for the advice. I usually find nothing left over as well lol By the way I like your signature. Sounds like my life lol

Definitely. If you buy the wine package of x number of bottles, do you leave it with them, keep it in your cabin, or what?? If they hold it and you decide you'd like to have a glass or two in your room, do you have to go and fetch it???

Definitely. If you buy the wine package of x number of bottles, do you leave it with them, keep it in your cabin, or what?? If they hold it and you decide you'd like to have a glass or two in your room, do you have to go and fetch it???

Yes. I imagine it’s so that you leave wine in restaurant and then have to buy more to use in the room or elsewhere. The wine waiter may be generous as Pippa says but I would rather have the choice rather than leaving it to chance on how good your waiter is! Sounds to me that P&O are exploiting customers to me!

I am not poorly off but I Like to budget in advance on holiday. Seems that P&O may not have caught up with real life yet!

According to my countdown clock it’s 158 days to sailing. Can’t wait.

So here is a question to think about - given the itinerary what is the place you are most looking forward to visiting and why?

We've had drinks packages included when on Celebrity. Saves all the bother of signing for everything.

Drinks packages are fine if you drink regularly but we had "free" drinks package on Celebrity and for us it was a complete waste. One glass of wine with dinner each evening, the occasional speciality coffee (which we only bothered to have because they were included in the package), :)one pint of lager for my husband and bottle of sparkling water for me each evening are probably lower than the cost of buying a drinks package if we had to pay for it. Nothing in life is free so in my opinion everyone on Celebrity ship is actually paying for the package regardless of how much or little they drink. Non-drinkers or low level drinkers are probably subsidising those who go over the top.

We had the drinks package as our Free At Sea incentive on NCL last year. Much better value than the Free WiFi or Free Speciality Restaurant options and we loved the freedom of not having to worry about our onboard account which finished up being just $80 for 10 days! Looking out for whales at sail away from each port, Magaritas in hand, whatever we wanted all evening, made for a very relaxed holiday and we tried lots of things we'd never have ordered had we been paying per drink. Tipsy but not drunk at any point. Great holiday!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

That’s the way I feel about it. I have done the maths and think as a moderate holiday drinker a package makes sense, especially in you include soft drinks in that. I prefer to budget everything in advance then not have to even consider what I spend while I am away.

So question for seasoned cruisers - apart from the lovely Caribbean, this is by way of a retirement cruise for me after 48 years of work (well I am not retiring completely), if you were in my position on this cruise what would be your must do?

Drinks packages are fine if you drink regularly but we had "free" drinks package on Celebrity and for us it was a complete waste. One glass of wine with dinner each evening, the occasional speciality coffee (which we only bothered to have because they were included in the package), :)one pint of lager for my husband and bottle of sparkling water for me each evening are probably lower than the cost of buying a drinks package if we had to pay for it. Nothing in life is free so in my opinion everyone on Celebrity ship is actually paying for the package regardless of how much or little they drink. Non-drinkers or low level drinkers are probably subsidising those who go over the top.

I agree, nothing in life is free, but with Celebrity sometimes the cruises with drinks packages are comparable with the P&O ones without. We are doing a Celebrity Baltic cruise with Balcony, Drinks and tips paid for 2150. On the same day a P&O Baltic with Balcony no drinks and no tips was 2300. You just have to pick and choose when.

I wish P&O did drinks packages, nice to know your costs upfront.

Is the latest price for 12 bottle wine package £239 for Connoisseur and £203 for Captain collection? Can't find a later one than 2017 on the P&O site.

Also if we get lumped on anytime dining and don't finish a bottle (rarity I accept) will the waiters locate our bottle if we are at the other end of the restaurant the next night?

Is the latest price for 12 bottle wine package £239 for Connoisseur and £203 for Captain collection? Can't find a later one than 2017 on the P&O site.

Also if we get lumped on anytime dining and don't finish a bottle (rarity I accept) will the waiters locate our bottle if we are at the other end of the restaurant the next night?

Yes, they give you a card with details of the unfinished wine, so if you present this to your wine waiter he can retrieve the bottle. You can also do this in a completely different restaurant on board, presemably the bottles are held in a central location.

I know I am just being lazy as I guess this infor will be somewhere but if you buy a wine package

1, can you buy it before you get on board?

2, if it is europe is VAT added

3, is there a service charge added.

I ask as on other lines if you buy a drinks package before boarding there is

no gratuity but if you buy on board there is.

I am a P&O newbie so all I have to go on is my reading up.

1. Yes with your personaliser when you pay your balance

2. Not that I can see. It’s included in the cost

3. No. Any service charge is included in the cost charged to your room ( unless you opt out).

I am happy to be refuted by more experienced cruisers?

By the way just so everyone knows I think P&O are ripping us off and have not moved with the times

RCCL and Celbraty drinks packages are expensive and if you get in the price of the holiday normally the price as been put on, and you have to be guide a heavy drinker to make it pay, I would far rather pay P&O prices as I go

I know I am just being lazy as I guess this infor will be somewhere but if you buy a wine package

1, can you buy it before you get on board?

2, if it is europe is VAT added

3, is there a service charge added.

I ask as on other lines if you buy a drinks package before boarding there is

no gratuity but if you buy on board there is.

Any beverage package we’ve purchased online before boarding has had gratuity added to the baseline price.

RCCL and Celbraty drinks packages are expensive and if you get in the price of the holiday normally the price as been put on, and you have to be guide a heavy drinker to make it pay, I would far rather pay P&O prices as I go
I disagree, and this is a misconception and common accusation made against those who purchase a beverage package. Due to the high prices of beverages on Celebrity and RCI it doesn’t take much to ‘break even’ when you consider the consumption of non alcoholic drinks in addition to alcoholic ones. Nor does it mean you have to be a heavy drinker.

Due to a pre cruise sale, we recently only paid the equivalent of $49 per person per day (including gratuity). So, 1 fresh squeezed orange juice, 2 latte coffees, 2 bottles of water, 2 soft drinks (cola or similar) that’s already around $30, so add a pre dinner G&T, 2 glasses of wine at dinner and 1 post dinner drink and if paying separately you’d add on average another $40+ to your non alcoholic bar tab. So it doesn’t need much to ‘break even’, even consuming non alcoholic beverages.