Host Sharon

P&O drinks prices and packages

At last someone who makes sense. Thanks for your post as it’s really helpful. My feeling was that people are treating alcohol, soft drinks and coffee etc as separate items when considering a drinks package and not linked like they are on Royal Caribbean etc. When you add the total cost it shows how much P&O are making from their customers

We've done a couple of "all inclusive" cruises with Princess and found that the drink packages were marginal in value. Being an American company each individual drink had an additional 20% added on whereas the drink package didn't. Being a whisky drinker I was able to sample a decent choice of Malt whisky and Bourban that I would probably not have tasted if I was paying for it individually. It also meant if there was a cocktail you didn't like simply order a different one. We also had speciality coffees and hot chocolate each day so over two weeks we probably were slightly out of pocket on the package but at least had the fun of trying different things.

Perhaps P&O need to look at this and offer drinks packages on top of basic pricing allowing their customers to select the correct deal for them depending on what they do or don't drink.

That’s my feeling too. I am not necessarily keen on all inclusive packages but more choice and mix and match packages is the norm elsewhere now. It’s about having the opportunity to sample drinks that perhaps not your normal tipple while still feeling that you are in control of your budget. My view is that this is more to do with P&O extracting every penny they can from customers rather than providing enhanced services to their guests

What nobody has mentioned, you are allowed to carry your own bottles on with P&O, only for your cabin use. Just finished NCL cruise and the beverage package is getting tighter, Hendricks not included now, however you can pay the difference after $15, also removed NZ savingion by the glass

Thanks. I am new to P&O and everything I have read , both from P&O and through Forums like this is that they do not allow wine to be brought on board after the initial port ( and that’s limited to a litre bottle each). The message is that they put alll hand luggage and bags through security checks and confiscate alcohol which you are given back on final exit?

No problem. I thought I might have misunderstood what the position is. Sounds like the previous position for P&O was much better than what they now have in place

Can anyone point me in the direction of the latest bar menus with prices? I can find the menus on P&O's own site but unfortunately they are missing the prices.

I have read on facebook somewhere that they are trialing drinks packages on Azura next week. The person did a screenshot of the message from P & O not sure how true this is.

There is a discussion on this subject in the "Taking Alcohol on Board" thread, where you will see that people have been given conflicting information.

Thanks. I am new to P&O and everything I have read , both from P&O and through Forums like this is that they do not allow wine to be brought on board after the initial port ( and that’s limited to a litre bottle each). The message is that they put alll hand luggage and bags through security checks and confiscate alcohol which you are given back on final exit?

Yes, that's right. 1L alcohol per person, we took Bacardi, for cabin use only. Anything you subsequently buy will be stored for collection at the end of your cruise.

Yes, they give you a card with details of the unfinished wine, so if you present this to your wine waiter he can retrieve the bottle. You can also do this in a completely different restaurant on board, presemably the bottles are held in a central location.

if we know where we are dining the following night , we tell the wine waiter, and the wine is in that location the following night.

A drinks package being tried out on one one ship next week. It will be to purchase once you are onboard. One assumes Pando have a break even point as to how many they have to sell to make it financially worth it. Although all those posting on FB would like it being priced at about £25 pppd, I think they will price it nearer what the US lines charge. Pando will expect to make a profit on it, its a business. How many will take it up..well they are trying it on a big ship that probably has a younger age demographic. Whether they could sell the same % if it went fleet wide on the likes of Arcadia or Aurora remains to be seen. I wouldn't get excited until they decide after the trial what they will do about it.

At the moment its just 1 ltr per person on boarding. However others have posted on social media about taking more than that in hand and large luggage. Others have posted on social media about taking alcohol on board from ports of call, and not having it taken off them, others have had it taken. I think Pando are adopting a softly softly approach at the moment. They will know if increased amounts are being taken . If this increases , and they go down the path of packages fleetwide I think one could safely say they will not allow you to take any onboard.

So how much should you budget for - couple of beers, cocktail, couple of glasses of wine and night cap?

Not much more than £30 per day for the above on P& O. Pint of Fosters £4.10, Peroni £4.75, wine about £5, cocktails £6-7, have paid more on land.

the trialled drinks package will be £39.95 per person and both in the cabin must take it.details are on the faq new drinks package trial

all

A drinks package being tried out on one one ship next week. It will be to purchase once you are onboard. One assumes Pando have a break even point as to how many they have to sell to make it financially worth it. Although all those posting on FB would like it being priced at about £25 pppd, I think they will price it nearer what the US lines charge. Pando will expect to make a profit on it, its a business. How many will take it up..well they are trying it on a big ship that probably has a younger age demographic. Whether they could sell the same % if it went fleet wide on the likes of Arcadia or Aurora remains to be seen. I wouldn't get excited until they decide after the trial what they will do about it.

At the moment its just 1 ltr per person on boarding. However others have posted on social media about taking more than that in hand and large luggage. Others have posted on social media about taking alcohol on board from ports of call, and not having it taken off them, others have had it taken. I think Pando are adopting a softly softly approach at the moment. They will know if increased amounts are being taken . If this increases , and they go down the path of packages fleetwide I think one could safely say they will not allow you to take any onboard.

the trialled drinks package will be £39.95 per person and both in the cabin must take it.details are on the faq new drinks package trial

all

Wow bearing in mind how reasonable the bar prices are £39.95 pppd Is steep and they are taking RCCL idea that all adults in the cabin must take it.

That is an awesome number of drinks between you to even break even.

I wonder if they will have a £ limit per drink too like RC.

[

NEW Drinks Packages Pilot

A range of new drinks packages will be piloted on Azura from 21 July 2018. Please see below for details. Please note these packages are not pre-bookable and can only be booked once on board.

Drinks packages

The Ultimate drinks package

Hot drinks package

Non-alcoholic package

Children's drinks packagequote=grapau27;56515236]Wow bearing in mind how reasonable the bar prices are £39.95 pppd Is steep and they are taking RCCL idea that all adults in the cabin must take it.

That is an awesome number of drinks between you to even break even.

I wonder if they will have a £ limit per drink too like RC.

yep - only up to 6 pound odd a drink and single measures only and also one drink per order and one drink every 15 mins lol

Wonder if they'll do away with the Costa card?

So all we need to know now is if the drinks prices will remain where they are at the moment or if they will be increased to make it good value to take out the drinks package. We are going on Ventura next January for 28 nights. We both drink a fair amount but to spend £2237.20 (that's £39.93 x 2 x 28) is quite frankly ridiculous. If the prices are increased so much that this seems reasonable then we shall cancel our cruise.

Peter and Jenny

So all we need to know now is if the drinks prices will remain where they are at the moment or if they will be increased to make it good value to take out the drinks package. We are going on Ventura next January for 28 nights. We both drink a fair amount but to spend £2237.20 (that's £39.93 x 2 x 28) is quite frankly ridiculous. If the prices are increased so much that this seems reasonable then we shall cancel our cruise.

Peter and Jenny

We have a short cruise on Ventura next month and I drink the Old Speckled hen and my wife has a glass of Prosecco or Pinot Grigio so I will post their prices when on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
The wine package should include all alcoholic drinks up to an agreed £ amount

The wine package should include all alcoholic drinks up to an agreed £ amount

The current wine package available on all P&O ships is a package bought of wine by the bottle served usually at dinner and does not include any other alcoholic drinks. The Ultimate drinks package being trialled only on Azura next week does not include bottles of wine only wine by the glass any wine by the bottle will have to be purchased but if you have drinks package you will get 20% discount.

The current wine package available on all P&O ships is a package bought of wine by the bottle served usually at dinner and does not include any other alcoholic drinks. The Ultimate drinks package being trialled only on Azura next week does not include bottles of wine only wine by the glass any wine by the bottle will have to be purchased but if you have drinks package you will get 20% discount.
I normally drink the Old Speckled Hen.

RC drinks packages are per glass with 40% discount off bottles of wine.

Thanks for clarifying but buying drinks packages have never interesting us.

I was looking to buy the soft drinks package just for myself as other half would never make full use of it but I see that they won’t allow that. So, although I know you can’t take alcohol back onboard after port days but does this also apply to soft drinks i.e coke, lemonade etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our daughter wants to give us a wine package for Christmas. How would she go about that. We are cruising over Christmas.

I was looking to buy the soft drinks package just for myself as other half would never make full use of it but I see that they won’t allow that. So, although I know you can’t take alcohol back onboard after port days but does this also apply to soft drinks i.e coke, lemonade etc.?

There is no limits on soft drinks, water etc.

Just back off a Marella cruise (Thomson) we didn't book early as we normally do, they wanted £800 for two week package + £200 upgrade to premium drinks, there is no way we would drink that much and without the premium upgrade I would have to pay supplements to get a decent drink. Marrella are going totally all inclusive across the fleet next year. Personally would rather have the choice, hope P and O stay as they are.

Just back off a Marella cruise (Thomson) we didn't book early as we normally do, they wanted £800 for two week package + £200 upgrade to premium drinks, there is no way we would drink that much and without the premium upgrade I would have to pay supplements to get a decent drink. Marrella are going totally all inclusive across the fleet next year. Personally would rather have the choice, hope P and O stay as they are.

One other issue is getting served in some bars when it is really busy due to waiter shortage, there is never a problem when they are making a sale!

Sounds like a bargain to me 14 day cruise including flights drinks transfers and gratuities for £1000?

Grats on p&O would be around £98 so that is half your drinks upgrade?

Sounds like a bargain to me 14 day cruise including flights drinks transfers and gratuities for £1000?

Grats on p&O would be around £98 so that is half your drinks upgrade?

Just to be factually correct unlike most other cruise lines gratuities are currently optional on P&O and have been the cause of many a heated debate in the forums.:cool: