Worldtraveler 4727

Princess EZ Air Warning

For a 15 day land/sea cruise in Alaska this coming June, I booked EZ Air flights last fall, monitored them daily, re-booked twice for lower fares, then continued to watch the flights checking on them daily for further reductions. No further reductions showed up, and nothing changed on the flight portion of my personalizer on Princess—all flights remained the same. However, “something” made me plug my locator number into the DELTA website, and that’s when everything blew up. The flight to Alaska was now an hour earlier with a longer layover, but the worst part was that our return flights were no longer in synch. The flights all over lapped and did not line up at all. There were red exclamation marks all over the page and notices to contact Delta immediately. I did that, but was told since the flights were not yet ticketed, I needed to contact Princess/EZ Air. It took well over an hour on the phone with Princess and resulted in very satisfactory flights. However….

Two items of note here:

#1 I’m not sure what would have happened if I had not had the “feeling” to plug my reservation into the Delta website. The problem likely would have come to light at final payment, and then I’m sure it would have been much more difficult to find flights similar to the ones I had booked last fall

#2 When I asked what I could/should do to avoid something like this happening again, she said it seemed to her to be quite a fluke, but to be certain of your flights —since the airlines can and do change/cancel flights all the time—occasionally checking your reservation on the airlines’ website is good advice.

Finally, If Princess is indeed reading these boards—kudos to Ophelia, the Princess rep who worked so very hard for me to resolve this issue. Thank you Princess and Ophelia!

Thanks for the posting. We use EZair all the time these days and I always check my air reservation on the airline's webpage for problems like you cited. Your experience needs to be put in bold letters: ALWAYS CHECK YOUR FLIGHT RESERVATIONS ON THE AIRLINE'S WEBPAGE! While we have not had the experience the OP has had, our time is probably coming.

You may be missing the fact that this could all happen again before your Final Payment. Keep monitoring your flights.

Personally, I would never use cruise line air for domestic travel.

BTW, this is not specific to EZair....it is specific to the way that all airlines are currently managing their fleets and schedules.

This exact problem happened to us on our Alaska cruise tour last June. Our departure flights were fine but the return was just like yours. I rec'd no email notice and called Delta. I was also referred to EZ Air/Princess. It took several phone calls and lots of time on hold, but we were booked on another airline on return and worked out well. Like you, I wondered what would have happened had I not checked the flights.

2 years ago on a West bound TA our return flight from FLL-LAX was cancelled while we were at sea, 3 days out, and only was notified when we tried to sign up for the baggage service upon docking. Delta blamed Princess EZ Air and Princess blamed Delta, we were finally given seats on our original flight but were not seated together, I gave up my Premium Economy to sit by my wife in Economy and the lady almost didn't take it. Delta seems to be the one that has the most issues, just saying.

We booked our flights direct with Alitalia for our cruise out of Rome this August. The flights (business class non refundable) are non stop from Toronto to Rome. Price was $3157CDNper passenger, Princess EZ Air is currently offering the same flights for $6309 per passenger. Always check flight prices online, I used Expedia for final booking. Had an Alitalia representative reserve our seats.

One should always check flights on the airlines web site if booked a long time in advance .This is not just for EZ Air flights but for flights booked in any manner even directly from the airline. Sometimes you get notified about changes and sometimes the computer doesn't notify you.

I was actually very impressed yesterday when I got an email from EZ Air telling me my flights(that aren't ticketed yet) for next December had changed times.

I went to the AA web site to see and indeed the flight times now were even better than when I booked.

Always check regularly !!

Thank you for posting, while I have cruised more RCCL then Princess, when booking any flights whether through the Cruise line or on your own, it is wise to check you flights through the airlines regularly. I have also added to be notified of any changes on the airline web site.

Believe me, it is NO fluke! I had the same thing happen but for mine, the flight was completely cancelled! I had no warning from Princess (did not expect warning from the airline since it wasn't ticketed yet). They automatically put me on a flight that was 90 minutes too early on disembarkation day. I would've never made that flight! I had to completely change air carriers and pay more for the new ticket. Argh! :mad: It really pays to monitor these things on your own.

When we book EZ air with Princess there is ALWAYS a notice that comes up that tells us that we are responsible for checking the airlines website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we book EZ air with Princess there is ALWAYS a notice that comes up that tells us that we are responsible for checking the airlines website.

Sorry I missed that notice.

Perhaps the notices are airline specific? We have exclusively used EZAir for United. As flight changes have occurred, we see the "Travel Arrangements" turn red while in the Cruise Personalizer and there are further warnings when we click on that link. The last couple of times our TA has forwarded a notice from Princess as well indicating that the flights times have changed. So there's lots of layers of protection, at least when it comes to United / Princess.

As for cost, there are some crazy low fares right now for some of the routes. For example, we were able to book flights for our January cruise to Singapore this week. United wanted over $1,000 round trip from Phoenix but for the same flights, EZAir was $740. Our friends are on the same cruise traveling from Chicago. Their round trip fare on United using EZAir was $570 per person.

It always pays to check multiple sources when booking airfare for a cruise, and also to check frequently for possible changes in flights or outright cancellations.

We booked our flights direct with Alitalia for our cruise out of Rome this August. The flights (business class non refundable) are non stop from Toronto to Rome. Price was $3157CDNper passenger, Princess EZ Air is currently offering the same flights for $6309 per passenger. Always check flight prices online, I used Expedia for final booking. Had an Alitalia representative reserve our seats.

That seems really high. We used EZ Air last year round trip to Barcelona from Seattle. Business class was $2350 pp US. This July we are using EZ Air for our cruise out of London. Business class is $2415 pp. To top it off these were flexible fares that could be changed or canceled up to 45 days in advance.

I am using EZ Air for the first time and didn't notice the notice either.

Perhaps the notices are airline specific? We have exclusively used EZAir for United. As flight changes have occurred, we see the "Travel Arrangements" turn red while in the Cruise Personalizer and there are further warnings when we click on that link. The last couple of times our TA has forwarded a notice from Princess as well indicating that the flights times have changed. So there's lots of layers of protection, at least when it comes to United / Princess.

I am using United also and really have missed it. I have checked the airlines website though. I am flying for $2700 Business Class, direct through United it is $8100.

You cannot miss the notice as it comes up and requires you to acknowledge the notice before you can proceed.

I'm guessing that many of us checked our flights again today; I know I did. Our incoming flights have all increased significantly. My cruise buddy's flight has decreased by about $25, but it is too late to do anything about that. Oh well.....

I just checked my EZ Air today after reading this post. I’ve had good experiences with Princess Air until this upcoming trip. A couple of weeks ago I was checking my air and even though I could see the air reservation in my cruise personalized and I paid for the air in January, it said my reservation had been canceled. When I called Princess they said my travel companion canceled the flights in October. I asked how that could be possible when I, the person who booked the trip, never received confirmation of such a change AND I paid for the flights 4 months after the reservation was canceled AND the reservation was still showing on my personalizer. Their only response was “Yeah, that is really strange.” So I agree. Check often.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is one of the reasons I don’t use EZ air. I don’t have the time to be checking airline websites all the time.

Tony

This is one of the reasons I don’t use EZ air. I don’t have the time to be checking airline websites all the time.

Tony

We find that using EZ air for Transatlantic cruises offer a significant savings that makes checking your airline website worth it. For instance....if we booked a one way flight from Europe after our Transatlantic this April 2018 on our own it was $2300. Using EZ air we were able to purchase the same flight on the same airline for $475. That was a no-brainer for us. I can check every week to make sure that all is well for that savings. It takes literally about 2 minutes....if that. It certainly is not a bother.

We have also used EZ air for domestic flights as well with savings over what we could get by booking directly with the airline.

what most surprises me is that any flight changes when I book ezair,. I receive an email. Just got one for a cruise in Oct. of this year that my flight home in Nov. got changed by ten minutes. hmmm

Tony

This is my first time and the savings is $$$$. It is an international flight.

I have been notified of one change through my TA. It didn't show up at first on the Princess site until I hit "change or modify" and then it showed up. Bizarre.

Booking through EZAir usually provides the lowest fares compared to airline websites. However, EZAir does not provide seat selection which can only be accomplished through the airline using the six-character reservation code. One should always check both EZAir and the airline periodically for updates/changes, and provide the airline with your contact information for changes. Interestingly, for an upcoming R/T flight to Australia from the US received three different reservation codes over a period of several weeks... The second one works with both EZAir and the airline! Always check.

Booking through EZAir usually provides the lowest fares compared to airline websites. However, EZAir does not provide seat selection which can only be accomplished through the airline using the six-character reservation code.

I am flying United to Europe and I can select my seats. I have even gone into United's website and they are blocked off.

Being one who has used EZair 3 times on international flights last year and having one booked for Alaska this year.....and yes, all had changes made by EZair and a few by me, except....a nonstop LAX to LHR...which was one awesome flexible fare.

Oh, I forgot the one to AUS...but no worries cause that is not until Sept 2018....and I have already changed it twice.

FLEXIBILTY IS THE NAME OF THE GAME, for me when booking with EZair..and with that comes the reality of flights changing....the same thing happens when you book far out with any non refundable flights, especially when booking ecomnomy. Because often airlines change flight schedules and times as the dates move closer.

Having 3 single children that have lived all over the world, states the last 8 years, and who use mom as the go to for booking air flights...believe me I really have had to stay on top of airlines...and of course want to save as much on flights as possible and use miles..EZair when introduced became a blessing to me....simply became of this flexibility.

Will continue on another thread......

Posted (edited)

Two items of note here:

#1 I’m not sure what would have happened if I had not had the “feeling” to plug my reservation into the Delta website. The problem likely would have come to light at final payment, and then I’m sure it would have been much more difficult to find flights similar to the ones I had booked last fall

#2 When I asked what I could/should do to avoid something like this happening again, she said it seemed to her to be quite a fluke, but to be certain of your flights —since the airlines can and do change/cancel flights all the time—occasionally checking your reservation on the airlines’ website is good advice.

Finally, If Princess is indeed reading these boards—kudos to Ophelia, the Princess rep who worked so very hard for me to resolve this issue. Thank you Princess and Ophelia!

And you said it yourself, if you might have not been monitoring,what would have happened?..... it could have resolved itself....and you would have never been the wiser.

Since, I am assuming you have not paid for the flight..it still has the possibility to change and even if you have paid, it still does....flights are moving targets................. best laid plans often get changed, we all know that, it is part of travel...just sayin'

With flying things seem to all work out......no, I am not naive.....I flew almost 2 times a month last year, all pleasure...all economy or economy+ on probably 10 different airlines......

My main concern is to arrive at my destination and get home safely...sometimes we can micromanage our trips to much.

EZair...gives us a price and flexibility 45 days out...booking direct with an airline gives us a price and no flexibility, except using a $200. dollar change fee per ticket on most lines......

I could tell you many stories, and I am sure many other frequent travelers could too.... about assurances from both cruise lines, independent tour companies and airlines...after you have spend many hours with them correcting a wrong, only to show up at the cruise terminal or check in desk at the airlines......and have all hell break loose again......but it all seems to work out....

Edited by land lover

Posted (edited)

Oops..I did it again.....just read my first post, meant to say will continue on another post, rather than thread and excuse all my other errors...typing to fast should proof and pay attention to red lines....before posting.....:D:rolleyes:

Also when I mentioned about EZair being a blessing, it was for me with my cruises, ..not kids flights.....

Edited by land lover

It’s definitely wise to cover your bases by checking the airline site and Princess frequently. What I’ve noticed is that the airline will display an alert right away, and Princess will take a day or 2 to display it.

We have flights booked on EZAir for FLL-LHR, the times have been changed a little a couple times and one flight was redone to another airline due to times constraints. we are almost at final payment and I have noticed the last leg of our return flight has moved to a shorter layover which includes clearing customs and security. I may have to call them since I haven't heard anything yet. Every other change we were notified by Delta first and then Princess.

On our flight home from Anchorage Alaska last year, our flight on Delta was changed - departing Seattle 3 hrs before we arrived there. We had purchased on our own (not EZ Air) and though the operator insisted when I called that I had gotten an email notification, I HAD NOT!!!! Thankfully, I'm a Obsessive Planner so was checking flights on a regular basis and 'found it'....otherwise I guess we would have arrived in Seattle to find we had missed our flight. ugh! I know to always check now. Lesson Learned!!!!

Now....THAT phone call to Delta was a fun way to spend 15 minutes. I began with the question of "How do I leave Seattle 3 hrs before I arrive there?" I then sat silently while the operator tried to come up with an answer...... :confused::confused: Yep...Fun!!! :)

I had spent so much time diligently choosing a flight that 'worked' for us (layovers, etc...) so I was not easily satisfied with the options I was offered.... (flying from Dallas to Atlanta to Vancouver....RIDICULOUS!!!) I ended up requesting a refund and bought tickets on American. The only change we had on that flight was a 5 min. time difference....and of course, other issues which I won't go into here...but anyway....

Flying always seems to add a stress factor to any vacation...ugh!!

Thank you for your post! I am using EZ Air and after reading your post I checked directly on Delta's website only to find Delta had changed our return business flight to a different carrier in economy, at the same fare. I contacted Princess and they contacted Delta to find that Delta had changed the outbound due to their schedule changes. Princess was able to find us business class out bound from Barcelona at an addition $100.00pp more, while not happy it still is less expensive than booking directly with the airline. The lowest I could find was $8,000.00pp. Which is 6K more than EzAir. Plus I have not paid in full, so it's nice to be able to hold a reservation with only a deposit, and get air fare to Europe. Booking directly with an airline I would have had to pay in full upfront and still be at their mercy if the airline changes my flights. At least for now I can continue to monitor fares up until final payment day.

Thank you for your post! I am using EZ Air and after reading your post I checked directly on Delta's website only to find Delta had changed our return business flight to a different carrier in economy, at the same fare. I contacted Princess and they contacted Delta to find that Delta had changed the outbound due to their schedule changes. Princess was able to find us business class out bound from Barcelona at an addition $100.00pp more, while not happy it still is less expensive than booking directly with the airline. The lowest I could find was $8,000.00pp. Which is 6K more than EzAir. Plus I have not paid in full, so it's nice to be able to hold a reservation with only a deposit, and get air fare to Europe. Booking directly with an airline I would have had to pay in full upfront and still be at their mercy if the airline changes my flights. At least for now I can continue to monitor fares up until final payment day.

I am so glad my post helped you divert disaster! :D And I agree EZ Air is a great option.

On our flight home from Anchorage Alaska last year, our flight on Delta was changed - departing Seattle 3 hrs before we arrived there. We had purchased on our own (not EZ Air) and though the operator insisted when I called that I had gotten an email notification, I HAD NOT!!!! Thankfully, I'm a Obsessive Planner so was checking flights on a regular basis and 'found it'....otherwise I guess we would have arrived in Seattle to find we had missed our flight. ugh! I know to always check now. Lesson Learned!!!!

Had the same happen to us flying from Florida to Quebec City for a Fall Foliage cruise. Months after scheduling - we try to schedule cruises and flights as early as possible - United came back and rerouted us with three stops, one of which was before the previous flight arrived. Shouldn't be possible in today's electronic environment, but they did. I called and asked the same question. Silence. Finally they gave us a new itinerary, but one requiring an overnight stay at Newark. Always check. And always check pricing with partner airlines. That flight on the same airplane might be less expensive if purchased through a code share airline.

The past two years we have had changes on every flight we have booked - direct and with EZAir. We always have received emails from Princess and have had the bold Red printing showing on our personalizer.

I always book our flights with EZAIR the day they open and like others have said, domestic prices are usually higher than going directly to the airlines. The past several times, our flights were no longer showing up after two months. So glad we had them.

I am the OP and just checked my flights on the Delta site again. Yep--outbound has changed times, and there was no notice to me from Delta or Princess, and my personalizer does NOT show the change.

I am going to have to be vigilant in checking. My TA had not received any notifications either. She was shocked (her words) to see these changes occurring without notifications.

Folks,

I had a similar problem with United. Three days after we booked our flight with Princess EZ-Air, I checked with United web site to find that our "United Confirmation number" was deleted. United advised me that if the actual ticketing did not take place, the "United" confirmation is deleted.

As we were concerned about our seating arrangements on an international flight we choose to use the Princess EZ-Air Early Payment Form to get our tickets and seating before the 45 day period that Princess uses. However, if you should use the form, you will loose the flexibility of making changes through Princess. In our case we paid a few months early, got our tickets paid by Princess to United, then selected our seats. It worked out for us. Check their web site or just call Princess to get the form.

Folks,

I had a similar problem with United. Three days after we booked our flight with Princess EZ-Air, I checked with United web site to find that our "United Confirmation number" was deleted. United advised me that if the actual ticketing did not take place, the "United" confirmation is deleted.

As we were concerned about our seating arrangements on an international flight we choose to use the Princess EZ-Air Early Payment Form to get our tickets and seating before the 45 day period that Princess uses. However, if you should use the form, you will loose the flexibility of making changes through Princess. In our case we paid a few months early, got our tickets paid by Princess to United, then selected our seats. It worked out for us. Check their web site or just call Princess to get the form.

Mine disappeared also but my seats are blocked off. So I am not worrying.

I was able to select my seats when I booked the cruise and they are still shown as unavailable.

Folks,

kjg

How long ago was this? When I called to ask about getting the form to pay early, the rep said they don't use the form anymore. they just call over to the air travel department and make the transaction for you. And, if you are willing to wait on the phone, they will give you your ticket number. This is good info to have if there are any issues.

I did have them issue my ticket before the usual 45 days out and no form was needed. i just called and Princess took care of it.

ML

It is advisable to always check your airline reservations at least once a week and even more frequently as your trip gets closer. This is true whether booked directly with the airline or through a 3rd party such as Princess. Twice since final payment, we have had changes to the flight schedules that required rebooking our return flights from Sydney. I noticed the changes on United's website both times well before we got notice from Princess. Both times (after lengthy phone calls for each) the Princess rep got us on other flights at no additional charge.

We appreciated the flexibility of EX Air. We priced going direct to a number of different airlines and could not get close to the fare we paid through Princess. Being able to continue to shop for a better rate until 45 days out was also very nice, as we did change it a few times due to better schedule/rate.