Cruise Critic Community
London-Calling

CMV’s New Ship: Vasco da Gama

The CMV Travel & Leisure Group is pleased to announce the acquisition of Pacific Eden from P&O Cruises Australia.

Continuing the explorer theme, the ship’s new name is named ‘Vasco da Gama’.

Gross Tonnage: 55,820grt, Draft: 7.7m, Length: 219m, Beam: 31m

Built in Fincantieri Shipyard, Italy in 1994 and launched as 'Statendam'.

Below is a slideshow of Pacific Eden's interiors:

Apparently it will be aimed at the German market, sailing out of German ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nice little ship, we have been on her sister, well done CMV.

Does anyone know if Astor will be still be doing her Australian program for 2019/2020 ? Any idea when the itineraries will be released for the fleet for that time.

Does anyone know if Astor will be still be doing her Australian program for 2019/2020 ? Any idea when the itineraries will be released for the fleet for that time.

I asked that question on CMV's facebook page a few weeks ago. They don't have the full details of the itineraries yet, but from what they said, we will have both Astor and the Vasco de Gama sailing out of Perth & Adelaide for our 2019/2020 season. (Yay!!!) I'll keep an eye on the Freo Ports site, they seem to have the info as soon as the berths are booked.

Astor is booked in diffrent norwegian ports one in october and one in november 2019. Northern Light cruises i guess.

Astor is booked in diffrent norwegian ports one in october and one in november 2019. Northern Light cruises i guess.

Thanks for that, if that's the case can't see her going north to go south to Australia....although I have just seen that Sydney ports have a booking for her in 23 Feb 2020, could be a place holder though... time will tell.. ;):D

Edited by essandjaybee
Additional info

I asked that question on CMV's facebook page a few weeks ago. They don't have the full details of the itineraries yet, but from what they said, we will have both Astor and the Vasco de Gama sailing out of Perth & Adelaide for our 2019/2020 season. (Yay!!!) I'll keep an eye on the Freo Ports site, they seem to have the info as soon as the berths are booked.

Astor is showing once in Fremantle 4th March 2020 says turnaround but not other dates in yet.......with her Sydney ports confirmed booking for an overnight stay 23 Feb 2020 this or even both may be place holders .....wish they would hurry up with the release :D

Vasco da Gama Initial sailing

We have cruised back to back from London (Tilbury)/Baltic and London/Norway on the Magellan and loved it. CMV staff and crew were fantastic and very accomodating to CC members- we organised a number of on board functions, supported by management.

We have also Cruised P & O's Pacific Aria Brisbane/Papua New Guinea.

Aria's sister ship Pacific Eden, is to become Vasco Da Gama, and the refurbishment of the public areas of these former Holland America ships (both have similar themes and layout) was tastefully undertaken.

Cabins were a bit dated but quite acceptable.

We are just starting to see the initial Singapore/London cruise offerings for April 2019 and the Southward journey to Sydney October 2019 for Columbus Club Members.

It sounds pretty good and from my perspective it is great to see more reasonable choice and perhaps focus on Australian ports.

Well done CMV.

Tuffydog

Vasco da Gama Initial sailing

We are just starting to see the initial Singapore/London cruise offerings for April 2019 and the Southward journey to Sydney October 2019 for Columbus Club Members.

It sounds pretty good and from my perspective it is great to see more reasonable choice and perhaps focus on Australian ports.

Well done CMV.

Tuffydog

We received the info yesterday, the itineraries for both are excellent and quite reasonably priced, still get the feeling she will be the replacement for Astor in Fremantle, we will know soon enough ;).

We have cruised onboard her sister the Aria too and quite honestly we would be more than happy to do the long haul on this size.... love her dining room :D

We received the info yesterday, the itineraries for both are excellent and quite reasonably priced, still get the feeling she will be the replacement for Astor in Fremantle, we will know soon enough ;).

We have cruised onboard her sister the Aria too and quite honestly we would be more than happy to do the long haul on this size.... love her dining room :D

Just received deals on Vasco De Gamas first cruises incl to London from Singapore & after the northern season back to Australia with a Buy one get one free deal.

Just received deals on Vasco De Gamas first cruises incl to London from Singapore & after the northern season back to Australia with a Buy one get one free deal.

t seems that there is a lot of interest in this first cruise. Getting in early might be an advantage if you are thinking of it.

Tuffydog

Woo Hoo!!!!!

We have been allocated our cabin on the maiden voyage of Vasco da Gama Singapore to London (Tilbury) next April.

As mentioned previously interest has been strong, but thanks to CMV Australia we were able to reserve our preference and it is now secured.

We will set up a new thread for the Voyage and talk about Meet and Greet amongst other things including port excursions in due course.

Tuffydog

Hi, we have put our names down for the CMV Singapore/London voyage. But have been told that we are guaranteed an oceanview cabin for $6839pp but will not know our cabin number until much later. We are now considering the wiseness of this decision s we have no control over where we are in the ship. Can I ask your thoughts?

Hi, we have put our names down for the CMV Singapore/London voyage. But have been told that we are guaranteed an oceanview cabin for $6839pp but will not know our cabin number until much later. We are now considering the wiseness of this decision s we have no control over where we are in the ship. Can I ask your thoughts?

We did the Baltic cruise on the CMV Magellan and requested level 5 Balcony midship (Cabin 5144) (with only 2 accommodation levels above us). We did a guarantee Ocean View on the Magellan on the back to back cruise of the Norwegian Fjords. We did not know our cabin on Level 4 until about 4 weeks before we traveled. It turned, out unless we were upgraded we essentially only had an option of Level 4 because the ship was fully booked. We were lucky to secure mid ships Cabin 4115, but the view was partially obscured by "double glazed window" clouded up internally.

So presume that the cruise will be fully booked, look at the OV cabin class on the deck plans and make your decision based on where they could be located (you will need to eliminate some OV cabins, maybe mid ships, front or rear cabins that will be already booked). If you have a preference on location, port or starboard you might be better selecting a specific cabin. Remember we are heading NW, view is basically starboard with the morning sunrise, port is afternoon sun and open seas apart from the various straights and Suez Canal.

We have chosen a cabin for this cruise, similar to the Baltic cruise. We are happy with the level and we took into account the entertainment area (Blue Room) below us, as the music would travel up the stairwells on the sister ship Pacific Aria.

A bit of a long winded response, but my view is that you are not in your cabin all day, so probably doesn't really matter unless you have a particular preference.

Tuffydog

Many many Thanks, helpful advice! Our main concern was not to be under the disco or next to a lift, let's hope that' not the case. Maybe see you on the seas.

We have booked on our first cruise from Tilbury - Sydney in Oct 19. We have noticed that perhaps in that trip a port cabin may be best? Best east views. Tips on automatic and no included expresso coffee are starting to worry us> Should we be worried?

We have booked on our first cruise from Tilbury - Sydney in Oct 19. We have noticed that perhaps in that trip a port cabin may be best? Best east views. Tips on automatic and no included expresso coffee are starting to worry us> Should we be worried?

There is a lot of open water where you are travelling. If you are chasing the sun, both portside and starboard will catch some, but will be much the same in terms of view I think.

Like most cruise ships, you can elect to cancel and self manage tipping. Magically on your last night envelopes appear in your cabin where you can reward great service.

This ship (well its mirror sister ship Pacific Aria!) has many bars and cafe spots where you can enjoy better coffee for a fee, but is worth it!

We have a new thread that we need to direct specific Cruisers to- Catch you on this new thread:

CMV Vasco da Gama Singapore to London (Tilbury) April 23, 2019.

Tuffydog

We have booked the return voyage on Vasco de Gama Tilbury as far as Auckland . Is any one else coming with us ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have sailed this ship when she was with HAL.... Great ship, Great layout, Lots to do without being on a floating city... Anyone who has enjoyed the Astoria/Astor/or Marco Polo will be delighted!

I was sent a big glossy brochure today and Astor will be doing a program from 10 December 2018 to 4 March 2019 in Australia.

Cruises out of Fremantle and Adelaide.

I got a brochure today in the mail. Astor will be in Australia from 10 December 2018 to 4 March 2019. You will be pleased with 12 cruises out of Fremantle.

Astor is showing once in Fremantle 4th March 2020 says turnaround but not other dates in yet.......with her Sydney ports confirmed booking for an overnight stay 23 Feb 2020 this or even both may be place holders .....wish they would hurry up with the release :D

I got a brochure in the mail today. Astor's Australian season starts with 10 December 2018 out of Freo with 12 cruises from there and then six from Adelaide, last one 4 march 2019

Vasco da Gamma (ex P&O Pacific Eden) will be leaving London and arriving Australia in October 2019 for an Australian season. I very much doubt that Astor will be coming as well.

Vasco da Gamma (ex P&O Pacific Eden) will be leaving London and arriving Australia in October 2019 for an Australian season. I very much doubt that Astor will be coming as well.

I got a brochure in the mail today. Astor's Australian season starts with 10 December 2018 out of Freo with 12 cruises from there and then six from Adelaide, last one 4 march 2019