Great day at Orient Beach March 2018

I spent lots of time debating and researching which beach to visit on St Marten. Our goal was no waves, lounge chairs, umbrella, low crowds and a soft drink. I had it narrowed down to Grand Case, Anse Marcel or Orient Beach. We talked to the taxi driver at length regarding the pros and cons of each beach. I told him I had heard there was still debris and broken glass on Orient Beach. He said no the beach was clean and safe. So we went to Orient Beach. So glad we did!

Devastating destruction all the way to and from Orient Beach. However the beach was gorgeous, the water clear and the sand was soft as talcum powder. There was some sea grass under our lounge chairs but no glass or debris from the hurricane. Very few people on the beach. We got two lounge chairs, an umbrella and a soft drink for $20 total. Our driver stayed and waited for us.

It was a perfect day!

What was the cost of a taxi to get to Orient Beach? My wife and I will be there in a couple of weeks and want to spend our entire cruise stop there, as we absolutely love this beach.

Is it hard to get a taxi for the return to the ship?

Is "Perch Lite" the place to get the chairs and umbrellas?

Yes, there were two parasailors. There were also about 6 wave runners available for rent. Two were rented while we were there.

Thanks for the info! We won't be there until Aug so things should be even better by then :)

The cost to get there was $10 per person each way so $20 rt/pp. I don’t think there were restrooms, I think a port a potty. I don’t know about food since we were still full from breakfast we didn’t even look for food. In the area there were three or four different vendors to get umbrella and chairs from. The vendors were in small stands or easy ups.

As I stated, our driver stayed at the beach and waited for us. He offered and we accepted. You would definitely need to make arrangements for your driver to come back or stay to wait for you. There are no taxis waiting for fares. I think the reason he stayed was because there were not many people leaving the downtown area and gas is over $7 US per gallon. He said his chance of getting another fare was slim. There were 4 of us and each couple gave him a generous tip.

I can not emphasize enough the complete destruction of the bars and restaurants on the beach. What the hurricane didn’t damage the storm surge washed away. It’s hearbreaking to see the challenges these people face here and on St Thomas. They have and still face privations I have never experienced. They are not asking for a handout but are eager to work.

The cost to get there was $10 per person each way so $20 rt/pp. I don’t think there were restrooms, I think a port a potty. I don’t know about food since we were still full from breakfast we didn’t even look for food. In the area there were three or four different vendors to get umbrella and chairs from. The vendors were in small stands or easy ups.

As I stated, our driver stayed at the beach and waited for us. He offered and we accepted. You would definitely need to make arrangements for your driver to come back or stay to wait for you. There are no taxis waiting for fares. I think the reason he stayed was because there were not many people leaving the downtown area and gas is over $7 US per gallon. He said his chance of getting another fare was slim. There were 4 of us and each couple gave him a generous tip.

I can not emphasize enough the complete destruction of the bars and restaurants on the beach. What the hurricane didn’t damage the storm surge washed away. It’s hearbreaking to see the challenges these people face here and on St Thomas. They have and still face privations I have never experienced. They are not asking for a handout but are eager to work.

This is in incredibly sad to hear and the French government should be ashamed, why has adequate help not been provided? I’ve heard the Dutch side is rebuilding much more quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you take any photos along the way? Debating whether I want to go Eastern yet with all the hurricane damage... interested in the conditions of the island beaches and the scenic drive, etc.

Thanks.

Did you take any photos along the way? Debating whether I want to go Eastern yet with all the hurricane damage... interested in the conditions of the island beaches and the scenic drive, etc.

Thanks.

Beaches are spectacular and less crowded. The scenic drive is NOT as scenic. Take a catamaran trip from near the port so you won't have to see the land and the damage if you don't want to.

Read the reviews. Most people are posting that they had enjoyable days and they felt good putting their dollars into the economy as well.

Thank you for this thread. Another heading over to Orient. We are also renting Spyders, a fun way to go!!

I feel much better about our decision hearing that while there is damage, it is getting up for cruisers.

Do you need a motorcycle license to rent the Spyders? Where do you rent them from?

Thanks.

I will have lots of photos in about 40 days.

Do you need a motorcycle license to rent the Spyders? Where do you rent them from?

Any valid motor vehicle license is accepted. More info at https://www.sxmspyderrental.com/ They are on the walkway between the port and downtown. Its about a 10 minute walk from the pier.(not taking the water taxi)

sxmspyder.jpg

Edited by BillOh

• 2 weeks later...
Any valid motor vehicle license is accepted. More info at https://www.sxmspyderrental.com/ They are on the walkway between the port and downtown. Its about a 10 minute walk from the pier.(not taking the water taxi)

Random question for you. Do you know if these can hold two people or is it limited to driver only? No worries if you don't know, just wondering if you have any experience with it.

Random question for you. Do you know if these can hold two people or is it limited to driver only? No worries if you don't know, just wondering if you have any experience with it.

I haven't done this, but saw it and was immediately interested for our June sailing. There are videos on their web site and they show 2 people per Spyder.

In the photo above, the seat rest shown is on the back seat. They are designed for two people. In the thread about these rentals here in this forum there is a picture of me and my wife on one.