Must have shade!!!

elaineb

We are going to Aruba in July. In the AM we are taking a tour with Sonny Binns. After the tour, we are going to ask him to drop us off at a beach. Some members are renting a jeep and doing the island on there own. They may or may not meet us later.

So....million dollar question is WHAT area should we ask Sonny to drop us off at? I have had melonoma surgery 3X, so I can't bake in the sun. I can go for a quick dip, but then back under the umbrella. I am reading that umbrellas are hard if not impossible to come by. I guess due to the winds? Please advise which area we could go to at around 1pm ish to enjoy the beach but be in shade. I didn't think this was going to be so hard, lol.

Thank you for your help!

A lot depends on how many cruise ships are in port. Since you are going on a tour first, a lot of the umbrellas will be taken by the time you get there. That being said, you will find more vendors on Palm Beach. Moomba would be a good place to start. There are several vendors in that area. If none are available, walk up the beach to the other pier. There are vendors there, also.

Almost all entries to the beach will have chair/umbrella rentals..no worries about that! Just tell him you will need to be dropped where there are rentals. He will know where those are.

Just bear in mind that not all umbrellas block UV/UB rays (they need to be made of a material that "blocks" the rays!)...you may be in the "shade", but the rays still come thru...so use PLENTY of sunscreen,...often and liberally!

• 1 month later...

Why not get a hat and long sleeved surf shirt to wear to the beach? They even sell some with hoods.

This is what I do out of an abundance of caution over being in the sun all day and I wore one on the beach for a weeklong trip to Aruba a couple of years ago.

Volcom sells a bunch of nice styles of rashguards.

Why not get a hat and long sleeved surf shirt to wear to the beach? They even sell some with hoods.

This is what I do out of an abundance of caution over being in the sun all day and I wore one on the beach for a weeklong trip to Aruba a couple of years ago.

Volcom sells a bunch of nice styles of rashguards.

Thank you, I have also come to that conclusion! I will check out Volcom.