Penang Details

Here is my experience in Penang--

Getting off the ship you walk through a terminal, and as you clear the doors you are directed through another building. Taxi/tour drivers offering tours for 50 ringit an hour. they have pictures printed of where they can take you. 150 for 3 hours seemed like a good deal to me, even if you might find it cheaper after you passed the main building. Had a trishaw guy also quote me 50 an hour, although I bet that should be cheaper.

there is a free city bus that has two different routes, with one stop just outside the port (turn left, walk past the clock tower just half a block to the stop). Maps inside the first terminal just before you go out the doors of the bus routes.

Uber is cheap. 20+ minute drive up to the temple on the hill was 12 ringgit or about $3 usd. even cheaper coming back to the ship.

Main downtown street is within walking distance from the ship (if you're into a nice jaunt), although it's hot. I walked to the central mosque, then over to the Khoo Khonshi house, then the Chew Jetty. Took Uber a few times to places farther away.

if you don't want to listen to a ship tour and just want to see specific things, very easy to do cheaper on your own.