Langkawi Details

dszrew

My experience in Langkawi--

Just off the ship are vans/taxis offering tours. About 50 ringgit an hour. First guy said 250 for 4 hours, then 4 or 5 hours. We committed to 5 hours for 250, could have probably talked him down. If you walk to the end of the pier, then through the hotel parking lot, you eventually get to a taxi stand. I've heard the hourly/daily rate is much less but couldn't confirm that. Was with my wife who has trouble walking so we went ahead and paid right by the ship and glad I didn't try to save a little. Translated to about $65 usd for 5 hours--a bargain for us even if it was overpriced by local standards. Had a van and driver.

Went to the cable car and spent over 3 hours of our 5 hours there. No line getting up the first cable car, but once on top it costs extra to go down to the air bridge and there was a slow moving line to take the "sky elevator" down to that.

Stopped at Craft Complex which was OK I guess. barely had time then to drive for a quick photo stop at the beach, a stop at a Thai temple, then back to the pier. the island isn't very big, but it's a slow speed limit and it takes 20-40 minutes to go from one end to the other (30 minutes from the pier to the cable car alone). driver seemed eager to stop a few more places, but we had already used our 5 hours and were ready to go back to the ship. I don't think he would have charged us more if we were to have taken a little more time. very easy going.

Uber is available, found that out later. would have had to walk to the hotel parking lot to catch the uber (not too far of a walk). 28 ringgit to the cable car from the ship, so we probably could have pieced together then trip cheaper than hiring the van. there are shops and food at the oriental village at the cable car, we could have spent more time there and if I were to do it over again I'd likely just go there taking uber.

researched before we left and it seems if we went to where the mangrove boats leave we could have likely gotten the tour for 200 ringgit for a private boat. so if we come back I'd likely just do uber to the Kilim river, hire a private boat for the 2 hour tour, then back.