Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
LSKC

Opinions from those that have recently done Eastern Caribbean...

My husband and I were exclusively looking at Western Itinerary but may need to look at Eastern's just because of our schedules lining up.

We've done St Maarten and St Thomas and liked both. Nassau doesn't appeal to me. Dominican Republic - didn't even know that was a cruise stop...is this new? San Juan, never been.

Mostly we are looking to enjoy beautiful beach days at our stops and some culture too. Not big shoppers other than to maybe grab some little gifts for our kids back home.

What is the condition of the islands after last years hurricane season - specifically St Maarten, St. Thomas/St. John and San Juan?

Also, if anyone has done the itinerary that includes Dominican republic/Punta Cana.... what was your experience like - what did you do at port?

Thanks.

ps: Southern would be our first choice but none of them line up great with our travel date options

We were just on Silhouette March 11 for San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten. You can go to the Caribbean page for details on each of these but I'll give you my thumbnail worth anyway.

We had also been to St Thomas and St Maarten but not San Juan which was what we really wanted to see. We docked right at Old San Juan and found that part of town to be pretty much recovered. We hiked uphill towards El Morro until we got to the cathedral then started working our way back after a stop at El Convento for a refreshing beverage. Most shops seemed to be open as well as the bars and restaurants. We ate dinner at Marmalade - a little pricey but well worth it for a unique dining experience.

St Thomas and St Maarten still show damage - work continues. On St Thomas we docked at Crown Bay and had to taxi into town. We just shopped a bit then were back on the ship early afternoon.

On St Maarten we spent our time in Philipsburg. Many of the shops on Front and Back Streets are still closed but enough are open to server. Old Street, a favorite for us is devastated. - only 2 shops open. The businesses along the Boardwalk are mostly reopened and the beach is fully operational. We had lunch at Lizzy's on their first day reopening. Limited menu for now but the BBQ was excellent. The people of St Maarten are very upbeat and active with their recovery - the sounds of hammers and saws are a constant background. We didn't see much evidence of recovery work on St Thomas though the need is obvious.