MARINA/French Polynesia Mar 4-19,2018 REVIEW w/lots of photos

Hoopster95

Hoopster - what a brilliant review!  So helpful as DH and I are booked on B2B cruises on the Marina out of Papeete beginning January 31, 2019. We are fans of booking private tours and I certainly needed to start researching excursions sooner than I did!  We took your advice in so many ways, so thank you for taking the time to share - this review has been tremendously helpful. 

We, too, are Canadian. I understand there are lots of options to withdraw money at ATM’s. If you take along currency and want to exchange it (whether that be euros or US dollars) or there places to exchange foreign currency?  If you are preparing your wallet to leave Canada - what percentage of cash would you carry in each currency?  Like 50% XPF?  Or just risk it and go with debit and credit cards in your wallet and withdraw money when you get over there?  We bank with one of the big Canadian banks on the interac and plus systems. 

Thanks again Hoopster!  I am a baby blogger using the blogspot app when I travel, so will strive for higher standards after reading this stellar, detailed review!

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:49 AM, delee78 said:

😉👍I have seen so many Papeete posts today that I felt bringing this thread to the top of the list might help out some folks about to embark on a FP cruise!

My friend Claudio did such an amazing, comprehensive review on the March 2018 PPT-PPT 12 day itinerary.  It is a long read, but so worth it if you would like a sneak peak into what you have waiting for you...

PS - To help answer that question in advance - pure heaven. 

I am glad you did resurrect this thread.

Somehow I missed this when it was originally posted.

We stayed in the PH next door (10032) and loved the ship and destination back in 2015.

My wife and just spent a few hours reliving it thanks to a great review by your friends😉👍

23 hours ago, jlgreuel said:

Thanks again Hoopster!  

4 hours ago, wally_bushy said:

I am glad you did resurrect this thread.

Resurrection!!! :classic_biggrin:

Thanks for the kind words. Delee, thx for re-upping this blog as it was buried in this AWFUL new cruise critic platform and virtually unsearchable unless you're savvy with the new search tool functionality.  What the new readers don't know is that is that all my videos are missing, again another issue when CC changed, never brought back full functionality of my entire review after the hours/days putting it together. At least the disappeared photos returned after about 2 weeks.

jlgreuel... I brought 0% XPF with me when we left our homes, purchased all my exchange at the airport. The Papeete airport exchange was convenient and easy, had no issues. In hind site, Euros not needed at all unless you're planning a specific private excursion with a tour provider who gives you that option. ATM will be fine as well (I used in Bora Bora no problem)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoopster95 said:

jlgreuel... I brought 0% XPF with me when we left our homes, purchased all my exchange at the airport. The Papeete airport exchange was convenient and easy, had no issues. In hind site, Euros not needed at all unless you're planning a specific private excursion with a tour provider who gives you that option. ATM will be fine as well (I used in Bora Bora no problem)

Thanks Hoopster95 - with the information you shared - my husband and I have feel the best decision for us it to to buy Euros in Canada (at about a 1.7% cost) and exchange to  XPF at the Papeete airport with the fixed processing fee.   This decision (and so many others for our trip) was made based on the wealth of information you shared in this review - thanks ever so much for that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoopster95 said:

Resurrection!!! :classic_biggrin:

Thanks for the kind words. Delee, thx for re-upping this blog as it was buried in this AWFUL new cruise critic platform and virtually unsearchable unless you're savvy with the new search tool functionality.  What the new readers don't know is that is that all my videos are missing, again another issue when CC changed, never brought back full functionality of my entire review after the hours/days putting it together. At least the disappeared photos returned after about 2 weeks.

Hoopster, based on the XPF cash you used/needed for the days in FP, should we do half our cash into XPF, do you think? We always us credit cards more than cash, but I am thinking on excursions for tips, etc? I know you aren't a travel agent, but as you've been where we're going, I thought you might have  a thought.

Also, thanks again for the terrific review; I didn't realize there were videos I missed. The photos were there, though, and they were fab.

3 hours ago, VisioaryJax said:

Hoopster, based on the XPF cash you used/needed for the days in FP, should we do half our cash into XPF, do you think? We always us credit cards more than cash, but I am thinking on excursions for tips, etc? I know you aren't a travel agent, but as you've been where we're going, I thought you might have  a thought.

Also, thanks again for the terrific review; I didn't realize there were videos I missed. The photos were there, though, and they were fab.

Yep, about 1/2 XPF is about right imo, however it seems to me they are totally geared now more so than my previous research for the cruisers coming in so US$ more common place other than the outlying islands (ie. Nuku Hiva, Fakarava) where definitely XPF is required

Testing.... will attempt to attach one of the deleted videos, from post #250 in Fakarava

edit: it works but for me it ends with previews of next available random internet youtube videos.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

Claudio, thank you for a wonderful review.  We usually sail on Celebrity and are looking at  Oceania for a trip from Amsterdam  to Barcelona when I came across your post.   You definitely sold me on Oceania and now I will  move FP to the top of the list of places to visit, maybe 2021.

I viewed your videos without a direct link, they are amazing.  All I did was copy the video number from your post, ex. 21NhwtqpSZs, and then pasted it into youtube and the video is displayed. Its a work around until the video is displayed on cruise critic.

Thanks again for an amazing post.

Lourdes

image.png.f4bf9aa81852be85ea45f796adf86d97.png

• Like 1

I've reached out to the moderators to hopefully help out in re-instating the videos within this review....

I'll let everyone who's dropped by this blog lately when I get notified when they are up.

I'm going to try another video in the meantime... here was the defining moment on this adventure for me

(click on "Hoopster95 replied to a topic" just below to take you to this post and description)

Edited by Hoopster95

Hoopster95- I just discovered your review last week. I enjoyed everything about it. You have such an amazing ability to describe your travels, I feel almost as if I was on that FP cruise! DH and I spent a week on Moorea about 20 years ago and found it paradise. He’s always wanted to return and I thought Oceania’s itinerary would be perfect. After reading your entire review however, I think it would be a bit challenging for him- he now has mobility issues. I encourage anyone thinking of this cruise to go for it- do your bucket list before it is too late! You never know what the future holds. Again, thank you for allowing us travel vicariously. All your efforts, time and awesome enthusiasm are deeply appreciated!

Hoopster...we're on the Marina next Monday on your itinerary (minus Nuka Hiva). I've been through your review twice and also gone back to specific islands for tour info. So much good information. I posted a link on our cruise roll call. Thank you and 'bon voyage'.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoopster I need your help!  Taking a page from your playbook, we have rented a car from Avis for our day in Moorea on February 11.  The confirmation says pickup and dropoff are at the Vaiare Ferry Terminal but we are of course tendering from the ship into Opunohu Bay.  I tried calling Avis and they are of no help, according to them the only 2 locations are the airport and the Ferry Terminal. Looking at your map, the Ferry Terminal is far from where we tender.  Your post said a minivan picked you up at the tender pier and brought you to the Avis counter in the Intercontinental Hotel.  How did you advise them that you needed to be picked up from the pier instead of the ferry terminal?  We will also be at the Hilton from February 8-10 so if we need to contact someone at Avis there maybe we can get someone at the Hilton to do it for us?  Any help you can provide would be very appreciated.

On 1/27/2019 at 12:34 PM, gbits said:

Hoopster I need your help!  

Sorry for the delay in responding.... just saw this post now!

We didn't book our car pre-cruise. We booked our car from an Avis rep located in the main lobby of the Hilton, so I suspect you too should find one there also. I suspect the "head office" at the ferry terminal delivers cars there for people who pre-order a day or two before. There's no kiosk or office at the Intercontinental... the AVIS minivan transfer simply collected us at the tender pier and drove us to the Intercontinental parking lot. At the back of the lot the rep there sat in her chair under a tent, and they had several cars there for the people who reserved for the day. 

Instead of calling Avis direct, perhaps contact the Hilton first instead and ask if the Avis rep still work from there.

If that doesn't work, I would also try contacting the Intercontinental directly perhaps as well

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...