What small thank you gift to bring to meet and mingle for officers?

Pandot

No offense, but why bring the officers on a ship a thank you note and a gift? Do you bring your airline pilot a gift? This just makes no sense to me. It's their job, and a well paid job.

What are you thanking them for, exactly?

No offense, but why bring the officers on a ship a thank you note and a gift? Do you bring your airline pilot a gift? This just makes no sense to me. It's their job, and a well paid job.

What are you thanking them for, exactly?

Pilots generally don’t spend time out of their busy day to host questions or gatherings. It is merely a gesture of thanks for attending the meet and greet (whichever officers they might be).

Cash for stewards, bartenders etc but that is inappropriate for an officer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pilots generally don’t spend time out of their busy day to host questions or gatherings. It is merely a gesture of thanks for attending the meet and greet (whichever officers they might be).

Cash for stewards, bartenders etc but that is inappropriate for an officer.

I understand Cole's question. I think it's nice you do that. A thank-you card would be fine, I would think. I don't think a gift is necessary. I'm sure they will appreciate that.

I am thankful to Charry on the March 10 Escape. She was very nice to us and for doing all the work for the meet and mingle . Thanks to Charry and Deepak! I recommend going on the Escape.

Cheers, Diane

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I always write Thank You notes to the Senior Management Staff both Bridge and Hotel.

All of them give up so much of their own personal lives to serve on board ships. On one of my last cruises both the Captain and the Restaurant Manager became Grandfathers--both girls.

I think a thank you card is a really nice gesture. One that the officers probably don't receive too often and would appreciate. I think the ones that are scoffing at the idea are people who most likely never write thank you notes at all in they're own life.

Do you tip at Starbucks and chipotle? I wouldn’t do that but I haven’t lived in America with the tipping culture in a long time. At Christmas people bring small gifts at Halloween customers brought candy. It’s not easy to live on a ship it’s just a kind gesture. I live in a remote village in Russia when people give you something like a chocolate that they got when they were away it makes you feel good. I understand spending a year away from family at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have LAMBASTED people for giving the crew junky little trinkets from their hometown. You are right about that.

However, when I have achieved a positive result for a client, they have often brought me flowers and chocolate. I admit to being somewhat uncomfortable with the practice, but I still appreciate and remember their kindness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am thankful to Charry on the March 10 Escape. She was very nice to us and for doing all the work for the meet and mingle . Thanks to Charry and Deepak! I recommend going on the Escape.

Cheers, Diane

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I was a bit surprised on Escape there was no group intro to the staff or Q &A like there was on Getaway two years ago. Not sure if that changed on all ships or is unique to Escape.

A handshake and a thank you would suffice!

The last thing I'd ever do on a cruise ship (or in any other confined and crowded space) is to shake hands - particularly with someone who has just shaken hands with numerous other individuals.

As for "gift" to an officer: unusual and unnecessary.

I think 95% of us here can see your gesture for what it is, and it’s not about the officers. I’m sure the officers are smart enough to see it for what it is, too. Tell them thank you, and get over yourself.

Oh my. I don't think I am misreading what I am finding here and want to mention, in particular, that this OP's signature indicates that they have sailed for 25 years.

We have sailed for about that time as well, and gestures like those mentioned by the OP are of a different time and place and carry an amazing amount of thoughtfulness.

Perhaps the idea described is not a common practice today, and likely that is even known as a practice that existed, and particularly on a line like NCL, but I can suggest that these kinds of gestures were graceful ones, and were ones made with much unselfishness and with a tremendous amount of class.

I do not see anything wrong with the OP wanting to show some appreciation for the crew hosts of the Meet and Greet. I do not think a "gift" is necessary, though.

What I think would be most appreciated is a positive comment on Cruise Critic (maybe with their names etc) or on social media about them and NCL, and a small write up on the Meet and Mingle.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I have never organized a meet and greet/mingle and didn't realize that this topic would cause such a ruckus. On land, I bring a gift to the host of a party - wanted do the same for the officer's attending the M and G. I will write thank you notes and call it a day.

Apologies to all those who I somehow upset with my question.

Happy cruising!

Most officers are not allowed to drink during their contracts.

Thank you for educating me about the alcohol restriction.

If you do bring a gift, a small, compact photo frame for pictures of faraway loved ones might be welcomed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very few officers are restricted from drinking on Norwegian. The Captain, Staff Captain, Chief Engineer, Staff Chief Engineer, Hotel Director, and the watchkeeping deck and engine officers have a zero alcohol policy. The Captain you see holding a tall glass will have ginger ale or seltzer in it. All other "officers", and most of those that interface with the guests, in the Hotel Department, can drink, and have a 0.04% BAC allowance. However, crew are not allowed to have alcohol in their cabins, so the wine bottle is out. Officers can drink in guest bars and restaurants, and in the crew bar.

And if they are senior enough to get sent to a meet and greet, they have been on ships long enough to have their own framed pictures of family.

What would you suggest then as a gesture of appreciation since you are someone in the know?

A thank you note would suffice, it is after all, part of the job. If you really felt they did a great job, a letter to their department head or a mention on a crew recognition card would be appreciated.

And, yes, I was one of those standing around with a glass of ginger ale.:D