Wonderful Copenhagen 2018 edition.

There is a possible strike on the Stromma canal tour on the 7th of august (and maybe also after that date)

The problem seems to be long shifts of 10-12 hours and not knowing when they get off before they meet on the day, no breaks, the ticket office at Nyhavn is a sauna and they don't have a dressing room or toilet so they have to use the public ones at Nyhavn. :eek:

Now 97 out of 170 employees has joined the workers union (or what its called in english) and the management sees it as a hostile action.

This is according to the local tabloid papers so what is true and what is not is difficult to say.

If they are on a strike or you don't want to support such business you can just use the Netto boats instead.

We will be cruising out of Copenhagen next June and I’m wondering about places to stay. Will probably do two nights per cruise and one night post cruise. Probably won’t be using public trains/bus for getting to and from airport and port terminal but don’t mind using them to explore the sights. Any hotel/area recommendations?

Just wanted to say thank you for all of the advice you provided, Danish Viking. We had a wonderful day pre-cruise and two days post-cruise in Copenhagen. Only problems (minor) were the weather (who knew it would be hotter there than at home), and transportation issues between Fredriksborg Castle and Kronborg Castle. We knew there was track work returning to Copenhagen from Kronborg, but there was track work between the two Castles too. However, we were so happy that we made a plan to visit both, and would recommend doing so if you have an extra day in Copenhagen. We visited both Castles and Tivoli on the same day, so made very good use of our Copenhagen Card.

The trip was so much more than we expected!

We will be cruising out of Copenhagen next June and I’m wondering about places to stay. Will probably do two nights per cruise and one night post cruise. Probably won’t be using public trains/bus for getting to and from airport and port terminal but don’t mind using them to explore the sights. Any hotel/area recommendations?

Generally speaking there is 2 main hotel areas.

One west of Strøget at Rådhuspladsen/Tivoli/Central Station and one east of Strøget at Kongens Nytorv/Nyhavn/Amalienborg.

Tripadviser is a good place to search for hotels, reviews etc.

Just wanted to say thank you for all of the advice you provided, Danish Viking. We had a wonderful day pre-cruise and two days post-cruise in Copenhagen. Only problems (minor) were the weather (who knew it would be hotter there than at home), and transportation issues between Fredriksborg Castle and Kronborg Castle. We knew there was track work returning to Copenhagen from Kronborg, but there was track work between the two Castles too. However, we were so happy that we made a plan to visit both, and would recommend doing so if you have an extra day in Copenhagen. We visited both Castles and Tivoli on the same day, so made very good use of our Copenhagen Card.

The trip was so much more than we expected!

I missed that one. ;)

But its good to hear that you had a good trip.

Thank you for all your wonderful information! My daughter and I will be arriving in Copenhagen on 27 Sept to spend 5 days before our transatlantic cruise on the NCL Breakaway. I was wondering if you could give me some idea of what kind of weather to expect for our visit.

I can't come with a good answer because last year was the wettest in ages and now its the hottest and driest in ages.

So what September bringes is a good question.

Usually its dry'ish and around 15 degrees celsius but with some rain clouds during the day.

To Danish viking and anyone else from Denmark lurking -

We returned from our trip last week and Copenhagen ended up being one of our favorite cities on the cruise. Everyone we met was friendly and the city is beautiful & clean with quaint areas. My FB pics of the city got a lot of compliments from friends. On our first evening we walked through a park near our hotel and it was refreshing to see numerous groups of people of a wide range of ages sitting on the lawn socializing & communicating with each other rather than on their phones. We rented bikes from our hotel for 1/2 day and had the time of our lives riding in the most bike-friendly city in the world. Of course, the fantastic weather helped - 72 degrees F the day we went bike riding was perfect.

Also, it was one of the better airport experiences I've had. The airport workers are very friendly & helpful and they even have separate counters for Princess cruises to expedite check-in and I loved the stations for dealing with liquids so you don't have to guzzle down your beverage at an awkward place before going thru security.

Cheers :D

I have a question about the City Pass. I know you can order it on your mobile phone. Is there any way when we are in Copenhagen to buy a 24 hour pass not through our phone, a paper ticket, and save it to use the day we disembark from our cruise?

I will try to look it up but it seems like you can get a ticket on the ticket machines in the central zones, that is 1, 2, 3 and 4, I could not buy it in zone 20 and 99 where i live.

But it will most likely be validated from the time of purchase.

Edited by Danish viking
Spelling error.

Hey D.V what's up? :)

The thing is that I am thinking of doing a weekend (Fri-Sun) in Copenhagen in December to stroll around the city and

visit some of the Christmas markets. I already had a quick look at this website but I still would like to hear your personal

experience and if there is any hidden gems that only you locals know about?.

I haven't decided anything. It was just an idea that popped up in my head yesterday. It will depend on many things

like work (I start my new job in 2 weeks from tomorrow), train ticket availability, hotel availability and etc.

I haven't had a proper vacation in years but I don't want to go too far this time since I don't want to take

too much time off from work the first couple of months.

Just for your info, there are regular minivan taxis that operate on the meter. They are around 50 % more expensive than a regular taxi. They are not as widespread as normal size taxis though

Just to clarify, the regular minivan taxis that operate on the meter can fit 4 people and 4 medium size suitcases and still charge the same as a "regular" taxi? If that is the case, than we will try to see if we can find one of those at the airport.

Taxis: We need a taxi that can hold my scooter, so it was difficult to find.The definiteky charge more for more suitcases and they consider a scooter two suitases.. Requirements to handle durable medical equipment are not the same in Denmark,so we will pay more. We are using Taxi2Airport to get to the Marriott on the 26th and a shuttle from the Marriott on the 28th.

Just to clarify, the regular minivan taxis that operate on the meter can fit 4 people and 4 medium size suitcases and still charge the same as a "regular" taxi? If that is the case, than we will try to see if we can find one of those at the airport.

The minivan taxis can fit 8 people. They cost more. Around 50 % more than the regular taxi

Regular taxis can fit 4 people.

How much luggage they can take depend on the model of the car. There will always be sufficient space for luggage for two people but if you are 4 people in a regular taxi, it might be difficult to fit it all in in some of the cars.

I will have 2 - 2.5 days to spend in Copenhagen pre-cruise next July. It will be me and my 2 kids (pre-teen & teen). Can I get some hotel recommendations? We plan to just wander around Copenhagen - do the Rick Steves walking tour of Stroget, City Hall, etc. A Canal tour of course, a visit to Tivoli Gardens (1/2 day probably), and maybe the Copenhagen zoo. So are there hotels that are within walking distance to all these things (or QUICK bus/taxi rides away)? I don't want to spend a lot of time travelling since we only have 2 days. And of course not in a seedy area. Thanks

I will have 2 - 2.5 days to spend in Copenhagen pre-cruise next July. It will be me and my 2 kids (pre-teen & teen). Can I get some hotel recommendations? We plan to just wander around Copenhagen - do the Rick Steves walking tour of Stroget, City Hall, etc. A Canal tour of course, a visit to Tivoli Gardens (1/2 day probably), and maybe the Copenhagen zoo. So are there hotels that are within walking distance to all these things (or QUICK bus/taxi rides away)? I don't want to spend a lot of time travelling since we only have 2 days. And of course not in a seedy area. Thanks

We just got back with a teen and tween, and spent 2 days before a 1 day after in Copenhagen. Please see my trip report (link below)

We stayed at ibsens hotel, big enough for a big bed and 2 twins. However I’d not recommend it if there will be a heat wave like we experienced. It was otherwise a lovely hotel in a great location

Also highly recommend the Copenhagen card. We got a 48 hr one and it was really useful! We also could use it to get to the port on our 3rd day as it hadn’t expired yet

We just got back with a teen and tween, and spent 2 days before a 1 day after in Copenhagen. Please see my trip report (link below)

We stayed at ibsens hotel, big enough for a big bed and 2 twins. However I’d not recommend it if there will be a heat wave like we experienced. It was otherwise a lovely hotel in a great location

Also highly recommend the Copenhagen card. We got a 48 hr one and it was really useful! We also could use it to get to the port on our 3rd day as it hadn’t expired yet

Ha! I was commenting on your thread just this very moment!

Generally speaking there is 2 main hotel areas.

One west of Strøget at Rådhuspladsen/Tivoli/Central Station and one east of Strøget at Kongens Nytorv/Nyhavn/Amalienborg.

Tripadviser is a good place to search for hotels, reviews etc.

I somehow missed this post when I was looking for hotel info. So these 2 neighborhoods are good for walking to most of the sights? Thanks!

I somehow missed this post when I was looking for hotel info. So these 2 neighborhoods are good for walking to most of the sights? Thanks!

In my limited experience the neighborhood by Tivoli seemed a bit seedy. We loved the Nørreport area but there may be fewer hotels there. It was so convenient to everything