Minor kids staying home, what do we need to do

bubba83

Stock the bar for them.
Ummm they are 5 and 7....

I guess i was lookong for more along the lines of if any emergency would come up with the kids that the sitter would need to take care of....like would her just having a copy of our health insurance card be enough?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Ummm they are 5 and 7....

I guess i was lookong for more along the lines of if any emergency would come up with the kids that the sitter would need to take care of....like would her just having a copy of our health insurance card be enough?

Of course it isn't, you need to leave a letter giving her permission to act on your behalf in the event of an emergency.

Give them the emergency number for the ship, just in case. Make sure whoever is caring for them (grandparents?) have the insurance card and permission to make medical decisions.....call your pediatrician and let them know, too. That's about it! Go and have some "couples" fun!

Give them the emergency number for the ship, just in case. Make sure whoever is caring for them (grandparents?) have the insurance card and permission to make medical decisions.....call your pediatrician and let them know, too. That's about it! Go and have some "couples" fun!
Ok great, and thank you...we hope to have lots of fun!

How do I find out what the emergency number is for the ship?

We used to write down all health info/providers and their contact info as well as health insurance info along with the written permission. Also include any contact info for you - ship name, cabin number, itinerary, etc. I believe the ship contact info is in your cruise info packet.

We also left similar info for our pets so that if there is an emergency there is no doubt who and where to call or go.

Happy Anniversary and Congratulations!!!

We used to write down all health info/providers and their contact info as well as health insurance info along with the written permission. Also include any contact info for you - ship name, cabin number, itinerary, etc.

We also left similar info for our pets so that if there is an emergency there is no doubt who and where to call or go.

Oh good idea, we have 2 dogs too they will be taking care of while we are gone

Ok thank you

Only you know what your situation is, who you are leaving your kids with and the needs of your kids. Some kids will just go with the flow and others won't. If it is someone they are used to, then you need to leave very few instructions. If it is someone they aren't as familiar with, you are going to leave detailed instructions.

Are you communicating with the caregiver during the week or are you going under the radar for the week?

It is a fine line because people on this board are always called out if they give parenting advice.

Only you know what your situation is, who you are leaving your kids with and the needs of your kids. Some kids will just go with the flow and others won't. If it is someone they are used to, then you need to leave very few instructions. If it is someone they aren't as familiar with, you are going to leave detailed instructions.

Are you communicating with the caregiver during the week or are you going under the radar for the week?

It is a fine line because people on this board are always called out if they give parenting advice.

Im not asking for parenting advice...i jist want to have things in place in case of an emergency with one of the kiddos while we are gone....I found the info I needed above.

When we left our kids, teens at the time, the letter giving someone permission to act for medical stuff was notarized. We always called RCI and got the ship''s direct number and fax number. Did that for work reasons.

Of course it isn't, you need to leave a letter giving her permission to act on your behalf in the event of an emergency.

You need to have the letter notarized.

Oops, sorry - I see that was already mentioned, but it is very important. I no longer have minor children, but I do have four legged kids and I always leave a notarized letter giving my son permission to authorized emergency medical treatment for them.

Edited by mek

notarized letters stating who can make medical decisions for the kids and what dates. Leave contact info for any close neighbors/friends, parents, in laws, pediatrician. We usually leave local info too like nearest hospital, non emergency police number, go over stuff in the house (where breaker panel is. Where main water shutoff is). Find out the emergency contact number for the ship you are on and leave your cabin number too.

notarized letters stating who can make medical decisions for the kids and what dates. Leave contact info for any close neighbors/friends, parents, in laws, pediatrician. We usually leave local info too like nearest hospital, non emergency police number, go over stuff in the house (where breaker panel is. Where main water shutoff is). Find out the emergency contact number for the ship you are on and leave your cabin number too.
All good things thanks

Leaving health insurance card, name/contact info for pediatrician’s ofc., making sure the caregiver knows where the closest hospital/urgent care center is, where band aids and medicines are in your house if they are staying there, things like that. Health care letter should definitely be notarized. Any allergies? I might make a list if there are serious issues w/either of them. Also make sure the caregiver has authority to sign the kids out of school/child care if need be.

Those are some thoughts I had but as noted above your individual situation may differ. Enjoy your trip.

Kids not kite, i know it seems morbid but we did this before we went on our first cruise without our kids. Also as far as I know the letter for permission to seek medical attention doesn't have to be notarized its no different than the form you sign for your kids school to seek emergency medical help.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Forums mobile app

In addition to medical permissions one might consider a notarized letter granting limited temporary guardianship. This might be necessary if authorities for some reason questioned the authority of the person/people caring for the children. Some medical or non-medical emergency for example. Not only does it provide authority for the guardian, it also demonstrates due diligence on the part of the parents.

Might depend where you live, but clinic/hospital here had an excellent form that you could fill out annually to be kept on file for emergencies.

If you are leaving information I would include insurance information along with permission to treat, and have notarized. Don't forget to include dental information as well as Doctor/pediatrician.

Same thing for any pets that you are leaving at home. I board my dog and kennel always asks for contact information, etc.

As far as house, usual things like water shut off, electrical circuit breakers, cable/computer info, full street address and phone number, insurance information for property, emergency numbers and non-emergency numbers for fire and police.

If you are leaving vehicle home for sitter would also make sure they know how to use car seats and have necessary insurance information for vehicle.

We did a land vacation without the kids last year. They stayed with my parents. I had our attorney draw up paperwork to allow my parents to make medical decisions for our kids while we were away. Specified dates and circumstances. We also updated our will in case we both died abroad. We left copies of our passports and contact information with my parents. Arranged care for our dogs and asked neighbors to check on the house. We made sure the kids had everything they would need and plenty of cash to my parents to support the kids for 8 nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You might also want to leave the contact info for the kids' schools (guessing the 7 yr old is in school, not sure about the 5 yr old)- specifically the procedure for calling them in absent in case that is needed while you are away.