Excursions!

Nippy Sweetie

The problem to me is that Viking advertises a tour in every port. We were not expecting drive by bus tours. We thought that there would be at least a walking tour and a bus tour. One of the reasons we booked Viking was because of this. However, on our cruise, in LeHavre, if you didn't want to spend the whole day going to Paris and back there was nothing included. We paid a driver to take us to Honfleur. Likewise, in Warnemunde if you didn't want the train to Berlin there was nothing. At the last minute they added an included walking tour to Rostock that we loved!!!! In Stockholm we were already on the bus when they told us that it wouldn't stop and we would be on for 2 hours driving around. Plenty of things to see in Stockholm on foot. Wouldn't that be cheaper for them than chartering a bus as an option? The folks on the world cruise are complaining about the included tours as well...drive by bus tours. They all had a ton of shipboard credit to spend so were fortunate that they could do optionals.

I totally agree---the bus tours are a bust. We had some on our Homelands cruise last July and the very worst was in Bergen with a guide who was abysmal. We did the bus one in Stockholm too, but had had time to take the little ferry and go over to visit the terrific Vasa Museum.

We were very lucky that we were staying in Stockholm on our own after the cruise and did many walks, a canal cruise, took the ferry to the Vasa museum....but we felt that we wasted the morning on the included tour. We would have been better on our own. On our mainstream cruises we always did our own. We had high hopes with Viking when we heard excursions were included. For the price we pay they should be better.

I totally agree---the bus tours are a bust. We had some on our Homelands cruise last July and the very worst was in Bergen with a guide who was abysmal. We did the bus one in Stockholm too, but had had time to take the little ferry and go over to visit the terrific Vasa Museum.

I think Viking is still working out how to translate what works in terms of excursions on the river to ocean ports.

We just did the West Indies Explorer. Having been to the Caribbean before, I knew the tours they had planned for the included ones weren’t going to work out well.

We did mostly optional tours and they were fantastic! We did St Lucia by boat. It was supposed to be a Land and Sea tour, but when we boarded we got a note saying that it would be by Sea only because people complained about the quality of the bus ride portion.

They asked us to fill out evaluation forms after each one and I believe they are making changes on the fly.

All of the excursions that involved a boat were fabulous and well worth the cost. I suggested that they work in some parts of the optional tours into the included ones.

We did a tour with a photographer on Barbados that was excellent. Small group in a van. We went to off the beaten path spots the photographer selected and thoroughly enjoyed the day.

We did do several of the included tours. The walking tours in San Juan and St Croix were very nice, very informative. The bus tour in St Kitts was nice because it wasn’t too long and they took us to a lovely estate with phenomenal views and very nice gardens.

I think they are learning and we can help by making sure to give them feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Currently Helsinki is sold out - that is bus but the port is far out and it seemed like an easy way to get an overview and then stay in town. Of course if they add an afternoon one, it will become more difficult as we would have to either just stay on board or get back to the boat to catch it. I am hoping for another morning tour.

Also Tallin is sold out - both regular and leisurely morning and afternoon. That's really a shame as I want to make plans for the other 1/2 of the day.

All boat tours and bike tours sold out. Most lower priced excursions - modifications of walking tours are sold out. The one that surprised me was that the Flam railway is not sold out. I did not expect to be able to book that so we are staying in Bergen and doing NIN.

This is really hard for me but I am a planner. Patiently awaiting the addition of more tours.

Jean did you email the folks at tellus@vikingcruises? They seem to have the ability to help sometimes in these situations. In Helsinki there is a shuttle from the ship to the center of town but it didn't run for 2 hours in the middle of the day for a lunch break. The only interesting thing on the included tour was the church in the rock. I forget the name. The rest was bus. A little walking downtown and some free time then we could take the bus back or the shuttle. We opted to stay and take the shuttle not knowing about the 2 hours it didn't run. So we stayed longer than anticipated.

Stretchcruz, thanks for sharing your trip. I was hoping to take an early bus tour and then get dropped in town for lunch and a self guided walking tour of the design district before getting the shuttle back. Did you have a chance to go inside the church in rock? I had wanted to do a quick stop at the Sebelius Monument just to see it as well.

Viking included tours seem better on river vs ocean but that is a strong function of dock.

In Vikingese Panoramic = bus tour usually with brief photo stops.

I would recommend that as part of the included Viking (1) strive to offer a walking included alternative AND (2) post pre-cruise info on myvikingjourney that at port X shuttles will be available for passengers starting once boat has docked. Shuttles usually ARE available but knowing beforehand on myvikingjourney will let folks make more secure plans.

I am hoping that Viking improves the excursion issues by next summer. I am doing the Alaska Inside Passage itinerary, and I'm a little nervous to begin with because that's a new itinerary for them. I have never cruised Alaska, and perhaps should have gone with a line that has all the kinks ironed out already! I just heard such good things about Viking! lol

With one ocean cruise completed and two more booked, I just did a review of all 24 included excursions on these three cruises. Only two of them were exclusively bus excursions with photo stops. The rest were either a combination of part drive-by and part walking tours, or entirely walking tours, or at the very least a bus tour with time on your own in one location. Many of them ( for instance Athens, Dubrovnik, Olympia, Kotor, Portsmouth, Murcia, and Ronne) include inside visits to museums or churches. Amsterdam includes a canal boat ride.

There are a few disappointments in the list. The include excursion for Zeebrugge does not actually go to Bruge, and St. Petersburg is only a bus tour with photo stops. I figure that the included excursions are only intended to be introductory, but many of them are quite good on that level. We read descriptions carefully, and select optional excursions in some cases, and booked a private tour in St. Petersburg. We often make use of the free shuttle buses provided by Viking. (Philw1776, I like your idea of having Viking post the availability of shuttles on My Viking Journey!)

We usually avoid booking the first sailing of a new itinerary, figuring that what looks good on paper may not turn out as good as intended and we would rather wait for adjustments to be made when necessary. My exception to that is our sailing next year of the new Russia and the Baltic Sea (well, hoping that the state of the world allows us to go at all). This will be a first sailing, but it covers mostly ports that Viking has experience with, even though they will all be new for us.

Here is the description. EASY.png

EASY

Shopping%20and%20Free%20Time.png

SHOPPING AND FREE TIME

Sightseeing.png

SIGHTSEEING

Take in the best of Helsinki, the “White City of the North,” boasting neoclassical beauty and Art Nouveau graces. View the neoclassical elegance of Senate Square in the heart of the Old City and admire the immense Helsinki Cathedral, Parliament buildings and the medieval-inspired facade of the National Museum of Finland. Browse the stalls and interact with locals and vendors during free time at colorful Market Square. Pass the docked icebreaker fleet that keeps traffic flowing in Helsinki’s harbor during the winter, and Olympic Stadium—built to host the 1952 Summer Olympics. Admire the Opera House, with its scenic setting on Töölö Bay, and visit Sibelius Park to view the magnificent sculpture commemorating Jean Sibelius, Finland’s greatest composer. The sculpture is made of more than 600 steel pipes set in a wave design, a visual representation of Sibelius’s music.

We did. Last July Homelands.[/quote

Well, we were on VH in September 2016. I had seen it in reviews from the cruise too. We went inside rock church and to the stadium. We did go to town early and ran into the bus lapse around lunch. Did make it back to ship, but just barely. Knowing my experience, I would suggest you catch the shuttle to town and catch the tourist bus(City), if you can't make the early included tour. It makes a loop and you can get off where you want and catch the shuttle back.

Dauntless, are you talking about a hop on hop off bus. I am not sure what you mean by tourist bus(City). If so which line did you use. Thanks for any help. Still waiting for Viking to add in a trip so that I can see the times. Its been a week now.

I keep getting an email reminding me to log on and book by excursions. Its pretty frustrating considering that 2 ports where I would prefer to do the included excursions are sold out. Still no progress on getting them to add some times. I hate to make alternate plans until I have to. I certainly have never experienced anything like this in all of my years of cruising.

I keep getting an email reminding me to log on and book by excursions. Its pretty frustrating considering that 2 ports where I would prefer to do the included excursions are sold out. Still no progress on getting them to add some times. I hate to make alternate plans until I have to. I certainly have never experienced anything like this in all of my years of cruising.

You will be accommodated on the included tours, but the choice of time slots will probably be limited. Try calling or email tellus@vikingcruises.com.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It must be a pretty dispiriting prospect to be setting off on an expensive trip without the confidence that you'll actually manage to get on what are advertised as included excursions. People must be left feeling pretty disconcerted at the prospect of having to beg to be included or hope that others drop out.

It has been a while since I did this, so I am not certain of the details, but I recall a similar problem. When looking at excursions on MVJ, at first I didn't realize that there was a drop down box for the times for each excursion. If the first time is sold out, that doesn't mean they are all sold out. You have to click on the drop down to see the other times. Could that be the issue here? Hope this helps.

You are indeed assured of a spot on the included excursions. If my idea does not solve the problem, communicate with tellus@vikingcruises.com. Include your booking number and a contact phone number. They will make this work. Do hope you will enjoy your cruise as much as we did.

I second previous comments. Email tellus@vikingcruises.com. Those folks are extremely helpful and respond almost immediately.

I have emailed them several times. Once when I noticed that they were sold out, once when it came time to sign up and they were still sold out and then again when I got the 2nd reminder. They respond but I assume that they are not in charge of adding tours so all that they can do is to reassure. If I was a last minute planner or did not care, it would be easier.