Millennium Edgeification

DYKWIA

not sure if I've seen a thread relating to this...

Watching TV last night in the U.K. and our TA had their weekly TV show. One of their promos described a cruise next year from Singapore to Hong Kong. The Celebrity rep on the show said that the ship would be fresh out of a major (I think they said 5 week) dry dock. They used the term Edgeification and said all cabins would get a complete makeover going back to the wall. Ocean view cabins would get floor to ceiling windows. Restaurants (not sure all) will get a major renovation and complete refurbishment of the shopping area.

Sounds interesting. Can you indicate which show you were watching so I can be on the lookout for a future replay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will probably break CC rules as the name of the show is the TA. In the U.K. On one of the shopping channels one of the UKs leading TAs (possibly the biggest) runs a one hour show each Tuesday night. Essentially each show they push 6 cruises aimed at U.K. Customers. Sometimes (like last night) they get someone from the cruiseline on the couch with them. The Celebrity Millennium segment was about 10 minutes.

Looking in the UK for something that might describe a suite by holst might help

A local TA’s weekly show in the UK is unlikley to be seen on US tv. Maybe it can be streamed somwhow?

I think they have a channel,on YouTube. Not sure whether it's the same as what is broadcast - just checked - it's the the same

Will probably break CC rules as the name of the show is the TA. In the U.K. On one of the shopping channels one of the UKs leading TAs (possibly the biggest) runs a one hour show each Tuesday night. Essentially each show they push 6 cruises aimed at U.K. Customers. Sometimes (like last night) they get someone from the cruiseline on the couch with them. The Celebrity Millennium segment was about 10 minutes.

Looking in the UK for something that might describe a suite by holst might help

Feel free to use the email link in my signature block to send a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What were the dates for dry dock, if you remember?

5th February 2019 was the cruise they advertised and their rep said it would be fresh out of a 5 week dry dock - not sure if that means it is immediately before that. I'm currently seeing nothing starting in January.

Celebrity announced this program as "Celebrity Revolution" back in October. Here is a video about it:

If you google "Celebrity Revolution" you will also find other articles about it [not giving links because these look like TA websites]

Watching TV last night in the U.K. and our TA had their weekly TV show.

There used to be a link on their website to watch the show again, but I can’t see one there. Maybe it will pop up tomorrow. OT, but the presenter, Shaun, is a friend of mine. A few of us are doing an Azamara Med cruise in June. He loves Azamara!

Phil

There have been posts on this board by people affected by cancellations for drydocks beginning next year. Millennium has cancelled six weeks' worth of sailings starting in mid-January into February 2019. Summit has cancelled from mid-February into March 2019. I don't think any others have been announced yet, but these drydocks are for the updates being discussed.

A local TA’s weekly show in the UK is unlikley to be seen on US tv. Maybe it can be streamed somwhow?

I think they have a channel,on YouTube. Not sure whether it's the same as what is broadcast - just checked - it's the the same

I just finished watching the first half of the show where they covered the updated Millennium. Of course, the artist renditions always look spectacular, but hard to imagine those Oceanview staterooms with a porthole or large window becoming "floor-to-ceiling" windows. Nevertheless, I am open to the possibilities of sailing on this ship later in 2019. Now I have something to ponder as I research my next booking.

I just finished watching the first half of the show where they covered the updated Millennium. Of course, the artist renditions always look spectacular, but hard to imagine those Oceanview staterooms with a porthole or large window becoming "floor-to-ceiling" windows. Nevertheless, I am open to the possibilities of sailing on this ship later in 2019. Now I have something to ponder as I research my next booking.

Is that your lack of imagination, or do you have some architectural or structural engineering expertise that says it's impossible?

Installing floor to ceiling windows should not be a problem as the exterior hull is primarily a sheet metal skin over a steel frame. The hulls integrity should be just as strong with an approximately 7'x7' window as with the existing round ones. They merely need to cut a hole in the hull, fit the new window unit and weld it safely in place. There should be enough strength in the hull for this. It's more a matter if the expense is justified.

I wonder if all rooms will get them or only say deck 3 and higher.... It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

On Holland America the deck with lifeboats has rooms with floor to ceiling windows. I think it might be a slider that won't open .They are obstructed view. I've never been in one but some people like them because they let in more light .

I love the look of these. Like a balcony view without the balcony.

I found the website, but do not see the show. :confused:

We are considering a Japan cruise in April 2019 so I asked my big box, internet TA about this (she has been unusually responsive and accurate in the past).

She called X yesterday and was told that the millennium is going into dry dock Jan 5 to Feb 2 2019. I believe this corresponds with the schedule showing no cruises scheduled for those weeks.R

She was also told that the OV rooms will not be getting floor to ceiling windows, nor would I think that could be completed in just 4 weeks.

The change that makes me most enthusiastic is to the buffet, making it more similar to what we experienced on the Eclipse last December. Good flow, uncrowded feeling, smart set up of food.

ETA it DOES correspond to the 2019 schedule. http://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Celebrity-Millennium-622

And Singapore is regularly used for dry dock for a variety of cruise lines.

Edited by jkgourmet

DH and I are also looking at that cruise, but not sure which one to take. ;)There is one March 30, and then the two in April. Have you thought about your air, yet?

The April 13 2019 is decidedly different than the other two in that it pretty much only goes to ports in japan.

The other two visit other countries in SE asia. I'm not sure they even go to Japan because we eliminated SE Asia cruises because of the distance from the ports to things that we would want to see. And many of the ports are in industrial areas, eliminating the 'just walk into town's alternative to those long bus rides. The Japan ports have less of that.

Air? We originate at RDU. A quick Kayak search for May 2018 RDU-Tokyo RT shows coach airfares of around $1500 pp. That's what I used for our budgeting. I'm hopeful (but not terribly optimistic) that Choice Air will do better, or we can use some FF miles.

We usually plan a few days pre or post cruise for interesting debarkation ports. This time, I doubt we will due to the cost of hotels, etc. It's already an expensive cruise. We will, of course, arrive the day before departure.

Might be optimistic to ask but does anyone have any idea as to the timescales on this fleetwide ? All I can see is plan to have all Solstice and Millennium class done by 2023. Any further info available ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am also skeptical about cutting into the hull to add floor-to-ceiling windows to *existing* oceanview staterooms. I think a much more likely scenario is that they will install some *new* staterooms with floor-to-ceiling windows--pretty much analogous to what Royal Caribbean did on their Voyager and Freedom class ships. Royal Caribbean built some new staterooms outward from the spa on deck 12. Those were the ones that received the floor-to-ceiling windows. The existing oceanview staterooms remained the same.