Marseilles diy - first time cruiser

newbee85

Hi All,

I am looking for advice on what to do in Marseilles. This is our first cruise, Royal Caribbean Symphony of the Seas in June. We will be at port from 9am - 6 pm and need to be back an hour before departure. I am looking for best things to do in the amount of time we will have. Recommendations on transportation, etc, would be greatly appreciated as we have no idea what we are doing. Thanks so much!

Hi All,

I am looking for advice on what to do in Marseilles. This is our first cruise, Royal Caribbean Symphony of the Seas in June. We will be at port from 9am - 6 pm and need to be back an hour before departure. I am looking for best things to do in the amount of time we will have. Recommendations on transportation, etc, would be greatly appreciated as we have no idea what we are doing. Thanks so much!

Think of Marseille as the "gateway to Provence" which is one of the most popular regions in all of France. And within Provence, Marseille is probably the least liked city. If you want to DIY you have a few easy options and many more not so easy options :). The easiest is to simply stay in Marseille, walk around, perhaps use some of the public transportation to get away from downtown, take a boat over to Chateau d'If, etc. A relatively easy DIY option is to grab a train or bus (both located at the St Charles Train Station in town) to Aix en Provence. This is a pretty large Provencial city with more then its share of charms and options to keep a DIYer busy.

As to the more difficult options, I could probably fill a small book. Many of the better options would mean either booking a tour or renting a car. But it is possible to use the train to get as far as places like Avignon (a very interesting historical town). My suggestion is to take a look at the various Excursions offered by your cruise line...which will give you a good starting point for researching options. As long time DIYers (for over forty years) we still like to look at the cruise line excursions for ideas...although we seldom book any of those tours.

Hank

Thanks for your input Hank! This is a great start. I will definitely check out what excursions they offer. I also recently found the roll call for my cruise (all new to me) and it seems there are some members trying to setup private tours.

Depending when in June - the lavender fields might be in bloom. This seems like the "thing" to go see. I'm on Disney in mid June and we're doing a private tour to see lavender blooms and a few small towns.

I agree with previous poster - Marseille is gateway to provence - SO MUCH TO SEE AND DO! If you like art - you walk in the footsteps of Van Gogh, Cezanne, Matisse.... A ton of history in Arles, Avignon etc.. and some other's i've researched -

- Les Baux-de-Provence

- Sanary

- Bandol,

- Le Castellet.

- Châteauneuf du Pape

- Saint-Rémy-de-Provence.

- Aix en provence

Some of them easier to reach on your own than others.

apparently Rick Steves' book on cruise ports is supposed to be amazing for DIY - you can also listen to several of his podcasts for free to get some ideas.

Depending when in June - the lavender fields might be in bloom. This seems like the "thing" to go see. I'm on Disney in mid June and we're doing a private tour to see lavender blooms and a few small towns.

I agree with previous poster - Marseille is gateway to provence - SO MUCH TO SEE AND DO! If you like art - you walk in the footsteps of Van Gogh, Cezanne, Matisse.... A ton of history in Arles, Avignon etc.. and some other's i've researched -

- Les Baux-de-Provence

- Sanary

- Bandol,

- Le Castellet.

- Châteauneuf du Pape

- Saint-Rémy-de-Provence.

- Aix en provence

Some of them easier to reach on your own than others.

apparently Rick Steves' book on cruise ports is supposed to be amazing for DIY - you can also listen to several of his podcasts for free to get some ideas.

We will be there the second week of June. Thanks for your input! I will definitely look into his podcasts to get some ideas.

• 2 weeks later...
Think of Marseille as the "gateway to Provence" which is one of the most popular regions in all of France. And within Provence, Marseille is probably the least liked city. If you want to DIY you have a few easy options and many more not so easy options :). The easiest is to simply stay in Marseille, walk around, perhaps use some of the public transportation to get away from downtown, take a boat over to Chateau d'If, etc. A relatively easy DIY option is to grab a train or bus (both located at the St Charles Train Station in town) to Aix en Provence. This is a pretty large Provencial city with more then its share of charms and options to keep a DIYer busy.

As to the more difficult options, I could probably fill a small book. Many of the better options would mean either booking a tour or renting a car. But it is possible to use the train to get as far as places like Avignon (a very interesting historical town). My suggestion is to take a look at the various Excursions offered by your cruise line...which will give you a good starting point for researching options. As long time DIYers (for over forty years) we still like to look at the cruise line excursions for ideas...although we seldom book any of those tours.

Hank

Can you walk to the town from where the boat docks?

Take the ship's excursion to Avignon or arrange a private tour. If you never get the chance to go back to this area again, it's a must see destination. Google it! You'll also get to travel through the countryside and see the lavender if it's in bloom.

Diy in Marseille:

1) Share a taxi to the old Port (25 euros)

2) Take the little train to go the the basilica on the highest hill (5 euros)

3) You can also use the public bycicles from the old port

4) Enjoy the Panier historical neighborhood, the Corniche Kennedy, Vallon des Auffes, Borely Parc (take the city bus you can pay your ticket to the driver)

Marseille is a beautiful city but you may also be interested in Avignon or Arles (city of Van Gogh) or Mary Magdalene

Cheers

We were flummoxed too on what to do in Marseille. Princess wanted $750 to $1150 pp for a half day private car. There is a free shuttle to the City Centre but it’s a hike to get to the shuttle depending on how far away from the port gates your ship is docked. We opted to negotiate with a cab driver at the dock who spoke enough English to get by. For $120euro for both of us, he took us to 5 prime attractions and dropped us off and waited each time. Total time was 3 1/2 hours for a nice Volvo suv. I was so grateful not to be on one of those busses! For us it was a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were flummoxed too on what to do in Marseille. Princess wanted $750 to $1150 pp for a half day private car. There is a free shuttle to the City Centre but it’s a hike to get to the shuttle depending on how far away from the port gates your ship is docked. We opted to negotiate with a cab driver at the dock who spoke enough English to get by. For $120euro for both of us, he took us to 5 prime attractions and dropped us off and waited each time. Total time was 3 1/2 hours for a nice Volvo suv. I was so grateful not to be on one of those busses! For us it was a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For about 100 euros each we had prearranged for a car and driver to take us to Provence. Saw Avignon and Arles with lunch at a stand in Les Baux.

Boat tours of the calanques:

My wife and I caught a shuttle to the Vieux-Port, then took a boat tour of the calanques between Marseilles and Cassis. The calanques are like fjords, but they're limestone cliffs. It was quite memorable.

I had been warned that the Mediterranean can easily turn into a "churches and museums" cruise, so I wanted to mix it up with something different.

Are there cabs available at the piers or not? I've read several times here that cabs are now only available outside the port gates in Marseilles and that private tour companies are not allowed to pick up directly at the ships anymore either. That would mean that the only way to avoid the time-consuming walk to the port gates would be to take one of the ship's tours. Can someone who has been there recently say if this is true or not?

Getting to the old port from the ship isn't walkable, but there is a free shuttle. The cruise operator will try to charge you a lot for their bus, but there is an identical bus that takes you there for free! See where to get the bus on this printable map:

Marseille Cruise Port Map

The mini train is 7 euros and takes you to the Basilica at the top of the hill for great views. But I would say you could walk it, just means going up a big hill on the way there. There is a little beach on the corner of that side of the port too.

• 1 month later...
For about 100 euros each we had prearranged for a car and driver to take us to Provence. Saw Avignon and Arles with lunch at a stand in Les Baux.

Hello! Who did you book your car through please?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

we are doing this cruise on 9/30. would love to hear back on what your plans were and how they worked out.

Beth

• 2 weeks later...
Boat tours of the calanques:

My wife and I caught a shuttle to the Vieux-Port, then took a boat tour of the calanques between Marseilles and Cassis. The calanques are like fjords, but they're limestone cliffs. It was quite memorable.

I had been warned that the Mediterranean can easily turn into a "churches and museums" cruise, so I wanted to mix it up with something different.

So glad to hear this! We love to kayak and are hoping to kayak the calanques during our day in Marseilles. Good to hear that it was a memorable excursion!

• 2 weeks later...
So glad to hear this! We love to kayak and are hoping to kayak the calanques during our day in Marseilles. Good to hear that it was a memorable excursion!

Hello. Would you share what you decided to do? I'd like to visit and swim at the Calanques. Did you rent a car and, if so, from what company? Thanks for any info you can share!!

• 3 weeks later...

We also are scheduled to visit Marseilles, at the end of November on an MSC cruise. Our roll call is dead so what we do, we do on our own. Like others, we never opt for ship's tours. We cannot afford an expensive tour so we are looking for some suggestions.

Ourselves, we are seniors but fairly mobile. We really aren't much for museums and the 'arts' but I am an avid photographer. Since we have never been to this city, is the enough to do without heading out of the city?

Again, besides the museums and churches, what else is there to do that might interest us.

That boat ride did sound interesting.

Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Len

• 2 weeks later...
Getting to the old port from the ship isn't walkable, but there is a free shuttle. The cruise operator will try to charge you a lot for their bus, but there is an identical bus that takes you there for free! See where to get the bus on this printable map:

Marseille Cruise Port Map

The mini train is 7 euros and takes you to the Basilica at the top of the hill for great views. But I would say you could walk it, just means going up a big hill on the way there. There is a little beach on the corner of that side of the port too.

Anyone recently taken the MSC shuttle from the Marseille dock to the Old Port? What did MSC charge (round trip)?

• 1 month later...
Diy in Marseille:

1) Share a taxi to the old Port (25 euros)

2) Take the little train to go the the basilica on the highest hill (5 euros)

3) You can also use the public bycicles from the old port

4) Enjoy the Panier historical neighborhood, the Corniche Kennedy, Vallon des Auffes, Borely Parc (take the city bus you can pay your ticket to the driver)

Marseille is a beautiful city but you may also be interested in Avignon or Arles (city of Van Gogh) or Mary Magdalene

Cheers

Where do I get the train to Notre Dame? We would like to make this a DIY and not do a guided tour.