Just another Oasis (lack of) Service Thread

I´m certainly not flaming you. I compliment you for your decision to not come back. If you are unhappy the only right thing to do is to vote with your feet and wallet. Good luck whatever you decide to do next. Oasis will continue to sail full anyway and RCI won´t be hurt, but you will be hopefully happier.

How would you like to come back from the pool at 4, hot sweaty and see a dirty room??? TWICE!

It wouldn´t be a big deal for me.

I have never come back to a dirty room and I will never come back to a dirty room. If the room had not been serviced in the morning it´s still less than 24 hours since it´s been made the last time. How dirty could it have been gotten in those maybe 20 hours? My room would not have been messy when I left for the pool and as such it would not be dirty when I return, even if the cabin attendant was not in there in the meantime.

Should the cabin had been made up? For sure, if you had vacated it in time for the cabin attendant to get the job done during his/her shift and didn´t have the DNS sign out.

However stating coming back to a dirty room is a far stretch, unless you are the one to have it unreasonably messed up.

However stating coming back to a dirty room is a far stretch, unless you are the one to have it unreasonably messed up.

Pretty good point. Never came back to a cabin that wasn't made up but even if it wasn't, I wouldn't consider it dirty. The only thing we don't straighten up before leaving is the bed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just like anything in life, you’ll run into bad service. Entitled to your opinion and I’m sorry you had such a horrible experience

Did you speak to anyone while on board? Did you fill out your post cruise survey. The service industry relies on that feedback, good and bad, to address issues and keep doing whatever is working great. So I hope you did those things

We had some issues while on oasis in October, including a moldy bun from the hot dog ‘stand’. We notified staff and we were apologized to over and over. We were offered dinner in the solarium and could order from the ‘extras’ menu and received a visit from the head chef himself.

People make mistakes, but the real customer services lies in how it’s handled/addresses

Cruise History

Royal Caribbean: Oasis of the Seas 12/2018 Post Deployment Family Trip Eastern Caribbean

Royal Caribbean: Symphony of the Seas 6/2018 Scentsy Incentive Trip Mediterranean

Royal Caribbean: Oasis of the Seas 10/2017 Framily Trip Western Caribbean

Royal Caribbean: Liberty of the Seas 4/2017 Spring Break Family Trip Western Caribbean

Royal Caribbean: Liberty of the Seas 4/2016 Spring Break Family Trip Western Caribbean

Royal Caribbean: Independence of the Seas 1/2016 Scentsy Leadership Cozumel

Royal Caribbean: Adventure of the Seas 6/2015 Scentsy Incentive Trip! Eastern Caribbean

Royal Caribbean: Freedom Of The Seas 3/2013 Spring Break Family Trip Eastern Caribbean

Royal Caribbean: Rhapsody of the Seas 6/2009 Kid Free Alaskan Cruise

Royal Caribbean: Monarch of the Seas 10/2005 Mexican Riviera

Disney Cruise Line Fantasy: 1/2003 Honeymoon Eastern Caribbean

Norwegian Cruise Line: Seaward 4/1998 Senior Spring Break Eastern Caribbean

We're pretty self-sufficient cruisers and don't require a lot. We keep the cabin clean, neat and tidy. I'm usually so exhausted at night that you can barely tell the bed has been slept in. We put the little tab in the door as we leave in the morning and we've never come back to our cabin without it having been made up. The main reason I do is that I want clean linens. Give me some clean towels and wash clothes and I'm pretty happy. We usually eat in the MDR for lunch on sea days, but we do eat lunch there several days. We always find something to eat, whether it's a sandwich or a salad or a meat and a vegetable. Incidentally, we sailed on both RC and Celebrity last year. There are differences in the lines but I honestly didn't feel that Celebrity was better with the food or the service. Maybe we are just to easy to please????

I just sailed on Oceania for the first time. I regret to report here that the nightly dinner buffet was equal to, and in some cases better, than RCL's Specialty venues.

I should hope so! I can do 2 weeks on Freedom in Oct. in a Junior Suite for less than an oceanview on Oceana. Having said that, you hit the nail on the head. If you want upper scale dining, service, etc. try a luxury line. We are doing our first Regent cruise in Nov. I have always enjoyed Royal Caribbean over any other mass market, but I'm ready for more of the luxury experience to see how it is.

I have only done Royal Once. And found it no different than my line of Choice Carnival. But I think the problem might be in the OASIS class not RCCL it self. I personally avoid large ships. Much prefer smaller ships with less bells and whistles. There are more staff to passenger ratio, better service and shorter lines. It's cruising for the right reasons, sun and relaxation. My advise avoid the bigger ships! Give RCCL another change if you liked her in the past.

All ships are "understaffed" nowadays...Used to be a 3-1 ration of crew to passengers..not anymore.

Absolutely not true.

I returned from a cruise this week. According to the cruise information given out at the end of the cruise, there were 589 officers and crew on board, 1300 passengers.

On cruise on the same line in January had a similar ratio.

Of course, to have room for the crew and adequate public space for the passengers, one needs to give up space grabbers like ice rinks, bumper cars, and other features that are of little use to most of the passengers on board.

We cruised on Anthem in December. We were slightly annoyed the first day when the room was not made up after we had vacated it for quite a bit of time. We quickly discovered that our steward was simply looking for the "Please Make Up Room" card, It was made up very quickly after that.....

I would say....each situation is what you make it....what bothers me is that people can treat the crew as their slaves. I appreciate every single one of them! We are loyal royals....I can’t imagine handling all of us demanding peeps! I commend them for their patience of us..

Service has been outstanding on every cruise!

Happy cruising....

I just sailed on Oceania for the first time. I regret to report here that the nightly dinner buffet was equal to, and in some cases better, than RCL's Specialty venues.

Good to know that paying more means better.

I always scratch my head when I read that people are disappointed with food at the WJ. What did you expect? It's a buffet. Since when is a buffet, on land or sea, ever good?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been to plenty of good buffets including in RCI Windjammers.

For the record, I am a longtime RCI fan.

It’s interesting that immediately following the OP’s post, the first few replies were from folks who probably were not on the OP’s cruise, but felt the quick summary was invalid. Cheerleading is great, but the immediate attack of an opinion weakens the benefit that Cruise Critic affords.

Look at the review section. There are 1-star reviews followed by 5-star reviews, and they all help to various extents. I tend to discount the outliers, just as I do the replies that seem to know better than the actual cruiser.

After 75-plus cruises, I’ve experienced mostly good, but an occasional not-so-good cruise on the same line.

Folks, the word “critic” is not negative. Please folks, allow and accept comments from all members. By all means, if you sailed on the same cruise, comment back. But if you didn’t.......

It’s interesting that immediately following the OP’s post, the first few replies were from folks who probably were not on the OP’s cruise, but felt the quick summary was invalid. Cheerleading is great, but the immediate attack of an opinion weakens the benefit that Cruise Critic affords.

Look at the review section. There are 1-star reviews followed by 5-star reviews, and they all help to various extents. I tend to discount the outliers, just as I do the replies that seem to know better than the actual cruiser.

After 75-plus cruises, I’ve experienced mostly good, but an occasional not-so-good cruise on the same line.

Folks, the word “critic” is not negative. Please folks, allow and accept comments from all members. By all means, if you sailed on the same cruise, comment back. But if you didn’t.......

Yep. We've all read enough reviews for every line on CC to know that one person's "I wouldn't feed that to my dog" is another's "Yeah, it was alright. Nothing special." and another's "Wow, I couldn't believe how good the food was!"

My husband and I had quite a different opinion of Oasis. We did Western, March 18-25. Had been on Allure twice previously. Had absolutely no wait for barbecue on Labadee. Was at Columbus Cove, so not sure if other areas were packed. It's funny, but we actually commented that there were TONS of staff everywhere! In the Solarium, it seemed like bar staff was walking by every minute or two asking if anyone wanted drinks! We also never had a problem getting room made up twice a day. We put the little sign in the door, so not sure if that helped, but our room steward was very responsive-got us extra towels and pillows when requested. I also was purposely looking for shabby carpet, etc, based on posts that I had read on CC and couldn't find any problems. I would highly recommend both Oasis and Allure to anyone!

It is just totally amazing to me that people who pay a lot of money for a cruise can't complain on CC without fear of getting flamed. And now I will get flamed for saying that. Just unbelievable sometimes.

I WILL NOT FLAME YOU but rather agree with your. After all this is Cruise CRITIC. :cool:

Interesting comments, thanks for sharing. If you aren't happy with Royal Caribbean, it only makes sense to move on to something that will meet your needs.

As the first person to reply to the OP, I would love to hear what I said that you feel is an attack of the OP and cheerleading.

Dont know why somebody would go on a cruise with 6,000 people and expect top notch service. Why anyone would go on one of these behemoths and call it a cruise is beyond me. This is not a ship, but just a floating amusement park. :eek:

Calling BS on the room not being made up by 5; this is just a "drive by shooting " review. Ignore it. Good day sir!

Are you calling the O.P. a liar? Were you there? Just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Frankly, food and service isn't as good as it used to be. We're also thinking about trying a more upscale line and we've been cruising on RCCL for 25 years..

7 sun-filled days, a great bunch from roll call, diving, ice, headliner shows all fantastic. Coffee an croissants in Central Park-always a Home Run!

Unfortunately:

Windjammer food totally devoid of any flavor

The ship was simply under-staffed. Wait for: food, drinks, cabin not cleaned until 5 PM twice, 1 hour 15 line for burgers and dogs at Labadee. Lines at guest services.

1/2 of our 115 member roll call complained about .....SERVICE. One gal, who has sailed OAS 5 times said "never again"!

So before the RC Cheerleaders flame me, We won`t sail RCL again.

WOW. Almost shocked by this post.

As you know, we were on the very same cruise with you - and had NONE of those negative experiences. In fact, it was a "10" for us in terms of service and food. Windjammer was fine. Labadee service and food was great. I didn't see that level of reported problems in the roll call thread - in fact - YOU posted that there was a lack of postings in that thread even before the cruise through the cruise time itself. I'd have to agree it was a non-typical quiet posting bunch...but that level of reported problems in service? Didn't read that...in fact...the two of us made up nearly 75% of all the posts. We had great service the whole cruise.

Sorry for your negative experiences. I guess there were not enough Volunteers aboard. :eek::cool:

It is just totally amazing to me that people who pay a lot of money for a cruise can't complain on CC without fear of getting flamed. And now I will get flamed for saying that. Just unbelievable sometimes.

What does it matter how much someone paid for a cruise:confused:

Newsflash for you, this is the internet and people come here to complain about everything and it doesn´t matter at all how much they paid for a cruise. It doesn´t even matter if they have taken a cruise.

There´s at least one poster on here with a multi ten thousand post count who has never been out of her basement nor having ever set foot on a cruise ship.:eek:

WOW. Almost shocked by this post.

As you know, we were on the very same cruise with you - and had NONE of those negative experiences. In fact, it was a "10" for us in terms of service and food. Windjammer was fine. Labadee service and food was great. I didn't see that level of reported problems in the roll call thread - in fact - YOU posted that there was a lack of postings in that thread even before the cruise through the cruise time itself. I'd have to agree it was a non-typical quiet posting bunch...but that level of reported problems in service? Didn't read that...in fact...the two of us made up nearly 75% of all the posts. We had great service the whole cruise.

Sorry for your negative experiences. I guess there were not enough Volunteers aboard. :eek::cool:

Did you have access to the cabana buffet? I have been to Labadee many times and I would never describe the food there as great.

Labadee food has always been just what I have expected. Gourmet? No. Satisfying beach food, YES.

Not sure what you expected. It is not a Maine cooked to order clambake with lobsters and steamers, and I would not expect it.

Please just enjoy the sun, sand, water, and some basic beach food.

Edited by gdy0354
Spelling