Check-in process in Galveston

KatieCharlotte

I haven't cruised since check-in times were imposed. We're cruising out of Galveston and have 11:30 a.m. check-in. From what I've read, the earliest time for the Freedom is 11 a.m. -- if you don't book last-minute like we did. I'm not thrilled with check-in times, but I was relieved to get a decent time. I just have some questions.

Are there separate lines if you arrive during your time or earlier/later? Is there a short grace period? If we ask for a taxi from our hotel at checkout (11 a.m.), the taxi is on-time, and we arrive at the port at 11:15 a.m., do we hand off our suitcases and get in the on-time line, get in the early line, or stand around for ten minutes?

Also, what time does non-priority boarding usually start for the Freedom? Can we expect to move pretty quickly from entering the terminal, checking in, and hearing our number called? (I have members of my party who need to know what to expect.) Thanks!

A small port like Galveston and Freedom being the ship, it might move pretty quickly and you might be able to get right on at 11:30.

But just go with the flow and arrive at your time and you will have no problem.

If I remember right, you can drop of your bags at the East end of the terminal. Then you may have to wait to get into the terminal (west end) until your time comes up. I don't remember any seperate lines (Early, or late- no such thing) but I did see people just sitting around outside. I assumed they were waiting for their time. I was Platinum, so I went right in (sorry, not rubbing it in).

Don't know when non-priority starts. I was gong on the Breeze. It all depends on when the ship gets cleared of passengers getting off, how many D,P & FTTF have to get processed, and then they will start general check-in. Boarding might be a little wait from that, but it will go quickly. That's the idea of staggered check-in.

I know it's hard to be patient, but that's what has to be done. Everyone will be on and in their cabin by 1:30 if they so desire. Just be patient and enjoy your vacation with less stress knowing that a few hours don't really make that much of a difference

My traveling group has some unique circumstances that make patience a bit more challenging on this cruise. It helps to know what to expect.

I'm over halfway to platinum, so someday I will be going right in too. :D

Is FTTF available for your sailing? It lets you check in whenever you want and gives you priority boarding. I know there are varied opinions on it, but we like it.

We have never sailed out of Galveston without it. BUT we are also always early birds, so we always have some waiting to do. I'd rather wait at the port to board than at our hotel room because I'm just always nervous and want to know we have checked in, have all of our important documents, etc. So I prepared our family when they went with us, that our option was to wait and go to the port a little later, or have some wait there. If they weren't ok with waiting, I would have gone out to breakfast or something and then gone to the port after boarding had started.

In Galveston, we usually board by 11:30 or 12.

Oh and Breeze has the new no card at check in deal. I don’t know if freedom has that or not. Last year when I was on freedom I got there around noon and the lines were a nightmare. Took over an hour to get on the ship.

I was just about to ask basically the same question! Has anyone who's gone out of Galveston on Carnival lately seen or been turned away for getting there too early?

Last May, we went on the Magic out of Port Canaveral but got on the ship pretty quickly because my Aunt was wheeled on.

Then in Oct, we went out of LA on Princess. I think we had like a 1pm boarding time or something but we showed up around 10am and there was no problem getting in the building and checking in. We did wait a while to board (like 45 minutes I think) but that doesn't matter to us.

For this cruise, we're driving in the morning of the cruise from SA. I think we'll plan to get there early just in case there's traffic.

Also, we're not Platinum and there's no FTTF for our cruise.

Galveston is very strict on check in times ,, You will pass thru 3 to 5 Carnival employees who will want to look at your boarding pass and check in time , To early and they will turn you away

What is the earliest time those with FTTF can show up at Galveston’s port?

What is the earliest time those with FTTF can show up at Galveston’s port?

They usually open the doors for check in around 10 AM ,,, Weddings , Diamonds and Platiums board before FTTF , Usually start boarding 10:45 to 11 AM

My traveling group has some unique circumstances that make patience a bit more challenging on this cruise. It helps to know what to expect.

I'm over halfway to platinum, so someday I will be going right in too. :D

You mind if I ask what the specific challenges are?

My experience on my last 2x Valor cruises was that we had 10:30 Checkin was the earliest and still had to wait to be boarded. Had to wait on Diamond/Plat/FTTF and then Group 1 could go. Boarding didn't start until 11:30, so did make it on by 11:45 or so but still didn't even start boarding til 11:30 so I think you're in the sweet spot. Our next trip in May the earliest I could get was 12:00, and everything I am reading it looks like it will be a walk right on, so sounds good to me!

Galveston is very strict on check in times ,, You will pass thru 3 to 5 Carnival employees who will want to look at your boarding pass and check in time , To early and they will turn you away

You are not actually turned away, but you are placed in a line of people who arrived ahead of their check in time. They are pretty strict about letting you in the terminal until it is the time noted on your boarding pass. No point in getting there early because you won't get in the terminal and will have to wait outside. Not good in the Texas summers!

Just got off the Valor Thursday. We had 10-10:30 time. We got there 15 minutes early and were directed to start lining up. The people in front of us had 11-11:30 and 1-1:30 times. I thought we might be in the wrong line so asked and was told they will sort it out when you go into the terminal. Bottom line is those people were not turned away at any point for being early and they also got on the ship before me.

Can someone tell me the earliest arrival time for the Breeze? When we booked the earliest available was 11:30. I really like the flexibility of FTTF, but it has not come available for our July sailing.

I have 10:00-10:30 April 15th