What Extra " Food" Do You Take On Board?

janny444

No sweets on our long Aurora cruise starting in January. We always take at least 2 bottles of Squash - found out that 2 bottles wasn't enough for 65 nights and it seems impossible to get it abroad, at least not in the countries we were visiting. I usually take some biscuits, my husband loves shortbread and some plain ones. The P&O ones are useless, most of them are already broken before you open the packet. If I go on a long cruise again I will certainly take a bottle of my favourite salad dressing. I found the food to be well cooked, well presented but very bland and on a long cruise I really missed having more flavour in my food. I will also take some coffee, I don't like the Dowe Egberts in the cabin. We tend to pick up some crisps when we are in port to have with pre dinner drinks. The only ones they have on board are Kettle Crisps and Pringles and both are expensive.

Need to have decaf stuff so always take some Yorkshire decaf teabags for a proper brew or sometimes the M&S ones.

Apart from that we sometimes take loads of chocolates with us as we tend to save the ones left from Christmas or Easter and pig out on the ship ;-)

Oh, have always taken a 3 litre box of vino but no more as we will be good and abide by the new rules

Not long for us to go now ---- Oceana is on her way to Malta to pick us up !!!

We are going on the 8th to canaries and bought a box of wine ,where in your luggage do you put it??Also if taking bottle of gin is that hand luggage ??

We are going on the 8th to canaries and bought a box of wine ,where in your luggage do you put it??Also if taking bottle of gin is that hand luggage ??

What size is the box of wine...is the drink allowance not limited to 1 litre per person but of course there may be more than 2 of you going.

The box is equal to 3bottles and a litre of gin each can we take mixers separate??

Unless there are 4 of you, you are exceeding the 2 litre limit. My advice is to take the wine 2.1 litres, and buy gin from the room service menu and it will be delivered to your cabin. Choice is fairly limited but it is not expensive.

Fruit squash / Touch of Fruit / Coca Cola

Pringles

Cereal bars

Toblerone for the crew (they can't get enough of it, irrespective of the cruise line)

After seeing that staff who go ashore come back with snacks and drinks I have wondered about taking some little bits to pass onto them. I just don't know how you would pass them over without causing bother for the staff. I would like to give out bits to the likes of the cleaners and deck hands etc. What do you say when you hand them over?

I take some sweets and chocolate. I did take Typhoo green tea blend (green and black together) teabags, but they have stopped selling them now.

After seeing that staff who go ashore come back with snacks and drinks I have wondered about taking some little bits to pass onto them. I just don't know how you would pass them over without causing bother for the staff. I would like to give out bits to the likes of the cleaners and deck hands etc. What do you say when you hand them over?

I take some sweets and chocolate. I did take Typhoo green tea blend (green and black together) teabags, but they have stopped selling them now.

I am not trying to be offensive to you but I think if you started giving staff bits of snacks etc some may see it as being patronising and offering charity even though you don’t intend it to be.

I am not trying to be offensive to you but I think if you started giving staff bits of snacks etc some may see it as being patronising and offering charity even though you don’t intend it to be.

You are right that is not my intention, it would have been more of a friendly gesture in my mind. I doubt that I could have passed them over and feel comfortable doing so. Best to forget that idea.

I know about the Toblerone because "Tartanexile81" and I both work as volunteers at our local port. It took me a couple of years to ask some crew members about the huge quantities of Toblerone that were bought in the local pound shop. Apparently, in the countries where the vast majority of cabin staff, waiters, butlers etc come from on most cruise lines, Toblerone is considered the royalty of chocolate - whereas, in the UK it's considered relatively ordinary. They love eating it, and taking it home with them.

Apart from buying personal items such as toiletries ashore, the crew also buy a lot of Coca Cola (as presumably it can be more expensive to get on board for them, just like it is for us passengers) and clothes from Superdry (although that may just be up here, as the Scottish "summer" can come as a bit of a shock!).

I had a chat with my cabin steward last year about the general love of Toblerone, and she laughed and agreed. At the end of the cruise, I left her a thank you note and tip in an envelope and a large bar of Toblerone.

We take mixers (of course!) for our pre-dinner drink on the balcony. We also take Cheddars and Pringles for the same reason. The only other 'food' is Fox's Glacier Fruits and and Mints.

Going back to the crew's favourite shop, there is no doubt IMO it is Victoria's Secret - the food of love :')?

We take mixers (of course!) for our pre-dinner drink on the balcony. We also take Cheddars and Pringles for the same reason. The only other 'food' is Fox's Glacier Fruits and and Mints.

Going back to the crew's favourite shop, there is no doubt IMO it is Victoria's Secret - the food of love :')?

On a recent cruise on Oriana, there was a dish of Glacier Fruits in the cabin instead of the very small fruit flavoured sweets they normally provide. Only time will tell whether this was a mini suite perk or something they are going to roll out across the fleet. Hopefully the latter.

On a recent cruise on Oriana, there was a dish of Glacier Fruits in the cabin instead of the very small fruit flavoured sweets they normally provide. Only time will tell whether this was a mini suite perk or something they are going to roll out across the fleet. Hopefully the latter.

Certainly wasn't the case on Ventura in Feb / March. No sweets :(

Certainly wasn't the case on Ventura in Feb / March. No sweets :(

I am sure we had them on Ventura in January. As we never eat them we would not have missed them at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums