Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
VCUSkyhawk

Cheers package

Recommended Posts

I was wondering if anybody knew the answer to this as I didn't see anything on Carnival. If you are doing a double occupancy room with a minor do they still require you to person one for you and the minor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't cruise in years so I am still learning new things.. So if there are 2 people in a room both people must purchase the drink package?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I haven't cruise in years so I am still learning new things.. So if there are 2 people in a room both people must purchase the drink package?

Both or neither

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was wondering if anybody knew the answer to this as I didn't see anything on Carnival. If you are doing a double occupancy room with a minor do they still require you to person one for you and the minor?

The minor is not allowed to purchase the Cheers package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The minor is not allowed to purchase the Cheers package.

 

So in this case I would be able to purchase one just for me? I hate that they force couples to purchase two when one may not be a drinker or would drink very little. Good to know, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One person in a cabin can purchase Cheers only if everyone else in that cabin age 21 or over also purchases it.

 

Cabin mates 20 and younger do not have to purchase the non-alcoholic Bottomless Bubbles or any other package and are prohibited from purchasing Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So in this case I would be able to purchase one just for me? I hate that they force couples to purchase two when one may not be a drinker or would drink very little. Good to know, thanks!

Yep, just one Cheers package for the cabin. You can get the young'un a Bottomless Bubbles if you want to be drinking buddies :D.

 

I hate the policy also. Especially if there is a good reason (one passenger has a medical reason, alcoholism, etc.) It's like Carnival has admitted "we know you are going to share, and we can't trust you"... I am sure they are losing potential business this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It's like Carnival has admitted "we know you are going to share, and we can't trust you"

 

 

...but they are right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
...but they are right.

 

Only to some degree. There are plenty out there who wouldn't. I know that my wife would only have 1 drink a day or so. So for them to force her to buy a package if I want it is a bit absurd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yep, just one Cheers package for the cabin. You can get the young'un a Bottomless Bubbles if you want to be drinking buddies :D.

 

I hate the policy also. Especially if there is a good reason (one passenger has a medical reason, alcoholism, etc.) It's like Carnival has admitted "we know you are going to share, and we can't trust you"... I am sure they are losing potential business this way.

 

...but they are right.

 

But the question is, how much more money would they get from those who could by cheers as an individual? Are they losing more money from these potential customers, or from those that would share?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Only to some degree. There are plenty out there who wouldn't.

 

 

 

....but as a business owner I'm aware that even at an abuse rate of 20% it can easily turn one of my my profitable programs into a loser. My bet is it is the same for them and the profit margin simply won't hold up to even 1 in 4 gaming the system. Restaurant and bar profit margins simply aren't that high especially when we are talking about drink inclusive program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
But the question is' date=' how much more money would they get from those who could by cheers as an individual? Are they losing more money from these potential customers, or from those that would share?[/quote']

 

Probably not much because it isn't like the person either buys the package or can't drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if two people in a cabin have to buy Cheers, they can still share. For example, a large family group sails in multiple cabins, but only one cabin buys Cheers. The people with Cheers get drinks and hand them to other family members. Seems like Carnival is saying "we know this is happening, and all we are going to do about it is make everyone in the cabin buy the package."

 

Maybe this solves 80% of the sharing problem and they let the other 20% go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Probably not much because it isn't like the person either buys the package or can't drink.

In my case, either I buy the package or I smuggle. So yes, they are losing revenue with this policy. Question is, so they make up the losses by selling more alcohol overall? Who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Even if two people in a cabin have to buy Cheers, they can still share. For example, a large family group sails in multiple cabins, but only one cabin buys Cheers. The people with Cheers get drinks and hand them to other family members. Seems like Carnival is saying "we know this is happening, and all we are going to do about it is make everyone in the cabin buy the package."

 

Maybe this solves 80% of the sharing problem and they let the other 20% go?

 

Yeah, and that was kind of my thinking in starting this thread. I am interested in getting the package, but my wife wont use it. On our next cruise it will be Myself, my wife, daughter (underage), and my Mother. If I book it so that my wife is in with my mother, but my daughter is with me, I can actually buy the package without being forced to waste money on a 2nd package that wouldn't be used well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Even if two people in a cabin have to buy Cheers, they can still share. For example, a large family group sails in multiple cabins, but only one cabin buys Cheers. The people with Cheers get drinks and hand them to other family members. Seems like Carnival is saying "we know this is happening, and all we are going to do about it is make everyone in the cabin buy the package."

 

Maybe this solves 80% of the sharing problem and they let the other 20% go?

 

 

From a business sense you control what you can control. I have programs and services I offer in my business that I know are misused at my expense in certain scenarios. However, I do what I can to control what could be more widespread abuse that would simply kill the entire program.

 

Simply put many service based industries, especially food and beverage, run off profit margins well below 20%. There is huge overhead surrounding the industry. It doesn't take much misuse by theft of product and lost potential profits to shift you from black to red.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was wondering if anybody knew the answer to this as I didn't see anything on Carnival. If you are doing a double occupancy room with a minor do they still require you to person one for you and the minor?

 

From the first paragraph on Carnival's site (FAQ Section) about Cheers!

 

CHEERS! is an all-inclusive beverage program that allows guests to enjoy a wide range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages by paying a flat daily rate. Guests must be 21 or older to purchase CHEERS! and each adult assigned to the same stateroom must purchase the program. If you are not interested in alcoholic beverages, try our Bottomless Bubbles package for unlimited soda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Even if two people in a cabin have to buy Cheers, they can still share. For example, a large family group sails in multiple cabins, but only one cabin buys Cheers. The people with Cheers get drinks and hand them to other family members. Seems like Carnival is saying "we know this is happening, and all we are going to do about it is make everyone in the cabin buy the package."

 

Maybe this solves 80% of the sharing problem and they let the other 20% go?

 

This is exactly why they probably set a 15 alcoholic drink limit. They probably still make money on the package even if the purchaser hit the 15 drink limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
But the question is' date=' how much more money would they get from those who could by cheers as an individual? Are they losing more money from these potential customers, or from those that would share?[/quote']

They won't loose anything, the majority of them will just pay by the drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
From the first paragraph on Carnival's site (FAQ Section) about Cheers!

 

Thank you Keys, that is exactly what I was looking for. I must have missed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, and that was kind of my thinking in starting this thread. I am interested in getting the package, but my wife wont use it. On our next cruise it will be Myself, my wife, daughter (underage), and my Mother. If I book it so that my wife is in with my mother, but my daughter is with me, I can actually buy the package without being forced to waste money on a 2nd package that wouldn't be used well.

 

You have it figured out exactly how to do it. And is perfectly within Carnival's guidelines/rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is exactly why they probably set a 15 alcoholic drink limit. They probably still make money on the package even if the purchaser hit the 15 drink limit.

 

 

Probably not. On a program such as that you base profitability off of the averages. You may break even or even lose money on the guy who drinks 15 top shelf martinis and you make money on the guy who drinks 7 beers. You determine what your overall per consumer average cost is for the group and price it so you meet your desired profit margin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Probably not. On a program such as that you base profitability off of the averages. You may break even or even lose money on the guy who drinks 15 top shelf martinis and you make money on the guy who drinks 7 beers. You determine what your overall per consumer average cost is for the group and price it so you meet your desired profit margin

 

 

 

I meant that they had to put a limit on the alcoholic drinks per person because of the sharing that can occur with people not sharing a cabin. They obviously picked the number 15 because somehow it made financial sense to them.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure they've done quite a lot of running the numbers on this. And I'm sure they've established rules and price points that maximize their profit. That's what businesses do. They KNOW there will be abuses, and they know there will be smugglers. But the rules and the price are established based on where they calculate the equilibrium to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...