Pride of America - July 7, 2018

jes04

You picked the absolutely best cruise and the best way to see the islands.

Hawaii is a 6 hour time difference from home. We would strongly recommend arriving a few days before your cruise to work off the jet lag and get adjusted to "Hawaiian Time". The NCL pre-cruise hotel, Marriott Waikiki, is in the heart of Waikiki and a only a couple of blocks from the beach.

Looking forward to cruising the Hawaiian Islands for the first time!

POA is a great cruise. We prefer doing our own thing so we rented a car in every port. We were off the ship every day from after breakfast through the rest of the day...often didn't come back until after dinner for sail away.

Now our only problem is that DW wants to go back to Maui, I want to go back to Kauai.

"Now our only problem is that DW wants to go back to Maui, I want to go back to Kauai."

VideoTech, what did you guys do in each port? We have an idea of Maui, but still working on Kauai. There's too much I want to do on Kauai!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

"Now our only problem is that DW wants to go back to Maui, I want to go back to Kauai."

VideoTech, what did you guys do in each port? We have an idea of Maui, but still working on Kauai. There's too much I want to do on Kauai!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

If you look in the signature on my post, there are links to my review of the POA and to the Hawaii rental car information I posted.

However, I didn't write a lot about what we specifically did in each island - here's a brief recap:

Maui: First day - drove to Lahaina. Spent some time there, then drove on around the NW shoreline back around to Kahului, stopping at a blow hole and some other scenic points. Second Day: Road to Hana. Had intended to drive on around the island, possibly stopping at the Sacred Pools, but found the road to Hana took longer than we thought (very twisty and slow due to traffic) so we ended up going back the way we came. Did find the most beautiful little place off the road though, Waialohe point.

Hilo, Hawaii: drove and toured Volcanoes National Park.

Kona, Hawaii: Visited the National Historic Park, then DW took it easy on the ship and I did some snorkeling.

Kauai day one: Drove Waimea Canyon, did Smith's Family Luau in the evening. Day two, shopping and beach day.

Of course, since we were in our own car everywhere, there was plenty of shopping, stops for Shave Ice, and some great meals. There were many other places on the islands that we would have loved to have gone (including either a sunrise or sunset up at Haleakala on Maui) but we simply didn't have the time...thus the discussion about which island we want to go back to!

Go back to both!! We just did a land trip where we spent a week on the Big Island and 5 days on Oahu (we had done previous land trip to Maui). The inter-island flights on Hawaiian airlines are fairly cheap, AND run on time! I think it cost us like $50 each to fly from Big Island to Oahu. We also stayed in condo type accomodations through Hilton, so our room had a full kitchen, which was great for breakfast, we made our own, packed a few picnic lunches and a few days where we ran ourselves ragged, we came back to room and cooked frozen pizza in oven. Was a great relaxing trip, and it was so much fun grocery shopping there! Just my two cents lol

I seriously could live there, get a job at the big VA hospital...we've talked quite frequently about it, especially if Navy daughter gets stationed there.