New UPDATED Cruise Director (CD) List - starting from April 2018 onwards

I sort of wish he could be on SY, TBH. Considering he is one of the best, I think he is being wasted on Rhapsody, as it is a small ship with a port intensive itinerary.
"Wasted"....lol

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

"Wasted"....lol

Small ship = less guests.

Port intensive itinerary = less sea days and therefore less time at events and with guests.

Small ship = less guests.

Port intensive itinerary = less sea days and therefore less time at events and with guests.

I was told by Abe that he had to spend twice as much time in his office being CD on Harmony than Brilliance. Smaller ships with less redtape = more time with guest.

I was told by Abe that he had to spend twice as much time in his office being CD on Harmony than Brilliance. Smaller ships with less redtape = more time with guest.

I know that there is a lot more office time, but remember that being in port and only having one sea day means that the CD can't spend much time front of house as the guests are off doing tours most of the day. Different if it is a TA or the Baltic cruises that Abe is doing on BR (12 days with 4 sea days).

As for Abe - I hope to see him on a larger ship again soon, although I have heard that he is enjoying the itineraries on Brilliance (which are fantastic).

I know that there is a lot more office time, but remember that being in port and only having one sea day means that the CD can't spend much time front of house as the guests are off doing tours most of the day. Different if it is a TA or the Baltic cruises that Abe is doing on BR (12 days with 4 sea days).
I just don't feel the word "wasted" fits the situation.

I just don't feel the word "wasted" fits the situation.

Personally, the port intensive cruises are best for the CD's that really don't have any impact and are low energy. Same for an itinerary such as Asia or a market that gears to an older clientele (e.g. a one way Alaska sailing). The Caribbean sailings, Australia sailings and the long cruises with many sea days (e.g. 12 or 14 day Europe cruise) really need a dynamic CD.

OK everybody - That's me ready to head to Barcelona for 2 weeks on Symphony! Hoping to have a fantastic experience and that Michele is great. With the Voom WiFi, I will still be updating the list, although my replies may not be as fast as normal.

OK everybody - That's me ready to head to Barcelona for 2 weeks on Symphony! Hoping to have a fantastic experience and that Michele is great. With the Voom WiFi, I will still be updating the list, although my replies may not be as fast as normal.

Michele should be great! Sailed with him on Allure in 2015 when he was the AM. I remember thinking, this guy will get promoted for sure! And I was right! Enjoy Symphony, can’t wait to hear how you like it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Michele should be great! Sailed with him on Allure in 2015 when he was the AM. I remember thinking, this guy will get promoted for sure! And I was right! Enjoy Symphony, can’t wait to hear how you like it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Michele was my AM on AL in 2015 but I can't remember anything. His CD was Jerome, who I wish was still with Royal due to his language skills. I'll try and speak to him in order to see how I could get to CD myself. Also wondering where he will be going after his vacation as pretty much any other ship would feel like a demotion after launching the newest and largest.

Marc Walker just announced he will be on Liberty from July 15 - Nov 15 as CD. I’m sooooo excited!

He also said that there were a lot of changes -- I wonder what that means. It will be interesting to see who will now be the CD on the President's Cruise.

Marc Walker just announced he will be on Liberty from July 15 - Nov 15 as CD. I’m sooooo excited!

Wow. I feel sorry for Marc as Symphony was his first opportunity in 17 years as CD to do the inaugurals on a new ship whereas Liberty over a decade old and has not had a refurb. HM & SY are also in Florida, while LB is in Texas, so he will be away from his daughters for an entire 4 months.

I'm boarding SY tomorrow - will ask Michele who is replacing him and who is now doing the US inaugurals. I heard that there were a lot of changes, I hope that they changed the CD for the rest of SY's Med season and TA so that Michele gets a great replacement when he heads for vacation.

Edited by Joe12

Wow. I feel sorry for Marc as Symphony was his first opportunity in 17 years as CD to do the inaugurals on a new ship whereas Liberty over a decade old and has not had a refurb. HM & SY are also in Florida, while LB is in Texas, so he will be away from his daughters for an entire 4 months.

I'm boarding SY tomorrow - will ask Michele who is replacing him and who is now doing the US inaugurals. I heard that there were a lot of changes, I hope that they changed the CD for the rest of SY's Med season and TA so that Michele gets a great replacement when he heads for vacation.

Wasn't Liberty refurbished a couple of years ago

I hate he will be away from family, too. Maybe they can come and sail a week with him before school starts. It also means he’s off from Nov 15 through the holidays so he’s actually at home for Christmas with his wife and girls. He’s VERY glad.

Obviously, you haven’t kept up with Liberty. She underwent a massive refurb in 2016, and her pool areas and kiddie areas are as nice as newer ships. She has slides and is the only ship with Tidal Wave. They even replaced the floor tile in the promenade. So, yes, it’s updated.

Folks from Galveston are great to cruise with so he should have a good time.

I hate he will be away from family, too. Maybe they can come and sail a week with him before school starts. It also means he’s off from Nov 15 through the holidays so he’s actually at home for Christmas with his wife and girls. He’s VERY glad.

Obviously, you haven’t kept up with Liberty. She underwent a massive refurb in 2016, and her pool areas and kiddie areas are as nice as newer ships. She has slides and is the only ship with Tidal Wave. They even replaced the floor tile in the promenade. So, yes, it’s updated.

Folks from Galveston are great to cruise with so he should have a good time.

His daughters are still young, so not sure if they would fly to Texas. That's the tough part of working on ships - being away from family. That's why Marc stayed at Canaveral for so long and has still spent most time in Florida.

I know that LB has had a good refurb back in 2016, but what I meant was that she hasn't been Amplified and made to look new like Indy and Mariner. They literally look new now. Having said that, I want to give LB and TX a try.

Those refurbs were done this year. None of the other ships that are updated have that. You know that Texas is less than a 2 hour flight from central Florida?

CDs generally are gone from home some, Marc included. It’s part of the job. I don’t know Marc’s feelings about not being on Symphony’s inaugural sailings in the US. Many CDs would be relieved, I think.

With Liberty having been refurbished in 2016 she is now cosmetically the same age as Harmony. And much of the amplification that was done to Mariner and Independence has little to do with the cruise director's job day to day. After 17 years in the position I doubt schedule changes come as a surprise to Marc.

Those refurbs were done this year. None of the other ships that are updated have that. You know that Texas is less than a 2 hour flight from central Florida?

CDs generally are gone from home some, Marc included. It’s part of the job. I don’t know Marc’s feelings about not being on Symphony’s inaugural sailings in the US. Many CDs would be relieved, I think.

Relieved.....most likely!

Most CD's I've talked to don't want to be assigned to Oasis class. I'm that way too.

Relieved.....most likely!

Most CD's I've talked to don't want to be assigned to Oasis class. I'm that way too.

One man's meat is another man's poison. One CD doesn't not like Oasis Class, the other might. You do not like them, but I do. I can guarantee you that some CD's do enjoy it. Marc seemed to enjoy his stint on HM. I can imagine it being fun for a fill in, although being permanent on one for several contracts would be quite taxing. If I was a CD, I would want to do it.

Joe - boarding Symphony in 15 hours and having sailed all 3 sisters as well.