SausPud

What Ship and where are you going Summer 2019?

Firstly, thought I would start this new thread to replace the "Don't book with Marella...etc" one.

So we can post positive statements on what we friendly people are doing over Summer 2019.

I know you can't book anything until 5th April 2018 but we have to start somewhere, and as I already have a brochure and have been answering questions in Summer 2019? thread, I thought this new one would be better for posting what we are upto rather than asking questions on "What ship is where?, doing what ports of call? etc"

Better title too, like it :)

For longer cruises I am going to look at Explorer for Norway/Iceland etc and maybe Explorer2 or Discovery for an early autumn cruise, might slip a week one in as well :D

I'm thinking of doing Discovery 2 in July in the Med.

looking at explorer for this october , and want to book cruise and stay in may and october 2019 when it goes on sale

All cruises and stays go on sale 5th April 2018 for Summer 2019.

The new brochure has the stay hotels in it as well.

I'd like us to try one of the Asia cruises next year if budgets permit, otherwise maybe we'll finally get around to doing a Baltic itinerary - it's been on the list for a long time!

Really fancying Asia but think we will wait for some reviews before taking the plunge!

Really fancying Asia but think we will wait for some reviews before taking the plunge!

Hi iam not being pessimistic but do you think these asian cruises will be for ever like the Caribbean or is it testing the water, like the the Dubai cruise witch became a flop, and one season only, but notice P.O are giving it a try with Oceana will have to wait and see. were else could they go.

Firstly, thought I would start this new thread to replace the "Don't book with Marella...etc" one.

So we can post positive statements on what we friendly people are doing over Summer 2019.

I know you can't book anything until 5th April 2018 but we have to start somewhere, and as I already have a brochure and have been answering questions in Summer 2019? thread, I thought this new one would be better for posting what we are upto rather than asking questions on "What ship is where?, doing what ports of call? etc"

Hi Saus pud

one more thing, if Sky Sea golden era has finished with her chinese operators and is given back to R.C. I 2nd of september 2018 say one month for a big refit, that means seven months stood idle i see something else in the very near future is going to happen its a long time to be idle what do you think.

Hi Saus pud

one more thing, if Sky Sea golden era has finished with her Chinese operators and is given back to R.C. I 2nd of September 2018 say one month for a big refit, that means seven months stood idle I see something else in the very near future is going to happen its a long time to be idle what do you think.

I was understanding that she was being transformed in the new year (2019) but the refit and in-service time frame is around 3 months. It won't take that long unless there is major work to be done. We can only speculate at this stage until she leaves service and sees what happens.

As this ship wasn't the planned one, but the Germans have demanded to keep Mein Schiff 2, so there is a "dead" change over period and I think she will sit longer in dry dock/port than be in service early.

I believe that the refit planned with new verandah area added instead of kids clubs will take 4 weeks to carry out.

Not even been on our first cruise yet (Discovery, magnificent fjords, july 2018) but I am sure we will love it- so im interested in seeing what cruises are leaving from Southampton summer 19. Not really a fan of airports so leaving from a British port is ideal.

Not even been on our first cruise yet (Discovery, magnificent fjords, july 2018) but I am sure we will love it- so im interested in seeing what cruises are leaving from Southampton summer 19. Not really a fan of airports so leaving from a British port is ideal.

**** WARNING ****

You will be hooked on cruising after the first week and won't want to do any other type of holiday.

as for your summer cruise, all questions and answers are available in this thread

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2598652

so please ask your question in there. Thank you.

**** WARNING ****

You will be hooked on cruising after the first week and won't want to do any other type of holiday.

We were told this when we did our first cruise and it's true we are hooked! However we still love other holidays as well as holidays in the good old UKclear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Popped into the TA this morning to pick up a brochure, went to Costa for a coffee, looked at the brochure, went back to the TA, booked Lands of Fire & Ice, Explorer from Newcastle 27 July 2019 :D

Popped into the TA this morning to pick up a brochure, went to Costa for a coffee, looked at the brochure, went back to the TA, booked Lands of Fire & Ice, Explorer from Newcastle 27 July 2019 :D

Well done, nice work my good man. But what cabin did you book and did you pick the number?

A lovely cruise that one and you will pass into the Arctic Circle on the evening sail on Day 4 after leaving port Akureyi. If this is your first time crossing, go to the pool deck party, if you have done it before then go and watch the others take part.

I'm all booked.

Discovery 2 - 3rd August Secrets of the Mediterranean & 10th August Cosmopolitan Classics (B2B) in an Executive Suite

Well done, nice work my good man. But what cabin did you book and did you pick the number?

A lovely cruise that one and you will pass into the Arctic Circle on the evening sail on Day 4 after leaving port Akureyi. If this is your first time crossing, go to the pool deck party, if you have done it before then go and watch the others take part.

Outside single deck 4/5, any one will do.

I will be out on deck a lot whale watching.

Outside single deck 4/5, anyone will do.

I will be out on deck a lot whale watching.

They are all the same, so anyone of them is great and no need for the £48 fee.

Also, you will deffo see Whales around day 5 evening and day 6 evening but not in Norway, but you never know.

Enjoy.

They are all the same, so anyone of them is great and no need for the £48 fee.

Also, you will deffo see Whales around day 5 evening and day 6 evening but not in Norway, but you never know.

Enjoy.

Saw Orca feeding on a bait ball not 100 yards from the ship as we cruised past. Thomson Spirit off the Lofoten Islands at around midnight. David Attenborough would be jealous :p

If no whales there might be Dolphins or seals or birds of all sorts.

For summer 2019 anywhere on any ship with flights from Scotland that don't have us arriving on the ship in the late evening and departing the ship very early in the morning and without extortionate flight supplements.

For winter 2019 Asia or the Caribbean if flights available from Scotland.

Otherwise different cruise line for us again.

For summer 2019 anywhere on any ship with flights from Scotland that don't have us arriving on the ship in the late evening and departing the ship very early in the morning and without extortionate flight supplements.

For winter 2019 Asia or the Caribbean if flights available from Scotland.

Otherwise different cruise line for us again.

Have you looked at the new brochure or online today?

Got our eye on Idyllic Italia

The only port I haven't done is Taranto in Italy and some people have said it's not good.

Picked up the new brochure today after visiting three different TAs. Staff saying brochures will be phased out all together in about 18 months time.

Further cutbacks on regional flights. Most repo cruises only available from Gatwick, Manchester and Birmingham.

Prices greatly increased for some itineraries.

With falling standards and cutbacks over the past few years we would now only book a Marella cruise if it was an absolute bargain price and an itinerary we really wanted to do. Better options out there.

Feeling sad as have cruised with Thomson for many, many years. Don't like the way Tui are going.

That's a shame hope you find a line that suit's we have never tried another line and still enjoy Thomson with all the cut backs so are reluctant to change especially after reading some of the posts on other lines it appears that they all are trying to reduce costs in an ever increasing market.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

We have also enjoyed all our Cruises with Thomson even with the very obvious cutbacks over the recent years. The staff are amazing but even they are struggling with staff shortages and feeling the strain. Some we have got to know over the years say it's difficult to try to keep on smiling and are thinking of quitting. So sorry for them.

The most important point for us continuing to be loyal to Thomson was that we could fly from our local airport. There's a lot less available from regional airports now. We would have loved to do the Asia cruises but travelling from Scotland to Gatwick, Manchester or Birmingham to join your flight is risky in the winter weather conditions.

If a plane load of passengers joining the ship and flying from any airport is delayed the ship will wait but if you are making your own way and are delayed on your way to an airport several hundred miles away and you miss your departure you are responsible. We can't control the weather and even allowing an extra day before your flight doesn't guarantee you will get there in time and the thought of the long journey back after the holiday is just as daunting. We had a bad experience several years ago and almost missed our flight from Manchester for our Caribbean cruise due to heavy snow the day before we travelled.

Can I ask has anyone cruised with Cruise and Maritime and what did they think of it compared with Thomson / Tui ?

Can I ask has anyone cruised with Cruise and Maritime and what did they think of it compared with Thomson / Tui?

I haven't cruised with C&M but have friends that have, they are in the Fred Olsen and early Thomson range of ships. Usual things great, like food, ports of call and staff. But their prices have also increased over the years.

So worth looking into but I won't sail with them due to no decent balcony cabins and since Marella have their bigger ships with loads more balcony cabin choices, I've booked my next cruise with them.

Thank you Sauspud.

Hoping to do at least one more Tui cruise this year then seriously considering C & M. We have been on F O and found the food, entertainment and service very good. Both sail from regional ports. We don't mind not having a balcony and we are not big drinkers so drinks package not really important. Only thing is we will miss so many members of the crew and entertainers on board Tui ships that we have got to know well over the years.

Perhaps Tui cutting back on regional flights is just what we needed to say goodbye Tui Marella and look forward to trying other lines.

I do see more Scottish people on Fred Olsen than on Marella, and it could be the reason why, lack of regional flights.

How are flights to ports with other airlines and other cruise lines? Is this a common problem for Scotland or is it just TUI doesn't want your business anymore?

not decided what do next year, got 2 booiked on d1 this year and the spirits final cruise

Made some really good friends (shipmates) on Celebration Summer 2016 and told them about our upcoming cruise next year. They have only gone and booked on our cruise as well. Happy times.

Made some really good friends (shipmates) on Celebration Summer 2016 and told them about our upcoming cruise next year. They have only gone and booked on our cruise as well. Happy times.
That's cruising [emoji2]

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Can I ask has anyone cruised with Cruise and Maritime and what did they think of it compared with Thomson / Tui ?

We still like Thomson/ Marella best, but have been once with Fred Olsen and twice with Cruise and Maritime. Of the two I preferred C&M- a more relaxed atmosphere on board with some lovely "old fashioned" touches like a gala midnight buffet/ deck party.

Also very good at providing free shuttles where necessary!

We found FO a bit "stuffy" with rigid dress codes and mealtimes that were certainly not organised for the convenience of passengers.