Best buffet food you ever had on a cruise, more so the Pride?

LongHill44

As a meat eater this is gonna sound crazy, but I actually really like a bunch of their salads. They come up with some really good ones.

Personal favorite is one they do with fennel, pineapple, ginger, and apple. Very good!

I can only comment on lunchtime. The Chinese buffet leaves a LOT to be desired. I would have picked Panda Express over the Chinese buffet.

At the deli: I tried the salmon bagel; the salmon was not fresh. The hot dog was too salty.

The best food on the 9th floor IMO is a tie between Guy's burgers(sans fries) and the taco salad.

As a meat eater this is gonna sound crazy, but I actually really like a bunch of their salads. They come up with some really good ones.

Personal favorite is one they do with fennel, pineapple, ginger, and apple. Very good!

I agree, I will get just a smidge of each one try them the go back and get a bowl of the one that I liked best. They had some kind of Thai noodle salad on the Ecstasy that was so good I ate 2 bowlfuls! :D

Most Carnival buffets are similar. The Chinese themes are also the same. Ships that have the Mongolian Wok are OK but there is always a long line and it moves slow.

The best buffet I ever experienced was on the Seabourn Legend. It was smaller but first rate. It better have been for the price of the cruise. :)

I also loved Azamara's buffets as well as the layout of Princess' buffets.

Celebrity had good food but I was never impressed with their buffets. My last two cruises on Millenium and Solstice really disappointed me in the food department.

Take care,

Mike

This was years ago on the NCL Pride of Hawaii in Hawaii. We were late one night getting to the MDR, so it was a 45 min wait for a table. ( POH is now the Jade in Europe IIRC. )

We went up to the Lido Deck. On NCL back then, they had separate stations of different types of food on the LIDO deck. Not sure if they still have this setup.

We went around the area and found the seafood station. The guy there was preparing a large grilled shrimp dish. There was nobody around, so it must have been for himself?:confused:

We asked and he prepared us "2 large buttery grilled shrimp plates" . There were some veggies etc. included as well.

We have never had anything on the Lido on any other ship that was as good, and cooked to order.:)

Edited by jwjax

Our kids have sailed with Mickey and loved it but cost was higher but not 2-3x higher. You often do get what you pay for.
Just for a quick 7 day comparison between the Disney Fantasy and the Carnival Magic' date=' both out of Port Canaveral in August going to Western Caribbean. Magic August 11. Inside 579, balcony 830. Fantasy Aug 4. Inside 2265, balcony 2557. Aug 18. inside 1966 balcony 2165.[/font']

You were correct in saying that you do get what you pay for and some people have never ending deep pockets to please their kids and grandkids, but you're blowing smoke if you don't think it's 2-3 times as much to sail on Disney. I'm sure there will be sticker shock when Disney comes out with their new ships in a few years, but the diehards will pay the prices anyway to please their little darlings.

Other than breakfast, which was fine, I managed to go 14 days avoiding the buffet altogether. Were I to cruise with Carnival again, I would only choose a ship with a Mongolian Wok.
Including the three ships that have a Jiji's, that would only be 10 out of the 26 in the fleet. Breeze, Dream, Freedom, Liberty, Magic, Splendor, Valor, Sunshine, Vista, Horizon.

Agree! Thought to get the recipe but forgot :(.

The Tandoor is consistently good. Carved meats are excellent, turkey, lamb and veal. Love the puddings-not American puddings but British steamed puddings (hot cakes) with sauce. The Apple one is good though my favorite is the Fig one.

Ruby Princess gets our vote for the lousiest buffet.

We eat opposite from most people. Breakfast in the MDR. Dinner in the buffet. Lunch depends on our mood (and ship schedule)

Nothing wrong with living within one's means is there?

Amen! and I totally agree!

It kills me the way people slam Carnival and act/talk like it is slumming it or something. I have cruised Royal once and would never go back because I felt like I was in a retirement home.

Haven't tried other lines because I choose Carnival for the fun and for value for sure - but not because I can't afford another line. There are other cruises that I could go on that would be similar in price, but I like the upbeat vibe on Carnival. While there are some groups of people who get on board that have no etiquette or manners, I think you are gonna find this anywhere.

And there isn't anything wrong with seeking value for your hard earned dollar. I am a professional businesswoman in my mid 40's with a 2000 sq foot house paid for in full, a muscle car in the garage and other toys paid for, and a nice nest egg put away..... got there by being smart with my money. It's also the reason I can cruise 3-4 times a year, go to Europe at least once a year, and all the other getaways.

I would rather pay $2000 for my cruise for 2 and do this 3 times a year then pop $5000 and go once... sorry but I am too down to earth and Carnival more than gives me my money's worth - I don't need someone kissing my feet

Ok, I will get off my soapbox now....

We did a B2b on the Conquest in Jan, and on the second formal nite (no lobster) we decided to eat in the buffet,,,,one nite they had steak, it was great, the other they had ribs, and they were great!

It's true that we are often pleasantly surprised by the evening offerings at the lido buffet. The carvery offers whole turkeys carved to order ( white, dark meat ) and the lamb and beef roasts tender and flavorful. Some nights you just aren't in the mood for the MDR and on Carnival we still enjoy a good meal.