Single thread - New website issues and discussions

canadarocks

If everyone did this, HAL would soon get the message from their employees, who now would have to do more work. Good idea!

Yep! That is the idea. If HAL's phone lines were busy from morning to night with people wanting to do just the basics, Specialty dining, excursions, on board items for your cabin, not to mention checking in online multiply all these items by how many days people are on cruises and I can see HAL deciding to straighten out their website in a hurry.!!!

Or there will be customers who are completely dissatisfied with the new website, and are unwilling to spend extended time on HAL's beleaguered phone line just to manage the most basic details of their cruise experience.

They will decide to seek out "consumer friendly" websites of other cruise lines, and quite likely find similar or superior itineraries to Holland America cruises that they had already booked or were considering booking.

That's exactly what I've done.

I get the old site on one search engine and the new on another.

Frankly, if I had to use the new one, I doubt I could do an itinerary on the Bon Voyage threads :(

As far as I am concerned, this roll out should have been rolled back (taken back), fixed and then brought back out when it was a good working website .

JMO. Anyone who chooses can bicker with me, but to me, websites need to be a tad user friendly :rolleyes:

I started a new thread with this info, but thought to also post it here... I was hoping the title starter on a new thread would catch people's' eye.

I had to reboot my iPad today, it froze and also decided to clear history (and probably cookies went with that) and that is when I "experienced" the new HAL site with the spinning circle of doom. I was looking up a specific cruise month and ship, and there were 2 results - BUT I could have gone on the cruise and been back home before that spinning circle would stop clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

I went to the chat section and the advice to get the OLD SITE (which THEY USE)is

http://www.hollandamerica.com?ASCookie=RSOrigin

So then I dropped the question, oh so you use the old site still also! Hmmm, interesting - what message should that send to us!

Anyway I hope this info helps some of those who were struggling with the new site - Sail comes to mind, but I am sure there are others.

I started a new thread with this info, but thought to also post it here... I was hoping the title starter on a new thread would catch people's' eye.

I had to reboot my iPad today, it froze and also decided to clear history (and probably cookies went with that) and that is when I "experienced" the new HAL site with the spinning circle of doom. I was looking up a specific cruise month and ship, and there were 2 results - BUT I could have gone on the cruise and been back home before that spinning circle would stop clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

I went to the chat section and the advice to get the OLD SITE (which THEY USE)is

So then I dropped the question, oh so you use the old site still also! Hmmm, interesting - what message should that send to us!

Anyway I hope this info helps some of those who were struggling with the new site - Sail comes to mind, but I am sure there are others.

THANK YOU for posting something helpful!

Thanks for posting this link. Clicked on it and went immediately to the old website. Was able to access my reservation ck my mariner status etc. It took 5 seconds! I am still shaking my head as to why would a company like HAL pay someone to screw up their customer website????

Seattle are you listening????

Thanks for reminding me that I was not a fan of the old site, either. However, the old site shows me the whole cruise on my screen, from name (e,g, "22-DAY SOUTH AMERICA & ANTARCTICA" to the fine print about pricing terms. I have to scroll to see all that info on the new site. A quick visit to the old site was unmarred by things sliding up, down, and over other things.

Just a heads up that there can be a disconnect on some of the pricing between the “old” site and the “new” one. Yesterday, the new site showed a price $800 more than what the old site showed on 1 cruise I have my eye on. I only saw this for one sailing and am assuming something just hadn’t been refreshed yet in the new system, but it may be that sales are posted a little sooner on the old site than the new one.

I was able to check my Mariner status this morning on the new site. It showed current status, Mariner number, total cruise day credits, cruise days, bonus cruise days, and credits until next star level. It did not show the cruises I've been on and the credits earned on each cruise.

I was able to check my Mariner status this morning on the new site. It showed current status, Mariner number, total cruise day credits, cruise days, bonus cruise days, and credits until next star level. It did not show the cruises I've been on and the credits earned on each cruise.

I'm so glad I pop into CC from time to time. Many thanks to those who gave a shout out to take a screen shot of the "old" Mariner status page.

While really what they're showing now is the most important info, it's a great walk down memory lane to see the various cruises listed. Just seeing how many credits we earned is a reminder of how full our itinerary was and how much fun we had. From here on I guess I'll just update my own record after each cruise.

I checked our mariner status today on the new site. The total number of cruise days of all my HAL cruises was correct but the total onboard & suite credit days was not (short changed by 5 credits compared to my records). I should be at 172 credits (cruise days + onboard spending credits + suite credits) buts shows as 167 credits.

Scrolling down I could see my cruise history and for each cruise the cruise days, onboard credits, suite credits for each cruise was messed up. It looks like they double counted the on-board spending days ie 7 night cruise with 4 onboard credits shows as 11 cruise days and 4 onboard credits for a total of 15 shown and reiterated in the total column for the cruise as 15 credits (should be 11 credits).

If I add up all the totals for each cruise I get 204 credits not 167, both of which are wrong. Their web site is still messed up. I received the standard e-mail saying they are having issues with their on-board credits being posted correctly.

It took me a while to discover that we are awarded cruise days (spednng) fr any gifts sent to us through HA L

If a TA sends a $45 bottle of wine, you get 45 days credit. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I checked our mariner status today on the new site. The total number of cruise days of all my HAL cruises was correct but the total onboard & suite credit days was not (short changed by 5 credits compared to my records). I should be at 172 credits (cruise days + onboard spending credits + suite credits) buts shows as 167 credits.

Scrolling down I could see my cruise history and for each cruise the cruise days, onboard credits, suite credits for each cruise was messed up. It looks like they double counted the on-board spending days ie 7 night cruise with 4 onboard credits shows as 11 cruise days and 4 onboard credits for a total of 15 shown and reiterated in the total column for the cruise as 15 credits (should be 11 credits).

If I add up all the totals for each cruise I get 204 credits not 167, both of which are wrong. Their web site is still messed up. I received the standard e-mail saying they are having issues with their on-board credits being posted correctly.

You could see your cruise history on the new site? All I'm getting is the totals. If I scroll down I get the explanation of how credits work and then the form to email them. No cruise history. The total number of cruise day credits is correct. The number of actual days sailed is correct. The actual days and bonus days shown do not add up to the total number of cruise day credits. And, to make it worse, their bonus day number does not equal my suite bonus total or my onboard spending total. It's less than either number.

So now that I've seen the new and wonderful web site, I have some comments.

The pictures are pretty.

The search is missing some data. I tried to find a Maasdam Alaska cruise by searching Maasdam in June. I selected June 2019 and couldn't click on Maasdam. I had to use only Maasdam as a filter and then scroll through all the cruises to find the one I wanted. Scrolling through cruises on a search is a PITA because the maps are so big. You can't make comparisons at a glance. Also, the dates are small and you have to click to get a popup window to see other dates for the cruise.

But the big maps have pretty images with them.

When you make dummy booking to check prices, you are locked into a cabin category. If you survive the spinning circle of death, there is a place to click to "edit cabin choice" or something like that. Click there, and you see the cabin classes available. Start with a Sig suite and decide to check out Neptunes? Click on Neptune and NOTHING changes. You asked for Sig suite and by all that's holy HAL is going to make you stay there.

They have made an effort to give more ship-specific information about dining and entertainment. This is important because of the variety in ships and what they offer. (Although I did find a few errors) But you have to scroll up and down for some things and left and right for others. Stuff seems to jump around. Click on one of the subjects and you get details. But you can't go back to where you were. It's jazzy and it pops! Woo hoo! To bad it's messy. And everything feels like more clicks to get the information we used to get quickly.

I do give them credit for finally offering the choice of restricted/refundable up front. And boy, do they make that cancellation option VISIBLE. They must make a lot of money off that insurance. Now how about promo/no promo?

One thing that was poor on the old site and no better now is the collection of stateroom photos. Even the ones that have been redecorated are the same old camera angles we've been seeing forever. They're so in love with multiple scrolling images, why not let us see more shots of the various categories.

Here is the response I received from the Mariner Dept. regarding my removed cruise day credits...

Dear Mrs. Lopez,

Thank you for your continued correspondence. Our apologies for the delayed response and that the cruise history was not attached to the previous email. Please see the attached cruise history for reference.

As of right now, your cruise history shows a total of 86 cruise day credits. 114 cruise day credits are needed to reach the next level of 4 Star which begins at 200 cruise day credits. This is what our records currently reflect. We're sorry that we aren't able to see what you were viewing previously that showed 109 cruise day credits needed for the next level.

Without having a visual reference it's hard to confirm what you were viewing on the website. It could be that it was a website error or malfunction that has since corrected itself. You are correct in that we had been experiencing technical difficulties resulting in the onboard spending from populating correctly to guest profiles. For the integrity of the rewards program we are unable to honor the error at this time. We apologize for any frustration or disappointment this may cause.

If you would like, we can also send you what our records show which would include a breakdown of your actual days sailed as well as how your onboard spending bonus was calculated for each sailing.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we may be of further assistance or visit us online at http://www.hollandamerica.com. Thank you for your patronage.

Kind Regards,

Bethany

Mariner Society

Holland America Line

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think I may be stuck with new website because for two days now, the old website has not come up. It is a little improved from it's start, but still not able to pick a cabin and I got the spinning the last time.

Here is the response I received from the Mariner Dept. regarding my removed cruise day credits...

Dear Mrs. Lopez,

Thank you for your continued correspondence. Our apologies for the delayed response and that the cruise history was not attached to the previous email. Please see the attached cruise history for reference.

As of right now, your cruise history shows a total of 86 cruise day credits. 114 cruise day credits are needed to reach the next level of 4 Star which begins at 200 cruise day credits. This is what our records currently reflect. We're sorry that we aren't able to see what you were viewing previously that showed 109 cruise day credits needed for the next level.

Without having a visual reference it's hard to confirm what you were viewing on the website. It could be that it was a website error or malfunction that has since corrected itself. You are correct in that we had been experiencing technical difficulties resulting in the onboard spending from populating correctly to guest profiles. For the integrity of the rewards program we are unable to honor the error at this time. We apologize for any frustration or disappointment this may cause.

If you would like, we can also send you what our records show which would include a breakdown of your actual days sailed as well as how your onboard spending bonus was calculated for each sailing.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we may be of further assistance or visit us online at www.hollandamerica.com. Thank you for your patronage.

Kind Regards,

Bethany

Mariner Society

Holland America Line

Sent from my iPad using Forums

See this info below I pasted from an earlier post. I was able to use it to log into my account in the old site using it and I could see my history. Perhaps if you can find your history and make a screenshot, you can send it to HAL. Maybe they'll honor your history then.

We have some Good News and we have some Bad News!

I went into the new site tonight and was able to login and see my Cruise History. All the History was there and the summary of my Mariner Status..... "Total Cruise Days Credits", "Cruise Days", and "Bonus Cruise Days" were all correct.

The actual Cruise History was all there and correct. The math they are using to present the numbers for each cruise is flawed. Under the column "Credits earned" which is further summarized as "Cruise Day", "On Board Spending" and "Suite Bonus" they are using incorrect numbers for "Cruise Day".

Hope they figure it out. One step forward and two steps back. :D

See this info below I pasted from an earlier post. I was able to use it to log into my account in the old site using it and I could see my history. Perhaps if you can find your history and make a screenshot, you can send it to HAL. Maybe they'll honor your history then.

Thanx Kathy for the Reference . It worked and I was able to get a screen shot of my cruise history with valid numbers except for my last cruise where I only got 3 bonus credits on a 24 day cruise. Based on their response below I think the 3 spending credits they have for me (should be 8) are based on the excursions I signed up for pre-cruise (approx $630).

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your continued correspondence with Holland America Lineregarding your recent Westerdam, September 9, 2017 voyage. Yourcruise days have posted, however we are experiencing technical difficultiesresulting in the onboard spending from populating to guest profiles. Weare working diligently to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

At this time we do not have an estimate of when the issue will be resolved andyour history posted to your profile. Please know we value your loyalty andsincerely apologize for the delay.

Again, we sincerely apologize for the delay. If you have any questions pleaselet us know. We hope to welcome you back onboard with us in the near future.

Kind Regards,

XXX

Mariner Society

Holland America Line

Just got an email from Holland America about the new website. Here are a few "snippets" from my email.... (my goodness HAL you are certainly not looking very professional through all this):

We are thrilled to share this new site experience with you— however because it is best to launch a new website in a “phased approach,” you may still see the previous hollandamerica.com if you visit the site within the next couple of days. We expect our new site to be fully rolled out by early May.

And this just cracked me up!

YOU ARE A 3 STAR MARINER WITH TOTAL CRUISE DAYS

Just got an email from Holland America about the new website. Here are a few "snippets" from my email.... (my goodness HAL you are certainly not looking very professional through all this):

We are thrilled to share this new site experience with you— however because it is best to launch a new website in a “phased approach,” you may still see the previous hollandamerica.com if you visit the site within the next couple of days. We expect our new site to be fully rolled out by early May.

And this just cracked me up!

YOU ARE A 3 STAR MARINER WITH TOTAL CRUISE DAYS

Maybe we can get HAL to swap their website team for Princess' Medallion team? :halo:

Got one of those dyslexic emails, too.

I got the email, too.

So I clicked on the "plan a cruise" link in the email to see what would happen. Would I get the old version or the new one?

Neither!

I got the site map and this was at the top of the page: "If you have reached this page unexpectedly, the page you are looking for may no longer be available.

Please make a selection from our list below."

Nice intro to the new site, HAL, your links don't work!

I hope their techs have the sense to be mortified at how bad this is.

Holland America is headquartered in Seattle - I guess there aren’t a lot of tech savvy people located in that area.

I reckon that’s why HAL has such a problem with their website.

I’m sure if HAL was located in a more technologically friendly area, then they would be more successful in their internet endeavors.

After all, Holland America is very interested and concerned about the interests and concerns of all the company’s customers. . . right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Holland America is headquartered in Seattle - I guess there aren’t a lot of tech savvy people located in that area.

I reckon that’s why HAL has such a problem with their website.

I’m sure if HAL was located in a more technologically friendly area, then they would be more successful in their internet endeavors.

After all, Holland America is very interested and concerned about the interests and concerns of all the company’s customers. . . right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For those who don't get the sarcasm-bat when it hits HAL up the back of it's head...

Microsoft lives in Redmond, a Seattle suburb.