little britain

Review: MSC Magnifica 2 nights. A comedy of errors.

Posted (edited)
Where do I start.....?

[LIST]
[*]The cruise documentation detailed the wrong port in Hamburg. I actually had to point it out to MSC UK that the address was wrong and they sent out second documents a few days later which still had the wrong address in and then with a little addendum giving the right address
[*]Boarding was chaos. The building was not large enough to cope with the number of people trying to board.
[*]No separate doorway for Black/Priority members. Once inside, the regular queue had barriers so the queue snaked around in an orderly fashion. The Black/Priority line had no order and it was every man for your self, elbows at the ready.
[*]There were no announcements of what was causing the delay and no expectation set of how long we would have to wait. Otherwise we would have taken ourselves off to lunch at the FischMarkt opposite
[*]There was no visibility of any MSC officers. There was no one offering water or seats for the elderly.
[*]Boarding started around 1.45
[*]On board you were ambushed immediately by staff trying to sell you the drinks package; until they saw you were on for just 2 days when they then said you couldn't have it. Thankfully we got him to sell it to us otherwise I would be furious if I had been asked every few minutes whether I wanted a package, that I couldn't have
[*]Our room steward never smiled, or introduced himself, or left a card
[*]The room was not ready, we did not have our kettle, our bathrobes or even face cloths.
[*]We did have 2 invites to the specialty restaurant. I did not receive my invite to the Spa. We did receive 4 chocolate ships (that were actually of the Musica...)
[*]We went for dinner at the Oriental Specialty restaurant. Blacks members dine from a set menu. They had no salad and no noodles. Dinner was sushi and a bowl of fried rice. No senior staff around explaining why there was no food. Hardly worthy of a buffet let a long a specialty restaurant. There were noodles for lunch in the buffet the next day. Go figure.
[*]Before going to dinner I had left a note on the bed asking the steward to please bring kettle, bathrobes and face clothes. When we returned to the room, we had had no turn down service and the note was still in place. By this time I was not a happy bunny. I went to GR and told them. Now this is the best part....at 3.00am in the morning, yes, 3.00am in the morning we were awoken by the delivery of the missing items.......
[*]The following day, our steward gave us 2 more bathrobes. He then returned in the afternoon to deliver one solitary face cloth.
[*]There were no cartons of milk on board so you couldn't use the kettle anyway
[*]There had been a change over of staff. Never before have I seen dirty plates and cups left on tables for hours (the ones by the pool were there for well over 4 hours)
[*]Disembarking was chaos. Only one announcement advising about issues with the gangway. Nothing more. No visibility of officers explaining what the issue was, no further announcements telling people to stay away. No officers seeing you off the ship apologising for the issues. It appeared that some people had not done the mandatory immigration face to face the day before; and some people had not registered their credit card which caused further delay.
[/LIST]On the plus side, the ship itself was spotless, did not show her age. The music was good, the disco was great, the drinks were flowing (when you could get served).

I feel very disappointed. For their first trip in the UK, I'm afraid this was a PR disaster. I suspect many were trying MSC for the first (and probably the last) time. I spoke with some who had already cancelled forthcoming trips. I know they can do better than this. This was DH's first cruise with MSC. I have managed to convince him to give them one more go.... Edited by little britain

Oh no! I'm sorry it was such a chaotic trip. I hope you can get your husband to give MSC another try...it's not always like that. Glad to hear the ship itself was in good shape. Hopefully they will get the other issues sorted out (and the pantry restocked!) before we embark in June. Thank you for sharing your experience.

A bit concerned about you saying no turndown service as we are on Magnifica soon and the grandchildren will be sleeping on sofa bed. I just asked the question on here was the sofa bed made up every night and back to a sofa during the day. The answer was yes, so now concerned they won’t make the sofa bed up now.

[quote name='amajaa']A bit concerned about you saying no turndown service as we are on Magnifica soon and the grandchildren will be sleeping on sofa bed. I just asked the question on here was the sofa bed made up every night and back to a sofa during the day. The answer was yes, so now concerned they won’t make the sofa bed up now.[/quote]

Our guy was useless. I wouldn't take him as the measure of how things were meant to be done :confused:
I've had turndown on both other MSC cruises

Thanks for the review.

Just a quick question, did you get your black card bottle of Prosecco in the cabin. My son was onboard and never got his, he asked at GS and was told it wasn't available on a 2 night cruise. He did however have bathrobes and slippers in the cabin and went to the speciality dinner on Sat night and had the full menu apart from the salad! Not sure what it was supposed to have consisted of but he mentioned spring rolls and Pad Thai.

He quite enjoyed the cruise but it was his girlfriend's first ever cruise and unfortunately it hasn't converted her.

Julie

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like MSC needs some organizational work on that ship.

Finally a true view of this cruise (we were on it too). Yesterday I read the review added by another member and he was praising MSC for such a wonderful cruise...

Anyway, the whole cruise was a chaos, not just embarkation and disembarkation. Staff was acting like they have just woken up from a long sleep and didn't know where they were and what was happening. Everything was disorganised.

We are also black members and we did receive a bathrobes, sleepers, spa vouchers, bottle of cava and two chocolate ships into our cabin. We didn't receive invitation to the black members party (we were passing through the atrium on Sunday midday and stumbled upon this party by accident) and also gift and our upgrade pin (this was our first cruise as a black members). We got a gift and a pin from the future cruise consultant, who at first told us that we should be getting them delivered to our cabin after we leave Southampton. We told him, we are disembarking in Southampton, as a mater of fact, a half of the ship was disembarking in Southampton. He was just like "Oh, really..". Clearly wasn't aware that this cruise was heavily sold as a 2 day cruise.

Overall we didn't get upset at this experience, as it was only two nights. However, if we had booked this cruise as a 7 or more nights, we would be very disappointed. And if it was our first cruise ever, it would likely put me off cruising.

[quote name='amajaa']A bit concerned about you saying no turndown service as we are on Magnifica soon and the grandchildren will be sleeping on sofa bed. I just asked the question on here was the sofa bed made up every night and back to a sofa during the day. The answer was yes, so now concerned they won’t make the sofa bed up now.[/quote]

What to do with sofa bed its up to you. We always ask our steward not to put it back during day time so she can always have a nap if she needs to. He set it up as our bed but never fold it.

[quote]...[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]We didn't receive invitation to the black members party (we were passing through the atrium on Sunday midday and stumbled upon this party by accident) and also gift[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT="] [/quote].......Gift...what gift!!!? And no invite to a party either....[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="][quote] [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT="]Just a quick question, did you get your black card bottle of Prosecco in the cabin..[/quote]- yes we got our bubbles and chocolate covered strawberries. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][COLOR=#333333]Inconsistency[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#333333][FONT="] is becoming my middle name...[/FONT][/COLOR]

LB ... There really is large amounts of inconsistancy currently with MSC! The complimentary meal should now be one per cabin as they are doing with Seaside yet along with yourself others have had two meal cards.
I was surprised to see that they had a Black card party on a 2 night sailing, and they did forget our invite at Xmas on Seaside but made sure that all the status matchers to Black got theirs.

We will be on Magnifica in September and it will be our first MSC cruise. We have cruised many times with other lines but thought we would give them a go as the cruise is from Southampton. Reading this I am wondering if I have made a mistake.

I hope they have had time by then to get their act together!

I think I will keep a close eye on what people are saying and consider my options if things dont improve.[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-T580 using [URL=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums mobile app[/URL]

[quote name='sammybonny']We will be on Magnifica in September and it will be our first MSC cruise. We have cruised many times with other lines but thought we would give them a go as the cruise is from Southampton. Reading this I am wondering if I have made a mistake.

I hope they have had time by then to get their act together!

I think I will keep a close eye on what people are saying and consider my options if things dont improve.[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-T580 using [URL="http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452"]Forums mobile app[/URL][/quote]
We are on in three weeks time and I'll be posting when we get back. Hopefully they will have sorted themselves out by then.

Julie

hmmmmmmmm I have a feeling many Black card members with all these expected lovely privileges may not have become Black card members from sailing with MSC ??????

[quote name='sidari']LB ... There really is large amounts of inconsistancy currently with MSC! The complimentary meal should now be one per cabin as they are doing with Seaside yet along with yourself others have had two meal cards.
I was surprised to see that they had a Black card party on a 2 night sailing, and they did forget our invite at Xmas on Seaside but made sure that all the status matchers to Black got theirs.[/QUOTE]Dave ... We have received only one voucher for the complimentary dining meal. The CC was in YC a couple of days ago so I spoke with her and let her know exactly how we feel about it. I also pointed out the inconsistencies around the issue. She told me that she enforces the policy for that reason!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

LB - most of the benefits don't apply to cruises of less than 4 days, eg the black party, dance lesson, That's why these benefits weren't delivered

[quote name='glittergal1']hmmmmmmmm I have a feeling many Black card members with all these expected lovely privileges may not have become Black card members from sailing with MSC ??????[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry but why does that matter?

If MSC instigate a programme to attract new cruisers by doing a status match; which has clearly worked, given the number of people trying MSC on board: then those new cruisers have an expectation of benefits, facilities, events and services they will receive on board as advertised by MSC.

When the benefits, facilities, events and services are severely lacking, clearly inconsistent or not delivered (or delivered at 3am in the morning [emoji849]), are they keeping their side of the bargain?

The “real” Blacks encountered these failings too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote name='1fifthavenue']LB - most of the benefits don't apply to cruises of less than 4 days, eg the black party, dance lesson, That's why these benefits weren't delivered[/QUOTE]

I didn’t expect the dance lesson or the black party as I know they are not on the short cruises..... ( as clearly shown on the list of benefits); however in #8 there clearly was a Black party (although probably meant to be for those on the longer cruise). If they didn’t want us “shorties” to know about it, or to stumble across it, then they shouldn’t hold it in such a public open venue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote name='glittergal1']hmmmmmmmm I have a feeling many Black card members with all these expected lovely privileges may not have become Black card members from sailing with MSC ??????[/quote]
Funny I have got a similar feeling....
Ivi

The Black card has become a joke due to status match which has resulted in those who earned theirs and having their benefits Cut, MSC have become like Insurance companies who offer their loyal customers a worse deal than those who switch to them from another company. The Ryanair of the seas.

[quote name='JoLoca2208']Finally a true view of this cruise (we were on it too). Yesterday I read the review added by another member and he was praising MSC for such a wonderful cruise...

Anyway, the whole cruise was a chaos, not just embarkation and disembarkation. Staff was acting like they have just woken up from a long sleep and didn't know where they were and what was happening. Everything was disorganised.

We are also black members and we did receive a bathrobes, sleepers, spa vouchers, bottle of cava and two chocolate ships into our cabin. We didn't receive invitation to the black members party (we were passing through the atrium on Sunday midday and stumbled upon this party by accident) and also gift and our upgrade pin (this was our first cruise as a black members). We got a gift and a pin from the future cruise consultant, who at first told us that we should be getting them delivered to our cabin after we leave Southampton. We told him, we are disembarking in Southampton, as a mater of fact, a half of the ship was disembarking in Southampton. He was just like "Oh, really..". Clearly wasn't aware that this cruise was heavily sold as a 2 day cruise.

Overall we didn't get upset at this experience, as it was only two nights. However, if we had booked this cruise as a 7 or more nights, we would be very disappointed. And if it was our first cruise ever, it would likely put me off cruising.[/quote]

The Black Card Party isnt a secret, the reason they dont offer it on Cruises of less than 4 days is they have two parties a week and cant guarantee it would fall during your cruise, clearly there were people on the ship for 4 days or more and therefore they did get one as per advertised. They are not holding one for everyone else just because your on board and feel some slight from MSC that you werent invited when it clearly states you wont be.

[quote name='travelberlin']Funny I have got a similar feeling....
Ivi[/quote]

So many people falling out over a chocolate ship lol

[quote name='glittergal1']hmmmmmmmm I have a feeling many Black card members with all these expected lovely privileges may not have become Black card members from sailing with MSC ??????[/quote]

MSC issued me with a Black Card to try and tempt me over from Norwegian. Their decision to do this seems to have been quite contentious amongst cruisers who obtained theirs in other ways, but to me it seems like a brilliant way to get experienced cruisers to sample the MSC product. Regardless of how the card (or indeed the cruise fare itself!) was obtained, we all have one now - if you have a complaint about that I suggest you add it at the bottom of the list.

Several of the benefits, I noticed, are unavailable on 3-night sailings. I wrote to the status match department to ask if they would apply on this cruise. Roxanne wrote back: Since this is a 2-night sailing, the exclusions that apply to a 3-night sailing do not apply, and [I]all of the benefits[/I] will be available.

Obviously, like much else that wasn't delivered on this cruise, neither was this promise. I took Roxanne's email to reception, and the benefits were eventually delivered - but as an NCL cruiser I'm not used to having to 'chase' staff to fulfil their promises. I'm just happy that they were delivered at a reasonable time, and not 0300hrs!

I understand that some Black Card members feel as though they have 'earned' their card, through many years of MSC cruises. During that toil, you may have come quite accustomed to this sort of service. Indeed some of you are even [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome"]defending it.[/URL] Someone on this cruise even said (and I paraphrase here) that after years of MSC cruises, 'real' black card members have [I]'learned to use their elbows'[/I] to get to the front and fight for the service they're entitled to.

Whilst that may be your preference, as an NCL cruiser I'm not one for elbows. The concierge takes care of everything.

[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]"I understand that some Black Card members feel as though they have 'earned' their card, through many years of MSC cruises. During that toil, you may have come quite accustomed to this sort of service. Indeed some of you are even [/FONT][/COLOR][URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome"]defending it.[/URL][FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][COLOR=#333333]"[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]Those who have earned their Black card status used to receive better service, only since the status match do many of the crew now see it as oh just another Black card![/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][COLOR=#333333]I would like to see the figures for just how many of the status match people have actually booked again after a first cruise as status match.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='samshltn']MSC issued me with a Black Card to try and tempt me over from Norwegian. Their decision to do this seems to have been quite contentious amongst cruisers who obtained theirs in other ways, but to me it seems like a brilliant way to get experienced cruisers to sample the MSC product. Regardless of how the card (or indeed the cruise fare itself!) was obtained, we all have one now - if you have a complaint about that I suggest you add it at the bottom of the list.

Several of the benefits, I noticed, are unavailable on 3-night sailings. I wrote to the status match department to ask if they would apply on this cruise. Roxanne wrote back: Since this is a 2-night sailing, the exclusions that apply to a 3-night sailing do not apply, and [I]all of the benefits[/I] will be available.

Obviously, like much else that wasn't delivered on this cruise, neither was this promise. I took Roxanne's email to reception, and the benefits were eventually delivered - but as an NCL cruiser I'm not used to having to 'chase' staff to fulfil their promises. I'm just happy that they were delivered at a reasonable time, and not 0300hrs!

Whilst that may be your preference, as an NCL cruiser I'm not one for elbows. The concierge takes care of everything.[/quote]

Two points, it clearly states in the brochure and website that the benefits dont apply to cruises of less than 4 nights, you decided to ring and ask a stupid question which you clearly knew was vexatious as you then took a printout of the email. If it says less than 4 nights then 2 nights is less!

If you travel in the Haven this experience isnt on Magnifica but is on the new ships, im sure if you had tried MSC yacht club then you would enjoy the MSC equivalent service level.

We tried NCL and was horrified with the queues all over the ship, lack of drinks service, having to hand over one card per drink, the food was awful and it was very unclean. We were pleased to get off that Epic failure like you on Magnifica. It just goes to show how subjective cruising is.

[quote name='glittergal1']hmmmmmmmm I have a feeling many Black card members with all these expected lovely privileges may not have become Black card members from sailing with MSC ??????[/QUOTE]It strikes me that some are also the more vocal when not getting what they deem they're "entitled" to, LOL!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

[quote name='sidari']

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][COLOR=#333333]I would like to see the figures for just how many of the status match people have actually booked again after a first cruise as status match.[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

This was my 3rd MSC cruise in 6 months out of 4, so I had definitely re-booked. They almost had won me over.

[quote][COLOR=#333333][FONT="]So many people falling out over a chocolate ship lol [/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]....and I bet if your chocolate ship wasn't delivered you would be first in line asking for it. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]You obviously have not bothered to read my post correctly as we received 4 chocolate ships, (so another error by MSC giving us more than we were entitled to receive [/FONT][/COLOR]:rolleyes:[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]) and the 4 chocolate ships were not even a model of Magnifica, but models of Musica (so a failure by MSC to supply and deliver the correct chocolate model ship....)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Beamafar']It strikes me that some are also the more vocal when not getting what they deem they're "entitled" to, LOL! [/quote]

It seems appropriate, to me at least, to 'be vocal' when you've been promised something and then denied it. It was my first time on MSC so I'm just not used to that sort of thing. Perhaps if I stick with MSC I'll get used to it?

[quote name='andyjbrum']Two points, it clearly states in the brochure and website that the benefits dont apply to cruises of less than 4 nights... [/quote]

I wasn't referring to the privileges that are unavailable on cruises shorter than four nights (The cocktail, dance class, and party), but to the benefits that are unavailable on 'three-night, four day sailings'. It seemed like an odd system to have benefits at three distinct durations: 2-night, 3-night, and 4-or-more nights. It seems like the sort of thing that would be very hard to administrate and would cause confusion between MSC staff... and it turned out I was right:

[quote name='andyjbrum']...which you clearly knew was vexatious as you then took a printout of the email. [/quote]

In light of the admin shortcomings I'd already experienced prior to the cruise, it seemed prudent to take proof of what I'd been told I would get. I'm glad I did, because the ship staff and head off staff had quite different opinions on what each other's policies are. I'm interested to see that MSC has now updated their [URL="https://www.msccruises.co.uk/en-gb/Assets/TeC-VoyagersClub.pdf"]Voyagers Ts&Cs[/URL] to remove the two/three night distinction and simply state: [I]"The order and days of allocation of the on board benefits may vary according to the duration of the cruise and the organisation of the ship and may not be disputed by members." [/I]i.e. we regularly balls this up and you're not allowed to take proof of that fact to reception.

[quote name='sidari'][COLOR=#333333]Those who have earned their Black card status used to receive better service, only since the status match do many of the crew now see it as oh just another Black card![/COLOR][/quote]

That must be absolutely gutting. MSC matched our Platinum status (their [I]middle[/I] status) for Black, MSC's highest status. I can only imagine how that must feel for the existing Black card holders. [COLOR=#333333][FONT="]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[quote name='sidari'][FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I would like to see the figures for just how many of the status match people have actually booked again after a first cruise as status match.[/FONT][/quote]

I wouldn't worry - I don't think think many 'status' members with other lines would be very impressed with MSC Black.

Andy I think you've nailed it here, though. We all have different tastes and budgets and levels of service we're prepared to pay for. In your words:

[quote name='andyjbrum']It just goes to show how subjective cruising is.[/quote]

[quote name='little britain']This was my 3rd MSC cruise in 6 months out of 4, so I had definitely re-booked. They almost had won me over.

[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]....and I bet if your chocolate ship wasn't delivered you would be first in line asking for it. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]You obviously have not bothered to read my post correctly as we received 4 chocolate ships, (so another error by MSC giving us more than we were entitled to receive [/FONT][/COLOR]:rolleyes:[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]) and the 4 chocolate ships were not even a model of Magnifica, but models of Musica (so a failure by MSC to supply and deliver the correct chocolate model ship....)[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

I didnt mention about the rebookers :-) i think someone else put on about a 2 nighter not being really representative and perhaps it was a mistake of MSC to market the 2 nights to so many status matched people on their first MSC cruise, although clearly you cant differentiate between old and new.

I did mention the chocolate ship, we arent that bothered really, we gave both our Meraviglia ones away and TBH i never noticed which ship it was, but isnt Musica the same class and surely 4 is better than 2, the cabin steward might have been doing it as a favour given the issues lol

[quote name='andyjbrum']I didnt mention about the rebookers :-)[/quote]

I think she was replying to someone else.

[quote name='andyjbrum']i think someone else put on about a 2 nighter not being really representative and perhaps it was a mistake of MSC to market the 2 nights to so many status matched people on their first MSC cruise, although clearly you cant differentiate between old and new.[/quote]

So true - after a few more nights we may have adjusted to it. I think we actually booked the other way around though: We heard about the two-nighter, and then only found our about the matching afterwards. We wouldn't have booked it if it wasn't for the matching though, so that's smart of MSC (to us, but really stupid from the point of view of existing black members) But here's the thing: I think the matching really raised our expectations: We were expecting to be treated like NCL Platinum members. We may have enjoyed it more as entry-level cruisers, without having grown used to good service.

[quote name='andyjbrum'] I did mention the chocolate ship, we arent that bothered really, we gave both our Meraviglia ones away and TBH i never noticed which ship it was, but isnt Musica the same class and surely 4 is better than 2, the cabin steward might have been doing it as a favour given the issues lol[/quote]

By the time the chocolate ship arrived I was so hungry I didn't care what ship it was! I don't normally eat confectionery but that night I could've eaten a chocolate Symphony Of The Seas!

We were also onboard for this 2 nighter from Hamburg, and we, as others have been, were tempted over by the status match offered by MSC.

Now let me first say that we (me & my wife) got this 2 night cruise at an insanely cheap rate...

HOWEVER, it was the worst cruise we have been on by far!! Total chaos. I found it quite worrying watching the staff being completely clueless during check in, departure, and most off the time whilst onboard. God only knows how they would all react if there was a real emergency!!

Black card privileges were non existent, other than the black card we were issued we got 0 other benefits. We did not go to guest services and request any of them, as we couldn’t be bothered to join the ridiculous queue...

I’m sure you loyal MSC cruises will be pleased to know that you have got 2 less black card members, as we won’t be sailing with MSC again. Each to their own, we will be sticking with RCI, NCL, and we will probably try some other cruise lines too.

Some positive did come out of this cruise... We did meet some great people onboard at our litttle cruise critic get together, had quite a few drinks and a real laugh discussing our experiences of MSC. 🍹🤣

#whythebobsled?

Things they got right;
- Great Pizza
- Great Coffee
- Great Gelato

If you go expecting Norwegian, it won't be what you're expecting. You'll only get that NCL experience on NCL?

I guess as well you timed how long you were at the bar (18 minutes) if that was us and noticed the bar was heaving with long waits, we just move on to the next bar - sea days are always busy. Our one time on NCL it took forever to be served on the sun deck - far more than 18 mins - not that I was timing it

Lesley re the chocolate ships, the reason you got an extra two is that they're usually delivered during one of the days, they're not in your cabin to start off with - I think something got lost in communication there.

[quote name='Arrowdaz']Some positive did come out of this cruise... [/quote]

Daz that get-together saved me from jumping overboard! It was like a support group (I don't know what kind of support group... not alcoholics anonymous that's for sure...)

It was nice to meet you both!

[quote name='1fifthavenue']If you go expecting Norwegian, it won't be what you're expecting. You'll only get that NCL experience on NCL?

Who went expecting Norwegian?:confused:

[quote name='samshltn']
state:
Andy I think you've nailed it here, though. We all have different tastes and budgets and levels of service we're prepared to pay for. In your words:[/quote]

I think you've hit the nail on the head too, most people booked this as a cheeky two nighter to see what it was like, i think everyone expects to get what they are used to thats why we wouldnt go on NCL after the terrible food and service we received there. We clearly had expections that NCL couldnt live up to, we do all have budgets and thats why we have done our first 12 MSC in 3 years, we've tried several different ships and always have the deluxe drinks package and have booked several suites and will be going on our next MSC on monday in the Yacht club, which normally beat NCL Haven hands down.

It was nice to meet you both![/quote]

Likewise...

Until next time 🥃, on a different line obviously! 🚢⚓️

[quote name='1fifthavenue']If you go expecting Norwegian, it won't be what you're expecting.[/quote]

So true, I've only ever cruised NCL and I guess I've been spoiled.

[quote name='1fifthavenue']I guess as well you timed how long you were at the bar (18 minutes) if that was us and noticed the bar was heaving with long waits, we just move on to the next bar - sea days are always busy. [/quote]

Well I didn't notice how long I'd been waiting, only that other people were getting served straight away so I thought I'd stick it out and keep trying to catch the barmans eye. It was only when I saw that the Barca/Seville match was 18 mins in, and I'd arrived at kick-off, that I realised I needed to up my 'getting served' game and start interrupting the barman while he made other people's drinks, as everyone else was.

As I said, my complaint over the weekend isn't about that one longish wait... we've all had one of those at some point. It's about the fact that this is syndromic of the staff attitude throughout the ship. A waiter dropped a knife and put it back on the table. The staff in the speciality restaurant couldn't be bothered to get Dom a diet coke, and lied saying there wasn't any on the ship, and when I stood up to go and get one they made the effort to go and fetch it for him... But it's not each of these small things, it's the whole ship. It's really a shock, for a first timer on MSC.