Im sad to say, but Im on my way, Goodbye Celebrity.

nancyshaw

Unfortunately, Celebrity has changed. Celebrity's cheesecake WAS the best that I have ever had. It wasn't very good on my last cruise. It tasted old and dried up. It definitely is different. What happened?

The cheesecake is one of my favorites and tasted exactly the same as always in Blu 2 months ago. ;)

We are on viking ocean right now. Have been loyal celebrity cruisers but just booked two more viking ocean cruises. Food outstanding, wonderful staff, cabins well designed ( bathrooms are sooooo much better). Clientele is same age demographic as celebrity but well traveled and we've found to be quite enjoyable. First time we've enjoyed every shared table. No nickel diming, art shows or constant promotions. I think we've found a great alternative. But will still sail celebrity on some itineraries.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

What is the evening dress like on Viking Ocean cruises? We have done river cruising (more casual than Celebrity) and cruised with Oceania (the same to slightly dressier than Celebrity.)

information on a safari cruise thru X

We are looking into AmaWaterways river cruising for Africa. Take a look! ;)

I'm sad to say that I've switched from Diet Coke to Diet Pepsi.

Good to know and thanks for sharing. But what has that got to do with the topic? Sorry if I'm a bit slow on the uptake here and missed the joke. I guess it's me and not you. ;) And to the previous poster who complained about receiving 2 chips as an hors d'oeuvre might I suggest swapping out the choice in favor of a cheese plate, fruit plate, shrimp cocktail, or other room service choice rather than dismissing an entire cruise line?

The cheesecake is one of my favorites and tasted exactly the same as always in Blu 2 months ago. ;)

What is the evening dress like on Viking Ocean cruises? We have done river cruising (more casual than Celebrity) and cruised with Oceania (the same to slightly dressier than Celebrity.)

We are looking into AmaWaterways river cruising for Africa. Take a look! ;)

We have not done any river cruises. Viking Ocean is totally a separate entity. The attire is very casual. No casual chic, no formal, no sport jackets. But I think by the virtue of the ambiance, the cruisers are nicely dressed. Really not sure that you will see the overalls I have been seeing on Celebrity. Whats up with that? Does anyone know?

. Really not sure that you will see the overalls I have been seeing on Celebrity. Whats up with that? Does anyone know?[/quote

I am absolutely sure I have never seen, in all of my cruises anyone dressed in overalls on any Celebrity sailing. This has gone too far out of the realm of credibility for me. I do hope you find a cruise experience where the food, service, and passenger dress lives up to your standards. Good luck

We have not done any river cruises. Viking Ocean is totally a separate entity. The attire is very casual. No casual chic, no formal, no sport jackets. But I think by the virtue of the ambiance, the cruisers are nicely dressed. Really not sure that you will see the overalls I have been seeing on Celebrity. Whats up with that? Does anyone know?

Yes, having cruised on The Viking Sea this past January, out of San Juan, the attire on the ship for evening meals, for men, was slacks and nice collared shirt. A few did wear ties and saw several in sports coats but this was their own choice. The ladies, likewise, were simply dressed causal, but nicely, for dinner.

Having also cruised on the riverboat, Viking Bragi, from Budapest to Amsterdam, the evening meal dress was also nicely dressed but causal.

Good to know and thanks for sharing. But what has that got to do with the topic? Sorry if I'm a bit slow on the uptake here and missed the joke. I guess it's me and not you. ;) And to the previous poster who complained about receiving 2 chips as an hors d'oeuvre might I suggest swapping out the choice in favor of a cheese plate, fruit plate, shrimp cocktail, or other room service choice rather than dismissing an entire cruise line?

I would assume the poster believes their decision to switch soft drinks is just as monumental as the decision to leave Celebrity that is being discussed in this thread...

(I think it's a very good and appropriately humorous false equivalence statement myself.)

I would assume the poster believes their decision to switch soft drinks is just as monumental as the decision to leave Celebrity that is being discussed in this thread...

(I think it's a very good and appropriately humorous false equivalence statement myself.)

You got it!

. Really not sure that you will see the overalls I have been seeing on Celebrity. Whats up with that? Does anyone know?[/quote

I am absolutely sure I have never seen, in all of my cruises anyone dressed in overalls on any Celebrity sailing. This has gone too far out of the realm of credibility for me. I do hope you find a cruise experience where the food, pservice, and passenger dress lives up to your standards. Good luck

You are Wrong! I saw two guys walking through the corridor wearing overalls.......they were workers fixing a problem in a SR.....but they were wearing Overalls!!

A few years ago, The Big Complaint against Celebrity was most were wearing Tux and formal dress; they changed and then the complaint was guys had to wear dark suits; then it was coat (sport or whatever) and tie (someone walked in wearing a Nehru jacket and I thought someone would go nuts over that one); now it’s ‘chic casual’. When I first read that, I thought they were talking about ‘chick casual’ and I wondered what us guys were to wear, until my wife explained that only idiot 50’s men would still used ‘that term’.

I can’t believe that we are still complaining about what some person is wearing after that complete change from TUX-and-Tails to slacks and shirt. I guess we have to have something to complain about.

My personal view is, we just love a ‘new’ experience and do it again and again, but then we start to get jaded and complainy. And start to knit pick and work ourselves into a knot. Yes, there are issues and so on and if you are finding more and more issues and start to complain about seeing a torn carpet, its a good idea to move on.

And if you are going to drop some Line and head to another, go for it. Might I suggest moving over to the new Forum and stop trying to convince everyone ‘left behind’ they should see that old Line with your eyes.

By the way, watch out for that Orator guy, he’s always trying to pull your leg and suck you in on one of us hidden meaning jokes.

Den

Edited by Denny01

Thanks for the dress code on Viking. For some reason, I thought it would be more like Oceania and slightly dressier than Celebrity.

I'm sad to say that I've switched from Diet Coke to Diet Pepsi.

That is sad! :loudcry:

I am absolutely sure I have never seen, in all of my cruises anyone dressed in overalls on any Celebrity sailing. This has gone too far out of the realm of credibility for me. I do hope you find a cruise experience where the food, service, and passenger dress lives up to your standards. Good luck

In defense, on a recent, we also saw an older passenger in blue-jean overalls. His wife was in a prairie dress w/ankle socks. They were in the centrum one evening. They looked out of place, but seemed to be having a great time! :*

We've also recently seen men in blue jean shorts, tank tops and hats in the theatre.

In defense, on a recent, we also saw an older passenger in blue-jean overalls. His wife was in a prairie dress w/ankle socks. They were in the centrum one evening. They looked out of place, but seemed to be having a great time! :*

We've also recently seen men in blue jean shorts, tank tops and hats in the theatre.

A few year ago on Celebrity we were seated at a dinner table with a man who wore overalls every evening. He had a long white beard so we privately nicknamed him Santa. He was actually excellent company, a retired university professor, widely travelled and a good conversationalist. He was a better table companion than a young man we sat with on our previous cruise - impeccably dressed, but very opinionated who dominated the conversation to such an extent that we asked to switch tables.

A few year ago on Celebrity we were seated at a dinner table with a man who wore overalls every evening. He had a long white beard so we privately nicknamed him Santa. He was actually excellent company, a retired university professor, widely travelled and a good conversationalist. He was a better table companion than a young man we sat with on our previous cruise - impeccably dressed, but very opinionated who dominated the conversation to such an extent that we asked to switch tables.

Did you ever hear of the book "The Millionaire Next Door"? Of the generally affluent people in the United States (millionaires, not necessarily billionaires), most are people who devoted a higher percentage of their income to asset growth versus the trappings of wealth. Invest, feed your 401K, etc. If you don't need a suit, don't buy one. If you wear overalls all the time, but put away your $18.5-24.5K a year into a 401K/403B, etc., you can retire independently wealthy, with few if any trappings of wealth. And, you can occasionally go on a Celebrity cruise, where people who tie all their (much higher) income up in the trappings of wealth will look down on you because you wear overalls...

Just saying...

Before you move....

Thanks!

Nieuw Amsterdam/Eastern Caribbean (Half Moon Key, Grand Turk, St.Thomas, San Juan).

The ship overall is slightly above Viking in class.

Viking is actually a kind of its smaller copy with some misses and some improvements

A close to the sea private yacht feel yet a fully loaded first class resort ship, good to very good buffet, very good MDR (excellent gala dinners), excellent specialty restaurants, two public lounges, aft pool adults only, elegant reserved in tones interiors, first class spa (much better than Viking), large sports court, full circle luxury promenade deck, enormous sun decks, full size theater, live orchestra (10 musicians on the stage), daily afternoon tea, fresh flowers everywhere, good service, wide selection of cabins (standard interiors, large interiors, standard window, starndard balcony, let's say "Sky Suite" or "Sky Suite Plus" type of suites, 2 penthouse suites).

No smell of class division.

Value for money - outstanding.

Itinerary - a combination available to Carnival Corp. brands only with HMC being a single best cruise line private island (at least until the Ocean Cay is ready) and Grand Turk (Carnival "private" recreation beach area on the island). St. Thomas and San Juan are well-known.

The itinerary is what Viking (a Caribbean "newbie") can only dream about.

Am I advertising the ship?

Not at all. You saw the pictures. A short review will be on the HAL board.

1. The ship was built in 2010 and does not need my help.

2. I don't have a favorite cruise line.

The reason why I've posted so many words was covered in my previous post: "loyalty" = "Horse eye shades". Loyal cruisers often don't realize what is going on next door.

What I want is to help the OP feel better and stay cruising...

Nancyshaw,

Why not try one of a few best cruise ships available before setting sail on your new prospective favorite? I'm quiet about the price difference.

Enjoy your cruises!

You are totally correct. We LOVE that itinerary and have done it five times on Nieuw Amsterdam's sister Eurodam, We typically sail between December and February and pay about $799 for a week in a balcony cabin. Great food and service on a beautiful ship.

And you forgot BBKings and Dueling Pianos.

Before you move....

Thanks!

Nieuw Amsterdam/Eastern Caribbean (Half Moon Key, Grand Turk, St.Thomas, San Juan).

The ship overall is slightly above Viking in class.

Viking is actually a kind of its smaller copy with some misses and some improvements

Am I advertising the ship?

I am sorry - Viking - are you referring to a Viking class in HAL (if there is such a thing) or Viking cruises?

I was advised by our TA that HAL (as a rule) attracts older clientele - would you agree with this statement?

thank you!

I was advised by our TA that HAL (as a rule) attracts older clientele - would you agree with this statement?

I've been sailing HAL since I was 48. Demographic onboard depends on time of year and length of cruise. I don't find the passengers to be any different than on Princess cruises. I've done longer Carnival cruises with the same age range, generally 40 - 80+.

Roz

I am sorry - Viking - are you referring to a Viking class in HAL (if there is such a thing) or Viking cruises?

thank you!

I have seen more scooters on Celebrity than HAL.

HAL is said to attract more elderly people because they have many world cruises or segments of them lasting 30 days or more. The only people who have that much time off are typically retirees.

On a 7-11 night itinerary to anywhere you will have many families, young couples, and 40s and up.

Oh what a lively discussion- I have to agree with OP- he is right- of course! " I am on my way since three years" - and a nice way it is, too- with Cunard and HAL.

What I don´t get is the problem with scooters, walkers etc. , some complain of! We all might need the assistance of said contraptions. When some of the users go pushi or rude- well I know what to tell them- and I am not afraid to speak up to such people, may they be elderly or younger!

For those who sail X for the first time- after arriving there from- well Carnival, Costa- even RCCL- i guess they are still will be impressed and appreicate the " Modern Luxury- Nonsense"X praises like sour gone beer! It´s the loyal X cruisers- Elite- Elite Plus etc. who feel the difference!

Oh what a lively discussion

What I don´t get is the problem with scooters, walkers etc. , some complain of! We all might need the assistance of said contraptions.

Can’t speak for everyone- I don’t have a problem at all, it was a question to someone whose recently done HAL and was fondly sharing their experience. I did not have impression that HAL was predominantly older clientele (I did not ask about disability or incapacity/ mere the age group ). I was just questioning the advice I was given. Roz answered this very nicely and on the point. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've been sailing HAL since I was 48. Demographic onboard depends on time of year and length of cruise. I don't find the passengers to be any different than on Princess cruises. I've done longer Carnival cruises with the same age range, generally 40 - 80+.

Roz

[emoji106]thank you!

I have seen more scooters on Celebrity than HAL.

HAL is said to attract more elderly people because they have many world cruises or segments of them lasting 30 days or more. The only people who have that much time off are typically retirees.

On a 7-11 night itinerary to anywhere you will have many families, young couples, and 40s and up.

This makes sense- thanks a lot!

Ultimately, the things so many find negative and disappointing about X is that they remember the 'good old days.' We want things to be as good as they used to be. But we've all grown a bit jaded about cruising. The first ten times is ALWAYS better than the 31st through 40th cruise. It's human nature.

And, let's get real. X is changing it's product to appeal to younger demographics. The loyalists are getting old and will either stop being able to physically travel or croak. Like all businesses, Celebrity needs new customers, and they will change to attract those new customers. If that means losing some of the loyalist (many of whom have grown tired of the product anyway), I don't think they care all that much.

Whether they are successful or not - who knows.

One of the smartest posts in this thread!

I've been following this thread since I'm considering a South American/Antarctica cruise on Celebrity in early 2020. The question about the passenger demographic issue hasn't been answered. What issue? I'm concerned I won't fit into the acceptable demographic and be shunned.

Roz

If you go with such an attitude, then you will be shunned.

I cruise for the holiday, itinerary and ship and not for my fellow passengers who I will probably never see again.

After (or before) dinner, get yourself to the Martini Bar, within minutes you will be involved in conversations with other guest. I can say "Cheers" in about a dozen languages, certainly breaks the ice.

"Don't worry - be cruising".